• Published 30th May 2013
  • 2,107 Views, 9 Comments

Fifteen by Five - Cynical



A collection of oneshot shipping prompts.

  • ...
2
 9
 2,107

A Kiss (RariShy)

Fluttershy sat in the quiet waiting room, flicking through a small magazine that had been left behind by one of the previous occupants. Every week, she came here at exactly one o’clock to wait for Rarity. She knew that their appointment wasn’t until quarter-past the hour, but that didn’t stop her from hoping that she’d have some more time to talk to Rarity again.

One day, she hoped that she’d gather enough courage to ask her the question… to show her just how much she meant to her. But… that sort of courage was beyond her, at least for the moment. Two sides of her were at war with one another… She wanted Rarity to notice her, to see just how much she pined for her soft touch and tender embrace…

But… then… she didn’t. She didn’t want to change what they already had. She couldn’t bear the thought of rejection, no matter how gently Rarity said no. She turned the page. She smiled briefly as some memories reappeared. She’d been in a magazine one before. She’d been in every magazine. The star of the show, the prodigy of the fashion catwalk. And then… she wasn’t.

Friendship was a funny thing… if it hadn’t been Rarity, stood there from the beginning and telling her to aim high, to keep going… then she would have left after the first day. Rarity was the one Fluttershy could trust. She could, and would, trust Rarity with her life if it came down to it. Her opinion was the most valued and her advice, the most treasured.

It was a silent love she had of the perfect partner. Rarity was everything Fluttershy wished she was… she was one of the most forward ponies she knew and she would never back down in a crisis. If that meant that Fluttershy had to continue her modelling career for one pony, then so be it. She would do it… for Rarity.

The bell chimed as the door to the spa opened, admitting the mare herself. Fluttershy stood up to greet her, putting the magazine down and smiling at Rarity who was already talking. “Good afternoon, Fluttershy. How are you, my dear? You look tired, have you been sleeping well?”

Fluttershy kept smiling as the words surrounded her and engulfed her in their speed and their care. “I’m fine, thank you for asking Rarity,” she replied, moving forwards to meet Rarity in a hug. “What about you?”

Rarity patted her on the back before breaking away from the hug and sitting down on the chairs. “Oh, I’m… so-so. Could be better, could be worse. But neither you, nor I, came here to hear me complain about my life.”

Fluttershy shook her head at Rarity, sitting down next to her. “No,” she started, smiling amicably, “It is never bad if you want to get something out of your system. I’ll listen if you like. Talking to someone else always helps me when I get annoyed.”

“Fluttershy, dear, I really don’t want to mar our weekly trip with my own misfortunes. Why don’t you tell me about your week? If I’m still troubled, I’ll talk after. How does that sound?”

Fluttershy nodded before launching into her life. “Well… I don’t know if you’ve heard, but Angel found a mate. They’ve been getting to know each other and I really, really think that he’s finally going to settle down.”

“That’s wonderful,” Rarity exclaimed, smiling widely. “So has he stopped being so overprotective yet?”

“Not quite yet,” Fluttershy admitted, smiling into space. “But I think it’s only a matter of time. He seems much calmer than before. It’s almost like I’m living with a new rabbit.”

“So you think I’ll be able to bring Opal around without incident yet?” Rarity quizzed with a knowing smirk.

“Well, I wouldn’t quite go that far,” Fluttershy chuckled softly. “I’m sure the two of them would still have some disagreements, whatever the weather.” Fluttershy paused for a moment before she continued, “But that’s not all… Someone else has come to my cottage for looking after.” She leant in conspiratorially towards Rarity, glancing around quickly.

Rarity obliged, leaning in to meet Fluttershy halfway when she spoke in a voice barely above that of a whisper, “A timberwolf has moved in.” Rarity’s eyes widened in surprise and she gasped audibly. “Shh…” Fluttershy insisted, glancing around her again. “I really don’t want anypony else knowing about him, they might get the wrong impression.”

Rarity replied with her own confiding whisper, “Are you sure you know what you’re doing, Fluttershy? Don’t you remember what they were planning to do to poor Applejack and Spike a few weeks ago?”

Fluttershy nodded slightly before replying, “Yes… but this one came to me; he wanted to be healed. You know I can’t turn away anyone in need.”

Rarity nodded, sighing as she drew back, sitting back into the chair again. “I hope you know what you’re doing, Fluttershy. All it takes is one moment of… You get my point.”

Fluttershy sighed, leaning back again, “And you have my promise that I’ll be careful. Now… what about your problems?” Fluttershy prompted, feeling unusually brave as she changed the topic.

“That little thing?” Rarity started, “It’s nothing you’d be interested in, I’m sure. It’s simply a personal problem that I’ve been having, nothing to worry your head about.”

“Rarity…” Fluttershy prompted, still smiling.

“Yes?” Rarity asked, her smile slightly too wide for comfort.

“You’re babbling again,” Fluttershy stated, “If you really don’t want to share, you don’t have to. It’s just that it feels better to talk to someone else sometimes. Heaven knows, I’ve spilt my secrets to Angel more than once.”

Rarity took a deep breath before exhaling. “Sorry dear… It’s just been a hectic week, that’s all. Then again… maybe you’re right… maybe talking to someone else about it would help… Are you sure you don’t mind?” she asked, turning to Fluttershy again.

“I’m absolutely positive,” Fluttershy reassured, “It’s what friends do, right?”

“Right… friends…” Rarity murmured quietly to herself before speaking up again, “It’s just been a very long week for me. Firstly I’ve been given a large amount of new orders for Canterlot. It’s all very well and good that I get the business, however I’d like to have the time to do it in my own stead, rather than theirs.”

Fluttershy nodded understandingly as Rarity continued on, “And then there’s Sweetie Belle, bless her heart. I love her to bits… but when I’m trying to work on a large order, there really is no place for a little filly in my house. I’ve tried sending her out to visit Applebloom and Scootaloo, but that only works for when they’re out and about.” Rarity sighed, closing her eyes as she leant back into the chair.

“And then there’s the other problem that I have… Every day of every week for the past few months… Fluttershy? What do you know about romance?”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened at the question and she stumbled over her words before she answered, “Well… not much- well… enough- well… why do you ask?” Her mind was running wild… She’s in love with someone else, of course she is… why else would she ask?

“No reason…” Rarity answered quickly. “Well… Actually… there is a reason. Fluttershy… there’s this mar- this pony that I like. I think She- I mean- they’re the one…”

Fluttershy fought to keep her smile in place as her heart sank further down into her stomach. Even though her heart ached, she opened her mouth and continued the conversation, “Oh… how lovely… What’s she like?”

Completely missing Fluttershy’s distress, Rarity sighed happily, “Oh… she’s wonderful. She’s beautiful, graceful and caring beyond measure.” Fluttershy’s heart clenched again as each word passed her by. Beautiful, graceful and caring? Who could that be if not Twilight? “And she doesn’t know.” Rarity finished her sentence and turned to Fluttershy imploringly, even as she watched her hopes and dreams rain down around her. “How do you do it, Fluttershy? How do you tell someone that you love them?”

Fluttershy tried to keep the sadness from her smile as she replied, “I always imagined that I’d greet them with a kiss… to tell them that I loved them as I kissed her deeply…” She turned away, trying to blink away the tears in her eyes without Rarity noticing.

“You mean like this?”

Fluttershy turned and met Rarity head-on. She felt Rarity’s mouth meet her own. She felt Rarity’s mouth part around her own as her own mirrored the action. She felt Rarity as their mouths danced the song of their first kiss together.

She felt wonderful.

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking an age and a half to update this...
The AppleDash prompt was giving me some grief.

/me runs away

Comments ( 2 )

adorableee!!!!!!! Fluttersquee!!~ :yay:

First i was like :pinkiegasp: then:trixieshiftright:then:rainbowhuh:than :yay::yay::yay:

Login or register to comment