• Published 27th May 2013
  • 1,232 Views, 36 Comments

Learn to Love - Leapingriver



Ditzy, aka Derpy, is no stranger to being bullied and expects to be by anypony she meets. But Ditzy is about to find out that not everypony you meet is a bully, and help and understanding can come from the most unexpected of sources.

  • ...
1
 36
 1,232

Chapter 1: Somepony Special

It was a cold and blustery morning, typical this time of year in Cloudsdale. A light snow was falling and clung to the ground only a few seconds before melting. A young gray pegasus flew through streets of Cloudsdale, her blonde mane waving in the wind as she quickened her pace. She hated crowds. Something you unfortunately could not avoid in a town as busy and as populated as Cloudsdale, but she learned that if you left early enough you could beat the hordes of pegasus swarming to their jobs and daily activities. Checking the time she realized she had a little more time than previously calculated, slowing down she entered one of the few shops that were opened at this hour. There was a soft ting as she pushed open the door and walked into the warm building.

“Mornin’, Mr. Bran.”

An almond colored stallion looked up from behind the counter and smiled, “Good Morning Ditzy, haven’t seen you in ‘bout a week. The usual?”

Ditzy smiled back, “Yeah, I’ve been running late these past few days so I haven’t had the chance to stop by. Oh yes please.” The stallion nodded, then slid back the glass on the display case and pulled out a rack full of baked breakfast goods. “Which will you be having today, Miss. Doo?” he asked.

Ditzy looked over the tantalizingly delicious treats, she could feel her mouth start to water as their aroma reached her nose. After contemplating for a minute she decided, “One cornbread muffin, please. Oh, and make it to go please” she added glancing at the clock. Ditzy licked her lips as he wrapped her breakfast. When she wasn't looking, Mr. Bran discreetly slipped an extra muffin into his best customer's bag. He was quite fond of Ditzy, he was an old friend of the family and he cared for her like he would his own daughter. “That’ll be 2 bits, Miss. Doo.”

Ditzy snapped her eyes forward and had to blink to get them to focus on the register; her wayward eyes, once relaxed, had rolled off in different directions. Shaking her head in hopes of getting her eyes to straighten only resulted in disorienting them even more. She became even more frazzled when she saw Mr. Bran’s apple green eyes watching her struggle. She felt the heat rise in her cheeks and her eyes sting; it was so embarrassing. She always tried to look and act like a grown pony around Mr. Bran, she didn't want him thinking she was a baby, but now here she was; eyes crossed and brimming with tears. Ditzy squeezed her eyes shut and, ignoring her dampened eyelashes, counted to three. W-wone… t-two… th-three. Deep breath Ditzy, she told herself.

Mr. Bran waited patiently as Ditzy slowly calmed herself and tried to refocus her eyes. He was no stranger to her floating eyes and he saw nothing wrong with her because of it, but he knew they were a great deal of embarrassment to the young mare. He watched as Ditzy reached into her saddlebag and placed her bits on the counter, her eyes never leaving the floor. He suspected that her eyes were still askew, and she was ashamed. His thoughts were confirmed when she choked out a small apology.

“Sorry for what, Ditzy?”, he asked?
"Um, um f-for, um. Oh I don’t know!” She wailed, “For, for, being me.”

“There’s nothing wrong with being you, hon. Don’t let anypony ever let you think otherwise.” Mr. Bran walked around the counter to the gray mare sitting miserably on the floor. Wrapping a wing around Ditzy’s shoulder he drew her into a warm embrace. “You are a very beautiful, talented, and caring mare.” he gently pushed her chin up until her eyes were level with his, “Never let what others say bring you down, Ditzy. No matter what they say, know, you are special and unique. Don’t you ever try to change that about yourself. Who else in your entire school taught themselves to fly, hmm? Tell me; nopony else am I right?”

Ditzy sniffled and gave a small nod, “B-but… they all fly so much better than I do. They don’t crash into things or fall down or always wreck things like I do.”

Mr. Bran shook his head before answering her, “But don’t you see Ditzy? That’s what makes you a better flyer than any of them. You know how to fall down and get back up. You know how to take failure then dust yourself off and try again. You have that strength Ditzy, the strength to keep going, that I’m sure none of the other fillies and colts in your class have. They don’t know how to take failure or loss without losing their cool and blaming somepony else. They don’t know because everything was given to them. They were lucky enough to have straight wings, straight eyes, and someone guiding them to sugarcoat their failures. You didn't, and look at the talented mare you've become.”

Ditzy was at a loss for words, never had anyone in her entire life complimented her like that. Was she really that special? She looked back at Mr. Bran; he looked so sure of himself, so confident in her. “Do- do you really mean that Mr. Bran?”

“With all my heart Ditzy, with all my heart.”

He chuckled before chanting, “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a muffin in my eye.” Ditzy couldn't suppress a giggle, surprised that the old baker had remembered the silly rhyme from so long ago. Mr. Bran smiled, “Now scoot you silly filly, or you’ll be late for school.” Ditzy gasped when she saw that she would make it just barely in time for school, if she hurried. “Oh no, I’ll be late, I’ll be late!” Quickly fishing out 2 bits from her saddle bag she shoved them into Mr. Bran’s hooves, “Thank you, thank you soo much. I have to go now, sorry, bye” She gave him a quick hug then darted out of the bakery and off to school.

“Wait, you already paid for the--” Mr. Bran began to shout, but she was already gone. Looking down at the 2 bits in his hoof he shook his head and let out a small laugh, “Can’t get nothing past you, eh Ditzy?” Still smiling he tucked the ‘extra’ bits in his aprons pocket; she always seemed to know when he packed an extra muffin and she’d always, somehow, pay for it. “You really are something Ditzy, you really are something.” he said to himself.
~~

Ditzy flapped her wings faster; she only had five minutes before the morning bell rung to signal the start of school. Luckily the school came into view sooner than she thought. Without slowing down Ditzy threw open the door and zipped in. She knew she wouldn't have time to stop by her locker but she might have enough time to eat her muffin before class started. She zigzagged through the hallways, with minimal damage, and reached her classroom. After catching her breathe she chose to walk through the rear door, fewer ponies would stare at her than if she walked through the front. Ditzy walked to her seat in the second to last row, head bent and avoiding the eyes of her classmates the whole way. A quick glance at the clock told her it was three minutes to seven. She smiled and opened up her parcel from the bakery and pulled out her muffin, she was about to bite into the delicious crumbly goodness when the front door suddenly slammed open.

Ditzy inhaled sharply when she saw who had just walked– er barged– through the door. She nearly choked on a piece of muffin, her heart was racing. Oh why now, why can’t I ever enjoy a muffin in peace?

Author's Note:

This is my first pony fanfiction, so constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed.