• Published 24th May 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 43 Comments

Out of Style - Vv_-Carnelian-_vV



After everypony getting tired of Rarity's fashion style, and her not being able to get clients, Rarity is forced to file bankruptcy and has to move out with Sweetie Bell and sell her home and belongings.

  • ...
7
 43
 1,787

Chapter Two

Five years ago, Canterlot, five days till Hearths Warming Eve

It was a beautiful day in Canterlot, a setting perfect filled with white frost everywhere. Rarity was taking a stroll down a street in her new winter attire she designed for herself: a hat, scarf, and boots of different shades of dark and light purple. She was on her way to the post office to drop off a few packages for her family. She had even gotten Applejack a gift, a old pocket watch of bronze with a rustic silver apple on the cap. Sure, Applejack had no use for it, but it was the thought that counted. She arrived at the one story building and entered inside. Luckily the heating was on for a while, filling Rarity with a warm greeting upon her entrance. She noticed the post office was still the same even though the employees went on and on about redecoration from the old white walls, blue carpet, and office plants. She did however find that there was a muffin basket on a small table near the entrance with a little post-it note on it that read, 'Eat me, I'm free!'. Doing what the muffins desired (they wanted to be eaten, so what if she was on a diet), she picked one up with her telekinesis and took a bite of a banana-nut muffin. Then she saw a pink blur outside a window as if someone was following her and glaring through her soul...

"Yay! Someone ate a muffin!" Yelled a gray unicorn filly that was skipping towards the entrance along with a brown stallion with a hourglass cutie mark. Rarity then smiled as she recognized the two ponies as Time Turner and his Daughter Dinky. She then waved a hoof towards them and went over to meet them halfway of their path towards her.

"Ah, Doctor! How are you and Ditzy? I see that your daughter is doing excellent." Rarity cheerfully stated.

"Oh, Hello Rarity! We're doing great! Only five days till Hearths Warming Eve, isn't that right Dinky?" asked Time Turner. As Rarity shifted her gaze from the stallion to Dinky, she noticed that the filly was shaking with wide eyed excitement.

"I'M SO EXCITED!!!!" a enthusiastic Dinky Hooves cheered loudly.

"Huh; Well darling, I wish you good luck in the five days to come..." stated the seamstress with mocked pity. In response Turner glared at Rarity with envy.

The only children she had to put up with were her sister and her two crusading friends, whom were at Ponyville. Rarity was staying at Canterlot for a period of a estimate of eight months, much to her friends dismay. She assured them she would visit them whenever she had the time, which was always the weekends and holidays, and also promised to write often. She always got letters the day after she sent them, curse spike and his emerald fire. Still, she was glad for the instantaneous letters. They helped her remember all of the fun times she shared with her friends. Two friends of hers that she made while in her time in Canterlot were a gray coated earth pony mare named Octavia who had a beautiful black mane. While the other, Glittershot, a unicorn who styled a red mane with a white streak in it and had a pale olive coat. They were a cellist and a photographer respectively and they were near the top in their lines of work.

Rarity had taken the two of them to Ponyville many times to meet her friends, which also happened to be the place where Octavia meet a Unicorn of the name Vinyl Scratch. The two of them had been dating for six months now and from the last time she heard from Vinyl, she planned to propose to Octavia tonight at their favorite restaurant. She was happy for the two of them, but she was worried for herself and Glittershot's work. A new line of fashion had started emerging called 'Steampunk'. It was mainly based off of a grim color scheme with gears and old machinery. It was extremely popular with young mares of noble status, at least that's where Rarity and Glittershot hoped it stayed. Unfortunately, fate had other ideas and thought that having every mare in Canterlot be in love with the fashion. Heck even some stallions were getting a little bit into it. But she didn't want to think about it. she was still getting her same clients and agents to get her work and payment, so she didn't mind the fashion for now. She didn't know that her opinion was about to change very soon.

"Rarity! Rarity, I thought that was you!" shouted a scared voice rushing into the post office. Rarity turned to she it was her friend Glittershot, wide-eyed and what seemed to be in a panic. The photographer was catching her breath and was desperately trying to say words but they came out as a mumbling rant of confusion.

"Glittershot! Take in a deep breath and focus!" shouted Rarity in concern for what had Glittershot so worried. She was always a level headed mare who never lost her cool even when she was taken to court for quote/ unquote, "Careless-and-unmoderate-behavior-of-over-excessive-habits-of-the-beverage-nature," and was forced to pay a five-hundred bit fine.

Glitter shot began to breath easily and took a drink of water from Time Turner when he offered her one. She began to ramble about the problem at hoof. "Raritywehavetohurrymybrothersareincaterlotandtheyare-".

"Glittershot! SLOW. DOWN. I can't hear you if your talking too fast darling!" scolded Rarity.

"For Celestia's sake, MY BROTHERS ARE IN CANTERLOT PROMOTING STEAMPUNK FASHION AND THEY HAVE NEARLY HALF THE CITY INTO IT BY NOW!" Screamed Glittershot. Rarity stood there in shock at what she said.

"What!? Where are those ruffians!? We have to stop them!" Rarity was scared. If they succeeded then the two of them would be out of work for a long time, if not forever.

"Doctor? Could you be a dear and check these in for me please? Also, say hello to your wife for me!" Rarity asked as polite as possible while placing her presents to her family and Applejack around Time Turner. After placing the last package, the two older unicorns galloped to Glittershot's bothers with Glittershot leading the way. They had to stop them from ruining the fashion world that respected them!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe they actually did it..." Glittershot morned as she was packing her suitcase. Unlike Rarity, Glittershot always carried only one suitcase at all times. She didn't like packing very much, due to the fact that it reminded her of the days when she traveled with her brothers Flim and Flam. They always had to ruin everything, from Applejacks cider seasons to Glittershots photoshoots, and always ran off before getting what they deserved. Rarity was feeling bad for her companion. Her own brothers were supporting the thing that was ruining her carreer and when they had talked to them after their show was over (they had gotten there after the show had ended for a while and the brothers were packing up and could see what was going on,) Flim and Flam were overjoyed,

'You mean little Glittershot will be out of work!? That's brilliant! She can help us on our traveling shows again!'

It was depressing, seeing the look on the face of the sister of the twins when she heard them say that. Glittershot may be a bit blunt at times, as well as picky; but she was a honest, kind, hard-working mare who took a great passion in what she did. Rarity stood at the door to Glittershot's room in their apartment, with her things already packed. Then they both heard the front door click and opened, and a voice sounded throughout the apartment.

"Glittershot? Rarity? You two still here?" It was Octavia, she must've heard about the Flim Flam brothers show and about how they got nearly everypony in Canterlot into the new fashion.

"In here Octavia dear, in Glittershot's room finishing packing." called back Rarity.

"Packing!? You guys are leaving Canterlot? Bummer..." complained a soon saddened Vinyl who had apparently tagged along with Octavia.

"Yes, I'm moving back to Ponyville, while Glittershot here is... I'm sorry but where are you going again darling?"

"Actually... I was hoping to crash with you till I find a company or agent looking for a photographer..." Responded Glittershot with a nervous grin while she was packing up her only other baggage that she normally left at home unless she was moving, a camera case with a varieties of lens and films along with the actual camera itself. She took great pride in that camera. She had received it from her father who had passed on and encouraged her always take pictures of it so she could share her memories with all whom she cared about. Flim and Flam had almost broke it once on accident without realizing it belonged to their sister. Which of course, led her to run off from their scamming life style.

Rarity sighed in response, Glittershot started to make huge sad eyes and pouted her lip. The seamstress remembered her little sister Sweetie Belle and Ponyville's party animal, Pinkie Pie, always making this face towards her whenever they wanted something from her. She tried many times to resist but to no avail she would never win. The same had been true for Glittershot, for Rarity tried everything from avoiding her to even wearing a blindfold but none the less the yellow unicorn never lost.

"Okay, but please don't make Applejack mad... she is still sore about the last time your brothers visited Ponyville." Rarity conceded.

Then came a awkward silence as the four of them shivered from what happened when the twins decided to return to Ponyville for a second time. Rarity knew Applejack very well; but she never knew that the cowpony, or anypony for that matter, could fit two stallions of their size into such a small barrel...

"Even if I hate my brothers with a passion... That was a little bit too mean..." Glittershot quietly stated. The others nodded their heads in silence.

After a half-hour of packing their eleven suitcases, most of them Rarity's, they sat in the living room talking for one last night. They chatted about Vinyl and Octavia's engagement, Rarity's presents, and all of the memories they shared since they all moved to Canterlot.

"Ha-ha! Yea... I'm so going to miss this place..." laughed Vinyl. Glittershot and Rarity looked at each other in confusion.

"What do you mean? You're not moving are you?" asked Glittershot. Vinyl and her Fiancé looked at each other and nodded.

"After we heard about Glittershot's brothers getting everyone into Steampunk, me and Vinyl agreed to move to another town because we were sure that the two of you would move away from Canterlot and we didn't want our friendship to fall apart for some reason... We were thinking about moving to Ponyville but it will take us a few years due to having to tie things down here. Vinyl has a four year contract with this one Radio station that sends her to random clubs around the city that she needs to find a way out of. While myself on the other hoof, have to wait till I can make the arrangements for moving and getting a house built in Ponyville." Octavia explained in a reassuring tone.

Rarity didn't know it but she had a blank look on her face. Her friends were willing to move with her in order to preserve their friendship? She smiled, of course... that's the point of a true friend...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present

"...And after that, I've had a dramatic decrease in sells. In my last year I pretty much was just doing Nightmare Night costumes and decorations... I've been trying to find other jobs but no one in Ponyville needs someone of my talents... I really didn't want to move unless it was the last option I had to find work... Vinyl and Octavia moved to Ponyville as they had planned and are raising a filly that Octavia carried thanks to a 'donor' and are expecting another, only this time it's Vinyl. Glittershot, I believe she told me she got a short-term contract with a Canterlot fashion line for Steampunk. She tells me she hates it, but it is a source of income so I encouraged her to stay with them as long as possible..." Sighed Rarity.

She took a look at the clock and noticed that it was very late into the night and looked around the room, only to see that Granny Smith wasn't the only one listening to her story. Applejack, Big Mac, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle were gathered around the room listening to her story. When the former seamstress realized this she started to blush.

"Geez Rar'... Ah didn't think ya had such a rough an' tough time up in Canterlot... When ah asked, ya just said that it went great..." Applejack stated with a tad bit of guilt... How come she never noticed? She had to find a way to make her feel better...

Rarity attempted to cheer up Applejack, "I didn't want to worry anypony now... It was... not that easy to tell anypony that I would most likely end up jobless..."

"Still... oh, ah still got that fancy' pocket watch thingy ya' gave me." Applejack was sure that would cheer up the white mare.

Rarity gave a light blush, "You still have it? You took care of it and everything?" She truly didn't expect her to keep the thing after all of these years, honestly she though it must've broke by now...

"Yeah, you should've seen Applejack when it stopped working," snickered Applebloom, "she was in such a panic that she was in tears! 'Ah broke it! Ah broke it! What am ah gonna do once Rar'- ' Ow! That hurt!"

"Varmint" grumbled the blushing cowpony.

Rarity then noticed something on Applebloom's flank, "Applebloom dear, excuse me for not noticing earlier but did you get your cutie mark?" she inquired. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle looked and they both gave a nervous grin at a apple-shaped gear with smaller circle shaped ones around it.

"Oh, that... ah got it after fixin' that pocket watch," she said with a nervous grin. This got Rarity thinking about something.

"Did Scootaloo get hers?" When the two crusaders shook their heads, she was kind of disappointed. Well at least the Cutie mark Crusaders were off to a good start.

They continued the night and talked about all the things Rarity had missed while working hard to keep her home. From Twilight dating Rainbow dash; to Vinyl and Octavia's two children (Rarity attended their wedding thank Celestia,) Ballad and Remix, a unicorn sister and earth pony brother respectively. They gossiped that Lyra and Bon-Bon were also married and had a new born filly of their own, born from Bon-Bon, that they named Sweet Note. Rarity also learned that Spike and Silver Spoon started dating, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon both started being nicer after a accident that Applebloom and the crusaders saved them from. Rarity realized that she missed out on so much, and all from trying to keep the home for herself and her sister... The irony. She tried to save her home so she wouldn't have to move so she could experience these moments, but in doing so... wow... it was like there was somepony looking at all of this in wide perspective and lining up events exactly as they were happening... and also had a very odd sense of humor...

As the night went on, one-by-one they went off to bed. Soon it was just Applejack and Rarity, staring into each others eyes. Rarity noticed her mane was relaxed and not styled as it normally was, she was thinking about putting her hair into a bun real quick when Applejack said something that made her blush.

"Ah' like your mane Rar'... It looks... err, p-pretty..." stuttered the country mare in a light blush. Hold on did Applejack...?

"You think I'm... pretty? Applejack darling... do you have a crush on me?" she asked with a knowing smile. It wasn't suggestive. It wasn't menacing. It was... kind...

Applejack responded by looking away and biting her cheek, "W-what a-ah don't know what ya' talkin' bout'!"

"Applejack, it's okay if you do... I... kind of had one on you too..." She blushed... she never thought that she would've ever admitted it to Applejack but she had done exactly that! She was nervous that the cowpony wouldn't take her seriously, but her doubts went away when she felt a pair of warm lips come into contact with hers. The two of them were in a passionate kiss. It lasted for ten minutes with breaks in between for breathing. But sadly, they couldn't kiss all night. So Rarity started to walk towards Applejack's room with the concerned party following her closely. When they entered, it was a plain wooden room with a simple pink-sheeted double bed. Applejack and her were talking one last time for the night about what was planned tomorrow.

"So what is it I will be doing here?" asked Rarity.

"Well, on our way to town, me and Big Mac were talkin' and sayin' that ya could watch over the girls, run errands, and such... kinda like one em... nanniemaids... you always kept a clean house, and Sweetie and Applebloom shouldn't be hard to handle now that they are in there teen years. Plus it will allow me and Mac to get to work sooner and get done earlier." explained the orange mare.

Rarity smiled warmly and gave Applejack one last kiss on the cheek, "That sounds as good as sugar, Darling..." after that, Rarity went to sleep. Excited to start her new life at Sweet Apple Acres....

Author's Note:

I doubled the size of chapters based off two things!
- I FEEL BAD FOR MAKING YOU WAIT SO LONG!!! I'M SORRY!!!
- People are liking (I am 86.79532% sure most of you are drunk if you enjoy my writing...) my story so I thought...
Moar...
Anyways I hope you all liked this chapter and , as always, remember that critics get first dibs on the guns in the gun cabinet for my execution by public humiliation firing squad... Oh! I almost forgot! The syrup, feathers, and mongoose are in the wardrobe next to the guns. See you soon and remember to look out for grammar and spelling errors... tired me wrote this and some of us know how that went...

P.S.- I've been wanting a cover for this, but I'm horrible so I was wondering if anyone wanted to make one for it out of the kindness of their heart... *puppy pinkie face of cuteness +10*