• Published 27th Aug 2013
  • 863 Views, 32 Comments

The Unexpecting Journey - dquiroga



three explorers took to much than they can chew and find themselves in the world of equestria. now they only wish to find their way home, but there's something that lurks within the shadows, something from long ago...

  • ...
10
 32
 863

PreviousChapters Next
chapter 3 the village part 1: Learning the mythos/ the under-toll booth/ under-toll to under-brawl

Learning the mythos


I was pretty glad we were able to gain a guide so early in our journey. However, I would have wished it were under better circumstances. We needed her to be able to get an upper hand with the locals and to give us direction. She needed us, most likely, for protection, because of her vulnerable state. The things that attacked her were unknown to us, but they did remind me about the portraits we seen in the castle. The portrait seemed to have portrayed some kind of war against these creatures, but Gilda said she’d never seen such creatures before. The portraits must be images of the past. I knew they weren’t portraying the future, because there were multiple humans in them and only three of us. I’m guessing that those events happened so long ago, that all records of it had been lost in time. I began to think about the knight Nathaniel, when I remembered about the one human that had a necklace in the portrait. ‘He had a medallion. Could he be the one in the pictures?’ the evidence does seem to match up. ‘Who was that horse that was next to him?’ Nathanial was the one who could have told me about these past events. ‘Wait, Gilda said that there are myths about humans.


“Hey Gilda, you said that humans exist only as myth. Mind telling us what those myths are.” I asked.

“Well, there’s not much to say.” She said, trying to remember the tales she had heard, “humans existed a very long time ago, but suddenly disappeared somehow. There was no found evidence that they truly existed, but it is said that they are dangerous and chaotic.”

This vague image of humanity was quite interesting and somewhat true. Humanity does have the ability to create chaos, but we also have the ability to bring order and stability. With our understanding of right or wrong, we tend to balance ourselves in the matter.

“So do you think we are?” I asked.

“Are what?”

“Chaotic.”

“Well I haven’t really known you for very long, but, as far as I can tell, you’re not so bad. After all, you did save my life.” She answered.

“It was a pleasure.” I said, with a smile.

She laughed a bit from my gesture.

“Hey, you said where you come from I’m considered a myth to, care to tell?” she asked, curious at what I had to say.

“Hmm, where do I start? Griffons are considered creature of nobility and majesty. They are also considered as guardians of the divine or priceless treasures.” I said trying to recall what I know.

“It is said that they have healing abilities with their feathers or talons.” Jordan added.

“Anyway, carvings, portraits, and sculptures of griffons were dated back to ancient times, but any evidence found for these creatures were either false or misinterpreted.” I ended.

“Wow, I… I don’t even know what to say about that.” She exclaimed.

The view on humanity is quite, concurringly negative. ‘This could make conversations pretty awkward.’ I decided to change the subject.

“Hey, since we are going to be acquainted, mind telling us more about yourself?” I asked.

“Well, if you really want to know, I was born in the city of Highfeather, but I was raised for sometime of my cub life in Cloudsdale.” She answered.

It suddenly hit me. The mention of Cloudsdale, and the fact that her name sounded familiar was beginning to stitch together. ‘Holy sh#t, no wonder her name sounded familiar, she’s Gilda from that show.’ Memories of the show began flooding in, and the one episode she was in as well. She was supposedly childhood friends with a Pegasus named Rainbow Dash, but they had a bit of a disagreement about Dash’s friends and broke up. I knew there was more to that episode, but I was trying to keep myself from proclaiming my knowledge to the world.

“I came from a rich family, and we are placed in high esteem…” she continued, “I had considerable training in the military, and I was best in class.”


Hearing about her background was intriguing, but she didn’t give many details about it. ‘A military type huh.’ I picked up the pride in those words.

“So let me get this straight. You’re from a family of nobles and was given the opportunity to train in the military without actually joining.” I said, putting things in simpler terms.

“Well, I guess you can say that…” she said, sounding a bit unsure about my details,” So what about you guys.”

“My friends and I were raised in the state called Florida. I could also safely say that we were all brought up in humble, moderate wealthy families. Jordan and I also trained in the military, but we served our years. During that time, Taphy went for college to study- uh.” I stopped, trying to remember what he went for.

“Business management and tech engineering!” Taphy blurted out.

“Oh, well he was quite successful. When we finished our service and Taphy’s career was stable, we all met up and decided to start exploring the world.” I finished.


I’m sure Gilda was impressed, because I knew I would be. A life of adventure and excitement is a good one, especially with friends.

“Wow, you guys sound pretty cool.” She said, with a hint of jealousy.

“Heh, I guess we are…” I said, “hey what were you doing out here anyway?”

There was a bit of a pause before she answered, probably trying to think of what she wants to say?

“I usually come here to relax. Whenever I feel stressed or if I want get away from things, I come here, like a vacation spot…” she finally said,” but this vacation trip went down the drain.”

I laughed at her last gesture, but I’m sure she wasn’t as amused as I was. ‘We all had those days.


We continued our trek, taking breaks now and then. The sun was beginning to go down; so I decided to call it a day and make camp. We made the tents, started the fire, and began to boil another batch of quick meal soup. I began to think back on our trip so far, while waiting for the soup to finish. The wildlife here is no different from back on earth. You have your birds, squirrels, and raccoons, but their textures looked a bit generic. Gilda told us that the forest was called Leafwood because of the consistency of it being lush and rich. The place is supposedly protected from settlements, making it a treasure to the country. I wouldn’t blame them, for it is everything they praise it to be.

“Soups ready everyone.” Jordan said, after tasting it.

We all grabbed our bowls and acquired our share of the soup. We all sat in our respective corners near the fire and enjoyed our meal. I noticed that Gilda was looking at my MP5, again. She’s been eyeing it now and then, during our trip. I decided to indulge in her curiosity.

“I couldn’t help but notice that you want to know what this is.” I said, grabbing my weapon and placing it in view.

“I know it’s a weapon, and I’ve seen what it could do…” she said, examining my weapon,” but I can’t put a claw on how it works.”

“Well you are right, that it is a weapon. It is a range weapon that is capable of shooting projectiles called bullets…” I said, explaining the parts of the gun,” it shoots it in such a high velocity, that it can be able to pierce through its target. There are many versions of these weapons in our world, with many different capabilities, but its main purpose is to kill or destroy. Like any other weapon, it must be used with care and responsibility.”

I tried to emphasize the dangers of such weapons.


Her fascination for my weapon was not lessening by my warning.

“I’ve never heard of such a weapon.” She exclaimed, acknowledging its capabilities.

“For what I can put together, our world is a lot more technologically advance then yours.” I explained.

“Well you don’t have to rub it in.” she ended.

I chuckled a bit and continued to enjoy our soup. Once we finished our dinner, we decided to do the same routine as last night.


I took first shift again, giving me some time alone to think. Apparently, we’re in a world of a kids cartoon, and our guide is an actual character from the show. I didn’t know how to explain this to my friends, but I believed it was best to keep my knowledge from the locals. I pulled out my I-Phone and began to listen to music. While I was trying to remember what I can from the show, I noticed that the battery on my device hasn’t changed since we got here. The battery should be close to dead by now. It then hit me. One of the biggest things in this world, that ours doesn’t have, is magic. Maybe magic flows here like a natural energy source. I began to think if humans are even capable of wielding magic, but there is no magic in our world; so there’s no real way of knowing. However, if we can, the possibilities could be endless. ‘This trip just got more interesting.


The under-toll booth

These humans are a lot more then I originally expected.’ Hearing about their advance weaponry, had left me in awe. Our latest advancement can’t even match such weaponry. I can’t even imagine what else these humans have in their world. However Daniel was quite serious about the dangers of such weaponry. I wanted to know more, but I decided to leave it for another time. Based on how close we were to the mountains, we were getting close to the underpass that leads into the village. Daniel told me to warn him ahead of time, when we’re getting to it.

“Hey Daniel, we are about an hour or so before we reach the underpass.” I said, informing him of our destination.

“Good to know, alright guys hold up…” he said, holding us up to dig in his bag, “knowing that humans have kind of a bad rap, I think it’s best to try to keep our identities hidden.”

He brought out a tent cover and began making knots, turning it into a makeshift cloak.

“Subtle, no one’s ever going to suspect the strange cloaked creature in any way.” I said sarcastically.

“Hey, the best course of action for these kind of scenarios is to lay low…” he retorted,” we’ll be the center of attention either way so might as well keep them guessing.”

Daniel’s friends took out their tent sheets and made make shift cloaks of their own.

“Hey, do you think you can make one for me?” I asked, feeling I should need one.

“Oh, now you’re starting to like the idea, huh. Why?” he said, demanding motives.

“A wounded griffon won’t look good for publicity and we griffons have a reputation to keep.” I answered.

He paused for a bit, stroking his chin in thought.

“Fair enough, I’ll bite.” He finally said.

He asked Jordan to make a cloak for my size. I silently sighed in relief. I knew, that he knows, it was more to it than just reputation. Honestly, I don’t wish to let the other griffons know that I’m their princess. Such news could bring unwanted attention. However, there was one griffon I was able to trust with my identity.


His name was Handel or Hans for short. He owns “Oak Taverns” in the village, working as the keeper. He was really the only one who understood my plight. If there was any griffon I could talk to, it was him. I met him, when I ran away for the first time. I was going through a lot and I just wanted to get away from it all. When I came to the village, he found out who I was, but he didn’t turn me in. instead, he took care of me, and convinced me to return. He said if I did, he promised that if I ever wanted to get away. He’d be happy to offer his services, will be willing to listen to what I had to say, and give the best advice he could. He’d been my get away ever since, and a good friend.

“There you go…” Daniel said, holding up a makeshift cloak,” it should be large enough.”

He gave me the cloak and I wrapped it around me. It was a perfect fit, covering my wounded body. I thanked him and we continued on. The underpass was used by few, but it is close to abandoned now. Now and days griffons just fly over the mountains to get in and out of the forest. Within time, the guards had stopped patrolling around that area. It was deemed a waste of time, and was encouraged to not use the route. We should be able to travel freely without any problems. At least, that’s what I’d hoped. An unguarded passage way leaves opportunity to unwanted occupancy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel


We were approaching the entrance to the mountain underpass. It was a natural trail that paved between the mountains. The road, that leads in-between the mountains, is littered by debris of rocks that come from the mountain tops. Gilda told us that, once we get this far, we are only but a few hours to Leafwood village. She’s also told us that the route was technically abandoned, due to their ability of flight, which means we shouldn’t encounter any griffons along the way. Yet, why do I feel like we’re not alone here? The place did look abandoned and quiet; a little too quiet. Looking at the rock formations from above, I noticed a faint shadow that disappeared behind the rocks. I instantly moved my hand to the side, preventing Gilda and my friends to go any further.

“What, what is it?” Gilda asked, confused by my actions.

“We’re not alone.” I said, bringing my hand back towards me.


“Perceptive aren’t ya.” A voice irrupted behind one of the rocks, revealing a griffon.

I could tell he was male out right based on his tone of voice. His coat was of a dark brown, and his feathers were grey. He was wearing what looks like leather armor and helm. He was armed with dual swords crossed on his back. The last thing I noticed was that he wasn’t alone. As soon as he revealed himself, other griffons began to appear from their hiding spots. They all had similar leather armor, but they had a variety of weapons, from swords, axes, and spears. They even had griffons with crossbows, taking their positions on the high edges of the mountain.

“Hello travelers and may I say isn’t it a wonderful day we’re having.” He said, having a smug face.

I could already tell he was bad news, just by his expression alone.

“Be careful, these guys are bandits, and they are nothing but trouble.” Gilda said, warning us of their possible mischief.

“Now, now ma'am we are just honest griffons who thought that keeping these roads safe would bold well for our services…” the griffon said, with a sly tone,” unfortunately, such services do not come cheap, and so we must collect fees from all those who wish to use this path; griffons and non.”

After he mentioned the cost of their gracious services, all the other griffons begin to laugh maniacally. I could already tell where this is going. This was going to go out in two ways. Either we’re going to surrender all our belongings, which isn’t going to happen, or we’re going to have a brawl with a couple of bandits.

“So what’s the fee?” I asked in curiosity.

“As always, twenty bits per traveler.” He answered.

From what I remember, bits were golden coins used as currency in Equestria, and it seems to also apply to this nation as well.

“Sorry to say, but we’re kind of broke when it comes to bits.” I said, knowing this information won’t change our situation.

“Well that is quite unfortunate,” he said, walking up towards me,” but I’m sure we can reach to an agreement.”

Once he reached me, he pulled out one of his swords, confirming that we’re not getting out of this easily.

“Let's see what in the bag.” He demanded.

I stayed quiet, ignoring his request, and I could tell he was quite upset about it.

“I’m not going to say this again…” he said, reaching for one on my straps of my backpack,” give me the ba-“

Before he could finish, I grabbed his claw and twisted it, making him yell in pain. I then gripped on his chest armor and pulled him in, giving him a knee to the stomach. I then threw him back towards the rest of his goons, making him slide on the ground. Seeing that I wasn’t bombarded with arrows, I must have left the other griffons stunned by what I did.

“You’ll pay for that…” the griffon growled, pushing himself up,” what are you bird brains standing around for, GET THEM!”


Under-toll to under-brawl


We began to split up so we won’t be such open targets for their crossbows, and to force the griffons to split their numbers. After dodging a few arrows, I see two griffons charging towards me; one armed with a sword and the other a mace. The one with the sword tried to strike me multiple times, but I manage to sway away from his slashes. When he tried to slash me on the side, I grabbed his arm, and punched his neck, stunning him. I then kicked the one with the mace, who was trying to attack from behind. I then gripped both my hands on the griffon I stunned, and threw him at the one with the mace, knocking them both to the ground. I turn to see another griffon, trying to slash me from above. I then grabbed his arm, and then used his momentum to drive his arm to my shoulder, hearing the snap of his arm as it bends in a way it shouldn’t. After his shriek, I threw him to the ground and left him to contemplate his broken arm.


I begin to look around to see how everyone else is doing. Jordan was being attacked by two other griffons. They try to attack at the same time, but he quickly intercepted one of them. He grabbed the griffon’s sword arm and threw an upper cut, dazing him. Then he used his sword that’s still in his grip to block the other griffon's attack. He then proceeded to kick the griffon away, and elbowed the one he was holding in the stomach. He then swung his elbow towards the griffons head, knocking him out. The griffon he kicked tried to swing at him again. He dodged his attack by ducking to the ground. He then spun around sticking out his leg to trip the griffon to the ground. Once the griffon hit the ground, he quickly slammed his elbow, using the momentum of his spin to boost the impact. Seeing that he was doing well, I continued to look around.


I see Gilda holding out, using her sword. She blocked many of her attacker’s swings, showing her skills gained in her training. One of the griffons tried to swing at her once more, but she blocked it and guided it to the ground. She then slid her sword towards the griffon’s arm, cutting it. The attack forced the griffon to drop his sword, disarming him. She then punched him, knocking him down. She then went for her next opponent. She attacked first with great ferocity, giving her opponent a hard to defend himself. ‘If she fights this well when injured, I could only imagine when she’s at her prime.’ I then searched for the last one in our company.


Taphy isn’t exactly the best fighter out of all of us. He still has some skill as a fighter, or at least has the knack for dodging hits. A griffon furiously tries to slash at him, while he ducks, jukes, and leans away. Eventually, he backed himself into a tree, giving the griffon the opportunity to strike at him again. When he swung at him, Taphy ducked, making the griffon drive his sword into the trunk of the tree. He tried to pull it back, but it was stuck. Seeing this, Taphy threw a heavy uppercut, knocking the griffon out cold.

“Yeah, what, what!” Taphy yelled, celebrating his victory.

However, it was short lived, when a griffon came from behind him and started to strangle him with a spear. I decided to take the initiative to help him. I ran up to them and grabbed the griffon on the back, making him let go of his spear in surprise. I then threw him hard onto a tree, and watch him comically slid down the trunk. I turn to see three more griffons angrily charge at us.


Taphy and I decided to team up on this round. I quickly dodged the first griffon entirely, making him an open target so Taphy could lay an easy hit. I then dodged the slash of the second griffon, and punched him in the stomach, making my way for the third. I dodged two slashes, putting myself to his side. I then gave him a four hit combo, throwing the last hit to his head. The griffon that I punched in the stomach came at me again. As he swung at me, I grabbed his sword arm, and punched him in the face, dazing him.

“Taphy!” I yelled, as I threw the griffon towards him.

Taphy threw a left punch, and, with the momentum of my throw, the griffon went straight to the ground.

“Nice.” I said, congratulating on our team work.

“Daniel, behind you!” Taphy yelled.


I turn to see a griffon, who’s already on my heals. Before I could react, the griffon gripped his claws on my neck, chocking me. I grabbed his arm, struggling in his grip, as his talons dug into my neck. During my struggle, I spotted a griffon with a crossbow in the sky, pointing it right at me. In reaction, I kicked the griffon in the knee, making him loose his balance. After the griffon in the sky shot his arrow, I dragged the griffon in the way, to act as my shield. Once the griffon was hit, his grip on my neck wayed as he slowly fell to the ground. Seeing that his arrow didn’t meet the right mark, the other griffon desperately tried to reload his crossbow. Before he could take his second shot, I quickly took out my knife, and threw it at him. Unlike his arrow, my knife made its mark, hitting him in the chest. He flunked to the ground, making one less bandit to worry about.


“Retreat!” yelled the griffon that we first encountered.

Those who were left flew away. Some of them were carrying their wounded, leaving us with only their dead.

“Yeah you better run!” Gilda yelled out.

Once the griffons were out of sight, I went to the griffon, which had my knife stuck in his chest. After I acquired the knife, I turn to examine the area. There were only a few dead griffons, and many discarded weapons in the area. Jordan was going to body to body, to see if they were really dead. Taphy was holding one of the swords examining it, giving it a few swings. Gilda was going through one of the dead bodies, probably trying to find anything of value.


“Well this wasn’t exactly what I meant by laying low.” I said, knowing that we’re going to have to watch out for vengeful bandits.

“No, but you guys sure did show those punks who’s boss…” Gilda said, congratulating on our success, “I’ve never seen such fighting before. I have to say you guys got some moves.”

“Yeah well, even though our generation of military is focused on ranged weapons, melee combat is still essential, teaching their soldiers martial arts…” I told Gilda, indulging her with insight of our military,” those who excel would be moved up in more advance combat. The fighting style is known as Pencak Silat; a very deadly and effective way of fighting. However, this fighting style is rare and difficult; so they could only teach us the basics, but it’s enough to bring anyone down. Afterwards we were given a chance to learn more in melee. I decided to learn the art of Capoeira, a Brazilian fighting style. Jordan tried to continue learning Silat.”
While I was talking, we were all searching through the bodies trying to find anything of value.

“So how did Taphy learn how to fight?” Gilda asked, knowing that Taphy wasn’t in the military.

“When Jordan and I finished our military career, we thought it will be great to take some martial arts so we could bond and give him some encouragement.” I answered.

“Ah-huh right, all you guys wanted to do was beat the crap out of me.” Taphy exclaimed, giving an idea of how his training went.

“And that to.”


We finished checking everybody, and we were able to acquire, that was of value, were a couple of bits. Their weapons probably had some value, but there was no way to carry them without slowing us down. We decided it was best to leave them be. We placed the bits within a pouch, that we found, and allowed Gilda to hold on to it. Once everyone was ready, we headed into the underpass. I was eager to get to the village, and I’m sure everyone else felt the same.

Author's Note:

i have decided not to brand the dialogue with colors, because there just isn't enough to fit every character. it was mostly to differentiate between characters, oh well. at least my pages don't look like the colors of the rainbow now, lol.

the fighting styles i have chosen for my human characters, were to give you an image of how they fought. personally, I'm more interested in capoeira. though i have no skill in it, i always liked how it almost looks like your dancing while kicking @ss at the same time.

PreviousChapters Next