• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 1,561 Views, 36 Comments

Ponies of two Worlds - Golden Paw



When one of Luna's personal guard, a negasi by the name of Shadow Guard. Falls for the practical and down to earth Apple Jack. He soon finds that trying to stay awake during the day and coping with far too much sunshine is the least of hit troub

  • ...
7
 36
 1,561

Needed some sense knocked into him

"One has never heard of such a thing! Thy underling hast brought much shame to the Night Guard. He should count himself lucky that we do not banish him for such an affront!" The angry shout of a pony in great distress leaked into Shadow’s world of darkness.

The pain was universal, but strongest in his face. Shadow knew he should recognize the voice, but his thoughts moved so very slowly. The sense of confusion only added to the ache he felt throbbing through his skull.

Shadow opened his eyes slowly before quickly closing them again. Through the hazy blur Shadow deduced he was in the castle barracks once more. How had he gotten here? The only memory he could recall was pulling a chariot and....... Shadow shot upright in panic but the onrush of further pain along with the greying of his vision caused him to sway.

Clutching his spinning head Shadow heard another angry voice, much closer this time, "Oh Mr 'loud mouth' is awake then?" Another mare and this one more mocking than angry, "You’ve really dumped yourself in the outhouse this time Shadow Guard."

Braving the shooting pains behind his eyes again Shadow forced himself to look the speaker in the face. Swift Star was sitting on a chair across the room from him, both sets of legs crossed over. She had a wicked grin on her face and was obviously savouring Shadow’s discomfort.

"You’ve got Luna so ticked off she was ready to send your sorry flank to the opposite side of Equestria,” She paused, clearly revelling in her colleague’s look of horror before her smile dimmed, “Sgt managed to talk her out of it, but still you’re in a world of trouble." There was a little glint in Swift Star's eye, the pegasus was enjoying this far too much in Shadow’s opinion.

"I heard you Swift, but what does that actually mean?" Shadow Guard's head troubled him too much for riddles and vague answers.

"It means you're off active duty, that you're gonna move your sorry flank and apologize to Miss Applejack. Not only that, you’ll then work off the debt you owe for a crashed chariot at her farm Sweet Apple Acres," Night Blade loomed over Shadow Guard like an avenging angel.

"But sir she bucked me full in the face!" Shadow countered before a another stab of pain shot through him.

"And you insulted three of Princess Luna's personal guests and friends. The worst part is you failed in your duty as a Night Guard. By your actions ponies could have been hurt or even killed," Night Blade pressed on.

As Shadow Guard looked to his sergeant with pleading eyes he saw Luna looming over his shoulder. Her eyes were so full of disappointment that Shadow’s protests died in his throat and he hung his head in shame. If she had been angry Shadow may still have made a fight of it, but that crippling sadness robbed him of his fire, "Please forgive me your highness I was out of order.” Shadow made to kneel but a wave of nausea welled up before he could even get halfway.

Swallowing hard Shadow fought to keep his last meal down, the nasty taste only adding to his misery. Winning the struggle for now, Shadow took more care in abasing himself, “What must I do to atone for my failure your Highness?”

When no answer was forthcoming Shadow snuck a glance upwards and instantly regretted it. Luna was still there, the frown marring her gentle features. Finally she spoke again, this time in a far more quiet voice, "As good sir Night Blade has already informed thee, thou shalt start by apologizing to fair Applejack. Then thou shalt work for Miss Applejack on her farm until she is satisfied that thy misdeeds are paid for.”

The princess drew a deep breath before continuing in her subdued manner, “Finally all but thy basic pay will go towards replacing the chariot that thou caused such destruction to." Luna wasn't even trying to talk like a modern pony and her sadness laced each word like poison in Shadow’s heart.

"Was everypony alright though?" It only now occurred to Shadow that he had been mid air when he’d passed out.

"Night Blade was able to get himself free in time to save you, Rainbow Dash caught Applejack so no, nopony was hurt, same can’t be said for the ride, it’s totalled." This helpful comment came from Night Dew who was smiling almost as widely as Swift Star. "You were the only pony hurt, but I reckon you earned that beating," She added with smirk.

Shadow just nodded, Luna’s disappointment was harder to bear than any physical pain. That puzzled Shadow: He should be angry, Applejack had assaulted him for Luna’s sake and yet here he was being blamed for the whole event! Yet as he looked into the fallen face of Luna all he felt was guilt.

Well I guess I’m kind of responsible; should have known better, should have acted professionally. As if reading his mind Luna nodded once before she moved slowly out of the room.


All too soon Shadow Guard was making his way towards the anteroom where Applejack and the others guests were waiting. Night Blade was at his side and by the dour looks he gave him, Shadow could see he wasn’t there for moral support.

The corridor they walked along suddenly seemed very short and before Shadow had fully arranged his thoughts they were at the far door. Sparing him one last angry look Night Blade opened the doors with a flourish before standing to attention.

Revealed were the seated figures of Rarity, Rainbow Dash and of course Applejack. What surprised Shadow when he mustered the courage to raise his bruised face was how uncomfortable Applejack looked. The orange earth pony was twisting her hat in her hooves and seemed to be dreading this meeting more than Shadow was.

Not quite sure how to react to this Shadow marched up with as much confidence as he could manage before saluting, "I am here to formally apologize to you all for my rude beh......"

"Wow A.J you really did give him an awesome shiner," Shadow leaned back as Rainbow studied him with a slightly awed expression.

"Thanks Rainbow," Applejack muttered through gritted teeth and Shadow yet again got the impression she was finding this whole event even more trying than he was. Caught off balance by this sudden turn Shadow Guard stumbled with his planned speech, the words coming out as jumbled nonsense.

Before he could regain the initiative Rarity added her two bits," While that may be true Rainbow, it's most unbecoming to rub it in Applejack's face. A lady doesn't kick a pony when they are down."

Shadow simply blinked as Rainbow Dash burst out laughing and his unease only grew as Applejack’s face darkened, "I er....." Shadow Guard tried once again before Applejack herself cut him off this time.

Her face softened and she even seemed to be blushing, "Listen sugar cube, we both did n said some things we both regret I’m sure. I reckon that I was just as responsible as ya’ll about that whole crash and what not."

"Thank you miss Applejack, but I assure you that it was I who was out of order first," Shadow Guard tried once more.

"Awww fingle feathers, let’s just say we were both in the wrong n move on right?" Applejack snapped and Shadow was too nervous to gainsay her further.

She’s apologising to me? Does that mean we’re square? Shadow was just beginning to think he’d dodged a bullet when the anger returned to Applejack’s, quite beautiful face.

"But don't be thinking that yer off the hook or nothin! Y'all still gonna have ter work off your half of that chariot yer hear me?" Applejack scolded, but Shadow didn’t really listen. Truth be told he was actually feeling a little light headed. "Once yer done we can both go our ways n be even stevens, yer got that?" Applejack finished in a gabble.

Shadow tired to focus, to think, but the way Applejack’s muzzle persed as she spoke, the glint her eyes. Shadow shook his head and instantly regretted it as his world swayed slightly. He looked to Applejack to ask her something but his thoughts just vanished as he focused on those lovely green eyes. Their emerald depths sparkled in the torchlight.

"Yes of course, he wouldn't have had it any other way Miss Applejack," Night Blade assured and Shadow felt a not so gentle kick that snapped him back into the hear and now.

Shadow realised he’d just been standing there with his mouth slightly open and a faraway look in his eyes. "But that does bring up the matter of lodgings, I understand you have some worker's quarters at the farm Miss Applejack?

Applejack turned away and Shadow felt his heart dance by the way her mane moved. "Well um yes and no Mr. Blade, right now they bein fixed up yer see, but I'm sure we'll think of summit," Applejack replied.

Shadow felt a tiny smile forming on his lips as he saw Applejack watching him with those wonderful eyes, "Are yer sure he's alright ter travel, he's looking a little bit um...." Applejack began and the sound danced through Shadow’s head.

"Shadow Guard will be just fine, won't you corporal?" Night Blade assured and Shadow felt another kick connect with his leg.

"Er yes, of course sir!" Shadow Guard saluted.

"Okay, if yer say so Mr. Blade," Applejack answered as little snickering sounds could be heard.

As Shadow focused on the others he saw that Rarity had a knowing smile half hidden behind a raised hoof while Rainbow kept giving meaningful glances between Shadow and Applejack.


Shadow Guard rubbed his, thankful he’d been wearing his helmet when Applejack had struck him. The severely dented metal was back with the rest of his uniform and Shadow felt slightly vulnerable without them.

He was off active duty however, that meant he had to leave their reassuring weight and special enchantments behind. So here he was in the blazing sunshine, sweating as he waited for the train to Ponyville.

Shadow had been allowed to keep his shades however, their comforting protection shielding his eyes from the light streaming down. Shadow was doubly grateful he had them; not just for the light, but it also covered his ‘impressive’ shiner, courtesy of ‘Kick's McGee’ as Applejack informed him.

With a slight groan Shadow looked about at the busy ponies all around and felt utterly out of place. Here he was, out during the day among all these brightly coloured crowds. It also rankled him that Dew and Swift were there to see him off.

Standing in her comfortable armour Night Dew was grinning almost as widely as Swift, both of them standing at ease while Shadow sweated.

“Look at you, poor foal all hot and bothered. Next time maybe you’ll follow orders and avoid all this trouble,” Dew chided and Shadow cut back a retort.

"I would tell you to keep out of trouble, but what would be the point?" Swift Star added as the train finally pulled up.

"Ha ha, thanks for the vote of confidence," Shadow Guard replied in a sarcastic voice. "Don't get comfy, I’ll be back before you know it." Shadow tried to grin but his swollen muzzle spoiled the effect.

"Right y'all ready ter go?" Applejack asked. The mares of the hour, the Element Bearers were finally arriving and to Shadow’s mild interest they had a stranger with them, a cream coloured unicorn filly with orange mane and tail who caught Shadow looking at her and treated him to a tiny wave.

Shadow returned it without much gusto, he had enough to worry about. They boarded the train, all chatting happily and Shadow moved to follow before Dew’s hoof barred his way, “Don’t we even get a goodbye?”

Shadow rolled his eyes before saluting half heartedly and clambering aboard the waiting train. Once aboard he followed the others glumly and did his best to find the darkest corner to curl up in. He was tired, sore and dearly missing his bed. Not counting his time unconscious Shadow had been awake for nearly twenty four hours stright now.

Before the train started, Shadow managed to tuck himself into a corner seat that was as far from the seven fillies as he could manage. They were all chatting excitedly about things Shadow simply couldn’t muster the effort to care about right now.

At last he laid down and tried his best to get comfy, he suspected it was going to be a difficult journey for him and as if to prove a the point he was rewarded by the piercing shriek of the train’s whistle just outside his window.

With another groan Shadow pressed his hooves into his throbbing ears and tried to block out the other passenger’s incessant chatter. The carriage lurched as the engine got underway and Shadow busied himself for the first few minutes vainly attempting to close the window, which of course was stuck.

Giving up on it as a lost cause Shadow settled down with his bag of personal items over his head. He was finally starting to drift off when a prod in the ribs informed him that the ticket officer needed to see his pass. Grumbling, Shadow produced his before turning and facing the wall and tried yet again to get some sleep.


Applejack watched Shadow struggle and not for the first time wondered what had possessed her to go along with this plan to have the bat pony work for her?

"Applejack, sometimes yer hooves do too much of the talking n get yer into fixes like this," She said quietly to herself before looking out the window. She was just in time to see Canterlot disappearing around the bend in the track and fell to pondering why she’d lost it on that chariot back there.

Applejack had certainly heard worse trash talk in her time, the things that Shadow had said about her and her friends weren’t all that hurtful. It had just been as if a haze had come down and caused her to strike out. Was she just weary? She’d not been overdoing it again so why?

"Hey come on A.J, you've been staring out that window for hours now." Rainbow Dash said impatiently and Applejack felt both Rainbow’s hooves turning her head around.

"It's only been five minutes," Applejack assured Rainbow, slightly muffled as Rainbow’s hooves were squishing her cheeks.

"Well it feels like hours, but anyway what you gonna have your new workhorse doing for you? Clearing out the pigs? Mucking out the outhouse?" Rainbow pressed.

"Well I ain't decided that yet," Applejack said shaking her head clear of Rainbow's grip. "Let’s be dealing with one thing at a time huh?"

"I'm just amazed you suggested that the ruffian comes to work for you at all Applejack," Rarity commented.

"Well I was kinda at fault too y'all, I really shouldn't have given him a taste of ma two hardest workers," Applejack admitted with a little sigh, "Need ter make things right that's all n I reckon that's the fastest way ter get it done."

"I could always throw him an 'I'm sorry party'?" Pinkie Pie suggested helpfully.

"Thank y'all kindly girls, but I reckon I got myself in this here mess and I should be the one ter sort it out," A.J said with a little shake of her head, "Plus y'all got ya hooves busy with that there young'un," She nodded at Stage Cloak who was smiling happily as she gazed out the window.

“Oh we know why you’re having him come and work for you Applejack,” Rarity smiled, she had a look in her sapphire eyes that Applejack didn’t like one bit.

“What in the hay does that mean?” Applejack narrowed her eyes as she saw the other girls had cryptic smiles on their faces too.

“Well you must have seen how he looked at you dear?” Rarity smiled all the wider.

Applejack felt the penny drop, “That ain’t got nothin ter do with it, besides he weren’t thinkin straight on account of the mighty big bump ter his head.”

“Forget I said anything,” Rarity replied innocently, “I am sure you know your own business better than I.”


Shadow Guard was in that peaceful zone between sleep and wakefulness when he was suddenly jolted unceremoniously back to the train. Only just catching himself, Shadow arrested his fall from the seat and looked out the window to see they had finally arrived at Ponyville.

The clatter of hooves mingled with the pounding in his head as Shadow was bustled with the flow of passengers. Finally free of the train, he looked out on the small town of Ponyville and missed Canterlot already. The streets were mere dirt trails, the houses rustic and the whole ambiance was ‘quaintness’. Shadow disliked it instantly.

As if to add to his troubles and get one last blow in the train’s whistle blew again right by his head before, with a rattle, the engine eased its way out of the station and left Shadow to his fate. Releasing a pained groan he clasped his hooves over his ears and tried in vain to stop the ringing that had set in.

He looked imploringly to Applejack who was busy giving her friends a farewell hug. Gathered together they were the picture of harmony, unity and more importantly to Shadow completely oblivious to his discomfort.

As his world spun around him, Shadow stumbled about while shaking his head and before he knew what he was doing had stumbled into a wall. Well he assumed it was a wall, it was big and red and had blocked his passage.

Looking again Shadow saw it was infact a large stallion, no not just large, huge and he was looking at Shadow with a mixture of confusion and annoyance. By his side was a small yellow filly with rose red mane and a pink bow who was giving Shadow a lopsided stare.

A tap on Shadow’s shoulder nearly caused him to jump out his skin and he whirled around to see the concerned face of Applejack. She raised an eyebrow and mouthed something, but it was lost among the bells ringing inside Shadow’s head.

Applejack tried again and this time Shadow could just make out the words ‘Big Mac’ and ‘Applebloom’.

The filly just looked at him in awe, her mouth was moving but all Shadow could hear was a slight tinkling sound. Shadow shook his head to try and clear it, only to see Applebloom’s expression morph into one of fear and she took a few steps back. Shadow’s heart quailed as Applejack went pale and Big Mac developed very dangerous look in his green eyes.

Starting to panic Shadow Guard waved his own fore legs in an attempt to stop whatever miss-understanding he had caused. Being bucked by Applejack had flattened him and Bigmac looked like he was about to finish the job. Frantically Shadow pointed to his ears and said, "Sorry I can't hear you very well!" Lots of ponies standing around all looked his way as he gesticulated in desperation.

"Could you say again little filly I didn't understand you?" Shadow began again and realized he was shouting. The bat pony gave a little cough before trying again. "I am very sorry, that train whistle was a bit loud for me, I couldn't hear you little one," Bigmac was the first to respond, his deep tone making Shadow’s voice sound like a scared filly in comparison.

"Her name is Applebloom and she said ‘we had heard that you bat ponies eat the dead or drink their blood’ and then she asked if that was all made up Mr Shadow Guard,” Shadow found his focus being drawn to Bigmac's hooves. They were massive and easily capable of completely obscuring Applebloom who was now hiding behind them.

Shadow smiled, which made the filly pull back rather than reassuring her, "No Applebloom we don't eat the dead and don't drink blood. We eat oats and hay just like other ponies," He tried to look the filly in the eyes to help her see he was being honest, but his gaze kept slipping back to the hooves of Bigmac. He could squash my head like a pumpkin with hooves like that. Not for the last time Shadow was glad of his eye guards as they hid his nervous glances.

With that first hurdle crossed Shadow Guard found out that Big Mac and Applebloom were Applejack's siblings. That would explain why the big guy wouldn't be happy Shadow had upset his sisters. They informed Shadow that their home was a little ways out of town but they’d need to hoof it.

Applebloom, after getting over the initial shock of Shadow’s odd behaviour, began to ask questions. Shadow made to reply, but as they trotted briskly through the peaceful streets his stomach finally gave up the fight and he was forced to turn away and used a convenient corner. Having brought up his last meal Shadow gave them an apologetic smile, ponies who looked at him with a mixture of pity and revulsion, “Sorry, I really don’t like train rides.”

Eager to be away from the surrounding crowds who were all staring at him Shadow motioned for the Apples to lead on before following with his head bowed.

The stares continued to follow him but to Shadows surprise Applejack chimed in, “Think nothin of it, we don’t get many of your kind here so folks are bound ter be curious.”

Shadow nodded and to prove the point Applebloom finally piped up," So is it true that Princess Luna takes normal pegasi and turns them into bat ponies with some of her magic?"

"No little ‘vun’, she doesn't. I was born a negasi. it didn't take any special magic to make me," In his nervous state Shadow Guard was on edge and found himself slipping into his home accent.

Having lived in Canterlot for a few years Shadow was mostly up to date with how other ponies spoke, but every so often he would fall back to his native accent. This was especially common when talking with foals which Shadow guessed was down to him wanting to use words he’d heard when he was little.

“Negasi live in mountain caves or deep forests. My home is near Smoky Mountain,” Shadow pointed to the looming peak in the distance.

“Yer lived in a cave? Weren’t yer cold and dark?” Applebloom pressed.

“That’s right. My colony has about two hundred ponies,” Shadow explained only for Applebloom to ask another question almost instantly.

“Colony? Is that what yer call yer herd?” Shadow looked to Applejack for help but she just grinned, looking straight ahead.

“Um yes, we do have some words that are different from Equestrian. For example my home’s name is pronounced ‘Vor-ron ord-ar.’”

“Whoie-what now?” Applebloom looked thoroughly lost.

“It means ‘Raven’s Rest’ in Equestrian,” Shadow explained.

“That sound’s pretty,” Applejack said with encouragement and Shadow began to warm to the role of teacher.

His mood brightened further as they made their way along with Applebloom reeling off an almost unending relentless tide of questions. It was nice to have somepony take an interest in his origins, back in Canterlot Shadow was used to being seen not heard.

They passed by blossoming trees and small homesteads as Applebloom continued her enquiries. Big Mac had mellowed somewhat as they progressed and even asked a few short questions of his own. Shadow even got a chance to ask about their farm and what kind of jobs he’d be expected to do around the place.

By the time they’d made their way to the Apple family home Shadow was feeling much better about his situation. Sure this place was far quieter than Canterlot and a lot more rural. Shadow nevertheless felt a greater freshness in the air and the slower pace of life had a certain appeal to it.

Applejack lead him past a white picket fence, towards the very picture of an Equestrian farm. Beyond the buildings Shadow could see acres of apple orchards surrounding house and nearby barn. Everywhere Shadow looked there was hoof carved wood and he could practically smell the sense of dynasty in the air.

Shadow could almost picture generations of Apples working this land from dawn till dusk. There were even a few chairs on the porch and a musical triangle hanging from the beam above its entrance. The whole effect was cheerful as well as rustic and Shadow conceded that there were far worse places to stay.

This gentle image was shattered as Shadow heard a trembling call from ahead, "Who's this a comin?" He saw it came from an ancient looking green mare in a rocking chair on the porch half hidden in the lengthening shadows, "Why it's the youn'uns but who’s this with em?" She leaned forward and focused her orange eyes on Shadow Guard before they went wide with shock, "Well darn tootin a dark pegasus! Ain't seen one of you fellers in a long time and that's some time I'll tell yer."

She narrowed her eyes before addressing the others, "What you all doin gettin mixed up with the likes of one of them? Y'all fancy yer blood being sucked out while yer sleep or summit?"

"He ain't like that, do ya really think the royal princesses would use em as guards if they did stuff like that?!" Applejack called back.

"Well I personally like ma blood in ma veins where it belongs. Y'all tell him ter get right on n keep on walkin!" Shadow felt his ears flatten as the old pony gave her verdict.

"But ‘Granny’, he's gonna stay with us while he works for Applejack," Applebloom countered.

"Princess Luna's orders," Shadow Guard said with a sinking feeling. This was what he’d been afraid of, the typical response most ponies gave bat ponies.

"Well if y'all say so..... but he stays in the barn yer hear me n we're lockin the doors tonight!" Granny said with a finality.

Applejack winced, “Shame on you ‘Granny Smith’, is this what passes for Apple hospitality?” She turned to Shadow with a pained look in her eyes, “Sorry bout this Shadow, Granny can be a bit well….”

Shadow chuckled sadly, “Not to worry, when my grandmare got an idea into her head nothing would shift her. The barn will be fine.” He looked over building in question and nodded with approval, “I wouldn’t have expected you to put me up in your own house anyway.”

“If yer sure?” Applejack asked doubtfully.

He looked to Granny and saw the determination in her expression, “I’m sure.”

Shadow made his steady way across the grass with only a parting call from Granny, "That’s right yer fiend! Yer just keep on walking!”

The angry shouts of Applejack and Applebloom split the air and Shadow counted himself well out of it. “We'll all sleep better tonight with the likes of him in the barn rather than the house mark ma words!" Granny Smith yelled back as with a final sigh Shadow entered the barn and looked for a suitable beam to sleep under.

Author's Note:

That was good fun to write, and I hope you enjoy reading it half as much as I had doing it. Thanks for your support and for taking the time to read my stuff. Makes all the difference to have people's support. There are bound to be typos and grammar mistakes I have missed, but I will be sure to review it again and try and sort em out. Thanks for all who helped me write this and proof read for me (would have been much worse with out them I am sure.)

Supersnot.