• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 1,561 Views, 36 Comments

Ponies of two Worlds - Golden Paw



When one of Luna's personal guard, a negasi by the name of Shadow Guard. Falls for the practical and down to earth Apple Jack. He soon finds that trying to stay awake during the day and coping with far too much sunshine is the least of hit troub

  • ...
7
 36
 1,561

Absence only makes the heart grow fonder.

Dear Applejack,

I miss you terribly, I am counting the days until I can come and see you again. I want to thank you so much for the great night out we had. Let's plan to do something even better, next time I can get some leave.

On that subject, they have me on a special assignment right now. Can't say too much but it's pretty important from what Sgt. tells me. It does mean that all leave for the near fututre has been cancelled. I am so sorry but they haven't been able to tell us when it could be reinstated. I will ask Night Blade if he’ll change his mind as I want to be with you again soon. Please pass on my best wishes to Applebloom, Big Mac and Granny Smith too. I am so sorry to leave you hanging like this, but please know I am doing my best to come and see you again. You are the most special mare in the world.

All my love,

Shadow Guard.

"Aww confound it!" Applejack placed the paper down on the kitchen table with a despondent sigh. She slouched down and stared morosely at the offending letter as if it were a particularly nasty parasite on her orchard. Applejack had been so excited to get the latest note from Shadow, but when she read the missive, her heart had sank into her hooves. It had been a magical night and Applejack despite herself had been impressed, but all too soon Shadow had been compelled to return to Canterlot.

"It's not good news then huh?" Granny Smith said in an irritatingly triumphant tone," I knew that there stallion was trouble."

"Please don't start Granny, Shadow is right stuck at work until Celestia knows when, but he really wants to come back and see us all soon."

Granny Smith eyed her before making a '"M-hm " sound still looking doubtful.

"Aww but Shadow was so much fun last time!" Applebloom said sadly. "All those crazy things he did and the way he tricked those diamond dogs. Most of all he promised to tell us and the other girls how he got his cutie mark!" ‘Scootaloo’ and ‘Sweetie Bell’ had both wanted to hear how negasi went about getting their cutie marks, but these hopes were being dashed along with Applejack's.

Overcoming her initial frustration Applejack paused and thought, if Shadow Guard couldn't come to her maybe she could go to him? That would leave the farm one pony down for a bit, but she could afford to be away a few days surely? It was a conflict in her core and Applejack found her heart warring with itself again with no clear victor in sight.

"I could go there I guess, but......" Applejack finally said out loud and the other three just stared at her in amazement. To go galloping off to Canterlot just to see Shadow Guard for a few days was clearly a new concept for the family. Applejack seeing their looks, coughed before smiling sheepishly.

"I could take him some proper food y’all. Poor stallion probably can't get good homemade cookin in the big city," It was a not very subtle excuse to go see Shadow Guard and A.J knew it, but the more she thought about it the more her heart leaned towards the idea, "Well, after all he did to help us I reckon I owe him summit."

Granny Smith rolled her eyes. "Ah yer silly young'un, just come straight out with it girl. Yer miss him don't yer? No need ter be makin up reasons ter go see the ruffian. Just darn tootin get to it."

It was Applejack's turn to be astonished at Granny's words, closely followed by A.J’s two siblings. That was a big turnaround from Granny, once she’d set on an idea she seldom changed her mind. That almost sounded like Granny was approving of Applejack heading off to Canterlot to visit Shadow.

"Pardon, I don't reckon I heard yer right there Granny? Yer sayin I should go?" The disbelief in Applejack's voice was impossible to miss and she stared wide eyed at her grandmare.

"Right ya are missy. I told ya ter move yer caboose over ter Canterlot n see that pony, what got you so wrapped up," Granny confirmed with a solemn look.

The three siblings just sat there, mouths open as if Granny was suggesting they all move under the sea and open a firewood store. It was Applebloom that spoke first after her mind had restarted, "But Granny I thought ya didn't like Shadow, yer were shoutin at him the whole time he was here?"

Granny Smith sniffed at this, "That I did missy and yer know what? He didn't give back one cross word. That stallion took all I threw at him n kept his mouth shut. He just right on kept comin back fer more. Even though he had paid off the debt, he came back n took my Applejack on a right romantic night too. Now I reckon he has ter been right head over hooves fer Applejack ter do all that." Granny explained in a no nonsense tone,. "He showed he was good enough fer my grandfilly," Granny Smith finished before nodding to herself.

Applejack's mouth hung open and her mind was reeling. Granny Smith had just putting Shadow through the ringer all this time for some kind of test?! Applejack was about to snap sharply at her, but evidently Granny wasn’t finished.

"Now when I was bein a courted by yer grand daddy, ma mother put him through worse. Wanted to see if he was a good a stallion n all. Drove me summit crazy and I was so embarrassed by it all. Had him all dressed up like a scarecrow and clearin out wasp nests with only his hooves n a bucket o water," Granny had a fond smile and a distant look in her eyes. "I was so worried he would up n leave after all ma put him through, but he did'ner. Showed how much he loved me n all that."

"Yer never told us that before Granny!" Applebloom said with astonishment.

Granny’s eyes came back to the here and now, "I didn't? huh well I was sure I had." Granny Smith's eyes went wide. "Whooe! Yer tellin me that ya'll reckoned I was thinkin Shadow was really a blood sucking vampire?" She went silent for a moment and all three children stared at her in complete disbelief. Granny gave a small giggle which quickly grew into a massive laugh which caused Granny Smith to hug her sides and then hold her back in pain.

"Wahoo! That's gonna keep me warm on cold nights that'un," Granny managed when she caught her breath. "Ya all honestly thought I was....." Granny began chuckling again. She was struggling to breathe now as the merriment came out in a flood. "I guess that’ll teach me huh? I never found out ma's plan neither until the weddin day that is."

Applejack was starting to smile as well, seeing the funny side of it. Even if Granny had embarrassed them all while Shadow had stayed at the farm. The kitchen soon rang with laughter and once they had all taken some time to calm down, the four ponies talked over the plan in more detail for Applejack to go see Shadow.


Armed with an assortment of baked goods in her saddle bags Applejack was soon prepared to head over to Canterlot. She hugged each of her family in turn as the train drew up to the station.

"Now ya'll know where the tools are right? Plus it's time fer the east orchard to have that there fungal treatme......" Applejack began only to be cut off.

"We know Applejack, go! Have fun!" Applebloom was bouncing up and down with excitement.

"Don't be talking to strange ponies, cept the one yer lookin for yer hear," Granny Smith instructed.

Big Mac just gave his little sister a huge hug and let go with a simple, "Good luck A.J."

"Aww thanks ya'll," Applejack said with feeling.

With that final announcement Applejack broke away from the group and made her way to the carriage. Once she had deposited her bags on the seat next to her she quickly turned to wave goodbye and the train began to pick up speed. Soon enough Ponyville was falling behind and Applejack was left to her thoughts.

The ride to Canterlot would be a couple of hours so Applejack settled down and reviewed her plans for when she got there. She had wanted to surprise Shadow and so hadn't sent news of her coming on ahead. Applejack knew a number of places to stay that had been recommended by Twilight. She was happy to trust her friend who knew the big city better than she did. This whole trip was a bit impulsive A.J admitted to herself, but some things were worth doing on the spur of the moment.

In what felt like an age later, the train pulled into Canterlot and Applejack found herself right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of city life. Though she had been to the capital a few times she never did get used to the fast pace at which the city moved and all the fussy ponies jostling each other. Following Twilight's directions she made her meandering way from the city center and headed into the residential area of Canterlot.

All the pushing and shoving was starting to get on Applejack's nerves as she did her best to keep the food in her bags from getting squashed in the crush. There were a few choice words muttered under her breath before she finally arrived at the bed and breakfast that Twilight had recommended. By this point Applejack was having serious second thoughts about the whole idea of this trip.

Trotting up to the main desk and seeing no pony or bell to ring called out "Hello, anypony here?"

After a few moments a well dressed, chestnut coated stallion poked his head out of a doorway and regarded Applejack with his muzzle in the air, peering at her through a pair of half moon spectacles he quickly spoke, "Ayes? How can I help you?"

"Well I just got in ter Canterlot and was hopin to sort out a place ter stay. I heard your place was mighty nice so I came right over," Applejack said, fighting down her instant dislike of the of the pony before her.

"Indeed, I would say were one of the better establishments," He said with a touch of pride. "How long would you be staying with us then?"

"Just a couple of nights, ma friend Twilight said you gave good rates, right friendly and had comfy beds," Applejack responded looking at the décor.

"Twilight ya say? Y’all are from Ponyville?" The stallion's accent shifted and a happy look came over his face. Applejack took a closer look at the pony before her and the bit dropped.

"That can't be? No way, ‘Lofty Brow’”? Applejack asked in an amazed way. ‘Lofty’ gave a little cough before removing his spectacles and Applejack recognised him instantly, "I ain't seen y’all in years, this is where y’all been hidin? Lofty nodded with a slight blush.

Lofty rubbed the back of his neck, "It's me A.J, should a realized it were you too, gosh darn it yer have grown up summit since I last seen ya. What yer doing in Canterlot?"

"I could ask you the same question ‘Lofty’ and what’s with all the fancy speak huh?" Applejack asked giving her childhood friend (Well an 'acquaintance' really: nipping her ears with his teeth and trying to steal her hat didn't really count as a friend) a questioning glance. Lofty Brow cleared his throat before replying.

"Well folks round here kinda expect it. Good fer business n all that. Great ter be able to talk normal like again," His face fell and Applejack followed his gaze to the door.

"Ah miss ‘Fair Feather’ good to see you once again, your room is ready as you like it." Lofty Brow announced, the ‘Canterlotian’ back in full force. The latest arrival was a pale blue pegasus with a ridiculously extravagant mane style that set Applejack on edge right away. Still, she smiled politely but was met by another muzzle in the air and snort of derision.

After Fair Feather had gone Lofty gave Applejack a pained expression before pleading in a quiet voice, "Please A.J, I got a reputation ter keep up, I’ll give y’all the room half price, you bein a friend n all."

The worried look in Lofty’s eyes mellowed the sharp cussing Applejack was about to give him, "Awww alright Lofty. No need ter be cuttin the price and I won't say nothin unless they ask me right out where yer from. I ain’t gonna lie for yer Lofty. But I promise I won’t tell no pony unless they ask me right out."

Lofty visibly relaxed but Applejack wasn’t finished, "But I reckon yer should, ain't right yer pretendin ter be summit yer ain't n yer shouldn’t be so scared by what others think of yer Lofty."

She wasn't going to tell him how to run his business, but it was this kind of behaviour that truly got on Applejack's nerves, right next to being too 'froo froo' and fussy. Still, she had gotten a discount and Lofty was only too eager to help Applejack with luggage after that.

With a place to stay sorted and the baked good safely stored, Applejack braved the streets of the capital once again. What followed was a drawn out trial of navigating the various streets and byways of Canterlot. Finding the Castle was no trouble, finding the right entrance for the barracks proved much harder and so it was heading towards evening by the time Applejack finally found the right door.

Advancing with relief, Applejack smiled at the pair of stallions on duty, "Howdy y’all I was trying ter find a friend of mine who works at the barracks. How'd I get in touch with some pony from the Night Guard?".

"I see, who were you were looking for?" Asked the second guard standing to attention, both were clearly from the Day Guard but Applejack reasoned they would still know which direction to point her.

"His name is Shadow Guard, if y’all could pass on a message that Applejack is here to see him I’d be mighty grateful," Applejack explained and was rewarded with curious glance from the two ponies.


"Hey Shadow, you will never guess who's here!" Night Dew cantered into the barracks only to see the pony in question was missing. Frowning, she quickly looked about the bunks and even peeped briefly into the little colts’ room. No sign of Shadow Guard anywhere. Night Dew was about to try some of the other parts of the castle when she caught sight of Swift Star.

"Hey Swift you seen Shadow?" She asked with a grin.

Swift Star looked up from the report she was writing with a bored expression, "Sorry Dewy, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of him since he headed out with Night Blade and that Frost pony. Why what’s up?"

"Applejack is here to see him!" Night Dew responded in between excited giggles.

Swift's face lit up, "Wow, I guess that night out worked better than planned, she came all the way from Ponyville, just to see him?"

"M-hm" Night Dew nodded, "But you said he went out with Night Blade?” She had been looking forward to seeing Shadow’s face when he found out Applejack was here. Swift Star nodded sadly and returned to her report.

"So what we gonna tell Applejack then? Night Dew asked, "We can't just send her away saying we can't find him can we?"

Swift Star paused, a frown on her lips before she suddenly brightened, "I’ve a break in about five minutes, we could give Applejack a proper welcome to Canterlot." Night Dew caught the glint in Swift's eye and shook her head. This was going to be interesting......


"It's mighty nice of you two goin and spendin some time with me," Applejack took a draft of the hot chocolate that Swift had gotten her. Once it was clear Shadow was unavailable Applejack had allowed herself to be escorted to a local eatery until the shift change.

“Think nothing of it,” Dew replied with a genuine smile.

"Soooo, you spent the night with Shadow then?" Swift asked, the implications of her question practically dripping with suggestion. Okay Miss Applejack, lets see what you’re made of.

Applejack raised a slow eyebrow and looked a little put out, "Well it weren't like....." Was all she got out before Swift jumped in again.

"I honestly don't know what you see in him, he's such a loud mouth and I can think of some better looking stallions, what really happened between you both when he stayed over?” Swift’s eyebrows bounced and the grin she wore made Applejack shift uncomfortably, “Shadow said nothing did, but I don't trust him on that, what's your take? Does it cause trouble when he sleeps in? Does he snore?"

Applejack stared at Swift Star before breaking into a grin of her own, "Well Miss Star that's a mighty big bunch of questions, which one yer want me to answer first?" Came the calm and measured response.

Swift actually paused before an expression of grudging respect formed, “So does he snore?" Swift started with, it was an innocent enough question on the surface.

Quick as a whip Applejack replied. "I would reckon y’all know better than I, sharing a barracks with him n all. Shadow stayed in the barn while he was at my place." Well deflected A.J one point to you, Swift Star thought, time for another route of attack.

"Shadow had some very impressive hoof prints on his face when he got back. You must be really strong miss Applejack. I don't think he could see straight for a few days even after he got back, Flattery works well on most ponies, Swift told herself, Let’s see how you like them apples.

Applejack flattened her ears, much to Swift’s surprise, "Well I do regret givin him a whack like that, I was right out of order." Okay, not the response I was expecting, but I can work with that.

"Ah so you took pity on him then, wanted to make up for your mistake?" Swift said finally feeling she was making some headway. "Then one thing leads to another huh?" Swift nudged Applejack with a knowing elbow motion. They all crack in the end.

Applejack smiled at this, "Wouldn't ya know it, but I did feel kinda sorry for the guy. He looked so out of it after I gave him a good buckin, but I reckon he had it commin with a mouth like that. I guess would do it again if I was a similar situation, I may not be proud of it, but we Apples fess up when we’ve done summit wrong.”

Swift’s mind rebelled. It had never entered her head that there hadn’t been something more than just ‘a peck on the cheek’ that had led Applejack to come all this way to see Shadow again. Either Applejack was one of the best liars Swift had ever met or……

"Granny would have skinned him alive if he’d tried to get in the house so it probably worked out for the best n that Miss Swift is the honest truth," Applejack said with finality.

Swift found herself believing Applejack and even began to feel a little jealous. From what Swift had been able to gather from Dew the date had been awkwardly romantic, with Shadow presenting several unexpected gestures of affection. No stallion had ever done something like that for Swift, it was so story book and well sweet. Swift’s romances had been known for the quantity rather than their quality and all of them rather short lived at that.

As Swift looked into Applejack happy eyes she was convinced that it was just as had Applejack said. Swift felt like Applejack had something she’d never had experienced and the nasty twist of envy began to uncoil in her heart. Distracted and wrong hooved Swift’s next line of questions began to unravel even before she spoke them, "Well um I think that's well..." Swift caught Dew staring at her, no doubt astonished at Swift’s lack of composure.

The ugly feeling suddenly dimmed before morphing into one of genuine interest as Applejack put a companionable hoof round Swift’s shoulders, “Don’t you fret none, Shadow told me all about yer and I reckon we’re just going ter get just along fine.”

She really means it to, Swift cautiously smiled in return and the conversation took on a more positive air. Soon the three of them were chatting together and continued long after the moon had risen. ‘Joe’ was happy to keep them in a good supply of refreshments the whole time. Business was business and the stallion grinned to see the normally unflappable Swift Star being caught out, then open up and then finally make what seemed to be a new friend in Applejack.

‘Doughnut Joe’ smiled to himself while he collected the used mugs and put out fresh ones. It wasn't long before the three mares, a pegasus, a negasi and an earth pony were chatting away as if they had known each other for years.

Author's Note:

This chapter I have to admit was the hardest. I hit a big bit of writers block as a tried to figure out how to link the different lines of the plot. But after coming up for some air and having a good long think the answers became clearer. I was glad to be able to come back to Applejack after following the Night Guard a lot in the previous chapters. It was good to get back to the main theme once again. Hope you enjoy it and the extra effort was worth it as I feel it was.