• Published 17th May 2013
  • 5,920 Views, 16 Comments

The Path of Absolution - Forgiveness - Morningstar1337



What would happen if Diamond Tiara didn't print that apology letter in "Ponyville Confidential," but changed it? Would the CMC see forgiveness, or would they forever live in another city as examples of the evils of gossip and the trage

  • ...
1
 16
 5,920

III - Ace in the Hole

The class had left for recess. Twilight and Spike stayed inside to write a review for their students.

“So,” Spike said. “Once again, Why did you decide to-”

“I told you already Spike,” Twilight and Spike were arguing about what to do about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, unaware that they had already resigned from the school paper. “I have to treat the all the students fairly.”

Meanwhile outside the foals were playing at the playground. Featherweight looked at the schoolhouse having a folder. He went forward to talk to Twilight.

Diamond Tiara however had noticed the folder inside his mouth and block his path. “You’re not doing what I think you’re doing, are you?”

Featherweight was intimidated. He dropped the photo in surprise.

Diamond Tiara took the photo and examined it closely.

The photo depicted her looking at the Cutie Mark Crusaders while 3 certain photos are on the desk. The Crusaders as depicted in the picture were blushing. “You know I know the reason why you can’t talk, right?” she said.

Featherweight was even more shocked.

“Let me be clear,” she said. “If you show anypony this photo, I’ll see to it that your secret's printed on the front page. You got that?” She glared at the foal.

Featherweight thought he had no choice. He gave Diamond Tiara the incriminating picture.

“That’s a smart move,” she said. “Now be a good photographer and never speak of this meeting.” She then left.

Featherweight was now trapped. He can’t warn anypony without the photo.

Diamond Tiara was fully content knowing that Featherweight can’t tell on anypony. She trotted to another area of the playground. “Sucker.”


The Cutie Mark Crusaders were at a table outside. They were discussion how to best express their apology to the town.

“So any ideas?” Apple Bloom said.

“We could try apologizing individually,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Nah,” Scootaloo said. “They wouldn’t let us finish.”

“We could try something like a concert,” Apple Bloom said.

“Where would we get the money?” Sweetie Belle said.

“Good point.” Apple Bloom said.

At that point an apple hit Scootaloo’s head. “Hey! Who threw this?” They saw other produce flying towards them and ducked. The Crusaders were dodging every airborne fruit until they hid behind a corner.

They then saw a group of ponies across the path. Some were holding picket signs that read “Celestia hates Gabby Gums” and “Gossipy Hens go to Tartarus.” Scootaloo was a little mad about that last sign. Other ponies were hurling fruit and booing the fillies.

At that point Twilight and Spike were near this part of the playground. She trotted towards the Crusaders and looked at the protesters. “What’s going on here?”

A protester said, “Gabby Gums stinks! She or rather they said hurtful things and you’re letting them get away with it!”

Twilight had almost forgotten about Gabby Gums, though Spike hadn't forgotten the fillies who helped wreck his relationship. She went forward to the mob, “That’s no reason to harass them.”

“It’s a perfectly valid reason,” The protester said. “They trash everypony they write about, they slander everything they touch and they-”

“That’s enough.” Twilight’s horn glowed. A giant pink fish-bowl shape formed above the schoolhouse and slowly lowered down, keeping the protesters out and the students and herself in.

The mob left with a snide remark, “You’ll be punished ‘Gabby Gums.’”

The three Crusaders were relieved, until they saw the look of anger on Twilight’s face.

“Meet me after school,” Twilight said. She went inside the classroom and recess had ended.


When school ended, Twilight had lifted the force-field so that the students can go home. The Crusaders had entered the classroom. There they saw Twilight reading another book. The day’s edition of the Foal Free Press sitting on the desk. Spike was cleaning up the classroom.

“You wanted to see us Twilight?” Apple Bloom said.

Twilight said, “Yes I did. I want to talk with you about today’s events.“ The foals sat down at their seats. “You know that I’m not supposed to erect barriers around schools right? I mean it isn’t mentioned in any of the books and...”

“We know,” Sweetie Belle said.

“We’re sorry,” Scootaloo said.

Twilight continues her rant, “...and another thi- What?”

“We’re sorry,” Apple Bloom said. “Not just about the force field, but the paper, the rumors the Gabby Gums. We’ve shouldn't have started those rumors in the first place.”

“We tried to stop but everypony just wanted more Gabby Gums, and we got swept up in the hype and Diamond Tiara had blackmailed us and we’re sorry,” Scootaloo said.

Twilight said, “Have you apologized to your sisters yet?”

“Well,” Sweetie Belle said. “I think I apologized to Rarity about her diary.”

“Applejack still won’t talk to me,” Apple Bloom said.

“Rainbow Dash practically placed a “Keep out” sign for me, and another storm cloud,” Scootaloo said.

“I see,” Twilight said.

“Don’t worry about the gossip,” Apple Bloom said. “From now on Gabby Gums has left the Foal Free Press.”

“Wait,” Twilight said. “What do you mean ‘Blackmail?’”

“Featherweight had took pictures of us in some embarrassing situations and Diamond Tiara had threatened to print then if we didn't have a juicy column.”

“Does Diamond Tiara still have the pictures?”

“I don’t know,” Scootaloo said. “She probably threw them away after printing that article.”

“I see,” Twilight said. “Well I’ll go have a talk with her soon. But for now I think you should apologize to those ponies you’ve hurt okay?”

“Okay Twi,” Apple Bloom said.

“You won’t regret this,” Scootaloo said.

“See you soon,” Sweetie Belle said. The three fillies then left.

Evidently Spike had just finished cleaning the desks. He walked up to Twilight. “Are you sure they can be trusted like that?”

“I’m sure they learned their lesson Spike,” Twilight said. “Can you find Featherweight?”

“Sure, but why?”

“I need to find something.”

Spike didn't bother asking who and left to find the school photographer.