• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 6,630 Views, 21 Comments

A Lovely Melody - ShadowBlaze (Behemoth)



Vinyl Scratch shares her feelings for Silent Beat, but Beat finds himself falling for somepony else.

  • ...
2
 21
 6,630

Sonata

Chapters every Tuesday and Thursday.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Sonata

"Oh, hey there. I thought you'd show up. Come inside," the pony pulled me inside and pressed the door closed behind me. I couldn't stop grinning at her gorgeous smile.

"Thanks, again for having me," I say sincerely as she laughs. I shift my gaze throughout her home. It was . . . marvelous to say the very least. A crystal chandelier hung over our heads, casting bright light across the room. A grand spiraling staircase led up into a loft that I presumed held her room. A grand piano rested in the corner and her cello rested against it, her bow lying across the top.

"No, really. It's my . . . pleasure," she giggles shooting me a flirtatious wink. I stood in a daze as she once again led me across the room. We crossed a warm furry rug and she seated me at the piano bench. She sat down lightly next to me and scooted in closer. "Do you know 'Heart and Soul'?" she asked politely. I could only nod as I marveled her every feature. Her beautiful violet eyes and delicate looking mane. "Great! If you'd play the lower part, I'll play the counterpart on my cello. Just, eh, play slowly. When played fast, a cello just doesn't sound as," she fumbled for the proper word. "Pulchritudinous." My eyebrows shot upwards at her choice.

She moved from the bench and grabbed her cello and bow in a single fluid movement. She placed the bow to the cello that now rested against her body. "And...start," she said. I obeyed and began playing better than I ever had. She smiled at me and placed the bow to the strings of the cello. She drew them back and-

The most awful sound I had ever heard emitted from them. A high pitch shrieking that made me immediately stop playing. I clamped my hooves over my ears and over all the racket, she stared at me. Her beautiful eyes now pierced through to my very being. As she stared me down, she uttered four words. Words that didn't make any sense.

"Get the buck up!"

I awoke with a start and the shoves instantly ceased. A dream. Of course. I don't even know the piano!

"What th-" I rolled from my bed and landed clumsily on hard wooden floor. Blankets and pillows tumbled from the bed and onto me in a large heap. I stamped a hoof and shook the pile from my body. Standing up, I looked into the eyes of a rather amused Vinyl Scratch. "What are you doing here, Scratch?" I asked glancing around my bedr-

This wasn't my bedroom. That dresser wasn't mine. The bed wasn't mine. My bedroom had carpet not wood. What in Equestria was-

"Maybe I should ask what you are doing here?" she tapped a hoof and my eyes shot wildly about the room. I shrugged helplessly.

"I . . . honestly can't say myself. What did I drink last night?"

"Apparently way too much, Beats!"

"Okay, don't get angry with me."

"And why shouldn't I?"

"Well it's not as if we-" I stopped mid-sentence. We couldn't have...?

"For all we know, that's exactly what happened!" Oh, sweet Celestia.

"I don't care what I drank, okay? There's no way in Equestria I would-" I gestured wildly to the bed and Scratch looked at me, bemused. "Do . . . that with you." Scratch scoffed.

"And, uh, what exactly is that supposed to mean?" I bit my lip. Scratch always was one to take things in the completely wrong direction.

"Well, what Scratch? I just don't think it's . . . proper to have that kind of relation with somepony who has been your best friend since," I stuttered. "Well, forever!"

"Oh, I ,eh, guess you're right," she sniffed and turned away from me. "I, uh, just thought you meant something else."

"What that nopony would? Of course not, Scratch. I'm sure you're gorgeous to other ponies."

"Other?"

"Not that I don't, Scratch it's-"

"Yeah, yeah. I get it, Beats. Don't stress yourself." I smiled and nodded.

"Okay. I'd better just, uh, leave. Try to make sense of . . . last night." She returned a smile.

"Yeah, I'll see you."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I spotted her across the street. Yes, the same pony from the night before. Funny how I always ended up running into her, isn't it? She carried her large cello case on her back with ease. She must have had plenty of practice.

I trot up to her and she gives me a knowing grin.

"What's that for?" I ask, cocking my head. She snickers and resumed walking.

"Oh, nothing," she smirks, adjusting her cello on her back before adding, "Drunkard." I winced.

"That bad?"

"Oh, yeah." I let my shoulders sag and sighed.

"It's normally very unlike me to get that . . ."

"Wasted?"

"Yeah, that." We trotted for awhile in silence before I decided to break it. "Need any help with that?" I move my eyes to her cello. She glances at me suspiciously.

"I'm . . . fine. What's up?" I decided to cut the crap.

"I woke up this morning with Vinyl and . . . I was wondering if maybe you overheard something or knew anything about it?" She looked at me as if I were a crazy pony.

"Vinyl . . . ?" I chuckled. That's right.

"Er, Scratch. DJ-PON3," her eyes widened in understanding.

"Ah. She's a very talented musician. Your a lucky stallion." I blushed and turned away.

"Isn't she?" I asked as the pony nodded absently.

"Um, no. We parted, you went back inside, drank like a mad pony, and all you two did was laugh and dance all night. I think maybe once you pecked her cheek." Again, I blushed hotly at even that. "And then you approached me and told me you were going to 'crash' at her house. Beats me why I would care," she smirked.

Small memories of last night flashed back to me. "Yeah, that sounds about right. It was crazy for me to even assume we had . . ." The pony giggled again and my heart swelled. What I did next was completely unlike me.

"Hey, I was wondering if maybe, sometime, you'd, er, like to-"

"Friday night works well with me if that's where you were going with that," she winked at me seductively and I was taken back to my dream. I felt blood rush to my face.

"That's, um, exactly where I was going with that," I took a deep breath to build up my confidence. I would not let her be the one asking me out. "I was thinking we could go for a . . . walk through Whitetail Woods. Just to . . . " Several ideas flew through my mind at once. "Discuss music."

"Discuss music?" she eyed me.

"Yup. I mean we both seem to enjoy it quite a bit. Maybe while we're there, we can actually get on a first name basis," I joked. She chuckled softly.

"Octavia."

"Gesundheit."

"What, no. My name is Octavia," she said, giggling. I bit my lip.

"Right, just . . . messing with you."

"Mhm. See you Friday evening then . . .?"

"Oh, right. Name's Silent Beat."

"Silent Beat, huh? Kinda liking that." She said thoughtfully.

"Huh. That's a first. Octavia's a . . . really pretty name as well." She gave me a heartwarming smile.

"Thanks, Beats."

"Beats?"

"Oh, sorry. Silent."

"No, no. Call me Beats. I'm, eh, used to it."

"Oh, alright then, Beats." She said with a happy smile. "I'll see you Friday."

"Right. See you, Octavia." She trotted away from me and disappeared between two buildings. I smiled, dazed, and began trotting home. Productive day... I thought to myself before stopping in my tracks.

Did Octavia and I just plan a date? I cocked my eyebrows. Huh. I resumed trotting, lost in thought and eagerness. I really did like her. And I assumed she liked me as well. If all went well, I could see us actually forming a relationship. Hopefully we would become more than friends and I could finally have a special somepony in my life. Nah, what am I thinking? Its way too soon to think like that.

For now, I would just enjoy the time we spend together. As friends. Being friends with a beautiful mare is actually not a bad situation to be in after all. I grinned to myself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That night I dreamt. I dreamt of nothing but Octavia. Octavia and I. Together.

___________________________________________________________________________

Photo credit to Sweatshirt and ~Monochromatic Bay. ^^