• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 2,682 Views, 113 Comments

Bolt - InsignificantGryffindor



The two pegasi knew there could only be one. One who could fly with the best. One who could fulfill their dreams. One who could destroy the other's hope. And when hope is crushed, anger arises.

  • ...
4
 113
 2,682

The Dream

Author's Note:

I swear to god, the show is ruining every good idea I have for this story.
Also, fred2266 did an audiobook sorta thing for my story, so check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUBR5rlsq4g&list=PL3TGi7DEOHuBrLlVTendVST5gxwyf4K0q&index=58

OH! Btw, I just got a 3ds and pokemon. So I might be preoccupied for a while. My one goal is to catch a shiny bidoof (which I think is not even in X?) Ah, whatever. Tell me what you guys got for Christmas! :D

The crisp wind shot through her feathers as she climbed in the air. Below her, the Wonderbolts did their routine. She saw Lightning Streak do his signature "Flashing Bolt" move, causing tendrils of lightning to shoot between the teammates. Rainbow Dash felt her heart flutter as she watched a tendril of lightning shoot in her direction, but gasped as the tendril split in two as it reached her. The two rods bathed her in bright white light, causing a burning heat to course through her body. Rainbow Dash reveled at the sensation, feeling as if she were being cooked, but she knew better. Lightning Streak's move did not burn, it only felt as if it did. No matter how much she practiced with her teammates, she could not shake the awe as they performed their stupendous tricks.

She looked down and saw Spitfire dropping of her formation, flying below her fellow teammates. Her tail flared out behind her, giving the appearance of fire streaming behind her. Soon she abruptly stopped and spun. Her speed grew, and soon fire, real fire, lit around the spinning golden mare. Spitfire continued spinning, the fire now succumbing her in a great wheel, but never harming her. As she spun, Rainbow Dash took note of the small distance between her captain and the fire that was growing in size. Spitfire continued spinning, and soon she spiraled into the middle of her fire ring, and Rainbow Dash watched as the ring of fire burst. Balls of fire of every size flew in the direction of the rest of the Wonderbolts. The whole team spun in place, including Rainbow Dash. As the fire collided with the ponies, they did not burn, but instead they exploded outwards, causing an array of light to warm the field of which they practiced on.

The largest of the fire blasts headed towards her, just as Lighting Streak's rod of lightning did. But Rainbow Dash knew this wasn't going to split. She continued spinning, going faster and faster until hoof met the blasting heat. The fire imploded, directing the flames outward. Rainbow Dash's rainbow colors reflected onto the warm light of the fires, causing the ember to have brilliant greens, blues, and violets with the natural reds and yellows. The fire dispersed mere seconds later, but she still felt the exhilaration.

Spitfire's commanding bark sounded below her. "Rainbow Dash, fall back into position! Soarin', you're up!"

Rainbow Dash closed her wings briefly, falling towards the bright green field below them. She saw Soarin' shoot up towards her in high speeds. She snapped open her wings, feeling the wind buffet her feathers. As they passed back to back, she felt their feathers brush. She tingled at the sensation and turned red, thinking of that night two days ago. She wondered if he felt the same way, and quickly pushed the thought away, surprised by herself.

She fell back into position, a ring that included Lightning Streak, Misty Fly, and Wave Chill, with Spitfire in the middle. Lightning Streak fell out of position and climbed the air towards Soarin'. Rainbow Dash watched as the stallion flew past Soarin', who had gathered two white clouds and put them adjacent to one another. Lightning Streak flew into the rough gray cloud system that had gathered above the team. All was silent, save the quiet battering of wings. Then, lightning erupted from the gray mush and streaked right between the clouds Soarin' had placed. Thunder roared. Rainbow Dash watched with bated breath as she saw a light blue blur shoot between the clouds and lightning. A shape began to form in the clouds. Soarin' was molding the shape so it would appear to be... wings.

A lightning bolt with wings.

Suddenly, a small bit of cloud unraveled itself from the compact shape Soarin' was forming. It sped forward and hit him square in the face. Rainbow Dash was met with a vision of herself, having the same very thing happen to her at the Best Young Flier's Competition. Her heart pounded as she watched Soarin' dive, narrowly missing the rod of light Lightning Streak had produced. She quickly dived after him, but watched in relief as he shook off the bit of cloud. His green eyes were glazed with tiredness and frustration.

"Are you okay?" she asked with concern.

He glanced up at her, meeting her concerned gaze, and his expression softened. "Yeah."

She hit his shoulder lightly with her wing. "Well... be careful next time." She said firmly, her magenta eyes flashing with anger. He smiled in return, a smile that made her have confusing thoughts. She blinked, her insides squirming uncomfortably.

She jumped when she heard a shout behind her. "Soarin'!"

Spitfire raced towards them. Her amber gaze was alight with concern. "Are you okay?"

The stallion smiled, but it didn't meet his eyes. He started flying towards the rest of the team. "I'm fine. Let's try again. I'm pretty sure-"

Spitfire raised a hoof to block him. "I don't think so Soarin'. You're tired, I can see it. Go back to your quarters and rest. When you're done, I want you to practice those cloud formations again, you hear me?"

Soarin' sighed, defeat etched on his face. "Fine." Rainbow Dash watched as the stallion flew off towards Canterlot. She saw the image of lightning flashing towards Soarin' and shivered, concern once again filling her mind.

"Rainbow Dash." She snapped out of her thoughts and saw Spitfire giving her a knowing look. "Why don't you go and rest, too. You did a great job today. You deserve some down time."

She clenched her jaw, disliking the look Spitfire was giving her and nodded. Spitfire turned away and started shouting demands at the rest of her teammates, but she wasn't paying attention. She bumbled away towards Soarin', who was still flying off towards the city. She watched as the setting sun glowed warmly onto her friend, illuminating his body. Suddenly, she despised that look.

*

*

She ruffled her hot sheets. Sweat poured down her forehead as she dreamt.

The shadows of the trees stretched along the ground, spreading coldness to whatever secluded corner of the forest it touched.

Her brow furrowed and a low moan escaped her lips.

She was alone. Venturing deeper and deeper into the welcoming arms of the blackness.

"No..." she groaned, fidgeting in her bed. Her mind delved deeper into the dream, tough she yearned to be free of it.

A patch of moonlight escaped from the clutches of the shadows. A figure emerged into the moonlight, a small pale gray mare. Her ice blue eyes fell onto the shadows. "Are you there?" she called out to the blackness.

She stepped out of the darkness, her navy blue mane shimmering. Her cold gaze fell upon her young recruit. She was a yearling, so very young. Only her determinedness had persuaded her to let her join her cause. No doubt she would perish, but it was a sacrifice easily made. The young mare was so smart. It was a pity she joined with her.

Her youth's eyes widened and fell in a deep bow. "Milady Luna..."

She smiled at her loyalty.

The youth quickly stood up, her eyes pleading. "How faired the others?" she asked with a soft voice.

A frown soon etched the immortal's face, and anger coarsed through her ancient bones. "They have died." she put simply, turning away from her.

The young mare's eyes quickly watered. "H-how do you mean? They cant've!"

The princess turned her enraged gaze on the shivering form in front of her. Her voice echoed and shook with anger as she spoke, "Do you dare question my judgement? I watched as the arrows sunk into their exposed flesh! I watched as the spears impaled their armor! I watched as the swords slashed through their broken bones! What, pray tell, makes you think I do not know what death is, young Frost Night?"

The yells echoed through her mind, stirring her. She didn't want to dream any longer. Wake up.

Princess Luna ignored her sobs, turning away from the mare and staring darkly into the forest. She heard her stifle them quickly with small sniffs. "What... what of F-Fiery Haze, milady?"

Luna indulged her. "He was the first to die."

Her sobs grew stronger as she fell to the ground. The princess knew of their affair, but cared not. There were more important matters to attend to. She made no attempt to comfort her recruit, and instead pulled her up by her wings. The mare cried out in pain. "Gather yourself, silly girl. Thou mustn't grieve in such a way. We must leave at once. The rest of the members will be waiting for us back at our fort. We must gather and attack. Our final attack. We shall be victorious, or we shall die trying."

The mare nodded silently, and together they passed through the thick undergrowth of the forest. Light had been admonished from the forest, as the trees had loomed over the trailing figures, their thick tendrils of leaf and branch coiling over the moonlight. They traveled for an hour, the princess ignoring the occasional sobs that emitted from her young companion. They finally stopped, when the princess raised a navy hoof. A large willow towered above them, it's branches swaying, though there was no wind. With an ethereal glow from her horn, she touched a small knob. Soon the tree unraveled.

A wooden staircase going downward suddenly appeared, the steps melting into the shadows. She stepped down the staircase, and heard loud clacking; she knew that her companion had joined her. As she passed, torches began to light, illuminating the stairway. Finally, at the bottom, the large door made of willow opened quickly. Voices flooded the stairway as pony upon pony stepped out, questions spilling from their mouths.

As the voices filled her head, she again tried to pull herself from this dream. It was in vain. Wake up!

The mantra of questions did not ease the stress that had taken over the princess's mind. Her booming voice quieted the room as she said, "Enough!"

She pushed through the throng of ponies and climbed to her throne, which she sat, looking upon the frightened faces of her recruits. Unicorns, pegasi, and earth pony alike had gathered to support her failing cause. They would all likely perish, but she thought them useful, at least for now. How else was she to spread her word?

A stallion, green of color, stepped forth. "Milady, where art thou troops?"

The princess sighed, feeling tiredness sweep through her. "They are dead," She repeated for the second time that day.

Gasps of horror and sadness met her words. Wails of despair rose, and the princess saw Frost Night at the back of the crowd, tears falling once more. Tired of the weakness of her dwindling army, she rose. "Quiet, you petulant fools!"

The room fell silent once more. The ponies stared up at her, fear and sadness glazing their eyes, and she glared back. She knew she must alleviate these cowards' pains somehow. "We must battle again. Our final battle. Celestia will rue the day she forgot our existence. We will fight for the extinction of the sun, only for light to reborn as the moon! We will not be ignored any longer, my subjects! We will be feared! We will be loved! We will be VICTORIOUS!"

The sobs of her subjects stopped, only to be replaced by persistent chants, a saying forever burned in the images of ponies' minds ages to come...

"The shadows will prevail...!" The chant flurried into the air, as mares and stallions gathered spears and armor to fight for their passion. They shoved the crude black armor onto each other's shoulders. "The shadows will prevail...!"

The sound of armor faded into loud marching.

"The shadows will prevail...!"

The ponies gathered in long lines, their grim faces lined with pain and anger. "The shadows will prevail!"

The princess followed them out into the night, feeling their continuous chants rise her spirit. They might actually win this battle. The ponies marched on through the dark forest, ignoring the thistles that snagged. They traveled on through the night, their chants becoming hoarse, but still persistent. The now rising sun glowed warmly against the cold gray blocks of the ancient castle. They burst through the gates, which was suspiciously unguarded. As they traveled through the empty streets, Luna raised her right wing for the troops to stop. "Be on your guard!"

The troops raised their spears and swords as Luna ventured the hollow roads. She passed by quaint village houses and marketplaces, all empty of life. She felt fear grip her icy heart. It was a trap. She turned the corner to warn her troops, when the unexpected happened. There, standing tall and fair, was her sister.

She glared with ferocity at her sister, poised for attack. "Have thee wished death?"

Celestia did not look scared nor angry at these words. "Oh, dear sister." she said in a pained voice. "Please stop doing this. You'll only bring more death."

Princess Luna glared at her, her teal eyes brimming with emotion. "You bring death only because you ignore those who really matter! Those who have true power!"

The white alicorn stepped forward, her eyes pleading. "Luna, you must know. I never had thought of you as weak. You must know this." Her eyes filled with tears. "Luna, I love you."

Luna felt her anger die down. She thought of the time before this, when she and her sister had depended on each other.She thought of the games they used to play. She thought of how happy they were. Maybe it could go back to that. Maybe before all the bitter feelings, they could go back to being sisters. To being equals.

Then one thought struck her. A cold fist grasped her heart and didn't let go. They were never equals. The subjects always cherished her sun more than they would ever cherish her moon. She would force them to recognize true power. Only with fear may a kingdom thrive.

"No." She growled. "No, NO! I have had enough Celestia. They will not appreciate me unless they see the true light! And if they cannot, may the perish like your army!" She stood and looked her sister firmly in the eyes, her teal gaze on fire.

Celestia looked sadly at her. "I am sorry." she said, before lighting her horn. The sun, that had glowed warmly before, now rose in the sky. It was bright red, spilling onto the pavement of the castle. Luna's army watched in despair as soldiers in gleaming gold armor rushed in through the gates. Like the sun's red rays, death had come.

In her mind, the battle was a blur. She saw blood, so much blood, spill onto the gray ground. She watched as Luna fled from her sister into the forest, angry yells ripping from her throat. Everything was so blurred and confusing; she didn't want to be in this dream. Wake up!

She no longer had anyone. Luna was gone. She had no desire to follow her any longer. She was a traitor. A traitor to the very thing she preached.

Blood dripped from her sword as she pulled it out of the body of a golden-armored captain.

Who was she now? She didn't feel like anything. She looked across the battlefield. No one survived this battle. How did she? There were so many questions running through her head, and she had no time to gather them. She just wanted to leave this destroyed place.

With a shaking hoof, she pulled off the heavy black armor, now stained with a dark liquid. The armor fell to heavy ground, hollow. Luna had done nothing. She felt anger rise up in her and she looked in the dead eyes of her comrades. Luna fled while her troops died. When they all died for her. "That traitor!" the scream ripped through her throat.

She took off into the air, her eyes blinded by tears. She left the broken castle behind in the dank forest and collided with the nearest cloud. She buried her face in it's white fluff. She welcomed its coolness underneath the beating red sun. She had nothing to live for.

Then, a thought crossed her mind. Luna' cause had been righteous. She knew that from beginning, ever since she joined it as a new adult mare. Even as Luna betrayed them, she knew Luna was right. The ones with true power were ignored, often laughed at or dismissed. As she was. Even in Luna's army.

Well, she thought as she stood up on the cloud. I'm not weak anymore. She flew upwards, ignoring the harsh winds whipping her face. She was far from weak. She was the only one who had survived that battle, thus further proving that those who are more powerful are often dismissed. She felt the air around her grow cold and frigid as she skimmed the great gray mountain. With a burst of speed, she grazed the side of the mountain, the pointed rocks mere inches from her body. For the first time in a while, she felt alive.

Finally, she reached the top of the mountain. The air was thin, but she took deep breaths as she looked down at the valley down below. Frost Night felt powerful, and for once in her life, she didn't think of herself as the follower. She didn't follow Luna's every command. She didn't dote on Fiery Haze. She was the shadows. And those who opposed her will fall.

WAKE UP! With a large gasp, she was pulled out her nightmare. She pulled off her sheets, now covered in a thin coat of sweat. She held her head in her hooves, trying to erase the images of bloody corpses that now filled her mind. She shivered.

"Do not make the mistake I made, young one." a soft voice came from the corner of her dark room. She jumped, and watched with wide eyes as the Princess of the Night stepped from the shadows. Her eyes were glazed with pain from the memories, and from what the young mare knew about the princess, she knew that she didn't appear as aged as she seemed now. She watched in shock as her voice took on a pleading tone. "Do you not think enough blood has been spilled by now?"

Confusion riddled her mind as she gaped at the princess, until a bright blue flash blinded her. When she opened her eyes again, the princess was gone. She was alone.

This was all just a very vivid dream, she tried to convince herself. I just need normal, dreamless rest. She sighed and laid the pillows down neatly to rest her head. She gathered the sheets onto her body and relaxed her tense muscles. Just a dream... Lightning Dust convinced herself, before falling into a fitful slumber.