• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 2,677 Views, 113 Comments

Bolt - InsignificantGryffindor



The two pegasi knew there could only be one. One who could fly with the best. One who could fulfill their dreams. One who could destroy the other's hope. And when hope is crushed, anger arises.

  • ...
4
 113
 2,677

The Plan

"And may I ask why?"

Spitfire sat at her desk, brow furrowed in confusion. Her coat was slick with sweat, as they had just completed a practice session. Her bright yellow hooves crossed over the other, resting on the cluttered desk. Her eyes rested uneasily on her teammate before her, unsure how to process what she said.

Rainbow Dash, who sat across from the weary captain, took in a breath. Her thoughts wondered back to the meeting with Luna. Where she explained everything. The Shadowbolts. The chaos they could create. The dark revolution that could be. After several hours of contemplating, she knew this is what she had to do. Risk her life to save Equestria, or watch it be enveloped by shadows.

"... You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

Spitfire amber eyes sparked. "Then why should we do this? Doing a show in Ponyville would be incredibly dangerous now. I think we should lay low until this... shadow thing... dies down-"

"But we can't!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "If we lay low, they'll-"

Spitfire gave her a stern gaze.

She sighed again and sat down in the chair again, rubbing her temples. "I know it's dangerous." Her voice was low. "And I know I'm not very convincing. But you know my plan. And I know it will work. You just have to let me do this."

Spitfire tapped her hoof against the desk. She chewed on her lower lip, her eyes distant with contemplation. Then she directed her gaze towards Rainbow Dash. "I trust you, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow Dash sighed with relief. Thank Celestia.

"But-" Spitfire leaned forward in her chair, regarding the blue pegasus with a stern gaze. "If you mess up, if anypony gets hurt- you're off the team."

Rainbow Dash nodded solemnly, biting her lower lip. If I mess up, there won't be a team.

***

Rainbow Dash closed the door of the donut shop, the scent of the sweet rolls wafting out into the cold Canterlot air. She closed the lid of the pie, smelling its sweet scent, before lifting off. She flew off into the sky, now a rusted orange color from the setting sun, and flew until she landed on the familiar street. The Wonderbolts HQ remained a run down, but the mare smiled at it. She entered the HQ, seeing Clutch listening to the radio as he bounced a small ball against the wall. Past him, the long hallway stretched, paintings of former team members lining its sides. Rainbow Dash entered the hallway, a pie balancing on her back.

Then, a door at the far end of the hallway opened. Soarin' stepped out of the doorway at the end of the hall, his jaw clenched. Rainbow Dash smiled and waved at him. "Hey Soarin', I got some pie! Want some? This time I think we should actually eat it instead of-"

"I heard about the show in Ponyville." Rainbow Dash frowned, only now noticing the anger that etched his face.

"What's the deal?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Why are you so upset?"

Soarin' glared at her. "The last time we did an air show, a lot of ponies were hurt. If we do another show, there will be another attack, no doubt about it. Then I hear that you- you!- suggested it. Why?"

Rainbow Dash met his fierce glare with her own. "I know what I'm doing Soarin'."

"I don't think you do!" His voice elevated, jarring Rainbow Dash. He sighed, ruffling his messy dark mane. "I just want to know why."

Rainbow Dash frowned at him, Princess Luna's words echoing inside her head. Tell no one of our plan. "I... I can't tell you."

Soarin's eyes blazed, and his face turned slightly red. "Fine." He whipped around and left the hallway, slamming the door behind him. The hurt mare stared down at the pie that was now cold.

Author's Note:

This and the next couple of chapters are going to be short. I also will explain Luna's plan later in those chapters. I know exactly what I'm going to write, so the end is relatively near. Just a few more chapters then I'm done with this fic.