• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 3,071 Views, 62 Comments

Keyblades in Equestria - Zeryurijin

  • ...
5
 62
 3,071

The Ruins that Never Were

The group found themselves descending down what appeared to be some old, crumbling staircase. After taking a breather from passing through the barrier and getting a sugar rush from Pinkie Pie's cupcakes, they had re-formed. Now, letting Rarity, Twilight and Celestia take the lead with their magical glow to cast dim light on their surroundings, the group followed the only path that was available to them. Wide, crumbling stairs that dipped below the stone floor they stood upon. The deeper they went, the colder and thicker the shadows felt as it hugged around both pony and human alike,"I'm not sure how much longer we can keep putting out light. . .this darkness is drawing what little we have up, its making it hard to concentrate." Twilight mentioned from in front. In the back, Mych and Zavier were pouring over what they had on them, in hopes of making some torch or alternate method of lighting the way. Alas they turned up with nothing and unfortunately for the unicorns and Celestia, they had to rely on their light for just a little longer.

Just when it felt like night itself would swallow them up, an old door, outfitted with rusted iron emerged at the bottom of the steps. The design showed of some civilization past, but no pony could make out the details as to who built it. . .that is until Twilight had the oddest feeling she had seen these doors before,"Girls. . .come take a look at this. Doesn't these doors look familiar to anyone?" Rainbow Dash pressed her head against it and knocked on the wooden part, hearing a hallow echo respond,"Come to think of it, they do look like those doors in the ruins. The ruins that held the orbs which the Elements were stored in before we released them." Applejack wore a puzzled expression,"Wait a moment? Whats the ruins doin hidin behind some barrier, we never knew of? Thought them ruins were easy to pick out as they were sittin in a clear space." Twilight could only shrug as Mych and Zavier joined them up front,"Whatever these ruins are your speaking of, its also the place where our Keyblades are reacting the strongest. Something tells us the Door to your world is here."

A low, creaking groan fell upon the empty hallway, the broken columns casting sharp silouettes as they group emerged through the doors. The fractured windows were covered by some strange material, while the ruins themselves looked as though they had been transported to some basement of an even greater structure. Celestia frowned as she moved ahead of the group then paused, allowing the ponies and humans to join up,"Is that what your seeking?" she asked, shining her light towards the back. It cast over a set of silver doors opened wide, while a dark mist seethed and twisted within the opening,"Yup. . .that there is the Door of Equestria. . . "

Twilight joined Celestia and together all the ponies looked in wonder. Truly this object was new and never seen before, thus confirming the tales Mych and Zavier had been telling them since they first arrived. Which made it harder for Twilight to ignore that indeed, their world was but one of many. . . .which made it all the more difficult to accept in the long run,"Soooooooooo what now?" Pinkie Pie asked. Zavier looked over and then looked back,"Well.. .we just point and click! the Keyblade should shut the doors and seal it once again." She raised her Keyblade when Mych lowered her arm,"Something is off here. . . . doesn't feel right." Looking around, he stooped and picked up a small chunk of rock, took aim and then gave a good toss. The results were. . .unpleasant. The moment the stone passed the first steps that lead to the door, dark claws slashed down like bars to a cage as they covered the door, shattering the rock and a dark barrier formed around it.

"Huh. . . . someone doesn't want us to close the Door. That someone built their home over the ruins and prepped this place. Which means we have no choice but to go upstairs, confront them.. and end this once and for all." A dark laugh echoed along the walls, Fluttershy eeking and taking shelter beneath Applejack," My my. . .what is this? Rodents in the basement. . .guess I'll just have to get rid of the pests!!" Nightmare Moon's voice purred in dark delight,"While I applaud your efforts on making it this far, you've become a thorn in my master's side. . which I will remove. . permanently!"

Shadow twisted and stretched before Heartless started to emerge. What caught the ponies by surprise was their appearance: They looked like a pony's shadow. Mych and Zavier said nothing but held the Keyblades up as more and more rose from the stone floor. There were quite a few.. .along with Dusks and some Dancers. With a hiss from the Nobodies, they attacked, the two Keyblade wielders surging forward to stop the incoming rush. Rainbow Dash and Applejack once again joined the two, the ponies . . err pony and pegasi seemed to be the heaviest hitters of their group.

Twilight and Rarity, meanwhile searched for some means of escaping this trap of a basement. Eyes scanned and searched the walls and ceiling, occasionally hearing the occasional snarl of some Nobody that drew too close and got a double helping of hooves to the torso. With each pony Heartless taken down, two Nobodies or Heartless seemed to take its place. Zavier whipped her Keyblade around and called out,"Thundaga!" just as Dragoons emerged. The results were.. shocking, but it gave the four some breathing room as lightning struck from the top and came down upon the weaker ones.

Celestia scanned towards the corner and then called out,"There! A trap door. Which may lead us upwards!" The cyan pegasus turned and nodded,"I'm on it!" with a burst of speed, Rainbow Dash dodged and avoided the remaining Dragoons before clamping onto some ring that dangled. She grunted and tugged and pulled before shaking her head,"No use! Darn thing is stuck or jammed or just being stubborn!" Applejack growled under her breath as she toppled a few Dancers zipping in to catch Zavier's right side,"Of all the times ta not be openin!" She left the humans and galloped on over, while pulling rope they had brought along,"Rainbow Dash, git down here an tie the end round that ring! Resta ya girls when she's tied it good, pull with all yer might!"

Getting down to the rope would have proven difficult. . were it not for their Princess's intervening. She lunged and jabbed the few Dragoons circling, as they attempted to halt the pegasi's progress. She stood her ground, head lowered, horn brimming with magic and nodded,"Do what you must! I'll keep them off you!" Twilight would have spoken, but the unicorn knew the princess would not make time for argument. Instead all she could do was wait until Rainbow Dash had made a tough knot and then with the rest of the ponies, try to pull the door open. Grunts and shouts of "heave!" were heard over the sounds of the battle clashing behind them. Things were getting pretty tight in here and they wondered just how much longer Mych and Zavier could hold them off. Oh sure, they fought countless battles before this. But when facing with an endless sea of Heartless and Nobodies, the body will tire. . and that was all the chance their foes needed to overwhelm the group.

Zavier slapped Mych's arm,"Go help them, your the stronger of the two of us!" He grunted and looked to the left sweeping the Keyblade low to catch a few Dusk's trying to trip them,"Can't handle all this by yourself you know!" She glared at him,"Either you haul your ass over there and help pull that inferno trapdoor down, or wait until we are COMPLETELY swamped in Heartless. Your pick!" He exhaled noisily then nodded and left Zavier to join the ponies as they struggled,"Rackum, fracken, sonova. . ." he muttered under his breath before taking the rope in both hands,"Open damn you!" And yanked downward With a protesting complaint, the door finally gave way. . . and stone steps started to drop like well. . falling stones. Celestis,the mane six and Mych leaped back as a stair well started to build, showing them the way.

"Door is open so haul your cutie butts on up, less any pony wants to stay behind and attempt to offer tea to the Heartless!" Mych called out. Obviously Twilight or the others were not considering the second option as they all raced up the path,"Zavier, door is open, lets make like a sold out concert duo getting mobbed and get the fudge outta here!" Zavier didn't need to hear that twice. Drawing her Keyblade high, she brought it down and hissed,"Icega!". The stone floor cracked loudly as a layer of ice sheeted over the surface, sending the swarm tumbling on itself, while Dusks and Dancers crashed into one another. She turned and bolted up the stairs, smacking aside any flyers attempting to halt the escape.

Running, while hearing the screeches of the Nobodies fading, she didn't stop in time, bowling into Mych who, in turn bowled into every pony and Celestia, knocking the group past another set of doors and into a completely different room. For a minute or two, only soft groans came from the pile before Zavier meekly said,"Sorry. . ..don't tend to look when angry Heartless mob is chasing." A timid voice replied,"Umm.. that's ok.. .but.. um..if its not too much trouble. ..c. .can you ponies get off?.. .if. . you don't mind that is." Slowly pony untangled from pony as they dusted themselves off, Mych and Zavier the last to rise while Rainbow Dash and Twilight took a look around,"Big, empty corridor. . not much to go on. . and doors at the end. . ." Zavier was glancing around and found, to some chilling surprise, that the designs and displays reminded her too much of the Castle the Organization once resided in.

"Yeah.. I know it too, Zavier. I can see it on your face. Place looks too much like it, not to be a copy or imitation." They huddled together, in case more surprised awaited them. Emptiness echoed across the hall, the only sound were of hooves upon the rug beneath feet and muffled shoes. The closer they were reaching the doors, the more Rarity was noticing that murals were depicted on either side of the walls,"Your majesty. . . come take a look at these. . .do they.. look familiar?" the white unicorn asked the alicorn. Celestia drew closer and upon examination, the alicorn was .. surprised,"Its. . . Luna and I."

Pinkie Pie was hopping across from them,"Lookie at this one!" Together, the group drew closer. Twilight shivered as this mural depicted a white alicorn against a dark alicorn, with the moon in the background,"Luna's decent into Nightmare Moon.. and her banishment." The unicorn whispered. And so it followed. . .one mural after the next, was revealing the history of Equestria. From its founding, to Celestia and Luna's quarrel/banishment. Twilight's arrival, the return. . it went on.

As they drew near the end, these murals however were. . different. One depicted Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Applejack surrounding, what looked to be a fallen Celestia. The next showed a dark cloaked figure. . .stealing their Elements. . . and the next.. the mane six becoming Nobodies. . . Mych and Zavier were getting a sickening feel, that they were being lured into something more darker and sinister then first imagined. That Celestia along with Twilight and her friends were in danger. Before they could glance at the last mural, a dark portal appeared by the doors at the end of the hallway. Instantly Twlight and the others ducked behind Celestia, while Mych and Zavier took up the front, Keyblades in hand. A dark, strong aura was felt as a dark cloaked figure emerged, Nightmare Moon by its side. For a moment no one spoke. . .

"Ahh, welcome welcome to my humble abode." The figure spoke. It glanced from Mych and Zavier over to the six ponies and their ruler,"The great Sun goddess herself, Celestia. I am humbled that your presence has graced my halls with such magnificence. And your most gifted student, Twilight Sparkle I see has joined as well and her close friends. My my. . this is a wonderful indeed." Princess Celestia spoke up,"Stranger!.. .while I admire your. . hospitality, I am thoroughly upset with the harm and damage that you have caused to my lands and my beloved subjects! By order of Canterlot, I demand you cease your efforts and return from whence you came!" The echo of her voice died within the corners of the halls.

Soon a soft giggle started to bubble, its source hailing from the dark alicorn at the figure's side. Nightmare's giggle turned into a full out laugh which rang along the edges and corners rebounding and gathering at the center before it died slowly,"Listen to her master! Barking orders, commanding you. . you! To return from where you came from.. in your castle no less! Its so amusing really . . .amusing and. . .wasted." the last word was hissed in furious anger as she lowered her horn, dark energy forming. The figure raised a hand and she stopped then drew a few steps back,"Now, now Nightmare Moon. . . we're being rude to our guests."

It cleared its throat before speaking,"I'm afraid I must deny your request Celestia. My work is nearly finished and I can not simply just stop by your saying so. However. . .do allow me to provide some. . entertainment for you and your wonderful group. I do look forward to meeting you all again. . soon." It turned and started to leave through the same portal that remained opened. Rainbow Dash gawked and then unfurled her wings,"Why you little. . " she snorted before bolting down the path to try to tackle them both. The pegasus perhaps flew within 500 feet before she slammed into some invisible wall with a loud oof!

The figure turned as Nightmare Moon disappeared, then simply walked over to where the cyan pegasus was. . plastered against the barrier,"Mmmmmm.. temper, temper Rainbow Dash. . such a short fuse will surely only cause you.. misfortune." It snapped its fingers, and a dark rumbling started to take place. He waved a hand idly as Twilight plucked her friend back to the group, while the figure called out,"I hope this one brings back most. . wonderful memories for you all. . ." a small laugh was heard before it vanished into the void. The rumblings increased as the shaking grew more intense,"A. .another. . earthquake?" Applejack asked as they tried to balance themselves.

The doors were flung open by some unknown force as long serpentine creature, bathed in silver and white, wearing armor along the limbs and chest. Twisted barbs wrapped around the body and ended at the tail, making for a cruel looking club emerged. There were no eyes or nose on the face, only a Nobody insignia on the forehead. It opened its jaws and a terrible roar sent tremors along every person and pony's bones.

It was then that Twilight started to notice its traits: The head looked like a pony's. .only more like Celestia or Luna's features.The horns were off too as were the limbs, body and tail it was like this Nobody was a mash of body parts. A sinking feeling started in the pit of her stomach as the large Nobody started to descend upon the party, Mych and Zavier poised to strike,"P.. princess Celestia. . . .I think things just got a lot worse." The alicorn turned to give her student a puzzled expression.

"I. . .I think that Nobody. . . is Discord."