The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 38 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 38
Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

As the response to my proposed restart of the writing challenges was generally positive I've decided to go ahead with them.

The first challenge topic is Scary Stories.

This can of course be actual scary stories, or about a character trying to write a scary story, or what a character finds scary, or whatever you think of when you think of Scary Stories.

Any entry's should be finished for the week between the 27th October and 2nd November to fit in with Halloween. Any story which would be acceptable for Fimfiction can be submitted (i.e. 1000 word minimum, etc, etc) but should have some Lunaverse element. Stories will be considered non-canon as a default although you can submit them to the Quorum to be made canon if you think they fit.

Now a little something extra I was thinking of which people may agree of disagree with is to make the stories all into an anthology similar to tales of the crypt keeper. Instead of Publishing individual stories you send them to me and I make them chapters of a single story like 'Everyponies day' I then add linking material narrated by one or more Lunaverse characters, currently I'm thinking of one or two of Trixie, Lunae / Nightmare Moon, Corona or Pokey. Anyone love or hate this idea and have suggestions for the character to use?

26/10/2014 update

Due to a technical issue no folder has been created for these yet, instead for the moment I'll put the stories below as they're published: -

Zone by thatguyvex

When Cheerilee receives a strange package containing an seemingly old board game her curiosity leads her to inviting he friends over to check it out. It doesn't take the mares long to discover, however, that "Zone" is no normal board game, and they soon find themselves struggling to make it through the game's increasingly dangerous and otherworldly challenges.

Fears of the Tyrant Sun by La Vallett1

Everypony knows that the ruler of a powerful kingdom Equestria, Princess Luna, has a mad and supposedly evil sister, Corona the Tyrant Sun. But nopony knows that the powerful megalomaniac alicorn of the sun suffered night-terrors since her descent to madness. This story gives us a recent example of what Corona fears above all else.

Do you want to hang with me? by Zerozion564

Dinky's talent is making friends, but maybe she should be careful about who those friends are.

Carrotzilla by The Great Eater

Carrot Top has always loved her mane and tail. Their volume, their shine, their luxurious softness. And she maintains those beauties with her patented beauty products. Unfortunately when her conditioner gets an unknown defect. She ends up with a horrifying outcome that sends all of Ponyville into a panic.

Mobs, hysteria, and an attempt to kill Rarity from pure indignation.

Scary Story by Talon and Thorn

Bitter Harvest always though himself a sensible pony but when he encounters a pair of crazed ponies telling tall tales of the fall of Canterlot at the hooves or Corona he can't help but believe them.

But what might Corona do to those who choose to slander her good name in this way?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Jeeze, I'm stickying and unstickying so much right now I feel like Spider-man. Anyway, as per previous Writing Events, this is now stickied.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Instead of Publishing individual stories you send them to me and I make them chapters of a single story like 'Everyponies day' I then add linking material narrated by one or more Lunaverse characters,

Not really in favor of the anthology idea. Especially as a means to help attract and promote new authors for our group, I think individual publishing is important. Plus ostensibly the stories would all just be in the same group-subfolder any way. Really, if we'd had the option of sub-folders back when LNEpD was first published, I'd think that would likewise have been better organized as such.

I guess if you really wanted to write the TotC style framing device, you could still do so as a blog post, linking to each of the individual publications.

Anyway, I might try to put out a Halloween short this year. It probably won't be scary though (quite the opposite if anything), and so likely won't be an entry for this event.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I think I'll definitely be trying to write something for this. Horror is usually not my forte at all but I think it might be fun to try to write something that's out of my comfort zone in terms of theme. That and I need more practice writing short stories, so my goal here is to actually make it a complete story within the span of a single chapter. Not sure how well that will go, but we'll see.

I wanted to do something to be part of the Lunaverse so I've put together a rough outline for a story over the past week. I can't really write but I'd be thrilled if someone tinkered with it and used it!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/135tz8k6YdguqhupktOx9f2kOrK1a0Cis_XyDuIqjPp4/edit?usp=sharing

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Looks interesting at first glance, I'll look at it more later.

And saying you can't write well that's just what this type of challenge is for a no pressure way to get into writing (it worked for me, my first story about 18 months ago was the first of these challenges), maybe you could try writing one of the sub stories and see where you go from there?

Well it doesn't have to be horror, just about a scary story in some way. It could be comedy where what somepony thinks of as a scary story is actually very much not.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3606571 I was thinking of writing a one-shot involving Corona's nightmare for this event. Do you think her dreaming of Luna serving Tirek while they are conquering all of Equestria and the surrounding territories while she is helplessly watching sounds good enough?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Sounds scary.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

True, but I like the idea of trying something I haven't before, so I'm probably going to work this like a straight horror story, just to see how I handle the genre.

3632958 Well I'd certainly be willing to try. Is there any place in particular I should post it if I want to get some feedback from everyone?

3633963 if you want feedback on the unfinished product post what you have in the Writer's Workshop thread. Otherwise just submit it to fimfiction the usual way and get someone to add it to the group folder for the event once it's published.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

What he said 3634101 Once you have some stuff written (google docs is good but you can add a story to the site and not publish it and then give out the link so others can look at it) put the link on the writers workshop and random strangers will look at it and suggest changes,

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've looked at it better now and I really like it. To be honest you've made the draft so detailed it shouldn't be that hard to expand it into the full story. Some of the stories and why they're scare to the teller might be a little to deep, I had to think about them a bit before I got them.

The only thing I think I would disagree with would be Cheerilee's story, maybe something about her becoming boring or not inspiring others might fit better?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've been considering my own story for this, I've been fairly blank do far but how about this: -

Two con-stallions (possibly Flim and Flam) have been going around the edges of Equestria running into town and warning the locals that Corona has taken over and they should flee as quickly as possible telling wild tales of how it happened and what happens to ponies that stand against her. Once the locals have fled the con-stallions loot the place and leave before they get back.

Unfortunately in this case Corona herself happens to be nearby and isn't to happy about the con-stallions actions. So she decides to tell them a few 'scary stories' of her own about what she does to ponies who slander her good name.

What do people think?

I'm unsure how horrific to make the descriptions of the events, weather they would go with a gore tab or not.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3675450 It will be non-canon, so I think that you have as much freedom as possible.

3675450 I think this is a really interesting idea. It would be neat to see a menacing Corona unrestricted by canon's limitations on her moral high ground act accordingly.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

I don't have time to write it, what with my thesis and all, but I did have an idea a long time ago.

Carrot Top wakes up to a perfectly ordinary day, with her best friend Ditzy Doo stopping over to say hi. Ditzy is a clutz, as per the usual M!verse view of things, and proceeds to accidentally destroy everything Carrot Top tries to do--ruins her breakfast, her shower, her garden plot ("oops! Accidentally crashed through the ceiling and set it on fire,"), her trip to the spa, and inadvertently chases off some friends/relatives CT was looking forwards to seeing. Eventually, having had everything ruined by Ditzy, CT breaks down and begs to know why Ditzy is doing this. Ditzy feigns surprise and says that this is just what they do every day. CT realizes that this is true--every day, almost as long as she can remember, CT wakes up and Ditzy proceeds to make every waking moment agony for her.

CT asks what she did to deserve this, and it's revealed that, a very long time ago, Ditzy left Dinky in CT's care while she went to the doctor, but CT was inattentive and Dinky choked to death on some random small object. Ditzy became withdrawn after that and died of grief soon after, and then CT found herself trapped in the loop. She realizes that she's in Hell and is condemned to spend the rest of eternity trapped in the same torturous day in which any moment of happiness or pleasure, no matter how small, is destined to be destroyed by Ditzy.

Ditzy leaves, promising to return the next day to have 'lots more fun!' and CT breaks down sobbing in the ruins of her house, knowing it will all begin again as soon as she falls asleep.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well... That's dark.

3675450 I like it. The only thing that comes to mind is Flim and Flam were sent to prison last time I remember reading anything about them, but it sounds like the foundation for a great horror story. I say embrace what non-cannon Corona is capable of and go all out, gore tab and all.

3676155 I agree that is dark. But I love psychological thriller kind of stuff. I like the Silent Hill storylines (even if I don't like the games themselves) and thats great! I'm sorry to hear that's not being written. Color me disappointed.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Alright, so I'm working double time trying to get my story done before the month is out, but this is surprisingly tough for me to write. :twilightsheepish: I think part of it is I don't really know where to take a scary story, beyond its set up and escalation. Resolution is proving tricky. Still, I'm hopeful I can get it done, or at least mostly done, on time. Just thought I'd leave you an update so you know I'm still working on it. :pinkiecrazy:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Yeah, I've just started my own and it's not may standard fair either, I'm hopping it'll be quite short but I always say that and end up with 2-3 times my planned wordage.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Same here, but then I've always been weak at writing short stories. I do have the word count needed to just post what I have as a first part, if I can't finish by the deadline, at least.

Comment posted by I Thought I Was Toast deleted Oct 18th, 2014
Comment posted by I Thought I Was Toast deleted Oct 18th, 2014
I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

Saw this. realized I hadn't contributed _anything_ recently and was feeling properly inspired for once. Spent the last 4-5 hours writing a one shot for this. Not sure it's really good, and it only vaguely hint's at it's L!verse roots with a mention of Trixie and Ditzy and Twilight, but it centers around L!verse Dinky, and I mean L!verse Dinky because her ability to make friends is an important driving factor her... Anyways...

Here's the google link since I want to at least check it fits with the contest and L!verse enough... Not sure Dark is my forte... I'm guessing it's going to come off as overdone. Good horror or dark needs more subtlety... Also... I suck at non happy endings... This one is neutral at most...

Anyways sidetracked again...

Story: Do You Want to Hang with Me?

Chapter 1: The First and Only Chapter in Which I Leave You Hanging

Short Description: Dinky's special talent is making friends, but what happens when she makes friends with the wrong pony?

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_TTAQ9qBMMwgierF_Rny2QNo2JWysfnHx3KHyiT8Z80/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully the inspiration will stick and let me get some more of Half and Half done. I'm always either lacking the time or the inspiration...

EDIT: Gosh Darn double clicking mouse... ignore the other comments... my mouse double clicks so fast it submits 2-3 times sometimes...

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Oooh! Creepy!

Seems good, I've added some comments and below are a few larger scale points: -

I'm not sure about Ditzy letting Dinky go to the 'sleep over' maybe have it so she sneaks out in some way? I just can't see her letting Dinky go out to a sleep over with someone who doesn't really exist.

I think it might be better if only Dinky interacts with Knot rather than mentioning the other foals but not have them as anything but a few comments.

It's fairly clear from the outset what is going on, it does add a sort of creeping dread to the story but I don't know if you want it to all be more of a surprise?

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

I'm not sure about Ditzy letting Dinky go to the 'sleep over' maybe have it so she sneaks out in some way? I just can't see her letting Dinky go out to a sleep over with someone who doesn't really exist.

That's actually the main reason it takes about a month and a week for Loose to make his move. While I never explicitly say as much, that extra month is a cushion of sorts for the adults, Dinky, and anypony else to get used to him before he makes his move.

I think it might be better if only Dinky interacts with Knot rather than mentioning the other foals but not have them as anything but a few comments.

That's basically what I wanted, and why I barely mention the other foals, but Dinky does have other friends. It'd make sense that she'd at least try for having them meet Loose, and Loose is still a little colt at heart. He enjoyed having friends for once and playing with Dinky and friends. He just focussed on Dinky because of her talent making friends.

It's fairly clear from the outset what is going on, it does add a sort of creeping dread to the story but I don't know if you want it to all be more of a surprise?

That's why I'm not sure it's good as a dark/horror story. While I did somethings right, part of a good horror story is the subtler stuff. A gorey slasher fic isn't really horror... It's too blunt to be that. In the same vein, the "hints" I laced throughout the story are too apparent for me to really condsider them subtle, so it all comes down to that factor of creeping dread rather than any fear of the unknown and trying to frantically guess what _will_ happen.

Also, I suck at non-happy endings. As much as I tried, I couldn't not let Dinky survive. I needed there to be some small kernal of hope in the ending, so I ended with that final portion. Dinky lives, maybe with some mental scars, but she will hopefully heal (it's up to the reader) and Loose moves on (again I leave it up to the reader as to come up with whether this is good or bad for him). Me? I look at the brighter side and assume Dinky comes to forgive Loose eventually and Loose finds peace in whereever he ends up... which isn't really scary, but I hate non-happy endings, or at least endings that end in tragedy without hope. There needs to be something clearly gained from any story's tragedy for me...

EDIT: Also, when and how do you want these published on fimfiction? I could run it now or hold off on it until everyone's dones and we release them all at the same time... I'm open to anything really.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well the anthology idea doesn't seem popular so as per the original comment if we can all publish between the 27th and 31st and RDD will create a folder to put them all in.

So Send you the G-Doc of a fic. And you'll post it as one big Anthology? Edit or submit the fic, ourselves and it'll all go into a SubFolder?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

As the anthology hasn't proved popular each story will be submitted by its author instead.

We're hoping to put a subfolder together for it but RDD is having some problems since the last site update, I've asked the Devs to look into it so hopefully things will be sorted in a few days.

Awesome. I'm going to do the story mentioned Here. When Carrot Top accidentally turns her Mane Green, and would end up looking like a giant, monstrous Carrot. So far she's terrified the Flower Trio, and almost murdered Rarity via Indignation Against Fabulosity.

That and RDD always did say he wanted to see a "I Really Like Your Mane" fic. So it'll be double goodness.

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

Want to publish story so badly... but it's still the 26th technically and we said wait till the 27th... but it's Sunday now... but it's not the 27th... but it's a new week... but it's not the 27th...

Thus went my thought processes for the last five minutes.

Seriously though. Any rhyme or reason to how we publish them besides trying to do so within this week? I'm probably gonna publish mine at midnight with the 27th thing since I'm so impatient for feed back... Although that could be too late to get decent feedback... Darn it...

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Some people have already published and the dates I gave are more suggestions rather than binding in any way so if you want to publish now you are free to. Personally I'll probably put up my story on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tell you what, as we currently lack a folder what I'll do is put a link to any published stories I'm aware of in my original post at the top so that everybody is aware of them, it won't put out a note to all the group members like a folder would but I'll work for the moment.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

For now they should be put in the "to be determined" folder. I tried again to create a new folder and it still didn't work.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3740754 But it works for me in my own group.:rainbowhuh:

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Right, added my Nightmare Night story to the "to be determined" folder as a reminder to myself to add it to a "Scary Stories" folder as soon as FiMFiction lets me create one.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Still no reply from Knighty I'm afraid, although he must be a busy man.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 38