The Writers' Group 9,317 members · 56,728 stories
Comments ( 69 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 69
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Somepony got really really confused and released Scare Master on iTunes early. Like releasing episode 21 when they should have been doing 15 early. I'm figuring we're gonna start getting discussion on it, so I'm making the thread early for the episode. There are gonna be ponies that decide to wait for the official release, so lets try an' keep discussion of the episode here, alright? It's still spoilers until the real release date.

I haven't actually watched it yet, and I'm not sure if I'm going to wait for it or not...

--Sweetie Belle

4726485 I still don't know how this happened...

Hmm... judging by the name of the episode, it sounds like Fluttershy might be going a bit... batty again.

4726485 You're gonna wait for 6 weeks?! Dude, go watch it, NOW!:pinkiecrazy:

4726485 You betcha.

I've been having a rough time, and Halloween is my birthday, so this is a much-appreciated early birthday present as far as I'm concerned. However, I am not going to leak it at ALL without heavy spoiler tags in my blog, and only in dedicated threads in groups, and I hope everyone else will do the same.

Luminary
Group Contributor

I hear someone wears a Twilight Sparkle costume. I still have three horrifying hours of torment until I can find out for myself! But if so, I adore that idea. Twilight's fame grows! I'm sure it'll continue to be adorably awkward.

This one also basically puts a huge 'confirmed' tag in Pegasus wings meaning very little for their flight. They can completely cover them and still get air just fine. They don't even need feathers!

Mmmhmm.

Flutterbat does return in this one.
If perhaps not in the way that's expected.

This isn't the first time iTunes has messed up.

There was talk at SDCC that there was going to be an episode about Fluttershy's brother. My guess is that this is that episode, based on the name similarity. I won't know for certain until someone who watches it says "yes" or until it airs on DK. :moustache:

4726498 Here's the video, in case you can't find the youtube link:

I'd just like to say that I love the lesson this episode gives.

Nope.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, what?

It's also Monday, dammit.

Well, maybe I'll watch it later today or something.

I'd suggest watching it, because you aren't going to be able to avoid the spoilers for a month. It's better to just see it now, before it's completely spoiled. That was my reasoning at least.

As for why it was released, someone on EQD pointed out that Scare Master was #15 in production order, and this is the 15th episode of the season to be released → Conclusion: iTunes doesn't pay attention.

4726485 I've just finished watching...DAMN! That was so funny and awesome! But it was also dark and creepy at some moments. I mean, Applejack thinks that a skeleton is Granny Smith until the skeleton's head falls off?! WTF?! And I laughed my a** off when rarity slapped Fluttershy in the face with her mermare costume! :rainbowlaugh: I totally loved that episode! It was like an early birthday present to me! I'm stupidly happy right now! It's not every week we get two pony episodes in one week, right?! :yay:

This isn't the first time iTunes has messed up.

When did they mess up before and what happened back then?

Comment posted by Razalon The Lizardman deleted Sep 21st, 2015
Luminary
Group Contributor

Don't remember the exact details, since I don't usually care about iTunes.

Hopefully someone'll come along with a better memory.

4726485 So, from this episode, we now know:

1. Pegasi don't need feathers to fly.
2. Fluttershy sucks at scary stuff (no surprise).
3. Angel is the king of scary stuff (still no surprise).
4. The Apple family also sucks at scary stuff (though not as much as Fluttershy).
5. Derpy is a Princess Twilight fanfilly.
6. Horse head masks exist in Equestria.
7. The CMC will be grounded after the episode.
8. iTunes is incompetent.

4726541 I hope so :applejackunsure: I don't really care at the moment, cuz I'm freaking happy right now! :yay:

The episode came outta left field. I thought that the cutouts of Bulma, Ranma and Usagi Tsukino were a nice touch.

4726498 So there's hope of Scootaloo FLYING!?

I don't get it… what did the CMC do? (Besides Apple Bloom the platypus, which was fantastic.)

There was an actual pony dressed as Usagi Tsukino earlier in the episode.

Even though I've just watched that episode, I'm still gonna watch it again when it's officially aired and released :twilightsmile:

Luminary
Group Contributor

TP'ed something, no?

The other two cutouts were also anime characters: Rei from Evangelion and Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Oops, I missed this one.

Well, we don't know what Scootaloo's problem is. It was unlikely to actually be wings. Look at Bulk Biceps.

It might be a magic issue.

4726562 I didn't notice. So far, I noticed a Twilight Sparkle, a mummy, somepony with a hockey mask and Flutterbat (sorta).

4726572 So Scoot's internal magic might be outta flux?

Luminary
Group Contributor

Detective Rarity may have to dust off her hardboiled fedora. :duck:

4726570 I didn't recognize Rei. I didn't watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. Methinks one of the writers was an anime fan.

Luminary
Group Contributor

No clue. But it's always been a possibility.

As it has become more and more clear over the seasons that pegasus flight has more to do with magic than anything, it has become more likely that Scootaloo has problems in the pega-mojo department. But it still coooould be wings. Or technique. Or some kind of mental block. Or her mother ran over a zebra and her bloodline was cuursed with being grounded.

4726586 Mental blocks are often used as a limiter in fiction and anime. If Scoots is using her wings wrong, wouldn't she go to someone who knows wings. Don't get me wrong, RD's a great flier, but sucks at teaching. Twilight's great at teaching, but she's still an inexperienced flier. Also, she doesn't use her wings as much due to being a former unicorn. That last one is improbable as the only zebra we know of in canon is Zecora.

If you don't want to play Where's Waldo: she's on the left, just after the CMC throw the toilet paper.

If Scootaloo can't fly because of a magical issue, could we go the other way and say that a powerful flyer like Rainbow Dash has more potent Pegasus magic, the way Twilight has (well, had) more potent Unicorn magic? Could this be channeled in other ways? Would more powerful flyers also be better at manipulating the weather? It would explain why RD is also in charge of the weather team.

4726595 The TP'ers aren't the CMC.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Just saying. There's lots of options available if one wants to ficcify. We just don't know yet.

Well, I pretty much always assumed Dash was a pretty scary magical prodigy. Just, y'know, the pegasus version. Even as a kid she basically set off a spell that covered a decent chunk of Equestria.

True, it was a Wonderbolt, a platypus, and a princess. The CMC are innocent, I tell you!

Dash the magical prodigy is now my headcanon. Along with Dash the math prodigy, but that's another story. :derpytongue2:

I would argue that Rainbow Dash shouldn't teach anyone because she's actually a horrible flyer. Watch the scene with the Dizzitron in Wonderbolts Academy. Dash comes in for a record, but she's just powering through. Lighting Dust has technique, which Dash shows absolutely none of.

4726624 RD... sucks at flying?

Yes. She's just really, really strong.

4726630 Or she has a large reserve of magic! Maybe not as much as Twilight's, but close to her level.

Exactly; magically strong, but absolutely horrible at flying well. It's the difference between flailing in the water and just so happening to propel yourself forward, and actually knowing how to swim.

oh someone does wear a princess twilight costume but i wont say when

4726644 Maybe that's the reason why RD's not officially in the Wonderbolts yet.

It would certainly be interesting to see her learn how to actually fly. It makes perfect sense why she never learned the technique; even back in flight school, she would have been like “Technique? I can already fly faster than the teacher. Who needs technique?”. Imagine how much she could improve if she just took the time.

4726655 RD was kicked out before she can learn the technique, I think.

Maybe she was kicked out because she didn't learn the technique. We never did get an explanation for why she left school early.

Is it just me or did Fluttershy's cottage actually have a different color to it's leaves for the first time?

4726586 In Lauren Faust's panel at EQLA, she said she is a "late bloomer," although she conceded that a story in which she couldn't fly might be beautiful if done right. The question actually was about her parents. And her answer was "there is nothing tragic about Scootaloo."

THERE IS NOTHING TRAGIC ABOUT SCOOTALOO

I cheered.

Of course, they may have decided to leave it ambiguous or even left it open for the "she really can't fly" option, but the important bit is that she is dealing with it NOW and leading a happy, full, athletic life NOW.

As for the episode, I'll post my thoughts later, but I enjoyed it.

Whoever leaked this, I commend you. This was a strong episode in my opinion. Not only was it hilarious (that horse mask), it had one of the most mature morals I have ever seen on a kids show. I think it's an exceptionally good message to the brony community: you don't have to like something just because it's good or because your friends like it. It reminds me of Doug Walker when he gave MLP a chance; he found no fault in it, but decided it wasn't his cup of tea. The only part of the episode I didn't like was the return of Flutterbat, however that is 100% my personal opinion. I admit that it added to the episode's quality and it wouldn't have been better any other way.

Great episode :yay:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 69