The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 40 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 40

This thread is an offshoot of my previous thread here, Why do we demonize ponies and victimize changelings in fanfictions? Here, I wish for us to address the issues brought up in that thread of the concept of Pony-Changeling racism/prejudice themed story (unfortunately, in which ponies have a tendency to be demonized in favor Changelings) and how the concept can be taken and done well.

So, say if someone else wanted to do this kind of story or the writers wanted to make an actual episode out of the concept, what could we recommend to improve this story from the many cliches and flaws that have unfortunately entailed some of the previous stories. Take for example:

To show both sides of the quarrel, instead of just siding with one and demonizing the other:

If you've seen the other thread, you'll know that my biggest recurring problem with these kind of stories is that one side is often taken and praised as the heroes and the other very much demonized. In the case of fanfiction, the latter tends to almost always be the ponies, for reasons discussed in the other thread. That's not to say their side of the issue is overlooked entirely, but a lot of the time, it's only really glanced over and the Changeling side is often justified to such an extent that the ponies cannot even fall back on the Canterlot Invasion as its made out to be a heroic, justified course of action by the Changelings.

What many fanfictions dealing with this issue fail to do is try to effectively show both sides of the conflict, at least not a large extent (I guess because we all already know of the invasion and the stories are often told through the Changeling perspectives). It doesn't always have to be 'One side is good and one side is wrong' all the time. With Canterlot Wedding, yeah, that's how it pretty much is, but the Changelings' motivations can be viewed as sympathetic enough that it doesn't HAVE to be black and white like that there could be a case in the future where the conflict could be resolved between the two species.

A film that managed to do this and do it well was How to Train Your Dragon, because it looked at both sides, Vikings and Dragons and why they're doing what they're doing and made each come across as sympathetic without demonizing the other. And when you get down to it, there are a lot of parallels with the Vikings and Dragons to the Ponies and Changelings, one side attacking to survive and the other just defending themselves.

Edit: That said, I would definitely recommend, if you're gonna try show Changelings in a positive, try avoiding showing them as simpering, helpless little woobies just so it can emotionally manipulate the readers to liking them. The Changelings have been shown to be intelligent, cunning and actually having spines. You don't have to make them poor, injured wittle bunny wabbits to get the reader to like them. Like with Chrysalis, you can humanize her, but that doesn't mean you need to make her a freudian excused angst-ridden victim.

The canon characters need to be kept in character and still likable (if that we are meant to like them in the story), even if they are shown to have a prejudice against the other side

With Changelings, the only one with a real character is Chrysalis, so that leaves the millions of other Changelings to be inserted with personalities, hence, I suppose, WHY it's from their perspective most of these stories are written. The problem is really how the ponies, the vast majority of them canon characters, are presented and how they are kept to their established personalities and still make likable when in these stories many of them are expected to hold a degree of prejudice against Changelings. I appreciate that keeping them in-character and likable, but at the same time installing them with prejudice is difficult. But the problems arise when the canon characters' personalities become skewed, altered or just dumbed down to create story-driven conflict, and they just do things they would normally never do. Let's take the biggest example which really, really gets to me:

Xenocide. (Edit: I had it mistaken for genocide, my apologies).

I've seen stories on the issue in which Celestia, freaking Celestia, unhesitantly instigates a genocide against the Changeling species and pretty much the whole of Equestria is okay with this, they don't even bat an eyelash. I am not going to pretend ponies are the perfect master race. They are flawed; they're jittery, cautious and are not entirely trusting of things of the unknown, but whilst they are written by humans and as a lot like humans, one key thing that separates them from humans is that they are as a rule a more peaceful, tolerant and loving society. Now, Luminary below claims it can be possible if the xenocide was handled maturely and with the gravity it deserved, and maybe I could be swayed towards it, it's too bad almost none of the fics I've seen that do this ever do treat it with the kind of weight or gravity it warrants, at least on the side of the ponies. From what I've seen and I've replied to Luminary:

1) It's almost always the only option the ponies consider in reaction. None of the other routes like you mentioned are ever considered, it's straight to Xenocide.
2) It's never treated, like Luminary said, even by Celestia, as a very serious decision, partly in like with 1). It's almost treated as just another royal edict or decree, the weight of seriousness of what they're doing almost never sinks in with the ponies, even amongst those who have a good moral compass like Twilight.
3) The fact that is almost never has ANY opposition. Sorry, but when it comes to genocide/xenocide, I don't care what the race/species, there is going to be a vocal opposition. You cannot honestly tell me that the ENTIRE pony population has absolutely NO minds or views of their own that opposes their monarchs' and will just blindly support whatever they do. They're ponies, yeah, not sheeple.

Moving on, does that mean ponies would never hold any grudge or a resentment towards Changelings? Of course not. They would well be within their rights to distrust Changelings considering their record, and if you told me they're going to try what they can to keep them out of Equestria's borders, yeah, I can buy that. But when you tell me that these creatures, led by Celestia, a extremely powerful, but kind and benevolent leader, would willingfully hunt down like animals and slaughter every single changeling they can get their hooves on with a sadistic smile on their faces and an evil cackle emanating from their throats, I'm calling BS. We know these canon characters and society and how they act and wouldn't act and I think many of us agree the ponies would never do something like this. It's not who they are, AGAIN unless its handled correctly.

So that's one example, what about with individual characters, like Twilight, Shining Armor, Pinkie Pie, etc? If these characters are meant to have a prejudice in the story, it can work, but you have to keep in mind their personalities, as well as making it clear their prejudice being one you can completely understand and almost sympathize with. And these characters are overall kind, caring, and forgiving people, flaws and all. Yes, they are amongst those who have the most reason to dislike changelings, but keeping who they are into account, that doesn't mean they're so close-minded that's all they could ever see them as.

I would definitely suggest avoiding a 'face-heel turn'. For me, it doesn't really show a lot of character growth where the prejudice and distrust is somewhat justified by the other side (Changelings)'s actions. It's not just because the changelings look different, they have proven themselves a constant danger under their current leadership. Also, a face heel turn doesn't always make the character who goes through it anymore likable when they have spent the beginning of the story spouting fiery hatred against Changelingkind and a willingness to kill them. And that's what I mean by keeping them likable: just because they suddenly see the light and go from "I hate Changelings" to "I love changelings" doesn't erase the fact of their previous bigotry and attitude not very long before and doesn't mean the reader can just forgive them for it, especially when it's taken to a very high degree and its never really addressed in-story. By then we may very well be too set against them.

I actually have an example of this from a story with Cadance and Shining Armor taking in a baby Changeling she names Rose, who is of course every cookie cutter diabetes-inducing innocent Changeling baby you see in these fanfictions. Of course, Shining Armor is not too keen on the kid or the idea of keeping her in secret, perfectly understandable, so what does he want to do? Throw the baby in a dungeon and then shipping her off to the "wastes" where she will most likely die, as well as openly acknowledging regardless of whether or not it's a threat. But then he gets better in a few chapters and actually grows to liking the kid. So... my problem? Most people would see a complete snarling willingness to harm or kill a child, especially one you admit may or may not be a threat, as a Moral Event Horizon, I know I do, and because of that, it doesn't matter if he decides to hug and shower it with affection later. By that point, I am already set against Shining Armor and simply cannot like him in this story, not just because of a quick change of mind, but because for me, he immediately crossed a moral line and we're still expected to like him. Made worse, because I don't think he ever gets called out for it.

You see what I mean? If you have a canon or oc character you want us to like but who has to have this prejudice, then you have to handle him or her carefully in terms of their actions if you still want us to like and support them. There's a line of likability and when you have characters who do have a prejudice it's VERY easy to cross that line. And for me, with that fic, Shining Armor unfortunately did.

If you showed these characters going through a sort of inner conflict and gradual transition to the point they could eventually see that hey, maybe not all Changelings are their enemies, I think that would definitely help make the characters more likable and relatable because its a more organic and believable process than going from mouth-foaming, snarling bigot to pro-changeling because of say a scene meeting one good changeling. For a lot of people, prejudice isn't something you can just let go, especially when it's so deep-rooted. It takes time with a gradual built up of trust.

Okay, so that got a bit rambling there, but these are just things I believe could be utilized to make the Pony-Changeling racism and prejudice concept in fanfiction and an actually episode work better and hopefully, not fall victim to the many cliches that blight it. What I ask now is what you guys think the concept needs to work better and less cliched, as well as keeping it true to the characters and setting of the MLP universe, if not things I've mentioned already.

I'm actually going to be touching on this subject in a future story, and I like some of the perspective you've brought to the table here.

Eh

I think it would benefit from actually showing that Changelings are actually pretty damn smart on their own without the Queen. Just because they all look and sound alike doesn't necessarily connotate hivemind. The arc of a changeling gaining independence just doesn't seem appealing to me.

I've read some books that take place during a war and have POVs from both sides. I think that's the best way to reduce bias in a story.

I believe what is needed is four sides:
1) The changeling: this point of view should be a good creature that is driven to parasitism to survive, but tries to live in pony society and avoid the gluttony encouraged by Chrysalis. While feeding off love is a survival instinct, the characters true goal is to be accepted.

2) The ponies: they need to be afraid. Not frightful, afraid. They might react in violence, alienation, or simple panic. The presence of a changeling would cause lasting paranoia and distrust among loved ones.

3)The good: Of course, in this there are a few with level heads, who are slower to accuse and may even look into character when they find the changeling. Although rare, they show that not all ponies are bad.

4)the fear: this is another changeling, or perhaps many, made to legitimize the ponies' fears. While not all changelings are bad, bad ones are out there. Basically, they are the reason ponies hate changelings, they fit the dark generalization of the species.

Basically, it's like Les Miserables. The changeling is like Jean Valjean, who strives to do good despite who he is. The ponies are Javert, who see the world in black and white. The good is Frauchelevant who helps the Jean Valjeen figure, and the neglected, even if their appearance is brief. They could also be a Marius figure who is an advocate for what is right. The fear is the Thenardier, the character who actually does fit the image of the Javert figure's prejudice, which makes said prejudice less farfetched.

With Changelings, the only one with a real character is Chrysalis, so that leaves the millions of other Changelings to be inserted with personalities, hence, I suppose, WHY it's from their perspective most of these stories are written. The problem is really how the ponies, the vast majority of them canon characters, are presented and how they are kept to their established personalities when in these stories many of them are expected to hold a degree of prejudice against Changelings. The problems arise when the canon characters' personalities become skewed, altered or just dumbed down to create story-driven conflict, and they just do things they would normally never do. Let's take the biggest example which really, really gets to me:
Genocide.

It's not genocide, it's xenocide! Sweet Jesus on a tricycle, why do people keep on using the wrong word?!

Ponies are ponies, changelings are ants.

Now stop with the changeling tragedy fics, just reading their descriptions hurt me.

953069 My apologies, I've just never come across that term before.

That is only if we are to assume that the changelings are a completely different species. The fanfic I am writing treats them as ponies, but just another tribe, much like unicorns, pegasi, etc. (Furthermore, I'm putting subtypes into them much like unicorn, pegasus, etc... My story has a group of changelings known as "The Order of Ismara" who are unicorn-like magic users.)

So really, it depends on context. I admit, I have not read a single fanfic involving changelings, so I am not too familiar with how the fandom portrays them and their lore. (I probably avoid them on a subconcious level so my own lore doesn't get "tainted")

Just thought I'd share that thought, though.

952921I'm currently writing a story where the hero is a changling.

Read old X-men comic books. This series was Stan Lee's original protest against racisim. Spider Man was for anti-bullying.

Silly people, doesn't anyone remember what Over in a Barrel taught you? This is what friendship lessons are for!

Genocide: noun
the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

I dunno, genocide seems to be used correctly here, even if xenocide would also fit. Xenocide in this case would, it seems to me, be a subclass of genocide.

954248 xenocide is the destruction of a species so unless changelings are a type of pony, it fits better.

It's also not an actual word outside of some sci-fi circles. Outside of a rather select genre of fiction there's simply no need for such a term, so the use of "genocide" is entirely appropriate.

954386 Actually it is. It's not yet reached widespread use, but the meaning is clear.

It does not appear in Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, TheFreeDictionary.com, or the Cambridge Online Dictionary. I think we can safely say it's not a word outside of a very specific circle.

954522 it's root words of "xeno" and "cide" are recognized words that have been in the speaking lexicon for over a thousand years but combining them to make new words with different meanings like so many others have in the past means it's no longer a word?

"Cardio" is a word. "Basilica" is a word. Therefore, by your logic, "Cardiobasilica" is a word.

Adding a random prefix onto a random root does not a word make.

The Battle of Canterlot provides 'the fear' for many stories.

954575 Right. You can't simply mix and match words and expect it to mean anything to everyone. However xenocide isn't on of those. It actually fits in with the rest. Patricide, matricide, fratricide, genocide, xenocide being the last being taken to it's most logical extreme where you annihilate an entire species.

Xenocide covers a very specific meaning that genocide doesn't. Say humanity annihilates mosquitos completely. Good riddance, right? By the logic of many here, that means it's genocide right? Nope. Mosquitos have no culture or religious or political beliefs, the entirety of the species is being wiped clean so it's not just one race of mosquito. That's xenocide.

The limit of what becomes a word is not meaning, it is use. Whether you like it or not, "xenocide" is not used enough to be considered a word. I could combine "fenestra" and "cide" to make "fenestracide" (killing a window), but that doesn't make it a word despite being every bit as valid as your logic is for "xenocide".

954614 The amount it used or not doesn't decide whether it's a word or not as there are plenty of esoteric words used in different fields that are obscure enough to not merit a spot in a dictionary. Also unlike your word, xenocide has been used in published works.

I could combine "fenestra" and "cide" to make "fenestracide" (killing a window), but that doesn't make it a word despite being every bit as valid as your logic is for "xenocide".

Actually you can't combine those two as a window is an inanimate object meaning it can't be killed. The two words aren't compatible. But you can throw someone through it which is defenestration.

I'm intrigued by your post, and I agree with you that showing both sides and thinking carefully about the consistency of the characterization are the right ways of reducing simplistic bias. On that front, I was wondering what you thought the best way to deal with Queen Chrysalis' character was. More accurately, to what degree should she be depicted as sympathetic and yet as evil in-story as she is canonically? I ask because, by your own admission, Chrysalis is the only changeling with any degree of characterization, and since she's a leader figure, she could be representative of the changelings as a whole.

Also, I vote for the word "xenocide". Neologisms get short shrift, I like the word "xeno", and this one is potentially useful in ponyverse, like the distinction between racism and speciesism.

954695 954614

*watches and grabs a popcorn*

Hey, do warn me if you guys want to get a room or something... coz I'm not too into that. :trollestia:

Luminary
Group Contributor

Don't get me wrong here. I'm with you in thinking that some Changeling stuff is pretty lazily done. And I don't think there's any particular need to demonize ponies or make the local changelings into a bunch of woobies.

But... I'd actually be okay with a fic advocating xenocide (and yes, I'm going to use that word when talking about wiping out a whole intelligent species).

Why? Because it's totally valid to posit that the changeling lifecycle requires the consumption of members of another sentient species. And who is going to allow that? If some species on Earth required munching on humanity alone, I wouldn't blink when the call came to wipe it out of existence. To do anything else would be utterly abhorrent to our way of thinking. People aren't a valid food source.

Do I think Celestia has the guts to order a xenocide? No, not really. She can't even bring herself to kill existential threats to all life.
Do I think she would try anything else, up to Element of Harmony blasts to alter the species? Yup.
But would I complain if someone came up with a story whereby she felt forced into it, for the good of all her little ponies, and no alternatives worked? Not at all. I could be sold on it. I think it would be an incredibly powerful (if dark) story, if it was handled with the gravity it deserved.

954771 Nah, we're done here. Heliostorm basically wanted to argue semantics about whether a certain word is a real one or not.

Wait hold on... they don't need to consume anyone physically. They most likely live on magic, and to get more magic, they feed off on emotion, mostly love. Granted, we can theorize that they actually remove lifeforce (and there may be some evidence on that on the comic books), but until we get to see more of them, there's no need going to that extreme.

What is a real word? :trollestia: Its just sounds that represent an idea. Okay, I'm done. xD xD

Luminary
Group Contributor

Meant it in a suck-your-soul-out kinda way. Being dead and being some kind of mindless zombie are more or less the same thing.

Shining didn't exactly seem to be in the best of conditions under Chrysalis' loving care.

If their love-leeching was totally benign, I don't think they'd have to be quite so covert, or start invading places. They could just act like Pinkie, get fat on the resulting flood of goodwill and die of love-diabetes.

Haven't seen the comics, so can't comment on that front.

Words used in esoteric fields appear in dictionaries, textbooks, and manuals dedicated to that field. That's how they are propagated. Xenocide doesn't. It has no way to propagate itself besides random kids on the internet like you who insist that it's the correct word to use despite not a single professional or authority anywhere who says the same. That's what makes it no more of a word than fenestracide.

Except we know Chrysalis wasn't being benign. She was overt in her actions, planning to conquer Equestria by taking over its central government. She could very well be just being greedy, and maybe normally, Changelings don't need to go for that extreme. Of course, like I said, we'd need more episodes on that.

Comics, Changelings drained love from the Cats that just emit love. They got weak, yeah, but the only real time they actually killed was when Chrysalis was showing off her evilness by... well, splattering one on the wall.

One of the changeling lieutenants says that "we still have loads of these guys left", implying that either they die or they don't go back to normal. Either way, love is apparently a finite resource.

Luminary
Group Contributor

There's no field of study that uses it.
It's a sci-fi thing.
Probably popularized by Orson Scott Card and one branch of his sequel novels to humble Ender's Game. They dealt with the morality of dealing with sapient species other than our own in a very mature, thought-provoking way.

How such a jerkwad writer could produce something so enlightened and thoughtful, I shall never know.

That Changelings don't kill people by feeding on them is every bit as valid a theory as them being lethal. I don't have anything particularly against it. However, I was talking about a situation where they do kill.

Clearly if they're more or less harmless, there's absolutely no reason to wipe them out.

Or the cats ran away? Its far too vague to do a solid guess, though I think you're right. The comic is pretty dark. Much more than the show.

I know. I guess its up to headcanons now.

Which is why I'm dedicating a my exploration of Changeling culture which will include very neutral elements. Ponies do not like Changelings, but not out to kill them. Changelings have their own way of thinking that is... quite strange for any sapient species to understand easily, and are more covert (and found a new tasty source: Humans! Its not as bad as it... okay, maybe it might be, who knows).

955128 That's pretty much what a word is.

955293 If the meaning gets across then why not use it? No, xenocide doesn't have the backing of an official dictionary, but it doesn't need to when it basically means killing a species.

Also as I said, your choice in words don't work as a window doesn't have a life to take so it can't be considered a legitimate combination.

By your reasoning google wasn't a word until it was put into the Oxford dictionary and Merriam Webster dictionary back in 06, despite it being used by many to describe using a search engine. Besides dictionaries aren't some ultimate authority on what's a word and what's not as they have to remove words on occasion when updating. Doesn't make those words any less legitimate, many have just fallen from use.

As it is, there is no central authority that sits around deciding what's a word and what's not. Again the only thing that's important is the meaning of a word.

random kids on the internet like you

Respect is a two way road and simply saying stuff like that doesn't make your words carry any more authority. In fact taking a condescending tone tends to have the opposite affect. I've been respectful to you and demand at least that much from you.

If you absolutely feel the need to continue this then simply PM me rather than hogging Magic Man's thread.

I'm genuinely confused as to where you get the idea that Equestrian society is full of love and tolerance for anything that's not a pony.

Spike is Twilight's pet. He's not allowed to go to school and has no friends of his own. He's stuck in her house all day cleaning and feeding her.
ALL the "critters" on Sweet Apples Acres. Applejack can physically shove around the sheep and force them into confined areas. They have no legal recourse and the idea of just "aaasking" is foreign.
A clearly sentient turtle's greatest obtainable status in life is to be somepony's pet. Hell, he's not even allowed to have his own name until Rainbowdash gives it to him.
Zecora is a pony, just not one from a known species, and the entire town of Ponyville shuns her simply because she's different.
A manticore shows up and 5/6 of the main character's first instinct involved some variation of "Punch it in the face".
The closest you're going to get is when Rarity threw the sea serpent a pf and that was more than likely because it was so much bigger and stronger than they could be. A hypothesis that's matched up with how the only other time they tried to talk first to a non-pony is the dragon in Dragonshy.
The ponies are extremely xenophobic and it makes since since they're a prey species.

To make inter-species relations better you have to first have a reason why the changelings don't turn the ponies into cattle. Then you're going to need a reason why a pony should trust this changeling, especially since they've already shown their aggressive nature.
Fluttershy would likely be the most candidate. Even if she only considers them to be "not-ponies" she'll at least help them.

Where did you get the idea that Spike is Twilight's pet? The most canon indicates is that Twilight was his guardian ever since she hatched him out of his egg, and given that Spike's the one who actually cleans and tidies up after her, it would probably make more sense to postulate that he looks after her.

Just because small creatures like Tank aren't seen in any role higher than "pet", doesn't mean that they're prevented from having them by the government or by the ponies. That's a rather hasty assumption to make.

They got over the deal with Zecora, in any case.

The reason they attacked the manticore had nothing to do with prejudice. They attacked it because it was a big, powerful, and scary-looking animal that was attacking them (note that it makes the first swipe, aimed at Rarity). Unless you're Fluttershy or Doctor Doolittle, there aren't a lot of options that come readily to mind, and this is the Everfree forest, home of virtually everything that wants to kill you.

Lastly, Rarity did not throw the sea serpent her tail simply because it was "bigger and stronger". The way you say that just looks desperate, to be honest. She gave him her tail because she was genuinely sympathetic with his plight, and chastised the others for being - in her eyes - boorishly insensitive.

If Twilight is Spike's guardian then he needs to call protective services. He's got no friends of his own and not allowed to attend school thereby emotionally isolating him. Doesn't even have a ball-in-a-cup, since his birthday episode is the first time in his life he's not gotten a present that wasn't a book from Twilight and from someone else other than her. That means that her entire family, which she's supposed to be really close to, have never given him anything. My family got my girlfriend's kid a birthday present, why didn't Spike get one? Because he's not a pony. My dog is better taken care of than he is.

As for the other animals, ever see one hold a job other than "livestock" or "pet"? Nope. If I've only ever seen them being forced into subservient roles and seen clear evidence of their sentience then that's a sure sign of slavery. Granted they're not taking the Captain's Daughter to any of them, but that doesn't make their force servitude any less detestable.

They got over Zecora only because of a filly to young to know to be afraid and the embodiment of friendship. If it wasn't for them Zecora would still be out in the Everfree where "wild animals" live.

954860 I think that's just it. None of the fics I've seen that show this ever do treat it with the kind of weight or gravity it warrants, at least on the side of the ponies. From what I've seen:

1) It's almost always the only option the ponies consider in reaction. None of the other routes like you mentioned are ever considered, it's straight to Xenocide.

2) It's never treated, like you said, even by Celestia, as a very serious decision, partly in like with 1). It's almost treated as just another royal edict or decree, the weight of seriousness of what they're doing almost never sinks in with the ponies, even amongst those who have a good moral compass like Twilight.

3) The fact that is almost never has ANY opposition. Sorry, but when it comes to genocide/xenocide, I don't care what the race/species, there is going to be a vocal opposition. You cannot honestly tell me that the ENTIRE pony population has absolutely NO minds or views of their own that opposes their monarchs' and will just blindly support whatever they do. They're ponies, yeah, not sheeple.

Wow, sorry, heh, got a little rantish, there, eh?

If Twilight is Spike's guardian then he needs to call protective services. He's got no friends of his own

"He has no friends" =/= "He's a pet", and "He has no friends" =/= "He's badly looked after". It does not follow. In any case, friendship isn't the only way you can relate to other people. Presumably, he knew Celestia, and he was in enough social circles to know Hoity Toity well enough to invite him to a fashion show. Later in the show, he also greets locals by name, e.g. Lickety Split and Junebug, implying that he at least gets on well with other ponies.

and not allowed to attend school

Evidence for this statement, please? We're shown virtually nothing between Spike's hatching and the events of the first two episodes. He may well have received formal education or home tuition, for all we know.

thereby emotionally isolating him. Doesn't even have a ball-in-a-cup, since his birthday episode is the first time in his life he's not gotten a present that wasn't a book from Twilight and from someone else other than her. That means that her entire family, which she's supposed to be really close to, have never given him anything.

I don't know what the situation was between Spike and the rest of Twilight's family beyond the fact that they didn't give him gifts each birthday, but going from there to "he's treated worse than a dog" is pretty much making stuff up on your part. For instance, sometimes families just don't always have as close a bond with adopted relatives as with nuclear ones? In any case, I doubt pets get given books for birthday presents in the first place - at least, not ones that don't squeak when you bite them.

That said, I agree that she seems to have supportive parents, but the one she's "supposed to be really close to" is Shining Armour, who at some point became Captain of the Royal Guard. Who knows why they didn't give Spike presents: hectic jobs, poor social skills, cultural background? In general, none of them really seem to have much impact on Twilight either, at least canonically (Shining Armour is a notorious example, since he might as well have not existed prior to his debut). We don't even know that much about her family beyond cameo appearances.

My family got my girlfriend's kid a birthday present, why didn't Spike get one? Because he's not a pony. My dog is better taken care of than he is.

It looks to me like you're making a gigantic assumption: that, because Spike does not receive birthday presents, there must be anti-dragon prejudice involved. Frankly, it looks unsupported. What's your basis for supposing that Spike is not given gifts on the grounds that he's not a pony? We don't even know if Twilight gets any gifts each birthday; maybe it's just not done in Canterlot culture? Or maybe I'm wrong to suggest she's his guardian; maybe someone else was his guardian, and Twilight adopted him before she moved to Ponyville. Or maybe Spike chose to accompany Twilight? The honest answer is that no one knows until the show confirms it.

Also, have you considered that they appreciate his birthday in other ways? Cards, for example?

As for the other animals, ever see one hold a job other than "livestock" or "pet"?

The most curious case I can think of is the goat species, which were both shown among Fluttershy's collection of animals and working for Iron Will. Also, it seems a bit of a stretch to call them "jobs". Cows essentially eat, give milk, pull the cartload of anvils, and are provided food at the local bakery. Apart from Winona, none of the Mane Six's pets apparently do anything other than be fed and get given a place to stay. There's more evidence to suggest they have it easy than that they are perniciously subjugated.

Nope. If I've only ever seen them being forced into subservient roles

Assumption: they are forced into those roles. At what point have we seen them forced into those roles? How do you rule out the possibility that they chose those roles, or that they really do lack some necessary qualification for, say, being bakers or scholars?

and seen clear evidence of their sentience

Firstly, I think you mean sapience, which is human-like intelligence. Sentience is the ability to, well, sense things and have raw feelings and experiences. Secondly, how many jobs are animals like Opalescence or Gummy going to be qualified for? Making advanced facial expressions, having a personality, and being able to comprehend and react to the thinking of their owners are insufficient qualifications for many job sectors, especially when their language skills are limited. And sapience isn't just one thing. For all we know, there might be legitimate reasons why, say, Opalescence couldn't be a dressmaker herself or Gummy couldn't be a baker.

then that's a sure sign of slavery. Granted they're not taking the Captain's Daughter to any of them, but that doesn't make their force servitude any less detestable.

Slavery would involve making sapient creatures work for little or no pay. But Daisy Jo apparently makes enough to buy food from the Cakes, and most of the time the farm animals appear to have it easy. In any case, how do pets fit into this? They don't even work. Lastly, you assume that, because we don't see any different in-show, therefore Equestrian society systematically prevents them from doing anything different for no good reason. This does not follow. We'd have to see a case of farm animals being denied any other work, and evidence suggesting that they'd be capable of doing it if given a fair chance. In the absence of such evidence, I think you're overreaching here.

They got over Zecora only because of a filly to young to know to be afraid and the embodiment of friendship. If it wasn't for them Zecora would still be out in the Everfree where "wild animals" live.

Granted, I don't have much good to say in their defence during that episode, Twilight included. About the most convincing argument they had was that she came out of the Everfree forest, a known hotspot for dangerous creatures, and even then, their argument boiled down to "it's an unnatural place, therefore she's unnatural, and thus evil". Still, that's at most the action of one entire rural village. Without any exploration of zebra society in Equestria, there's not a lot of conclusions you can come to on that front for ponyland in general.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 40