The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 340 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 340

edit: make sure not to respond to this comment, and just post. This thread is for you guys, not me :<

This is not a joke. We're bringing this back because some of us are tired of being able to play butt trumpets because we're so uptight. So there you go, a thread where you can post your ideas and ask each other if it's been done before.

But only this thread.

Like, the one I'm posting here. This one.

4233312 This might be useful. I found this in the FAQ.

4233317 how does that have any bearing on the original post of this thread? :rainbowhuh:

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

Has this thread idea been done before?

4233312 Has Rainbow Dash being in a sexual relationship with another mare been done before? ° ͜ʖ ͡°

Ok, I'll take the prompt serious.

Has anyone ever written a MLP parody of a popular science book, except it also included history of magic?

The example I'm thinking of is A Short History of Nearly Everything, which is written by a travel guide author who wanted to try and make scientific ideas accessible and interesting by exploring the history of the people who came up with those ideas.

Has there ever been a serious Pinkie Pie "Sherlock" story?

Has there ever been a Power Ponies-based idea that told the story of a Batman-like character who WASN'T the Mare-Do-Well?

Oh! OH! Has anybody... uh... has anybody...

... Shit, I can't think of anything, :ajbemused:

4234151 Hence why "Has x been done before?" threads are banned in the first place.

...'cause neither can they.

DH7
DH7 #12 · Apr 3rd, 2015 · · 1 ·

I can easily answer any and all questions that may arise in this thread with a simple statement: Yes, all ideas have been done before. Every single one of them. Nothing is original. A writer should be focused on the originality of the execution, rather than the idea.

Has anyone ever written a fic where one character brushes another character's teeth in a sensual manner, a la monogatari?

I'm thinking I could get away with Rainbow Dash brushing Sunset Shimmer's teeth without getting too out of character, but then they wouldn't be siblings.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Glack.
Bwah?

Bwahahahhahaha! :rainbowlaugh:

That's the best thing I've ever seen.

But, um, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Colgate fic out there with something similar.

If the relationship was shown for longer than a single busy night, then it might be pretty novel. :trollestia:

Has this thread idea been done before?

Oh, only a few times... six digits' worth of threads, seven tops.

Has Rainbow Dash being in a sexual relationship with another mare been done before?

No, never. Your story would be the very first.

Has a villan set out to destroy reality while also wanting everybody to be happy while at the same timed shipping his grandfilly and said grandfillys ex coltfriend been done before?

Is it even legal to smoke that where you live?

Has anyone ever written a MLP parody of a popular science book, except it also included history of magic?

There are problems with that, such as a lack of narrative or even characters. Also, it sounds like it may fall under the site rules of what not to post as a story, depending on how loosely the story approvers interpret the bit about "Manuals or User Guides".

DH7

Just about anything worth doing, yes. Even original fiction tends to be fanfiction of earlier works. Whole genres get started because of the same, or similar ideas being done multiple times. We might be able to come up with stuff that hasn't been done in this fandom, with these particularly characters, but that doesn't mean that we can't find those same ideas elsewhere.

A person can drive themselves mad hyper-focusing on originality. I know I did. Back when I was trying to write a novel, I kept coming up with ideas that could easily be tied to some video game I had played. I am no longer concerned with preventing myself from accidentally re-writing the premise to Devil May Cry, or whatever.

You won't catch me asking whether or not an idea has been done before, because I simply don't give two shits. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and what matters is how ell they are executed. I am not interested in originality for it's own sake.

Is it even legal to smoke that where you live?

One day Elric, one day.

Closest thing is probably this.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Has Princess Luna learning to play golf been done before?

--Sweetie Belle

Has there ever been a story where a pony rallies on the remaining citizens of Equestria to combat an invasionary threat?

Luminary
Group Contributor

No.
Please write it. :raritystarry:

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

Has X been done before?

Has anyone written a fic in which a normal animal from earth is the main protagonist?

Has there been a story based in the Dishonored game world?

There are a few listed in this group.

Celestia and Luna relinquish control of Equestria to a female Zebra, who then becomes President of Equestria and initiates a bicameral form of democratic government.

However, the two Princesses then continue to manipulate the government, via a shadowy cabal that remains out of sight.

Has this been done? I began the story for a group contest, so don't you dare steal it.

EDIT:

It is also a lovely deconstruction of all the "OC goes to Equestria, is best friends with the Mane Six, and becomes a Princess" tropes.

1.) The mane Six range from being ambivalent about the newcomer, to outright hating her.

2.) The newcomer's power is severely limited, firstly because of her chosen form of administration, and secondly because of the cabal monitoring her actions.

If it hasn't already been done, can somebody please write a crossover with these guys?

I'd do it myself, but I can't think of anything that would actually work. :ajbemused:

Meep.

4233312 My story is the only MLP FIM fanfic that is based on Tim Burton's Batman Returns

It's been done. Usually in groups of three X's. Just check the feature box at literally any time. :facehoof:

Have stories about ponies been done before? :pinkiecrazy:

4233317 I can't believe I didn't read this thread earlier. You realize the story approvers seem to ignore that last rule, right?

Comment posted by Maxes Altho deleted Jun 15th, 2015

There is a scarier alternative. The ones we see are the ones that pass approval. Imagine the ones that failed due to the last rule.

--arcum42

4391906 no. Please, don't. It would be girly.

4267096 Wouldn't ponies drown in Bikini Bottom? Or are you talking something like Sandy Cheeks suits?

Has anyone written a story where Celestia and Luna are secretly Time Lords?

4477140 Haha that's what I meant— I couldn't think of any way to make it legitimately work. Maybe I'd just have to make ponies with the anchovies' personalities, but I can't really call that a crossover, could I? :unsuresweetie:

4477634 Well I suppose if you want to be convoluted, then Twilight could make a spell to turn them into seaponies. Now there's something I haven't heard about since G1...

Has your mom been done before?

Mind blown.

:twilightblush:Has Twilight decided to go on a date with every sapient species on Equis to do a thorough and exhaustive study on the ideal romantic partner?

Then she realizes she needs to actually date a human too. after that she realizes there are probably more dimensions with other sapient species and her goal to find the optimal guy/girl leads her to insanity and a life alone. That is, until Big Mac finally works up the courage to ask her out and she realizes that the optimal partner would have been one in Ponyville because she wouldn't have wasted so much time traveling all over to find a special somepony.

She spews all of this out right in front of him and asks. "Does that make any sense."

"Eeyup.":eeyup:

Twilight smiles bashfully "So, how about Sugar Cube Corner at 2:00 next Tuesday?"

"Eeyup.":eeyup:

Has that been done before? That was a fun exercise.

Has anyone done a story where Twilight, Trixie, Sunset, Starlight Glimmer, and Moon Dancer are all alicorns?

I have an idea for that, but I haven't put it on paper yet.

...so to speak.

A crossover with the Unico manga and movies. If so, where is it?

An Albanian human in Equestria. Albanian-language dialogue included. Yea or nae?

Hitler and Gunsh almost conquer Equestria, but are stopped in the nick of time by Fegelein. That has to exist.

Has anyone ever turned this into "Secret Agent Mare"? Because I would watch that all day.

I was thinking more like this.

Also, thank you :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 340