Equestrian Historical Society 824 members · 634 stories
Comments ( 56 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 56
Impossible Numbers
Group Contributor

:pinkiehappy: First of all, welcome to the Equestrian Historical Society! This is the welcome thread, where members new and old can introduce themselves to each other. Whether you just want to say hi, meet other users, or tell us what you hope to get out of this society, feel free to put up a post here.

For instance, I originally joined this society to explore specific periods such as the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant. I'm now also interested in how other fans of the show explain certain inconsistencies, such as the flag in that pageant, and how they order their own timeline of events to make sense of the canon details.

Ahh, introductions!

Well I'm in it for the single fact that I'm a complete worldbuilding nerd. I love reading other ideas and stealing them and seeing how they differ from my own take on things.

Hello, Arch!

I'm the same way, and I think most people here are (though that's not to say that there's anything wrong with you being here if you aren't).

Feel free to read my ideas and steal them see how they differ from your take on things.

My explanation for the flag is this: It's a folk story. It's not historical. If you want more specifics, well...

807995 Well thanks to Impossible here I decided to join this group. It's great to read everyone's unique lore on blanks in Equestrian history. It's also cool to have a place to put down my own self-canon ideas on ancient history and what not. Such as Starswirl, Discord, Nightmare Moon all that jazz. Also I hope we get a dragon villain in season 4. I want more dragon history dammit! lol

I love all the things we don't know about Equestria's past. Everything the show does not tell us is a blank space on the map that fans can fill in for themselves.:rainbowdetermined2:

I explain the flag in that pageant as an anachronism, the kind of thing you see in movies all the time when they don't get the history exactly right. I actually really like the play episode because instead of getting an actual story set in the past we got a story about ponies telling the story of what happened in the past. It opens up all kinds of opportunities for them to have gotten things a little wrong. (Which can't happen if you send Twilight back in time with magic and she sees a flag like that sticking in the ground.)

Here's a question I'm curious about: was Clover the Clever a mare or a stallion? Just because a mare played the part doesn't mean anything, right? (I cast him as a stallion in my story, but my pre-reader said he thought she was a mare. That's what got me wondering.) What do you guys think?

Impossible Numbers
Group Contributor

Here's a question I'm curious about: was Clover the Clever a mare or a stallion? Just because a mare played the part doesn't mean anything, right? (I cast him as a stallion in my story, but my pre-reader said he thought she was a mare. That's what got me wondering.) What do you guys think?

There's no One True Answer, as far as I know, but I go with what I see in the episode and consider Clover a mare. Unless it's a Shakespearean play (because women in his time simply weren't allowed to take up acting) or a pantomime (because of the "obvious men in drag" joke), the sex of the actor is usually meant to be the same as that of the character they portray. I had a similar confusion when I wrote a story from Hurricane's perspective, because I had Hurricane be female and some readers didn't agree with that.

808006 I second the world building nerd movement:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: im here to see how thw wakes of time spread for equestria as well as develope my own story...its so massive :pinkiecrazy:

Greeting I am Celestia's Paladin and 807995 told me to come here. Anyone at the WBA knows me as the guy who is too creative for his own good and take pleasure on confusing the hell out of people with info dumps of headcanon.

Zobeid
Group Admin

I'm with you on the flag anachronism. I figure Celestia and Luna hadn't been born yet, in the time period that was depicted, but the producers of the play used a modern flag so that the audience would recognize it.

One thing I wonder about is the unicorn king. We were told that Princess Platinum was standing in for her father who was indisposed in some way. We don't even know his name.

With regard to Clover the Clever (AKA Clover the Cleaner!), I absolutely adore The Legend of Star Swirl the Bearded. It's a shame that it hasn't been updated in many months. (But I don't guess I can complain, given my own glacial pace of writing.)

Hey all another world builder here. I joined this group... uh I forgot exactly how, but I think I just came across it by complete chance. Anyways I'm here to share and take/borrow ideas about what other fans think happened in Equestria's past. Currently I'm working on a story revolving around a war that happened after hearth warming eve.

Some thing I've been wondering is how other beings such as buffalo, griffons, dragons, and other pony tribes (like bat ponies) shaped Equestria's history.

Why I'm here... whelp, I like world building! And history! Crazy about that stuff (oh, how History Channel has disappointed me nowadays :ajbemused:). Anyway, I have so much lore and headcanon wrapped in my devious mind I just wanna share it with the world! And when I eventually start writing an epic or something like that, I hope this group can help me out! :pinkiehappy:

Same. I was introduced to this group by Impossible Numbers. Not many people knows me since I'm never really very active in groups (read: is totally a lurker) but I occasionally posts info when I got done with it (eventually).

You lurker? Nah that can't be....

It doesn't seem that way [in fimfiction.net] because I'm trying to a little active (and it helps that there are more things [in fimfiction.net] that I could talk about) but usually I lurk around. =x

My name's Scootaloser, but most just call me "Scoots". I'm here to theorize, world-build and have interesting debates.

Hi there! This is BioChi, author of Titanomachy and Ghosts of Whitetail Wood. I'm an Equestria historian as well and both of my stories are focused on the history of Equestria and the messiness that legends tend to leave out.

What drew me to this genre of fan-fiction was the setting itself as it was layed out by Faust, etc. In the very first episode we have so much history distilled into a rich mythology with heavy Greek overtones. Every glance that we have been given into the canon history adds more questions than it resolves; giving a feeling of an endless vein to mine.

My interpretation of the flag used by the settlers of Equestria is that the divine pony sisters already existed then, they just weren't the legal head of any government at the time. By their very existence, the alicorns declare the unity of the pony race and are therefore a natural symbol of the first pan-pony government. Presumably, the two were approached sometime afterwards to establish the diarchy with the seat of government located in what is now the Everfree Forest. Further evidence of the alicorn sister's existence this far back is that they refer to knowing Starswirl the Bearded personally and Clover the Clever was his apprentice - the same Clover portrayed by Twilight in the play.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a good fic to be written about the collapse of the Triumvirate and the establishment of the Diarchy, :trixieshiftright:

Impossible Numbers
Group Contributor

Greeting I am Celestia's Paladin and >> Impossible Numbers told me to come here.

:fluttershysad: I wouldn't put it quite like that. More recommended or suggested...

What drew me to this genre of fan-fiction was the setting itself as it was layed out by Faust, etc. In the very first episode we have so much history distilled into a rich mythology with heavy Greek overtones.

I don't think I picked up on the Greek influences of the mythology as early as the first episode. Certainly, I noticed it around the time the hydra was introduced, but now you have me intrigued. What kind of things were there that I missed?

Further evidence of the alicorn sister's existence this far back is that they refer to knowing Starswirl the Bearded personally and Clover the Clever was his apprentice - the same Clover portrayed by Twilight in the play.

I'm not so sure that Luna's comment proves she knew Star Swirl personally - just that she recognized the costume when the other ponies didn't. Twilight notes in the same episode (indirectly) that Star Swirl is an obscure historical figure, so maybe Luna is just better educated in history than the average modern pony?

Some thing I've been wondering is how other beings such as buffalo, griffons, dragons, and other pony tribes (like bat ponies) shaped Equestria's history.

I don't know if you're already acquainted with it, but there is a group on this site that tackles non-pony inhabitants of Equestria such as minotaurs, changelings, and zebras. It's called the World Building Alliance, and has, to my knowledge, one thread for every canonical species, with each thread devoted solely to discussing them. It also has a lot of other topical threads and is currently hosting a series of monthly contests for writers who want to try their hand at world-building skills.

The link's here if you're interested:

The World Building Alliance

Here's a quotation from the main page, to give you an idea of what it's like:

So, what is this all about?

Well, it's about establishing a mythos for the other races of Equestria. Let's build their world.

Take Gryphons, for example. Do they have a western-type kingdom? Are there gigantic mead-halls at the top of snowy mountains for where they meet? (I sooo love that mental image) Who are their gods? How do their gods interact with Celestia and Luna?

These and more questions can be solved here. This is an archive as well. Add stories where we see a race's culture being expanded upon to the appropriate species folder. It doesn't have to be the same as to what we write here. It can serve as reference or as an interesting alternative.

And, are you a writer and you need reference for your story that includes background info for your stories? Worry not! Here it is! It's free, it's being expanded upon and we welcome your ideas!

I joined because I love the massively branching set of possible timelines in the recent and ancient past. Simple questions like "where did the Elements come from," and "what were the princesses like when they were younger" are great as story elements. I personally view the hearthswarming-as-literal-not-allegorical account of Equestrian history as mutually exclusive to the princesses-as-creators-and-protectors account, but history's kind of funny like that.

What's less funny is that history was my worst subject in school...

I joined because I am desperate for attention. However, the stories that I had in mind just happened to fit well with the topic this group is devoted to. I had one particular question to which I wanted an answer, and having come up with one, I just ran with it. Headlong into a wall, as it happened.

The thing that interested me is why Discord, who is clearly far more powerful than either Celestia or Luna without the Elements of Harmony, didn't simply kill them before they had a chance to discover the Elements and unlock their power. My solution was to envision a spirit of Order to oppose Discord, who is obviously Chaos. The Elements of Harmony represent balance between extremes, but aren't themselves the opposite of Chaos, because perfect Order would be just as destructive. I imagined the history of Equestria as having been a struggle between these two powers which finally ended when the Princesses, who hadn't been the spirits' primary targets, discovered a way to force peace. Namely by turning them to statues. I started to write a pair of stories that would investigate this, but switched to a more romance centered story so that I would receive criticism.

Hello everypony.

I joined because I am quite interested in Equestrian history and its ramifications. I love reading fics in which the history is fleshed out. Almost nothing is explained in the show, which though it is frustrating to the fans, does make for great fic writing. My own story explains how Sombra came to power over the Crystal Empire and the ramifications that this had for Equestria.

Hi! I'm MidnightRambler, named after an awesome song, and I came here through the groups list for "Of Skies Long Forgotten" (a story that got off to a promising start but went downhill a long way from there; read my critique of it here). My main reason for joining this group was that I'm fleshing out an idea for a big historical / worldbuilding fic, and I thought it would be a good idea to get in touch with others who are interested in such stories.

Working title: "Faustian Bargain"

Pitch: Faust, Empress of Equestria. The pony who defeated Discord. The pony who unified Equestria for the second time, after the nation founded in harmony had fallen apart into dozens of warring tribes. The pony who built her capital on the slopes of the mighty Canterhorn. The pony whose rule spanned several decades of untold prosperity.

But now, she is dying. Her empire will be divided among her three children: Luna, Celestia, and Sombra. The relations between these siblings are strained at best, and many fear that Equestria is in for another age of turmoil and strife.

There's more here, including a rough outline of the story, but of course, that's full of spoilers.

I am so glad there is a group for Equestrian history! History in general is a favorite subject of mine, and I gain a lot of inspiration from real life world history. My latest piece, The Private Scrapbook, deals with slavery in Equestria is based on pre-Civil War slavery. I drew a lot of inspiration from the TV mini-series Roots.

I hope to discuss a lot of Equestrian history speculation from everyone here, and together we can brainstorm some of Equestria's past!

Hello everybody, Tornado Firehooves here. As a fan of FiM, and a historian (BA in History) this group seemed a natural fit, although my ideas on the History of Equestria are a bit... backwards from the majority (literally) i still hope to have wonderful discussions with all of you on the topic.

Hello I'm Alto Scratch :scootangel: i'm an author and critique. I look forward to working withal of you
:rainbowlaugh:

Hi, Colorado Jay here.

I love to create stories of the FIM universe and give a little spin to it like what has not been done before, but that is becoming evermore difficult to find. *Faust help me* On a more personal scale I am a tad bit of a playboy, I don't go overboard at least not that much :twilightoops:. I'm random at times so don't flip when I seemingly come out of no where :pinkiecrazy: henceforth why I earned the nickname GHOST. I really have anything else to say on that subject, but wait there's more! Luna is best pony *Runs away screaming like a lunatic who did something bad but is hilarious in it's own way.*

Hi, I'm Daedelean. I just joined, and just posted my first submission to the site, The Education of Clover the Clever.

I'm a university lit student, which may possibly shine through ever so slightly in that story, and I recently joined fimfiction because the show actually inspired me to write fanfic for the first time since the year 2000.

I'm a huge mythology fan, and found the hints of cosmology and myth in the backstory of FiM tremendously suggestive and evocative, and am planning a larger story about Star Swirl the Bearded and Princess Luna. The above story was a spinoff idea that came to me one day and demanded to be written.

Hello everypony, I'm Cerulean Voice, a newbie author but long-time lurker on Fimfiction.net
My favourite type of stories are anything to do with Equestria's past, or any type of war that occurs in the same universe. My favourites in these styles feature such high quality stories as Upheaval: Breaking Point/Reckoning, Repercussions, Book of Days and Celestia in Excelsis.

I came here to hopefully introduce you, fellow members and also admins, to my own attempts at pony history: These Flowers Never Bloom and Keeper of the Crystal Heart (still under construction). Flowers is my concept based on a death metal album about how the Everfree forest (as well as Celestia and Luna) came to be. Keeper as a sequel (following a genre-switch and different main characters) builds on this world, exploring the pony tribes of old, as well as the founding of the crystal empire.

I hope my stories can win you over -- I'd like to think they're pretty unique in concept. Well anyway, cheers to anyone who thinks them worthy of attention, hope to read some good ones in here myself! :coolphoto: :yay:

...Well, since we're at it...

...My name's Alexander Dragunovv. I was born in NorthernWinds. Don't even look it on the maps, it's nowhere in Equestria. In fact, it's nowhere anymore, as an invading force wiped us all. Oh, and that happened five-hundred years ago...

...How am I alive? Frozen. Frozen in the depths of NorthernWinds. And i'm here to make you all know what really happened that catastrophical day. I believe that you won't like the real history at all, since it includes... Well... I'll better tell it once i'm away from the Royal Guards.

...Untill then...

Hello. Introducing myself. i've enjoyed fics that explore the MLP-verse's backstory, though my own preference in writing has been Doctor Whooves stories.

Following this thread, I've gone ahead and posted my own Doctor Whooves fics into the group since they feature the Doctor & companions going back to either the equivalent of pre-historic times (a pony version of the very first Doctor Who story) or explore how Nightmare Moon came to be (a story w/ the Seventh Doctor). Going by how the thread I linked went and my own intention to not violate MLP canon, I figure they should ok. Won't argue if they're removed or taken down though.

BOOM! I just exploded into existence!

My name is Claystead (which is actually the Redneckese translation of my surname), and I've been a member here for a while, but never posted a fic to the group prior to now ("Exordia").

I am actually writing a "proper" book, so I have been quite busy even when I have not been immobilized by tendonitis.

However, I will be writing from time to time, and my fanfics are usually meticulously researched to ensure scientific and linguistic accuracy. Okay, that sounded boring. Let's just say I desire to explore the Princessess and the Elements of Harmony.

PS: BOOM!

Greetings

my name is Sinister Voice, or SinVo... or just Sin ... or maybe even "hey you there with the ****** name" and one of my favorite pastimes is world-building. While I prefer to keep things as close to canon as possible and build around this as a base sometimes (especially older) headcanon takes precedence.

So enough about me.

Recently I started a little project, the main story is about a group of adventurers shortly after Nightmare Moon was banished to the Moon, so about 1000 years in the past. The main story will ever so often be accompanied by interludes (the "first" being the 2. prologue) which instead explore the world around them, the aftermath of the conflict, how Celestia deals with losing her sister and so on. I also plan to write several side stories which I think do not fit into the main story, while some will be about the main cast's background, there will be others dealing with events even further in the past.

Now since I'm a major procrastinator (as are my prereaders :facehoof: nice combination, I know) this will proably take some time to really get rolling (at the moment the 2 prologues are published and ch1 is with the prereaders)

Well maybe I've caught your attention, of so feel free to check out my story/ies. (Since I didn't see any submission rules I just posted the story in the main folder)

Otherwise happy to have joined the group, not only as a writer but also as a reader.

Hello, I'm Galrion. New to FiMfiction and to the group. My main interest is the time before the two sisters rule. Guess I've always found history interesting in life, and it has transferred over to my MLP interest. Recently started writing a fic that is pre-hearth warming, and am interested in finding other peoples head cannons on that era.

Hi, I'm Snowfeather. I joined this group because I'm writing my own story about Equestrian History and I want to place it in here when it's done. I like to read headcanons, so whenever I feel in the mood I'll drop by here.

Hello. I'm WingsOnTheBus and one of the reasons why I love this fandom is the acceptance of massive and utterly ridiculous headcanons about the origins of Equestria's planet such as mine.
I joined this group hoping to share some of my radical theories and check out others' as well. So, erm, yeah. :twistnerd:

Hello, there! My name's Nom de Plume, but you can call me Nommie, I guess. I joined to share, explore, and develop my own and others' headcannons about Equestria's history. I'm a bit of a history buff in the real world, and I enjoy worldbuilding. So Equestria, with its huge gaps, interesting myths, and clearly colorful history (howevermuch they show or don't show in cannon) is just fascinating.

Hi there! My name's Batbrony, and I'm a writer of crossover fanfiction (one crossover, to be specific) as well as an admin of the group Poniverse. I thought this looked like a cool group to join, so here I am. I should explain that my fic does actually have some detailed accounts of an era in Equestria's history, since on the surface a crossover fic titled Batmare Begins probably doesn't sound like it has anything in the way of history in it. Well, there's actually quite a bit of my head canon scattered throughout the story so far, most notably in Chapter 5: Ascent, where a very detailed account of the Crystal Empire and Sombra's rise and fall, along with some lesser detailed recounting of the Alicorn Sisters' ascent and early years in power, is given. I won't say any more since I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but I just wanted to clarify that, yes, I'm not breaking this group's rules in adding my fic. Hope any who take a look at it enjoy it! :twilightsmile:

Hullo guys! I'm Ivy! This looked cool, so I joined.

Howdy y'all! Show Stopper here, author of A Brief Chronicle of the Arcane Era of Equestria.

I've always loved world building and seeing how others build/interpret worlds. The rise and fall of nations, the origin of villains (especially that one), and other such historical mysteries. I look forward to seeing how Discord came to be, what exactly Nightmare Moon is, and where the hay Scorpan was at the end of season 4.

Hello, all, feel free to call me Lyric! This group seems perfect for me since Lyric, my OC, is a traveling bard who loves to dig up stories of Equestria's past and share them with its inhabitants. I have one such story posted so far titled Cosmic Discoveries and a few more written that have yet to be posted. I am looking forward to seeing what the others in this group come up with for Equestria's history!

Goddesses of Lesser Chaos,and future Chaos Queen. What more to say..?

Ohh, procrastinated this for too long. Name's CroakyEngine, or Croaks. I love all history and world-building in Equestria and beyond, to add more depths to the already detailed world. Currently writing a story about a story that splices modern era conspiracy and the chaotic world of the pre-Equestrian era. Really like what you've got here in this group, and the forums are all really informative.

807995 Hi actually I stumbled upon this group by accident.
I have my own hypothesis about the history of Equestria. I'm an Flutter Pony lover and beleive that Queen Rosedust was gypped in her role. The only good queen ever. She needs a proper place in Equestrian society.

Took you long enough to find this group Milady, but welcome none the less

Buenos Howdy M'ladies and M80s!
The Name's TrueGentleman, I aspire to be the George R.R. Martin of the Ponyverse (Here's a complex and heartwarming story, oh what's that? You think it's sweet? EVERYPONY DIES HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!).
But I digress, I do enjoy worldbuilding and overthinking on the cultures of all of Equestria/Equus's residents. I joined because a) I enjoy MLP, a recently converted brony and longtime fanfic author (:pinkiegasp: shockers, I know) 2) I enjoy history, and art, and writing. 3) Discussions! Discussions for days man! Right now, I am currently working on several heady topics that take place in current time (when the Mane 6 are alive) but are ancient in origins. I look forward to spewing out well thought out insanity at y'all!
"Keep your chin up, aim your hopes high, we'll see each other again, cuz GOOD TIMES ARE AHEAD!" - Clay Moore, one of my many OCs

807995 Hello, I'm WreckitRalphFan001 as you can tell, and not only did i join this group to meet interesting members, but i wanted to make a story to not only talk about the present for Twilight's friends and Discord, but delve into Discord's history in three worlds outside Equestria! (Worlds include Dragon Country, The Horizon Empire and the Nightmare Realm) Any help anyone can give on this would be much appreciated!

Hi...that's all I can think of.......sorry.....also I wanted to join this cause I like to see what people thought of before the elements and blah blah blah

Hi. I'm the dimension diver. I kinda wanted to join so I could have my first work The Ballad of Hearthswarming in an appropriate group. And I like friendlies! Yay!:yay: So far it's my only thing, but I'm working on other projects, so I hope I can get it done and stuff.:twilightsmile:

Rune Soldier Dan, super-big into military history. I have a fancy timeline in my head for Sombra's invasion of Equestria (pre-Nightmare Moon, not Sombraverse) with the rough tactics and technology level of the Napoleonic Wars (which I love studying). I wrote one story in that setting (Winged Hussars), might write more.

I like the idea of Sombra more as the clever Fascist than "Cryyyyystals." Even picked out his royally bitchin' theme song and everything:

'Ello chaps!
History nut here.
I prefer ancient and medieval to modern (:flutterrage:GUNS ARE FOR SISSIES:flutterrage:) and if it's fantasy history, so much the better.
I've been working on a War of the Deer thread in Prince Staghorn's The Known World and enjoyed every minute of it.
I like making those Orders of Battle you find on Wikipedia.
Point me to a battle and I shall come up with some petty trivia.
It's what I do...it's as sad as it sounds...:ajbemused:
I look forward to working with you! :rainbowdetermined2::yay::pinkiesmile::twilightsmile::raritywink::ajsmug:

Hello, I'm a fan of history and I decided to create my own version of the History of Equestria from the beginins of the Pony Race to the days of today.

This has a lot of HIstory behind and I will try to make a text talking about it.

This is in portuguese so I will translate:
Red is Equestria
Pink is the Griffon Kingdom
Brown is the Dragon Kingdom
Wine colour you know is the Changelings
Blue is Mexico
Purple is UK
Dark Green is the Pole Ponies Kingdom
Green is the land that didn't inteferate with Equestria neither other of this nations

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 56