Fallout Equestria 5,365 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32

Now I know that cannon Fallout Equestria is set using season 1 and 2 as the modern day pony timeline. I also realize that the big twilicorn things kind of puts dent in those two seasons for messing up with canon. But is there no possible way of implementing these season>

Like for example give twilight a reason she's not a princess anymore, or the rainbow magic..?

But is there no possible way of implementing these seasons.

Is that a question?

Like for example give twilight a reason she's not a princess anymore, or the rainbow magic..?

I don't ... I don't understand ...

If Twilight wasn't a Princess to begin with in FO:E, why would you need a reason to make her not one anymore? Season 3 and 4 technically didn't happen so she wasn't a Princess to begin with.

As for your first question, ended with a period and not a question mark, there are ways - you just have to think real hard about them and cherry-pick canon you can fit into Kkat's universe.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Fallout: Equestria is alternate universe, and it splits off from the normal MLP timeline between seasons two and three

You can't figure out a way for twilight to stop being an alicorn in FO:E, because she was never an alicorn in the FO:E universe.

3954622 This. FoE is an alternate future to the show, with the divergence point being somewhere during season 3. At some point there, the time lines went in different directions.

And the really fun part, is that if you look at it, like with the best divergence points, you can pin it to one single event, with all other changes rippling from that one. Namely, Twi's ascendance itself.

First, no ascension, so no Twilacorn.

No Twilacorn, no her being at a Princess summit wearing her Element of Harmony in the same building the Mirror is in. So no getting it stolen and no EQG.

Now this next bit is pure fanon/speculation, but it does fit all the facts and feels very very plausible. That it was the Element of Magic being taken, not just out of the Everfree, but to a whole separate dimension that weakened the Tree of Harmony to the point it succumb to the Plunder Vines. Since it broke what small connection it still had to it's power. So no EQG, no Tree being weakened.

No Tree being weakened, no giving up the Elements.

If they had the Elements, they would have been able to use them against Tirak. BUT remember, the reason Tia sent Discord after him first WASN'T that he was more powerful, well not just that. It was that he would have the easiest time tracking him. Which would still be true. So she still send D to get Tirak, with the Elements on standby for backup. Discord is still lured over to Tirak's side. But since they still have the Elements, they just go right out and blast them both. Since Discord wouldn't have time to repent and realize he DID value their friendship and complete his redemption.

Also no Rainbow Power and no giant crystal tree castle.

And that takes care of every major alteration in continuity since FoE was released that is impossible in FoE's timeline. All because of one single event having a different outcome.

cannon

*Pet peeve triggered*

It's canon not cannon, a cannon is a type of weapon, canon (in this case) is something factual pertaining to a work of fiction. There's a bloody large difference, is there not?

You know, if 3954670 hadn't said it, I would have.

G-man64
Group Contributor

Rainbow Powers and Twilicorn are an absolute no, basically anything that absolutely changes the established canon can be thrown out the window.

However, there's no reason later episodes can't have happened, the main key is understanding the changes that would be established due to the removal of the elements that alter canon.

Most are simple enough, remove Twilicorn and basically any of it can happen, same with the gifts being the keys in season 4.

And even if you don't want to include the episode straight up, that doesn't mean the characters never existed, simply because their episodes didn't happen doesn't mean they were magically unborn.

There can still be Cheese Sandwich, Coco, Silver Shill, and whoever even if they never had a direct impact on the Mane 6.

The real key is to make sure everything still ends up lining up into place.

Anything can be done, you just gotta think enough to make it line up right.

Alicorn Twilight or not in the long run she would find/develop magic that can break across species , or could argue that with enought time she would upgrade the spell that give wings to Rarity and give herself pegasus wings (albeit temporary or permanent be optinal ) and do the reversal also (take away the wings) and reserve the knowledge for herself (that vary with the circunstances ).
EG is semi-canon , that mean that what happend there don't have the enought impact to alter Equestria as a whole because almost nopony (except M6 and Princesses) know about that event in particular , so it could left out of the story,and is not a place to get help because is hard access place and a dissaster in logistic to happen.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Alicorn Twilight or not in the long run she would find/develop magic that can break across species , or could argue that with enought time she would upgrade the spell that give wings to Rarity and give herself pegasus wings (albeit temporary or permanent be optinal ) and do the reversal also (take away the wings) and reserve the knowledge for herself (that vary with the circunstances ).

This is what's known as "speculative headcanon". Not fact. Please refrain from using words like "would" in such situations, as you don't know what would happen with 100% certainty. You just think it might happen, which is different.

Any major event after Discord's reformation or Twilight's coronation is pretty much impossible to fit into the Foe timeline, but most new characters can be added in just fine, just not the big villains like Tirek or the Sirens.

3954887 Well really the only things that would be impossible, episode wise, would be the Two parters. And MMC. Most of the rest could happen with a few changes. Even Discord being reformed could have happened. And then at some point later he screwed up, got tired of playing nice, and they had to re-imprison him.

Honestly I doubt it. I mean the implications that Celestia presumably has the power to turn ponies into Alicorns would kinda change the way Twilight did... everything during the war really. The addition of the Crystal Empire would change everything as well, no matter how reclusive they tried to be. :applejackunsure:

G-man64
Group Contributor

3954887 3954937
Personally, I actually thought of a whole thing for a PnP a while back about Luna or Celestia giving Discord his own patch of land, or a type of pocket dimension to do with as he pleased to try and better understand his powers, and find out how they could be of use.

In the end, he was only ever rumored to be back in stone, for all we know he could have been reformed, and walking among wastelanders as we speak. Probably in some kind of ponysona, not unlike dragons in Shadowrun or D&D.

A god amongst ponies, never reveling his true self unless it was called for.

Or he could just be stone again, we can do whatever, there's no canon implication.

A lot of people really love using the Empire though, I mean most anything's possible, like I explained earlier though, you need to think of how to blend them properly.

How I see it, after season 2, Twilight moves further on the path of Starsweirl the Bearded, than on the path of a Princess. The best way to explain why, pin this is on Celestia, and say that she decided that Twilight would best become the next grate unicorn wizard, then a princess.

3954994 Must... resist... meme... reference... :fluttershyouch:

G-man64
Group Contributor

Dude do it if you want to, it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry I'm a horrible, weak person :rainbowlaugh:

G-man64
Group Contributor

Nothing wrong with memes my friend.

FaceDeer
Group Contributor

Personally, if one really wants to get down and dirty with canonicity, there's a much better approach IMO.

The comics have made it canon that there are multiple different parallel-universe Equestrias that Starswirl the Bearded figured out how to access via enchanted mirrors. FoE is simply one in which the timelines diverged at some point, with the divergence only becoming dramatically noticeable around the season 2 mark. Something happened around then that resulted in a major change in direction between the two timelines.

One theory I like is that Cadence didn't fall in love with Shining Armor. No royal wedding means no Changeling invasion, no return of the Crystal Empire, no final tests for Twilight, no reformation of Discord, no alicorn ascension.

I find I really enjoy stories that play around with the idea of averting Fallout Equestria's timeline. Outside the Reaching Sky and Lacuna are the ones I know of offhand.

I was gonna ... but I can't be too much of a smartass anymore.

3954591 There's this concept known as 'broad strokes' I think is relevant here. Look it up.

This has been answered enough times that there's no point in answering it again.

3954591 From what I've seen, the further you get past the first season the more twisted the logic required to fit the show canon to the FoE canon, to the extent that is really is best to just consider that FoE is just a different timeline that diverged sometime in seasons 1/2. I'm afraid I have to be a little shameless here and make a plug, because 38 Minutes, my FoE story has alicorn Twilight trying to figure out where this divergance was as a major plot point :twilightsheepish:

I say everything that doesn't directly reference twilicorn or rely on it is easily able to be worked in. With some creativity, I've been able to work in even Flash and Sunset Shimmer on my FOE Fluttershy blog

None of it is fact. It is, by definition, fiction.

This goes back to the same thing we discuss over and over in these types of threads. The idea of "canon" being this ambiguous term which sometimes means "official" and other times means "fits with that which is official". And now we have a third type of canon called "speculative headcanon" which apparently can be anything that "fits with that which is official if you put some effort into it".

Really, what's the difference between some random side story which happens to not contradict the book, and a side story which changes things that some people here don't like, but also fits with the book if you bang on it a little bit?

For Twilicorn, the reason this contradicts the book is because Twilight is referred to as a unicorn in the book. No other reason. She didn't have wings in the book, therefore any side story where she has wings is a contradiction. And not even really that bad of one. Again it's only because she was explicitly referred to as a unicorn in the book!

If by some odd chance the book did not refer to Twilight as a unicorn, then technically it would not be a contradiction to write a side story where she is an alicorn. Why? Because the whole Maripony accident does not absolutely require her to not be an alicorn. Now, after you calm down from reading that, here's why.

If you consider the evidence from the show, it is easy to assume that "ascended" alicorns such as Twilight and Cadence are not particularly powerful like Celestia and Luna. Not much is said directly about this, but observations throughout Season 4 show Twilight having really no different capabilities than she did in the earlier seasons except for the ability to fly. That's it, really. In fact, the arguably most powerful thing Twilight has done apart from her artificially boosted Dragonball Z powers in the battle with Tirek, was in Season 3's Too Many Pinkie Pies where she already had what appeared to be far and away more than your typical unicorn's level of magical prowess. All her ascension did was put wings on her back. And that by itself does not break the Fo:E story.

So if the Maripony accident happened to Twilicorn (as we see her in the show), would it have turned out the same way? Probably. In fact, it might better be explained if she was an ascended alicorn than just a unicorn. This, being because there were "not quite genuine" alicorns produced from the whole mess.

So really, in summary, none of the side stories are canon. We already know this. There's no sense arguing about it. If you all are trying to form your little collection of side stories that 100% conform with the book, that's fine and all, but it doesn't make those stories canon. All it does is give you this unofficial collection of stories that are internally consistent. That sounds like a personal project, really. There's nothing whatsoever from an objective standpoint which says that it is somehow wrong to make stories which deviate from the book, as opposed to stories which do not deviate from the book.

And even then all you have is implicit vs explicit deviations from the book. Anything could be said to be a deviation from the book simply because its content is not contained within the book! So if you make a side story where your main character named Chip emerges from Stable 85 and has some sort of adventure that never once crosses path with anything from the book, then that's still a deviation because it's not in the book. The author has made up stuff and written about it. It's all speculative. These are implicit deviations. Explicit deviations would be changing anything which is directly stated in the book. Like Twilicorn. Or any change at all which directly contradicts the book. But here's the kicker: There is no reason to think that doing so is a bad thing.

Now I know that cannon Fallout Equestria is set using season 1 and 2 as the modern day pony timeline.

I asked this question here, and I received an answer of "think as you want". So, I think it is actually better to ask Kkat herself... And one guy was banned for no reason.

In my headcanon, I think that all seasons so far happened in FoE past. I am going to change it if Kkat says so, but at this moment - nope. And I think it is quite easy to find or to come up with explanation why Twi is no longer alicorn or any other stuff. I actually do not understand where it contradicts canon of FoE.

The other point is that I am not going to pay too much attention for it in foefic, if I ever will. But good for a brain exercise, I think.

Kkat finished it as "Hearth's Warming Eve" aired.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

This goes back to the same thing we discuss over and over in these types of threads. The idea of "canon" being this ambiguous term which sometimes means "official" and other times means "fits with that which is official". And now we have a third type of canon called "speculative headcanon" which apparently can be anything that "fits with that which is official if you put some effort into it".

Wrong. If this is what you took away from that thread, then I'm sorry, but you either misunderstood or were mislead.

Canon is in no way ambiguous. It always means "official". It never means "fits with official". Headcanon means "fits with official, but never been shown to be official".

For Twilicorn, the reason this contradicts the book is because Twilight is referred to as a unicorn in the book. No other reason

(I'm assuming that by "book" you mean FO:E, here)
So? Is this the entirety of your argument? "Twilight is a unicorn because the original story said so, and that's not a good enough reason for me?" What?

So really, in summary, none of the side stories are canon.

We know this. But that doesn't mean that it's okay to just ignore established lore.
No stories on fimfic are canon, but if your story features Twilight being a stegosaurus for no reason, you're gonna struggle. (Unless, of course, the purpose of the fic is abstract humour, but that's a whole different kettle of fish)

But that doesn't mean that it's okay to just ignore established lore.

Agreed. I think the only ambiguity left after the official word on the matter is how much deviation is okay before the story starts to gather negative attention for it. Clearly, according to Kkat, deviations in themselves are not bad. Ignoring or opposing canon has potential consequences in how well the story is received. But if something can be made to fit, especially if someone's particular headcanon comes up with a creative solution to an apparent contradiction, I think this should be encouraged, rather than discouraged.

but if your story features Twilight being a stegosaurus for no reason

Oh... Dang, there goes my next story idea!
Seriously though, that gave me a good thirty seconds of genuine laughter! You have my thanks. :derpytongue2:

Thanks for everyone's help, just wanted to make sure and get some advise before I make it a definite thing in my story.

3954670 3954719
Thank you for pointing that out, never been the best at looking over stuff I write.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

But if something can be made to fit, especially if someone's particular headcanon comes up with a creative solution to an apparent contradiction, I think this should be encouraged

The problem is, trying to work S3/4 lore into an FO:E sidestory would be like a sidefic where it says LittlePip was actually an alicorn the whole time

^THIS^

And above all, even if you have deviations. The MOST important thing, is that it's clear you respect the source material. If it comes off as you just making the changes because you think your ideas are better. Yeah, that's pretty much the quickest way to screw yourself and get buried in hatred.

Well said. I completely agree. I think when it comes down to the sliding scale of "how much can you change without crossing the line" what it really comes down to is whether or not the author respects the source material.

And as such, it's not actually the content of what is changed. This is why none of us can draw a line and say "thou shalt not cross here". If the author is giving the middle finger to the original story, I think it will be apparent in their work.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32