• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 417 Views, 2 Comments

Calm Morning - BetaHammer



Beta finds himself remembering the past as he visits the Canterlot Graveyard, while also meeting new people

  • ...
 2
 417

Memory

Memory


The city was in a dome, gray skies looming over head, while the air hung damp from the storm the night before. Thunder became a symphony of sound, frightening and awe-inspiring for its audiance. Lightning dancing, performing for the citizens below, mixing with the gracious roars of thunder. Together these divine artists entertained the night until the morning, leaving behind the alluring mist in its wake. Dawn soon turned to noon, day guards switched with night guards, and everyone began their day.

Through out the city of Canterlot, there are many landmarks that are easy to find; the Royal Castle, many celebrities homes, and various stores and residents of the grand city. Of all the extravagant structures and architecture, the cemetary holds more value to a royal blue pegasus than others.

Beta Hammer, the blue soldier with a crimson mane, stood solitary in the graveyard, over two gravestones. His gaze was emotionless as he stared towards the ground below, not moving at all while his breath held still. In his wings he held two bouquets, both white, and shortly placed them against the headstones. Beta tried to move away, or at least created alittle more distance between himself and the graves, but all he could manage was a shakey sit until he eventually laid down infront of them. He always made sure to cover his emotions, but for now his emotions refused to obey to his will. Tears rolled down Beta's face, letting forth his grief and sorrow out onto the world.

"I'm sorry" Beta said to himself in a hushed tone, barely letting out a sob. He paused for a second, recollecting himself to continue his prayer. "I am sorry. I.....I couldn't save you two. No matter how strong I got, you always were the ones to save me"

On the tombstones infront of Beta read two important names for the sorrowful soldier.

Lt. Alpha Hammer: Loving Husband and Father
Noble Shield: Loving Wife and Mother

With a heavy sigh Beta stood up from the graves, looking on them with sad eyes. "I know it was your job to protect me, and for that I will forever to your sacrifice. Its just...why did it have to be you two?" Beta asked as he looked towards the clouded sky.

It was then Beta realized that he was not alone in the cemetary. Behind him, only a few feet away, stood a dark red unicorn mare with a deep amber mane. On her back held to holsters holding a pair of black dual pistols, explaining very well what her special talent was. A look of pure concern and kindness was displayed on her face as she looked Beta square into the eye.

"Hello" she said in a quiet voice.

"Hello" Beta replied as he began to exit the graveyard, but was interupted by the same mare. "Excuse me"

"My name is Quick Shot" she said with a smile.

"My name is Beta Hammer" he replied while looking to the ground. Quick Shot sat down next to where Beta was and looked towards the headstones, Beta soon following her actions.

"Are these your parents?" she asked calmly.

"Yes"

"I'm sorry for your loss"

"Thank you" Beta replied quietly, trying his best to not breakdown again. "Why are you here?"

"I was visiting my grandmother, she died a couple of years ago so I try to visit every year" Quick Shot explained, looking over to a smaller grave. "How did your parents die?"

Beta was taken aback by Quick's question, remebering the day of their sacrifice. "Are you sure you want to here a story from a stranger in a cemetary?" she nodded in response. "Alright"

"It happened around 2 years ago, during the changeling invasion on the day of the royal wedding. We were out numbered, most of our forces falling to the surprise attack of the changelings, everyone was in a panic. My parents were strong leaders, my father a lieutenant and my mother his second. They controlled the situation and turned the fight to their favor as my squad and I arrived to lend support. We fought together as the rest of our collective squads escorted teh citizens to safer areas"

"We were winning, fighting beside my parents was amazing, the three of us in sync as we forced back the channgelings" Beta paused as tears began to form, a smile came to his face as he thought back to his parents bravery. His face dropped back down as he continued.

"Then the channgelings brought out their best. A channgeling that showed no mercy, he destroyed a hospital before attack the three of us. He chopped down guards, and even his own men, just to get a chance to fight the three guards who were kicking their tails. He separated us. distracting me with fake out, while knocking me down with each blow. My parents were able to knock he back far enough for us to reassemble. He came charging with two spears at his sides, while keeping his head low for his horn to become a weapon. At once we dodged and countered, separating once more thinking the fight was over"

"We were so wrong. The channgeling snuck behind me and attacked, ready to rip through my body with his spears, and I should have died right then and there. But my parents...." Beta chocked down his pain for a moment, Quick Shot patting his back to lend support. "They jumped infront of them, protecting me as the spears pierced through their hearts"

"That is really terrible, what happened" Quick Shot said after a few moments.

"Thank you for listening" Beta said, shrugging of his depression.

"What happened to that channgeling?" she asked alittle worried of his answer.

"Don't know. He was blasted away along with the rest of them" Beta said plainly.

"At least you didn't kill him" she said, confusing Beta.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I see it like this. Your parents probably could have killed that channgeling way before that fight started, especially with you help" she explained.

"So?"

"So that isn't justice, that's murder. My special talent implies that I kill ponies for a living, making everyone distant. But I just capture criminals, I don't kill them. Your parents were royal guards, they don't kill everything that attacks the castle, they capture them. I think if you killed him, then they would have died for nothing but to create a killer" she finished, leaving Beta with some wisdom. It took he a moment before he began to speak again, this time with higher spirits.

"You're right. You're absolutely, 100% right! My parents didn't raise me as a killer, so why should I become one! I'm a guard and my job is to stop and apprehend those who threaten the lives of everyone and anyone." Beta said with a smile.

"Well how about we go get lunch?" she said suddenly, standing from the ground with a smile on her face.

"Alright, I'm buying" Beta said catching up to his new friend.

"Good thing too, I'm broke" Quick said with a laugh.

With higher spirits, Beta and Quick left the cemetary, leaving behind their sorrow. The air lightened as the mist over the city cleared. The damp, cold clouds over head slowly began to part, making way for the warm, golden beams of sunlight to bring about the new day for the two friends.

Comments ( 2 )

Despite the common spelling and grammar mistakes, the story was much more descriptive than most others I read on this site. Kudos to accurately contrasting criminal apprehension versus murder. I enjoyed it.

2495733 Thank you. Usually I use spell check for my stories, but this one I just wrote it on the website. Luckly my friends wont let me post another one until they proof read.

Login or register to comment