• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 3,218 Views, 179 Comments

That Which was Lost - LadyRFC



Twilight has no time to adjust to becoming a princess. Not when news of an alliance between an eastern nation and changlings comes to light. Charged with investigating the matter, Twilight and her friends soon find that every tale has two sides...

  • ...
7
 179
 3,218

Blitz

Spike looked around his new home. It was extremely large, almost as big as the throne room in the Canterlot castle. But it wasn't nearly as fancy. No, it was nothing more than an overly large barn. Hay, golden and fresh, was strewn all over the floor and in great piles in individual stalls to the right and left. Windows brought in the bright afternoon sun and a gentle breeze.

“At least they keep it clean in here,” the dragon mumbled to himself, trying to gather his courage. Taking a deep breath he billowed, “Hello? Is anypony else in here?”

“Pony? Why would you ask for them?”

Spike swung around to see two yellow eyes peering out from the shadows of a nearby stall.

“Woah!” Spike took a few steps back. “Uh, well, uh... just... W-who are you?”

The eyes blinked and then slowly moved forward. It was a dragon, not much older than Spike, with gray scales and copper toned spikes. He stopped, on all four legs, staring just as hard at Spike. They both stood like that for some time, speechless and suspicious. Until, at last, the gray dragon broke the silence.

“You're new.” It was a statement rather than a question. And Spike couldn't refute it.

“Uh, yeah, kinda,” he looked over his new “roommate.” “Have you been here long?”

The gray dragon gave a snort, teeth glinting in the bright light. “Whole life, like everydragon else.” He eyed Spike. “But what about you? I don't remember you in the hatchery...”

“Oh,” Spike shrugged and looked around again, “that's cause I wasn't born here. I was born in Canterlot.”

“Where's that?”

Spike brought his eyes back to the gray dragon. “In Equestria. Oh, and my name's Spike, by the way.”

“Blitz,” the gray dragon replied distractedly. “Equestria? Where's that? Beyond the great mountains?”

Spike shook his head. “Nah, it's across the desert.”

Blitz' eyes grew wide. “You came all the way across that on your mother's back?”

Spike flinched. “Uh, no. I walked.”

“All the way?” a small voice asked from behind Blitz.

“Shhh!” Blitz muttered behind him in an irritated fashion.

“But I wanna meet Spike, too,” the small voice protested.

Two more small yellow eyes appeared and moved forward. It was another, slightly smaller dragon, with darker gray scales that were nearly black and opal colored spikes that dazzled the eyes. It cautiously moved to Blitz' side and looked over Spike curiously.

“This is my sister, Serendipity,” Blitz introduced dryly. He turned towards his sister and whispered quickly, “You should have waited until I said it was okay.”

She wrinkled her nose up at him and looked back at Spike. “What's Equestria like?”

“It's pretty cool. There are donut shops and trains and boutiques and gems!”

The two siblings' both stared with rapped attention, eyes wide, heads trust forward.

“Are... are ponies there?” Serendipity asked, a worried look on her face.

“Of course!” Spike answered happily.

But the reaction he got for his answer wasn't what he expected. Both siblings looked horrified and then disappointed.

Confused, Spike went on. “My best friends are ponies. Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Applejack.”

Blitz' nose was wrinkled in disgust. “How can ponies be your friends?”

Spike didn't like the tone in his new friend’s voice and he straightened his back as he replied, “Easy. They teach me all kinds of stuff. And they listen to me when I'm worried, cheer me up when I'm sad, help me out when I'm in trouble and,” he took a breath, eyes a bit wet as his current situation began to finally sink in, “love me no matter what.”

Now both dragon siblings looked confused.

“They,” Serendipity asked shyly, “they don't use you? They don't keep you in a cage?”

“A cage?” Spike asked, forgetting his loneliness for a moment as he focused on the conversation at hand. “Why would they put me in a cage?”

Blitz stood up straight, though he remained, like his sister, on all fours. “That's what ponies here do. They keep us in line. And when we get older, move us to different areas for training. We're used here for transportation for the royal family and for war.”

Spike's eyes grew large. “For war? What war?”

Blitz' eyes drew over towards one tall window near the peeked ceiling. Mountains showed in the distance, fog covering the tops. “Over the mountains... You didn't know?”

Spike shook his head. “Equestria is the other way so... We barely knew anything about this place!”

Suddenly Blitz cried out in pain and dropped to his stomach on the hay covered floor, his nostrils flaring in deep breaths, Serendipity hovering over him with sad eyes.

Spike rushed over. “What is it? What's wrong? Are you sick?”

Blitz' back arched up in a spasm and that's when Spike noticed two odd bumps near the dragon's shoulder blades.

“Y-you're growing wings!” Spike stared opened mouthed in both amazement and horror. He had always dreamed of having wings of his own, but he had never stopped to think about how that would happen. Now he was beginning to figure it out.

“Don't tell them!” Serendipity suddenly requested, her eyes big and pleading.

Spike tilted his head. “Tell who?”

“The caregivers,” Blitz answered through gritted teeth. “If they find out... I'll be moved. And I... don't want to leave my... sister.”

Spike was about to answer that he wouldn't tell when a loud chirp sounded and a blue flash rushed past his head. He looked about to see the same blue bird as before perch onto a nearby stall gate.

“You!” Spike looked between the bird and Blitz. His eyes hardened. Rushing over towards the bird's side he asked quickly, “Do you know how to get back to Fluttershy?”

The bird tilted its head and then nodded.

Spike smiled. “Good. I want you to let her know that I need a bit of help and I have two new friends,” he looked over at the two dragons for a second, “who are coming with me.”

The bird nodded again and then flew back out the window with its message. Spike sighed, walked back over towards Serendipity and Blitz, who was just getting up again.

“I won't tell the caregivers anything, but hopefully that won't even matter soon,” he announced to them with a grin.

Blitz gave Spike an unsure look. “What is that bird going to do? Its just a bird.”

Spike shook his head. “Oh, no. That's a bird with connections.” He clicked his craws together in a devilish fashion. “Very powerful connections...”

The two dragons just stared at him. Spike sighed, dropped his claws and sat down on the floor.

“Okay then. Maybe you should tell me about this place a bit. I'm afraid I'm not all that knowledgeable about dragons...”