• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 870 Views, 15 Comments

Letters to Celestia - Flutterbye4ever



The Mane Six's letters to Celestia.

  • ...
1
 15
 870

Apple Jack

Howdy, Princess.

Your faithful subject, AppleJack, here. Bet you expected me to write funny, huh?

Most ponies do. Most ponies assume that, just because I speak with a drawl and live on a farm, I'm pretty ignorant.

Well, to be plain, they're wrong. Maybe I should explain.

I grew up on Sweet Apple Acres, as you might know. My parents were two lovely, hardworking ponies. My mother was named Ten-gallon Hat, and she was a pretty unruly pony when she was young, or so I've heard. Back then, mares were supposed to be lady-like and genteel. Well, Ten-gallon Hat wasn't. She was outspoken and lively. She snuck off and joined a rodeo when she was just a filly, and she sure was one of the best bronco-busters you ever did see.

My dad, Apple Buck, was a stout, awkward country colt from Sweet Apple Acres. He had a heart of pure gold, but he was shyer than a rabbit.

Well, my dad went to one of my mom's rodeos once. The rest, as they say, is history.

I grew up on Sweet Apple Acres, and I loved my folks dearly. We would spend most nights, Big Mac, Granny Smith, Ma, Paw, and I, sitting on the back porch and looking at the stars.

My parents did most of the work on the farm: apple-bucking, apple-picking, painting, chopping, cooking, you name it. Big Mac and I went to school here in Ponyville.

I was the star student there, you know. Big Mac never did learn much, but I just soaked up all that schooling like it was a gallon of apple cider. Ma and Paw were so proud of me. It was my dream back then to be a scientist, and Ma and Paw supported me with all their hearts. I would have been the first scientist in our family, after all. Even though I was still a filly, my family and I had it all planned out.

All that changed when my little sister, Apple Bloom, was born.

Ma died in the delivery room. Apple Bloom survived, but just barely.

A few days later my Paw died from grief.

I was torn up inside. My parents, my Ma and my Paw, were gone just like that.

My grief quickly turned into anger, though. How dare Apple Bloom have made my Ma die! How dare my Paw have died when he knew I needed him so much! How dare they!

That was when I decided that I would go to Manehatten. At least Auntie and Uncle Orange would be sympathetic, I thought.

For a few days I stood it-the crowds, the dinner parties, the gourmet food. I felt crooked inside, though. This wasn't what I had expected.

As I was sitting in my room one night, all tuckered out from a long day of fancy manners, I sighed. I don't think I'd ever been more depressed in my life. Just as I was about to start bawling, I happened to look up. A brilliant rainbow was streaking across the sky, heading straight for Sweet Apple Acres!

My mind got to churning. Maybe I was supposed to go back home!

Maybe, I thought, if Apple Bloom had been important enough for my mother to risk her life, then maybe-just maybe- I should give her a chance, too.

I sniffed and started packing my bags. Home was where I belonged-they needed me there!

When I got back, after the joyful reunion and the cutie-mark, I noticed that the farm was in pretty bad shape.

The apples were rotting on the trees, and the fence was sagging.
Try as they could, with their hooves full of their grief and my new baby sister, Big Mac ad Granny Smith just couldn't keep the farm up and running by themselves.

That was when I made my decision. My parents had wanted me to be a scientist, and I had, too. But my parents were gone now, and I was needed desperately at Sweet Apple Acres.

I squared my shoulders, put away my school-books, and started bucking trees. Ever since then, I've been a plain ol' cowpony.

I hate it when people spell out words in front of me, thinking I can't understand them. I hate it when they assume I'm stupid, even though I'm probably smarter then they are. But you know what? Sweet Apple Acres needs me. And because it does, for now at least, I am just a cowpony.

Sorry for bothering you with all this stuff, Your Majesty.
I suppose, that since I'm the Element of Honesty, I just naturally write down whatever I'm thinking.

It's probably mighty disrespectful of me, too. Sorry, Princess. I hope you don't mind too bad.

~Your subject,

Apple Jack

Comments ( 12 )

At first I was like 'Dawwww...' but then I was like 'DAAAAAAAWWWW!'

Applejack is one word, but I compliment you on a job well done.
P.S. So is Applebloom.

Wow this was really interesting! I always believed, myself, that Applejack was downright well book-read and by-no-means, as "dumb" as people tend to think Southerners/cowboys are, so I like the idea of her originally wanting to become a scientist! :twilightsmile: All-in-all, great little quips you got going here. I read Twilight's too, but because AJ is my favorite pony, I decided to at least comment on her chapter. :raritywink:

So does this mean that Applejack is smarter than Twilight?

i wonder if you'll make bg ponies write them :D

The mare who made a "fancy mathematics" quip to Big Mac wanted to be a scientist? Didn't see that coming.

2442731 Thanks!
2443250 Not necessarily. I think her intelligence might rival Twi's in some aspects, but in most things, Twi is still probably the smartest one. According to my headcanon, at least! XD

2443601 Probably not. After all, the Mane Six know Celestia, but the bg ponies (probably) don't.
So it would be considered kinda odd and possibly arrogant for them to write to Celestia about random things.

2443047 I'm a Southerner (Texan) myself, so that's part of the reason I made her smarter than most people would expect! XD Plus, I think A.J. is unfairly stereotyped by most of the fan base about her intelligence.

RAWRity
After two funerals on top of taking care of a newborn foal? They might not've had enough money for a farmhand and whatever land expenses needed to be paid.

Login or register to comment