• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 2,502 Views, 110 Comments

Dr Who / Lunaverse - Time after Time - Talon and Thorn



Fleeing from the Time Lords the Doctor accidentally damages the barrier between his own universe and that of Equestria an event that may lead to disaster for both universe. Now he must visit Equestria again and again to solve the problem.

  • ...
8
 110
 2,502

5th Doctor - The Good Sport

It was a beautiful day in Canterlot - summer was on the way and there was hardly a cloud in the sky. The sun was beating down but the air was just the right temperature, not too hot and not too cold, just pleasant. It had been like that for several years now; some considered it a quiet threat - others, an apology. What the sun thought of it only a few close friends were willing to ask and they rarely got a straight answer. As always the sun shone down on everypony equally, the high and the low, the rich and the poor, the honest and the crooked, and the blue box.

The blue box was a new addition to the castle. In fact, it had not been there even a few seconds ago, just having faded in with a sound like elephants mating. Either by accident or design, it had appeared in an out of the way part of the castle gardens. Despite the commotion going on nearby, nopony seemed to have noticed its arrival.

The door to the TARDIS opened and the Doctor walked out, looking around. In his current incarnation his coat was pure white and his mane a dirty blond. He wore a white shirt covered with a tan jacket and red and white striped trousers, and on his head sat a cream panama hat. Immediately upon exiting the vehicle, a look of discomfort crossed his face and he started to wriggle around. “There’s something wrong here,” he announced with a grimace. “This coat doesn’t seem to fit. Stay in there for a while, there might be something wrong with the transmogrifier,” he yelled into the TARDIS.

Carrying out some minor gymnastics, the Doctor managed to pry the coat off of his form - revealing a set of feathery wings attached to his back. They unconsciously stretched before folding once again over his back. “Those are new,” he muttered.

“What is it, Doctor?” asked Nyssa as she exited the TARDIS. Her form was that of a young mare. She wore a plum crushed velvet dress and a gossamer cape, her coat was light pink, and her tightly curled mane was dark red.

“I appear to have been graced with an extra pair of limbs this time. It’s the first time I’ve taken on the form of a pegasus.” he flapped his wings experimentally. “These would have been useful the last time I was here.”

“The dominant species on this world have both quadruped and hexapod forms? That seems rather unlikely.”

“Yes, but you must remember that we are in an entirely different universe. The rules may be rather different here. Still, I think they look rather dashing.” The Doctor twisted his head around for a moment, admiring himself.

Nyssa likewise examined herself. “Well, I seem to have ended up as a quadruped.” Then she let out a small scream.

“What is it?” asked the Doctor rushing over.

“My cape moved by itself!” she exclaimed. Then with a soft whoosh of displaced air the accessory unfurled into a large set of transparent butterfly wings.

The Doctor stood stock still in shock for a moment. “That’s a new one to me,” he muttered. “This must be some interaction between the transmogrification matrix and Trakonite physiology,” he explained.

“They are beautiful,” sighed Nyssa, turning her newly discovered wings in the sun. “It is a shame there is no possible way they could be functional.” She gave her wings a flap and to her surprise she rose several feet into the air. “I can fly!” she exclaimed.

“I did say we were in a different universe. Apparently aerodynamics work differently here.” He pulled out a pair of glasses and peered at Nyssa. She was now hovering at head height, held aloft by the occasional flap of her wings.

“Wow Nyssa, you look like you should be on top of a Christmas tree,” said the Doctor's second companion, Tegan, as she left the TARDIS. Her coat was orange and her mane a pale blue, and she was wearing a purple stewardess uniform, complete with a small hat balanced between her ears. “So what did I end up as? Can I fly too?”

The Doctor looked over Tegan’s form. “Err, you appear to be what is locally called an earth pony.”

“Earth Pony? What do they do, burrow underground?”

The Doctor looked a little nervous. “No, they’re more or less like earth horses. Although I believe they are stronger and tougher than other species of equines here abouts.”

“That’s it?” yelled Tegan. “Rabbits! I suppose I’m lucky I didn’t end up as a ruddy Roo.”

Ignoring her friend’s displeasure, Nyssa was flying from side to side trying out her new wings. “Doctor, you have to try this,” she said.

“I do have to say this was something I was looking forward to,” said the Doctor. “If you’d just step aside, Tegan, I think I might need a bit of a run up for this.” Pawing the ground a bit, the Doctor ran forwards and leapt into the air extending him wings to their fullest. However, they completely failed to catch any wind and he dropped straight down to the ground, face first.

Nyssa looked shocked while Tegan began to laugh at his misfortune. The Doctor picked himself up and scowled at the Australian. “I might need a little practice,” he said before trying again. This time he made it into the air after several frantic flaps but quickly careened off course and crashed into the side of the TARDIS, landing in a dazed heap on the ground.

“No wonder you can’t fly the TARDIS, you can’t even fly yourself,” chuckled Tegan.

The Doctor picked himself up once more. “Maybe it’s better I keep my hooves on the ground for the moment,” he muttered. “Anyway, we have a job to do here. Remember, we have limited time in this dimension. The transmogrifier can keep us safe for quite a few hours, but eventually we will interact explosively with this universe's matter.”

“Like Omega then?” asked Tegan.

The Doctor paused for a second, thinking about his recent adventure. “Yes, our situation is uncomfortably similar,” he said with a shudder. Getting back to business he took the tracker from around his waist and swung it backwards and forwards. The device gave a loud bleep. “Ah, it appears our target isn’t very far away, less than a mile I’d say, probably at the opposite side of this building.”

“It is rather grand isn’t it Doctor,” said Nyssa, looking up at the towering edifice above them while slowly rising into the air to meet it.

“Yes, I do think I’ve seen it before. Although from a greater distance. I think this is castle Canterlot, in the capital of Equestria.”

“A castle? This place is a monarchy?” asked Tegan.

“Not necessarily,” The Doctor rubbed his chin. “Although think I remember a princess being mentioned... but it was a long time ago, to me anyway. Maybe we’ll find out.” With that he led his small group through the gardens towards the far side of the castle.

As the party passed, a pair of stallions raised their heads from behind a large bush. They looked almost identical, both having brown coats and leaf green manes, but one’s head was graced with a horn.

“Did you see that?” asked the earth pony. “Those wings!” he continued in awe.

“Yes indeed brother of mine,” said the unicorn. “A rare specimen.”

“I thought Flutter ponies were just a myth, Trapper.”

“No, they exist, but they’re very rare. And I can think of one of our regulars who would be very interested in getting her hooves on one for her ‘collection’, Hunter.”

“I didn’t think she did that anymore?”

“A zebra can’t change its stripes, brother of mine, she won’t be able to help herself if we turn up with such a pretty prize.”

“Are you sure this one’s real? I’ve heard of spells...”

“The horn never lies, there’s no magic there,” replied his brother, his horn glowing. “Anyway, let’s get after them. We don’t want any other bounty hunters to get their hooves on them.”

Stealthily the twin ponies made their way across the fields towards the now distant time travellers.


As the group of time travellers cleared the side of the castle, they came upon a large circle of industrious ponies working on a section of the gardens. Some were painting out lines on an open area of the lawns, some were erecting goal posts and still others were placing rows of benches and other seating around the area. A stage of some kind had already been set up at one end of the area. The place was a hive of activity but still a few ponies stopped in their tracks and turned to gawk at Nyssa, who was still floating in the air.

“Doctor,” said Nyssa sounding nervous, “I don’t like this, why are they all staring at me?”

“Well, I’ve visited this world several times, and I’ve not seen any pony with wings like yours. I would imagine you’re somewhat of a rarity. But they just seem interested, not hostile. Just try to enjoy the attention,” replied the Doctor.

“Yeh,” added Tegan, sounding rather bitter, “They might treat you like a rock star or something.”

Trying to avoid the gazes directed at her, Nyssa dropped to the ground and folded up her wings again, falling into position behind the Doctor and Tegan.

The Doctor once again took out the tracker and scanned the area. “The shard appears to be on the stage,” he said, “Or I suppose it could be the stage. In any case we should take a look.”

As the group trotted towards the stage, they continued to get a few strange looks, but no one stopped them. Off to one side was a podium containing a large silver cup flanked by two white coated pegasi. It was to this trophy that the Doctor followed the trackers signal. He reached out for it but one of the pegasus stopped him with her wing.

“Hey, Hey, Hey. You can look but you can’t touch,” announced the guard.

“Couldn’t I just examine it in a bit more detail? It’s a very fine trophy.”

“If you want to get a closer look you’ll need to win it,” said the other with a laugh.

“Win it? What's it awarded for?” asked the Doctor.

“Where have you been? This is for the first Castle hoofball league, everyone’s been talking about it.”

“Hoofball? Not my usual game of choice, but I suppose I could give it a go.”

“You play football? I mean hoofball,” said Tegan. “You’d end up being spread all over the pitch if it’s anything like Aussie rules.”

“Tegan,” said the Doctor testily, “I’m actually quite a good athlete, you know. I prefer the elegance of Cricket but it’s not my only talent.”

“Well, it’s too late for you to just join now,” said one of the guards. “This is the final after all, it’s the Sparks versus the Misfits. If you get a team together maybe you could enter next year.”

“Thank you for your help.” The Doctor bowed and moved away from the trophy. “I’m fairly sure that cup is the shard,” he whispered to his companions. “If one of you can distract the guards I might be able to get my hooves on it.”

“Hey, are you Doctor?” called a large pegasus with a dark blue coat who was pushing through a crowd of other ponies towards them.

“Who’s that?” asked Tegan

“I don’t know, I don’t think I’ve seen him before. Although he obviously knows of me.”

“You Doctor?” repeated the pegasus. The Doctor nodded cautiously. “Great, I thought you might have gotten lost. I’m Frolicsome Meadowlark, acting captain of the Misfits, ready for the game?”

Tegan looked up the large muscular Pegasus in front to her. “Frolicsome Meadowlark?” she whispered to Nyssa in disbelief.

“I think it is a very nice name,” said Nyssa with a giggle.

Ignoring them, the Doctor looked at the blue pegasus. “You were expecting me?” he asked.

“Yeh, got your letter today, arrived special delivery just now, the post mare’s eyes were a bit odd,” he said distractedly. He shook himself, “It said you’d just started here and you wanted to join up. With Moonlight laid up we need a fifth player and your recommendations from Trottingham are impressive. Your arrival was very lucky.”

“How very convenient,” mumbled the Doctor. “A bit too convenient for my liking.”

“Pardon?”

“Nothing. I’d be honoured to join your team. What can you tell me about the game we’ll be playing?”

“It’s Trottingham rules give or take, so that shouldn’t be a problem for you. There’s a few local changes, we have five a side rather than the normal seven, unicorns can’t use magic but Pegasus can fly, but not above twice head height. You should pick up anything else as we go along.”

“Oh, I don’t think that flying limit will be a problem,” said Tegan with a grin.

Frolicsome raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not the strongest of flyers,” admitted the Doctor.

“It shouldn’t be that much of a problem, most of the game is on the ground. I’ll show you the rest of the team, we’ve got an hour until kick off.”

“I’ve brought some friends with me, is that okay?” The Doctor gestured at Tegan and Nyssa.

“Of course, they can watch the game if they can find room. It looks like it’s going to be packed. Anyway, welcome to the Misfits, Doctor.”

“The Misfits?”

“Yeh, it’s the team’s name,” chatted the pegasus as he lead the time travellers away from the pitch. “You see, when the league was set up, most of the teams were all from specific areas of the castle. The guards fielded a few teams, the kitchens, administration, servants to particular nobles, etcetera. We were those left over when the other teams formed so we called ourselves the Misfits. I’ll introduce you to the rest of the team.”

Unnoticed by them, Hunter and Trapper continued to follow the group at a distance.


The rest of the Misfits were warming up in a small courtyard not far from where the match was being held. The three other team members were listlessly kicking a ball between each other while a small group of ponies watched. As the Doctor and Frolicsome walked over, a peach coated blue maned pegasus stallion with a cast on one leg hobbled up to them, staring at the Doctor.

“Is this is my replacement then?” asked the stallion angrily.

“Don’t be like that Moonie,” said Frolicsome placatingly. “You know you can’t play with that busted leg, but we still have a chance to win.”

“I know,” sighed the peach pony, “but it’s so frustrating.” He stamped with his uninjured hoof. “I helped get us here but now I just have to watch.”

“I thought you liked to watch me get all sweaty,” mumbled Frolicsome, slapping the other stallion on the rump.

“Not in front of everypony, Larky,” he hissed, his blush turning him purple.

“This is my partner and team captain, Moonlight Smiles,” said Frolicsome with a smile. “You’re standing in for him and you’ve got some big shoes to fill.” He gave a loud whistle and the rest of the team stopped their game and walked over. “Right gang, this is the new guy, he’s called Doctor, a personal physician who just started here, so if you want to get hurt,” he glanced at Moonlight who glared back, “now’s the time to do it.” The rest of the team gave a laugh.

“Okay,” continued Frolicsome. “This here is Blooming Rose.” He indicated an earth pony mare larger than many stallions. Her coat was brown and her curly mane was a burnt orange in colour. “She works in the gardens. She’s our striker, and an excellent dribbler if you can get the ball to her few can get it away from her. She’s got a kick like a mule as well.”

“He’s actually not being speciesist, you know,” said Rose cheerfully, in a surprisingly high pitched voice. “My father was a donkey.”

“And this is Gourmet Meal,” continued the stallion, pointing at a young unicorn mare with a dark green coat and a blue and white striped mane. “She works in the kitchens. She’s very quick on her hooves.”

“Like all the best chefs, I come from Cavallia,” she said with a heavy Italian-sounding accent.

“Shame you only wash the dishes then, isn’t it?” teased the last member of the team, a grim middle aged unicorn stallion with a yellow coat and short cut orange mane.

Gourmet blushed and looked at the floor. “Only for the moment,” she mumbled.

“And this cheerful soul is the misnamed Smiling Bandit, our goalie,” said Frolicsome, glaring at the stallion.

“Worked here as a herald, thirty years colt and stallion. Some of the stories I could tell you, why I remember, it must be twenty years ago now...”

“We should get back to practise,” said Frolicsome hurriedly before Bandit could start his story. “The kick-off is in less than an hour now. We better show Doctor what we can do and vice versa.”

The team spent the following hour kicking the ball around their rudimentary pitch. As Frolicsome had noted, Rose was indeed very hard to tackle once she got the ball, but she was rather slow. And her kick could move the ball across half the pitch, but she was lucky to hit the right side of the pitch with it. Gourmet was lightning fast on her hooves but was panting for breath after the warm up session. Bandit proved a very solid goalie but tended to become distracted, shouting advice to the other players rather than paying attention to what was going on around him. Frolicsome himself proved to be very mobile, using his wings to make great arching leaps over the other players to get into position, but often landed badly knocking himself out of position. The Doctor was still learning the strengths and weaknesses of his currently body. It proved to be a jack of all trades but a master of none - he was quick on his hooves but not exceptional, a nimble runner but not the best and a good shot but lacked power.

Moonlight, who was acting as trainer, was not impressed with the team’s performance. “We’ll need to be better than this against the Sparks,” he growled.

“The who?” asked the Doctor.

“Our opponents, the Sparkling Lights. They’re mostly pages working for Viceroy Night Light.”

“Night Light, that sounds familiar. I think I’ve met his son.”

“Yeh, everyone knows Captain Shining Armour since the wedding.”

“Captain? When I met him he was a Lieutenant. I’m glad to hear he’s gone up in the world, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.”

“This is no time to be name dropping. We’d better make our way to the pitch now, it’s almost time to start the game.”

“Ok, everybody,” said Moonlight, “Gather round.” The team formed a rough circle around him. “I’m sorry I can’t be with you on the pitch today, but if you give it your utmost you can win this. Not what you’ve shown me so far, your very best! It’s been a hard season, no one thought we would make it this far. No one thought that we’d be one match away from winning the league. We were the players no one else wanted, the ones left over when the others formed their teams, we were the misfits. We’ll I don’t know about you but today win or lose, I’m proud to be a Misfit. Say it with me.”

“I’m proud to be a Misfit,” mumbled the team, Rose’s voice rising above the others.

“Louder,” demanded Moonlight.

“I’m proud to be a Misfit,” repeated the team clearer this time.

Moonlight held out his hoof and the rest of the team put their hooves to it.

“I’m proud to be a Misfit!” yelled the team.

“Good, now let’s go out there and win this thing!”


By the time the team, followed by a small crowd of supporters, made it back to the pitch, the preparations had been completed. The playing area had been neatly marked off and several rows of seating had been placed around the outside. Off to one side, a large marquee tent had been erected and filled with tables covered in food. Several hundred ponies were packed in and around the pitch area, and the air above was thick with pegasi. Many of the fans were carrying banners proclaiming their support for one team or another. There was a buzz of excitement through the crowd as the Misfits approached. A gap opened up in the crowd, allowing the team to make their way to the pitch. As they passed, many ponies reached out to them and shouted encouragement.

Once on the pitch, the Doctor got his first look at the opposition. They were made up of young earth pony and unicorn mares with a single older pegasus stallion.

“Anything I should know about them?” yelled the Doctor to Frolicsome over the sound of the crowd.

“That’s Paperweight, their captain,” replied the pegasus, pointing at a unicorn with a bright orange coat and a pink mane. “She more or less set up the league single hoofed, she’s going to go far. They say Night Light’s thinking of taking her on as his personal assistant. She’s also a very fast striker. That’s her second, Night Vision,” he pointed at an earth pony with a dark blue coat and aquamarine mane, “she’s very good at headers.”

The Doctor stared at Night Vision who seemed to be staring back at him intently. He couldn’t put his hoof on it but something seemed to be off about her. She almost seemed familiar.

“Those two are Inkwell and Sky Master,” he indicated a unicorn with a black coat and peach mane and a pegasus with a grey coat and mane, “Rumour says he’s ‘dipping his quill’ in her. It wouldn’t surprise me they work together really well, it’s like they can read each other’s minds. And finally that’s Orchid Moon, she’s their goalie.” He pointed at an earth pony with a purple coat and green mane.

The Doctor looked through the crowds and caught sight of his companions. Nyssa had once again taken to the wing, getting looks of astonishment from the crowd around her, while Tegan had shoved herself to the front of the crowd. He waved at both of them.

Then something else caught his attention. Outside the pitch, a strange parade of ponies was making its way to the podium. In the lead was a pink earth pony mare with excessively curly hair. She bounced along, her gravid belly almost colliding with the ground as she went. Attached to her tail by a leash was a full grown alligator, larger than many ponies, who trotted along behind her like a pet dog. Off to one side and keeping well away from the alligator, which would occasionally snap its toothless mouth at him, walked a rather stressed looking white unicorn stallion in a suit. The three of them made their way up onto the stage, although the mare required some help from the stallion to scramble to the top.

“Who’s that?” asked the Doctor pointing at the group.

To his surprise it was Bandit who replied, his gravelly voice sounding from behind the Doctors back. “That is the Viscount Prince Blueblood-Pie, the sanctimonious plot hole.”

“He’s sponsoring the league,” added Frolicsome. “He used to be the terror of the servants but I hear he’s gotten better over the last few years. Bandit used to work for him.”

“Never again,” stated the earth pony stallion. “Oh, since he’s gotten married he’s really changed,” sarcasm dripped off his words. “Now he’s a happily married sanctimonious plot hole. There’s no justice.”

Back on the stage the noble party had been joined by Paperweight. She gestured to the crowd and it started to quiet down. “Wow,” she said her voice amplified by magic, “I didn’t expect to see so many ponies here. It seemed like just yesterday that it was just a few of us kicking a ball around at break times. Now look at us, we have a whole organised league and a big shining trophy too.” She gestured at the cup. “Its been a hard couple of years, some bad things happened, but also a lot of good things. We’ve got a new princess now after all.“ The crowds response to this was mixed. Many scowled but a few gave ragged cheers. “And the night court is working better than it has for years, making things better for all of Equestria.” She continued, “Anyway, last night the nobles got to celebrate with their Gala so today we, the servants and staff, the ones that actually get things done,” a cheer went around the crowd, “get to have some fun, so I hope you all enjoy the match and the food that’s been provided. Without further ado I hand you over to our sponsor for a few words.” The orange unicorn lept off the stage and took her place with her team.

The pink mare waddled over to Paperweight’s position and began to speak. “Hey,” she yelled, “Ooooh, echo, echo. Hello everybody. I’m so super happy to see you all here today.” There was a cheer from the crowd. “I don’t know much about hoofball, well apart from the fact that you kick a ball with your hoof, that in the name, but I do know that once the game’s over you have a victory party for the winner and a commiseration party for the loser, so its two for one! Also me and Bluie are working on making our own team.” She patted her swollen belly and for a second a grimace passed over her face, and her husband seemed to materialise by her side to provide support. “Anyway,” she continued, “The quicker we get the game started the quicker I can hold the parties!” She turned to a small cannon next to her on the stage, which the Doctor hadn’t noticed earlier, and fired it. Instead of a cannon ball, a great cloud of tinsel was fired into the air and the sound of a whistle could be heard. “Let the games begin!” she yelled.

A hoofball was thrown onto the pitch from the sidelines by a zebra mare with a black and white striped shirt, which completely failed to match her own patterning. She glared at the pony on stage who had usurped her job. At the signal the two teams cautiously started to approach each other.


The game started slowly as the two sides tried to get a feel of each other’s strengths and weaknesses. The ball was passed backwards and forwards around the mid field. Inkwell tried to make a break down one wing but was stopped by Frolicsome, before passing the ball to Sky Master on the other flank who was in turn tackled by the Doctor, who quickly lost the ball to Night Vision who seemed to dog his every step. The stalemate was broken when Rose got her hooves on the ball and powered down the centre of the pitch; as promised, she managed to keep the ball despite several attempts to tackle her. She slammed the ball towards the goal and for once her shot was true. Orchid tried to knock the ball away but its force was too great, and both she and the ball fell back into the net.

One nil to the Misfits.

The early downturn in their fortunes seemed to galvanise the Sparkling Lights and the Misfits were forced onto the defensive. Again and again Inkwell managed to get her hooves on the ball and wherever she passed it to, Sky Master was already there. Paperweight seemed to be everywhere. Although Frolicsome and Gourmet tried their hardest, shot after shot was made at the goal - all deflected by Bandit’s skills. Eventually Paperweight got lucky and her kick managed to twist the ball around the goalie, the scores were equalised.

One all.

The ball was thrown back onto the pitch and Rose made a powerful long kick to the Doctor; however, it went wide and was intercepted in the air by Night Vision who had been following him like a shadow for the whole game. She headed the ball to Paperweight who rushed past the Misfits’ surprised defenders, and punted the ball straight into the goal.

Two one to the Sparkling Lights.

The pressure on the Misfits finally let off in the last few minutes of the first half. Gourmet found herself with the ball and rushed towards the opposition half of the pitch, with Paperweight rapidly closing on her. Looking around, she saw the Doctor still marked by Night Vision, while behind her Rose was trying to catch up, but the mule was far too slow and Frolicsome was blocked by Sky Master. Seeing no aid was forthcoming, the green unicorn poured on as much speed as she could and managed to barely outdistance her pursuer. The only thing between her and the goal now was Orchid Moon. The purple mare moved out of the goalmouth to block her. Gourmet feinted to the right, before twisting left around her opponent and kicking the ball towards the net. To her horror the ball flew into the crowd, well wide of the target. Exhausted, she sank to the ground in despair as the whistle was blown for half time.


“Ok ponies,” said Frolicsome, “that was a good first half.” The team and a few supporters were meeting off to one side of the pitch, while most of the fans were enjoying a calorie laden meal put on by the leagues sponsor.

“What are you talking about, Larkie?” growled Moonlight. “They were all over you - it’s a wonder you’re only down by one.”

“He’s right,” agreed Bandit. “I’m good but I can’t stop everything. You need to get the ball into their half, actually attack for a change. Gourmet was the only one even trying.”

Gourmet was leaning heavily on a bench, panting hard, and nodded at that, still too winded to talk.

“No,” said Frolicsome. “Gourmet, if you keep up that pace you’ll hurt yourself. You need to pick your moments better.”

“I suppose so,” agreed Moonlight with poor grace. “Rose, you did good with that goal. We need more like that.” The mule glowed with the praise. ”Doctor, you’re going to have to get away from Night Vision, she’s had you totally locked down for the first half.”

“Yeh Doctor, she was certainly keeping her eye on you there. Do you owe her money or something?” asked Tegan.

“No.” said the Doctor testily, “But there is something a little odd about her - almost familiar.”

“We’ll she’s certainly acting oddly, she’s normally a much more proactive player,” said Frolicsome. “Still, it seems to be working. You and I need to be able to support Rose and Gourmet more in the second half. Okay gang, go grab a bite and something to drink, I’ll see you back here in fifteen.”

Moonlight glared at his partner. “Make it ten, we need to run through some plays before the second half,” he yelled at the departing team.

The Doctor gestured for Tegan and Nyssa to come with him. “If you get a chance while everybody is distracted by the game, see if you can get your hooves on the cup,” he whispered.

“Not so sure your team’s going to win, Doctor?” asked Tegan.

“Let’s just say I’d like to hedge my bets. Now take this.” He unstrapped the tracker from his waist and passed it to Nyssa. “I’ve stored enough Krayton particles in there to convert the cup back to its natural form if you can get near it. That should make it easier to hide if you have to.”

“Of course, Doctor, we will see what we can do,” said Nyssa. She and Tegan set off into the crowd to position themselves near the podium.

Feeling rather parched after his efforts earlier, the Doctor decided to get a drink before the second half and made his way to the feast. The tables seemed to be mostly stacked high with cakes and other sugary goodies. ‘Hardly a balanced diet,’ he thought. Then something caught his eye: several sticks of celery that had been used to decorate one of the few vegetable dishes. He took one and, lacking a button hole, stuck one behind his ear. You could never be too careful about gasses in the Praxis range, after all.

He surveyed the area around him. Near the centre of the marquee, Gourmet was talking to Pinkie and waving a slice of cake around excitedly. Prince Blueblood-Pie was holding the alligator’s leash and looking rather nervous, as the reptile was staring at him slowly blinking one eye at a time. Off to one side Paperweight was talking to a grey mare.

“Doctor, we need to talk.” The Doctor spun around to find Night Vision standing there looking serious.

“Yes, you certainly seem to have been keeping your eye on me so far, haven’t you? Why is that I wonder?”

“I know you are not what you seem.”

“Really, I’m beginning to suspect the same of you, Miss Vision,” said the Doctor, sounding unsurprised.

“You will come with me,” she stated.

“I think I’d rather decline your kind invitation.” However the Doctor found his hooves leaving his control and instead followed Night Vision away from the crowds into a quiet corner of the gardens.

“It was not a request,” she stated.

“So I see. So what is it that you want to talk to me about?”

“Who are you, Doctor?” asked Night Vision without preamble. “And do you intend any harm to Equestria?”

“Ah, you must be Princess Luna then.”

The disguised alicorn looked somewhat taken aback. “How did you know?”

“Oh it was mostly a guess, but I’d heard a few things about you during my previous visits and I put two and two together. I’ve got to say playing hoofball incognito is not where I’d expect to find royalty. Anyway, I’d have thought Cheerilee would have told you about me.”

“She did, or rather she told Trixie who told me. But I’d rather hear your story first hoof.”

“Trixie? The filly from the theatre. It is a small world,” he said thoughtfully.

“She is my personal student now, or rather she was. I’d say she’s graduated with flying colours by now, she’s even taught me a thing or two.” She smiled fondly for a moment, then snapped back to the present. “She blames you for her grandfather's death, you know.”

The Doctor looked crestfallen. “Yes, I suppose in a way that was my fault. If I’d acted faster I might have saved him.”

“Quartermoon was always stubborn. If only he’d told me earlier, I might have been able to do something for his condition. If only I hadn’t left that night.”

“You were there?” asked the Doctor. Suddenly he smacked his head with a hoof, “Of course, Moonbeam! That was you?”

“I have worn many masks over the years. As apparently have you, Doctor. Every time you visit you look different but every time somepony suffers... Quartermoon, that research team, Bon Bon, Nocturne. Do you do more good than bad?” asked Luna, angrily pacing back and forth.

“I ask myself that question all the time, even in my own universe,” said the Doctor looking down at the ground. “Death and disaster follow me wherever I go, but I have to believe that I produce a net good. If I didn’t I think I’d go mad. In this universe I don’t know, I placed it all in danger with my carelessness when I broke its shield.”

“You admit that?”

“Of course I do, it’s the truth. But I am doing all that I can to fix my mistake and will keep trying as long as I am able.” He looked up and met Luna’s gaze. “Haven't you ever made a mistake?”

Luna recoiled as if she had been slapped. She stared hard at the Doctor before dropping her gaze. “Yes,” she said, “many. But this is my world and it’s my responsibility to protect it and if necessary I will remove you from it. After all, I remember what you did to my sister.”

“Your sister? I don’t think I’ve met her.”

“Maybe your memory is hazy. It was over a thousand years ago now. Your little discussion of genocide and when it’s necessary?” she hissed.

“Spoilers!” cried the Doctor.

“What!”

“I haven’t meet your sister... yet. You are talking about things that happen in my personal future, and I’d rather you didn’t. Too much future knowledge always leads to trouble.”

“So you do travel in time then? That is rare, powerful and dangerous magic. You have yet to meet my sister.” She thought for a moment. “So if I stopped you now, things might go differently? I sometimes think Corona was born on the night Celestia met you. I can stop you and I might save her and the whole world from that.” She turned to the Doctor, eyes glowing white, and slowly her disguise slipped away to reveal the alicorn of the night in her dark glory.

The Doctor backed away from the enraged monarch but tripped over a bench and fell to the ground. “I am sorry for anything I may do to you and your family but if you kill me then you may be dooming your own world. Even apart from the tremendous paradox it would create, the barrier between our worlds is still weak. At least let me see if there's any way I can let you locate and replace the shards. Please give your world a chance,” he pleaded.

“You would do that?” asked Luna, sounding surprised.

“I told you it was my responsibility. I need to try and fix my mistake, as well as apparently the mistakes I will make in the future.”

Luna deflated, her eyes returning to their normal blue. “I fear that I am placing blame on the wrong pony,” she sighed. “Celestia was already walking her path and had been for many years when you met her. I doubt your words changed things. Only I could have done that and I was wallowing in self-pity. Your future self gave me hope when I felt I had none - maybe you actually saved me. Still it is a fool’s wish to change that which has already been done. At least I have my sister back now, even if it took so very very long.” She turned back to the Doctor. “I still do not truly trust you, Doctor, but I do not think you deserve destruction. We will talk more of this later.” She donned her magical disguise again, returning to Night Visions form. “Until then I have a game to win.” She turned from the Doctor. “By the way, where is the shard you seek this time?”

“It’s the league cup.”

“So close all this time and I didn’t sense it?” she sounded thoughtful.

“The shards are part of your universe at the most basic level. They don’t appear at all out of the ordinary to you. They are almost undetectable by anyone from your universe.”

“We will see if that is truly correct after the match, but until then I will keep my eye on you.” With that she left leaving the Doctor to pick himself up and make his way back to his team.


By the time the Doctor got back to his team the game was due to restart.

“Where did you get to?” asked Frolicsome, hustling him towards the pitch. “You missed Moonlight’s pep talk, you’re going to have to make your own pep now.”

“I was talking to, umm, Night Vision and lost track of time.”

“You can marry her once the game’s over for all I care. Just get out there and play hoofball.”

The now fed crowd were just as jubilant as they had been; around the pitch banners waved and fans roared. The referee, keen to carry out her role this time, positioned herself between the two teams with her whistle in her mouth. With a single peep the second half began.


As the game began, Tegan and Nyssa were cautiously advancing on the trophy. As the Doctor had predicted the guards were distracted by the beginning of the game.

“I do not know if I agree with this,” said Nyssa, looking nervous.

“Oh don’t be such a wet blanket,” said Tegan. “It’s for the good of two universes.”

“But it is stealing.”

“Didn’t you ever go scrumping on Traken?”

“Scrumping?”

“Taking fruit from farms.”

“Why would I do that? The gardeners provided any fruit I would need.”

“Because it was fun, and when you were a kid it felt dangerous. You can be such a stick in the mud sometimes. Look, if you have a problem with this just wait here and distract the guards while I nab the cup. Shake those wings of yours, everyone seems to appreciate them,” said Tegan, somewhat cattily, as she began to casually make her way towards the trophy.

Nyssa was intent on watching Tegan’s progress so she was surprised when she was addressed by a nearby stallion. “Hi,” he said, “You’re a Flutterpony right?” he asked genially.

“Um, yes I suppose you could call me that.”

“Wow,” said the brown coated earth pony, “I thought all you guys were all extinct. Where are you from?”

“Traken,” she answered automatically.

“Haven't heard of it. Is that off continent?”

“It is a very long way away.”

“Look, I’ve got a friend who would be very interested in meeting you, why don’t you come with me?” He put a leg around Nyssa’s neck and began to lead her back towards the castle.

“I’m sorry but I am meeting my friends here,” said Nyssa, struggling against his grip. “Please let go of me.”

“It wasn’t a request, I’m afraid.” Nyssa felt a metal blade bite into her neck. “Now don’t scream,” he hissed all trace of friendliness evaporating, “or do anything foolish or you’ll never make another noise again. You’re worth a lot to me alive but I can probably make a profit off your corpse as well.”

From across the field Tegan was only a few steps away from the trophy when she noticed Nyssa being led away by a strange stallion. For a moment she was split between her goal and her friend but then she started galloping towards the pink flutterpony. “Hey you!” she yelled but her cries were lost in the roar of the crowd. She saw her friend and her ponynapper disappear around the side of one of the castle’s buttresses and galloped off after them, ignoring the cup.

It took Tegan several minutes of desperate running to catch up with the pair. By the time she had sight of them Hunter had dropped all pretense of leading Nyssa away and was shoving her towards a small door in the side of the castle. Without thinking, Tegan charged straight at the brown stallion, body checking him and knocking him away from her friend. To her surprise he flew quite some distance, before crashing into the wall and dropping to the ground, temporarily dazed. “I guess there is something to this earth pony strength thing,” she muttered to herself, then yelled, “Nyssa, run!”

The flutterpony was already ahead of her, and had spread her wings and leapt into the sky. Suddenly her progress was checked as a net of greenish energy closed around her, trapping her gossamer wings and making her fall heavily to the ground to lie still. The energy web was connected to the horn of another brown stallion who had just stepped out of the door in the castle. His earth pony brother had gotten to his hooves and was beginning to close on Tegan, an angry look on his face.

For a moment Tegan was caught between making sure her friend was alright and protecting herself and in that moment the unicorn cast a further spell and she found herself wrapped in green ropes and lifted into the air. She struggled but could not get free. She was trapped.


The second half of the game started very differently to the first. Perhaps energised by the pep talk the Doctor had missed, the Misfits threw themselves onto the offensive. Gourmet had recovered some of her strength during half time and seemed to be everywhere. She drove the ball down the pitch and straight to Rose, who took a shot that Orchid Moon only just managed to block. The same pattern was repeated again and then for a third time. On the fourth shot the goalie only just managed to deflect the shot. The ball flew straight to the Doctor, who had for once managed to escape his shadow, and he gave the ball a quick tap rolling it into the goal.

Two all.

The next few minutes were full of frantic midfield action, with both teams trying to get control of the game. However, after her electric start, Gourmet was starting to lag again, while Paperweight still seemed full of beans. The Sparking Lights managed to break through, and Sky Master took a long distance shot at the goal which was easily blocked by Bandit. The ball was kicked back to the midfield, but again and again the Lights broke through and began to cluster around the goal, taking shot after shot.

“Get them away!” yelled Bandit, “Here, I’ll show you how it’s done.”

To everypony’s astonishment, instead of throwing the ball back into play, the goalie started to dribble the ball down the pitch past the astonished opposition. They were slow to react, but soon started to run after the old stallion - but he had too much of a lead. The crowd went quiet for a moment, but then started to yell encouragement. Within moments Bandit was within striking distance of the opposing goal with only Orchid Moon between him and victory. She came out to meet him, but he deftly faked to one side before circling around her and kicking the ball into the goal. The crowd’s cries were almost deafening in intensity.

“That’s how you play hoofball,” he yelled to his teammates panting hard. He waved at a small group of yellow unicorn foals of various ages near the pitch holding a banner aloft which read ‘Our Dad’s a Misfit’. “I’ve got to show my kids now it’s done,” he muttered.

Three two to the Misfits.

Revitalised by their goalies surprising actions, the Misfits once again threw themselves onto the offensive and made several more unsuccessful attempts at a goal. Suddenly Night Vision broke away from the Doctor, and rushed with the ball towards the Misfits’ end. She ran down the pitch, pursued by the opposition, and took a shot at goal which was deflected into the air by Bandit. Unperturbed, Night Vision put herself in the ball’s path. Paperweight, who had been unnoticed until now, leapt onto her back and used the disguised alicorn as a trampoline to fly into the air, gliding past a surprised Frolicsome who had moved to intercept. She flipped upside down and struck the ball with her rear hooves, sending it rocketing towards the goal, over the startled Bandit’s head and into the net.

In the crowd, a grey earth pony mare leapt up and down yelling with joy. She noticed the ponies around her staring and shrunk away, straightening her bow tie. Paperweight waved at her with a wide grin as the rest of her team gathered around to celebrate her hat trick.

“Who is that mare?” the Doctor asked Frolicsome.

“Paperweight’s mare friend. She’s a musician, I think,” came the reply.

Three all.

For several minutes the game flowed back of forth, first the Sparking Lights having the upper hoof, then the Misfits, then the Lights again. Time was ticking away and it looked like the game might go to extra time. Then Sky Master managed to pluck the ball from the air and dodge past Frolicsome who had been marking him. The two of them powered down the wing in long loping strides. Then the grey stallion smashed the ball across the goalmouth to where Inkwell had been waiting and she headed the ball straight in.

Four three to the Sparking lights.

“Come on ponies,” yelled Frolicsome as the team got back into position. “We’ve only got a few minutes left. Everypony try to get the ball to Rose. Rose, when you get it, just head straight down the centre and score, I know you can do it.”

“Okay, Cap,” replied the mule.

“Let’s do this!”

The ball was thrown back into play and Paperweight was the first to lay a hoof on it, but was quickly tackled by the by now exhausted Gourmet, who passed it off to the Doctor before collapsing to the ground. Looking around, he saw that Rose was blocked by both Sky Master and Inkwell and began to dribble down the pitch hoping for an opening. Night Vision rushed in to take the ball off of him, but before she could it was kicked to Frolicsome who saw an opening and passed it to Rose. The Mule started to power down the field towards the enemy goal, and the opposing team closed in on her - first Inkwell, then Sky Master and finally Paperweight attempted to tackle her but she avoided each one of them. Finally she reached the goal and spun around, kicking the ball at her target with both rear hooves sending it flying at blistering speed. Orchid hurled herself at the ball, wrapping her whole body around it. Such was the force that she was pushed several hoofs back across the ground and came to a stop only a few inches shy of the goal line. Cautiously the purple mare opened her eyes and surveyed the area, seemingly surprised she had stopped the goal. Then the final whistle was blown.

The Misfits had lost.


The two brown stallions, whom Tegan had learned were called Hunter and Trapper, had dragged the two captured mares into part of the castle. Judging by the layer of dust that covered most of the area, is seemed that it wasn’t currently in use and hadn’t been for quite some time. The bounty hunters had bundled Nyssa and Tegan into a long forgotten room and locked them in. From the snatches of their conversation that Tegan could make out through the door, they planned to sell Nyssa to someone called Vicereine as an exhibition in her collection. She didn’t know what they planned to do to her, but she wasn’t keen to find out.

The room the two time travellers had been imprisoned in was cluttered with junk. Off to one side, a sheet-covered king sized bed sat; there were also several empty wardrobes against one wall and for some reason a pile of dolls taller than a pony sat mouldering in the centre of the room. Apart from the locked door, the only other exit from the room was a window high up on one wall. It was boarded up, but there was enough space between the planks for a shaft of light to break through providing illumination.

Although high, the window would easily be in reach of a flying pony, so in order to prevent their escape Trapper had maintained his spell around Nyssa. The glowing green net was wrapped around her preventing her from lifting off or even walking around. Tegan had spent most of the last hour trying to free her friend from her bonds; although the magic did not unduly restrict its captive it resisted all Tegan’s attempts to break them. Finally she was forced to give up.

“It’s no good, Nyssa, I can’t shift it,” said Tegan her ears drooping.

“Then you are going to have to escape and get help,” said the flutterpony calmly.

“But how? I’m not like you or the Doctor, I can’t just fly out the window. I’m just a useless earth pony.”

“Tegan, all the time we’ve been here you have been complaining about our wings. I am sorry but I did not choose to be made this way.”

Tegan sighed, “It’s not your fault. It’s just... I always wanted to fly. There was no way I was ever going to be a pilot, so a stewardess was the closest I could get. Now we came here, and I could fly - not just in a plane but with my own wings - and I didn’t get any. It’s just not fair.”

“You might not be able to fly, but the Doctor said that earth ponies are strong and tough. Maybe you can climb up there.” She indicated the window.

Tegan looked doubtfully up at the window high above her. “I don’t think that’s gonna work. Hooves aren't exactly made for climbing, you know.”

“As the Doctor say’s brave heart Tegan. Look around, maybe there is something you can use to help you.”

Tegan ran a quick inventory of the room. Nothing seemed useful in escaping; the only thing of interest was an iron poker under the bed. It would make a useful weapon but she doubted she could overcome both stallions with it. Sitting on the bed, she felt the silk sheets move beneath her. Then the glimmer of an idea came to her.

“I think I’ve got a plan, Nyssa,” Tegan said, stripping the sheets from the bed and struggling to tear them into strips, which she knotted into a crude rope. The addition of the poker to one end of the rope formed a workable grappling hook. “Wish me luck,” she said. Grasping part of the hook in her mouth, she hurled it towards the window, but it fell far short and dropped to the ground with a dull thud.

Trying again, Tegan twirled the rope a little before releasing it. This time her aim was better and the poker struck the boards with a loud thud before falling to the ground. The room’s occupants held their breaths, fearing the sound would alert their captors. However, when nothing happened for several minutes Tegan decided to try again. Twirling her head until she began to feel dizzy, the earth pony built up momentum and released the rope again. This time the poker sailed true and struck the gap between the boards, lodging itself tightly in place. She gave the rope a tug; it seemed solid.

“Be careful,” warned Nyssa, looking on helplessly.

Tegan wrapped the rope around one leg and pulled herself up before wrapping her next leg and continuing her progress. By the time she reached the window, she was panting and sweating. She lodged herself on the window seal and kicked at the timber with one of her rear legs, again and again, until the wood splintered under the force. Taking a deep breath, the orange pony wriggled out of the window. She caught herself on the sharp edges of the planks but suffered no serious damage. Looking down, she was glad to see that the ground was only a few feet away - their cell must have been partially underground. She stuck her head back into the castle. “I’ll get the help and be back here before you know it, Nyssa,” she said.

The captive pony nodded in understanding. “Do not worry, I am not going anywhere,” she replied, hoping her words were going to be true.

Glancing once more at her companion, Tegan dropped to the ground and tried to figure out where she was.


The crowd had poured onto the pitch, and everywhere were ponies hugging and yelling at each other. Of to one side, Inkwell and Sky Master were embracing. Paperweight zipped from pony to pony, shaking hooves with each of the opposition team. “Good game, hope you can make it next year,” she said as she passed the Doctor.

As the chaos started to die down, the Misfits took the opportunity to gather together with Moonlight.

“Well we lost,” said Bandit.

“Come on cheer up,” said Moonlight. “We almost won.”

“Almost doesn't count. We still lost.”

“No,” muttered Moonlight, “No! We didn’t lose!” he said louder, “We came second!” He grinned. “There were over a dozen teams in this league and we were the players they didn’t want and we came second. That’s amazing. Rose, that first goal was incredible. Bandit, that was the first time I’ve ever seen a goalie score. Gourmet, you gave it your all for the whole match, I couldn’t ask for anything more. Doctor, Night Vision was sticking to you like glue and you still scored. Larkie, you had the hardest job of all, you had to put up to me while I was being a misery guts. I’m sorry. I am so very very proud to be a Misfit.” Once again the team touched hooves. “And I hope to see you all again next year, that will be our year. Now let’s go and have some fun.”

Suddenly a cry of panic broke over the roar of the crowd. “Somepony get a doctor!” At the sound of his name, the Doctor’s head snapped towards the stage. The sound had come from Prince Blueblood-Pie, who was standing over the prone form of his wife.

“Look like it’s time for you to be a hero, Doctor,” called Frolicsome. He grabbed the Time Lord and flapped his wings, propelling both of them into the air. Instinctively the Doctor’s wings shot out, and the two of the swooped towards the stage, landing lightly in front of the panicking noble.

The white stallion turned towards the new arrivals. “My wife’s having our foal, help her!” he commanded.

“I’m not really that sort of doctor,” said the Doctor.

“You will help her now!” commanded Blueblood, his eyes blazing. “And if anything happens to my wife or child, I’ll, I’ll...” he seemed to deflate and started to shake. “Please... please...” he begged, staring into the Doctor’s eyes. “Please do something, I’ll give you anything, just make sure they're safe, please!” Tears started to drip from his eyes.

Bandit appeared behind the noble and rested a hoof on his shoulder comfortingly, “Relax lad,” he said to everyponies surprise, “it’ll be alright.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” said the Doctor, rolling up his sleeves and trying to remember what he knew of equine anatomy.

Pinkie gave a groan and Blueblood rushed to her side, taking her hoof in his own. “Don’t worry, the Doctor’s here, everything’s going to be all right.” He tried to hide the panic in his voice, to be strong for his wife.

“It hurts,” mumbled Pinkie, her voice lacking its normal joyful tone. “I think something’s wrong.”

The Doctor put his hoof on Pinkie’s abdomen and tried to feel what was going on inside. “I’ll need something to sterilize my hooves with, soap and water!” he shouted. Looking around, he saw that Frolicsome and a few other guards were keeping the lollygagging crowd away, while off to one side Night Vision had made her way into the circle and was standing, quietly surveying the scene.

“Let me through,” yelled Gourmet, pushing past Frolicsome. Her horn glowed and the Doctor felt a burning sensation on his hooves. “It’s a spell used for disinfection before we handle food in the kitchens. I guess it’ll work for a foal in a pinch.”

Nodding his thanks, the Doctor steeled himself and got to work. It had been quite some time since he’d had to try to deliver a foal; his second incarnation, he’d helped a vet - Heriot, he thought the man’s name had been - hopefully it was like riding a bicycle. Feeling around, he found the foal. It seemed to be positioned correctly; this was hopefully going to be easy.

Before he could investigate further, the child was already crowning, eager to be born. He ordered Pinkie to push and within a few minutes the child had entered the world without a hitch.

“Congratulations,” the Doctor announced, “it’s a filly.” He passed the pale pink form to its mother.

“Who’s my little Sweetie then?” asked Pinkie as she began to lick her child, eliciting a whinny from the earth pony foal.

“She’s so beautiful,” said Blueblood in wonder, liquid pride in his eyes. He pulled himself together. “But weren't we going to name her following my family's tradition?”

“Oh, if you’re going to be a spoilsport then, but I get to name our next one. Everyone,” she announced, “say hello to Rani Blueblood-Pie.”

“Rani?” asked the Doctor looking worried.

“It’s what they call the princesses in Chenneigh,” explained Blueblood, resting a hoof on his wife's belly and moving it in small circles. “Doctor...” he looked puzzled. “I think something’s wrong.”

The Doctor rested a hoof on Pinkie and felt another, unmoving, form within. “Oh no,” he gasped, “twins!”. Once again the Doctor gently felt around inside the pink mare and found the form of a second foal. This one was positioned wrongly, facing into its mother. His hearts sank as he made out the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck.

“What’s wrong?” demanded Pinkie, fear in her voice as she clutched her newborn daughter to her.

“Nothing,” lied the Doctor, “I just need you to lie back and push again when I say.” He gently tried to reposition the foal inside its now anxious mother without hurting her, but the child would not move. Out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of Night Vision looking grim. He thought he saw a purple glow play around her head and the child seemed to shift in his grasp. He nodded gratefully towards the disguised princess and started to guide the process, correcting the foal’s position and unwrapping the cord from around it.

“Ok, Pinkie, I need you to push really hard now.” With a scream the mare complied and the limp form of her second child exited her womb. Unlike his sister, who was now struggling to get to her feet without success, the other foal - a light brown unicorn with matted tufts of blond mane - was unmoving.

“Why isn’t he moving, Doctor?” asked Pinkie. Then the situation caught up with her. “NO! NOOOOO!!!!!” she screamed, trying to get to her hooves. “Please, do something, anything, please!” She buried her face in Prince’s neck as she sobbed, and he rocked her backwards and forwards, whispering into her ear and cradling their surviving child between them. Not recognising what was happening, the foal complained at their treatment of her, adding her cries to those of her parents.

With weary desperation, the Doctor rested one hoof on the dead foal’s neck and to his astonishment felt a tiny flicker of life. Thinking quickly, he unfurled a wing and used one of his feathers to clear out the little creature’s mouth. Taking a deep breath, he closed his muzzle around the foal’s and gently exhaled into the foal’s lungs. Glancing at the foal’s chest, he saw a faint blue aura surrounding it and pulsing with a gentle beat. Despite his efforts the foal gave no response, so he repeated the exercise again and again. “Come on,” he muttered. “Please, just for once let me live up to my name.”

“Stop that,” cried Blueblood angrily. “Show my son’s,” there was a catch in his voice, “body some respect!” He reached over to grab the doctor when suddenly the small form took a shuddering breath by itself, and spat out a glob of mucus before giving out a cry.

The Doctor gave out a long sigh as he passed the child to its mother. Colour was starting to return to the colt’s form. ‘Its things like this that make it all worthwhile,’ he thought. ‘Every Dalek, every Cyberman, every power mad tyrant together isn’t as bad and this one moment is good. I think I need more days like this.’

“Oh thank you! Thank you!” burbled Pinkie as she grasped her child in her forehooves, tears flowing down her cheeks. Her daughter had made her way to her hooves and was sniffing her brother curiously.

By now medics had arrived from the castle and started to fuss over the mother and children, preparing to bear the three of them away to the facilities in the castle. “Thank you, Doctor, thank you so much!” yelled Pinkie as she was carried away by a group of doctors. “I’ll name him after you, Doctor Blueblood-Pie. You better come to their birth party!” Then she was lost from sight.

Much of the crowd which had gathered followed the party back to the castle and most of the remaining ponies seemed to want to thank the Doctor, slapping him on the back and shouting encouragement. Somewhat dazed by the excitement, the Doctor just wandered for a while. When he was next fully aware he found himself alone apart from Night Vision.

“Now Doctor,” said Luna as she turned to the transformed Time Lord, “what am I to do with you?”

“We’ll I’d prefer if you just let me go,” he said cheerfully. “But if you do decide to punish me I’ll at least try and show you how to locate and transform shards to strengthen the universal barrier first. To be honest, at the moment I don’t think anything can make me feel down.”

Luna looked astonished for a moment then grinned. “New life tends to have that effect, doesn’t it. Even after thousands of years and so many new ponies, it’s still magical.” She turned more grim. “Still, you do admit that you are responsible for starting a disaster that threatens two universes, including the foals you just birthed. Do you not think you should be punished for that?”

The Doctor seemed to think for a moment. “You’re probably right, but what punishment can fit the crime?”

“That is the same question many ask about my sister, but she at least has the defence of madness. Whereas you are fully aware of your crime.”

“All that I can say is that I will do all that I can in my power to repair the damage I have done, as long as I am able.”

Luna stared at the white stallion for some time, thoughts unreadable. “Very well. I still do not trust you entirely, but you have proved that you care for the welfare of my subjects. I accept your penance for the moment.” The league cup blinked into existence next to them, encased in a blue aura. “Take this,” she said.

The Doctor examined the trophy before placing it on the ground. “Thank you very much. Won’t someone miss this, though?”

“I have created an exact duplicate to take its place, so it shouldn’t be missed. Now can you demonstrate how you convert it into its true form?”

“Of course.” The Doctor reached for the tracker at his waist, only to realise it wasn’t there. “Ahh, I gave the necessary equipment to one of my companions. She should be around here somewhere.” The Doctor scanned the field to see Tegan galloping towards him at full speed, followed by Paperweight and her grey marefriend.

“We found her near the pitch,” said Paperweight, indicating Tegan. “She said there was some sort of trouble and she was looking for you, Doctor. Good match by the way.”

“Doctor...” panted Tegan as she arrived. “Nyssa.... Kidnapped.... Castle....”

“What? Slow down.”

The orange mare tried to get her breathing under control. “Nyssa’s been kidnapped and locked up in the castle. These stallions want to sell her to somepony.”

The Doctor looked grim as he turned to Night Vision. “We have to do something! Can you help us?”

“Of course, Doctor, I can get the guard to... what’s that?” She pointed at what looked like a cloud of fireflies that had started to appear around the Doctor.

“I don’t know...” At first the Doctor looked puzzled, then a look of understanding and finally horror crossed his face. He held up a hoof to his face which could be seen to be sparking slightly. “The shielding,” he gasped. “It’s breaking down, but why so quickly? The three of us should have been safe for hours more...” His voice trailed off. “Stupid Doctor, stupid stupid Doctor,” he cursed, “of course, the three of us, I assumed the effect would split linearly between us but instead we get exponentially less protection as the number of recipients increase...”

“What does that mean, Doc?” asked Tegan, who was also starting to throw off sparks.

“The shield protecting us from the effects of this universe and visa versa is breaking down quicker than I expected. If it fails entirely there will be an enormous explosion, maybe enough to destroy a good chunk of Equestria. You need to get back to the TARDIS as quickly as possible, you’ll be safe there. I’ll get Nyssa and join you as soon as I can.”

“But Doctor..”

“No buts.” He handed her the key. “Once you’re safe inside the TARDIS, the power protecting you can be diverted to Nyssa and I. That should give us a few more minutes at least.”

Tegan looked uncertain for a moment then nodded and turned, rushing off towards the TARDIS.

The Doctor turned back to Luna. He was beginning to glow. “Now we have to get to my other companion as soon as possible.”

Luna concentrated for a moment. “I can detect her. Like you she is now throwing off massive amounts of magical interference - I don’t think I can accurately teleport within the castle grounds. We’ll have to travel via more conventional methods.” Dropping her disguise, she returned to her natural form and stretched her wings. Then she realised who was present and turned to Paperweight and Octavia, who were standing near her nonchalantly. “Oh,” she said, blushing, “this might be a surprise to you.”

“Not really,” said Paperweight. “I’ve known for years.”

“As have I, my lady,” said Octavia.

Luna’s jaw dropped. “How? Why?” she stuttered.

“My talent is noticing small details. Did you think I wouldn’t notice you wearing exactly the same hat to a diplomatic function that I’d bought Night Vision only a few days before?”

Luna was completely wrong hoofed. She hadn’t even considered that Paperweight knew her secret. “But you never said anything.”

“You never mentioned it so I assumed you wanted it to be a secret. I guess even princesses need a holiday sometimes.”

The Doctor cleared his throat, attracting Luna’s attention. The grass was beginning to smoulder around his hooves. She turned back to Paperweight. “We can discuss this later. Tell the guard what is happening.” The pink maned mare nodded and rushed off to carry out the order, Octavia following.

Luna leaped into the air and swooped towards the castle, while below her the Doctor galloped in her wake, his hoof prints leaving flaming patches in the ground.


Hunter was beginning to think he was in the wrong business. He and his brother had been holed up in the disused part of the castle for over an hour now and they had still not heard from their contact in the Vicereine’s office. He was getting increasingly worried - they could be discovered at any moment. His brother was calm as ever, but he was ready to cut their losses and run.

“Sit down,” said Trapper, looking up at his brother from his seat. “You’ll wear a hole in the floor if you keep pacing like that.”

Hunter was about to reply when there was suddenly a loud crash from the room they had stored their prize in. He rushed to the door and unlocked it, yanking the door open. He stood frozen to the spot at the sight in front of him. The flutterpony remained bound where they had left it - although it was now glowing brightly - and of her companion there was no trace. But that was not the shocking sight. The entire far wall was gone, smashed to rubble as if by a giant hoof. But, although surprising, that was still not the most shocking part of the scene. The sight that totally overloaded Hunter’s mind, taking him entirely past terror and out the other side, was Princess Luna herself, standing amongst the rubble and looking very, very, angry. The shadows around the room seemed to flock to her form and her eyes burned with a silver light. The Alicorn glanced at the trapped flutterpony and the magical net vanished. From somewhere behind him, he could hear his brother scream from the feedback of his spell being destroyed.

As if in a dream, Hunter carefully closed the door and locked it before turning to his brother. “I think we should leave,” his voice said from a long way away. He turned towards the door to the outside of the castle but stopped. It was smoking. A charred patch of wood formed a roughly pony shaped outline, before it burst in to reveal a pegasus wreathed in flame.

“I believe you have my companion?” said the burning pony sternly, a piece of vegetable matter behind his ear burst into flame.

At this Hunter’s brain entirely shut down and he collapsed to the ground.

It was the work of seconds for Luna to remove the door that the brown pony had just locked. Beyond it she found the Doctor had already entered, one of the ponynappers was unconscious on the ground while the other was backing away from her, his eyes wide. She concentrated for a moment, and he collapsed to the floor, joining his brother in temporary oblivion. When she had more time she could find out who hired them and deal with them, she would book no slavery in her kingdom! The flaming flutterpony rushed past her towards the Doctor - the heat being produced by the two of them was now enough to discomfort even Luna.

“Doctor,” Nyssa sobbed, “what’s happening, this hurts.”

The Doctor grimaced in pain. “I know. We likely only have a few minutes before the shielding falls entirely. Luna, are you sure you can’t teleport us?”

“I believe I may be able to accurately teleport one of you, given some concentration.” She began to examine the magical interference the two aliens were throwing off, looking for some pattern to the chaos she could lock on to.

“Then teleport Nyssa to the TARDIS, it’s a blue box about a kilometre to the east.” He gasped, “The trophy, I left it back at the pitch.”

“Don’t worry, Doctor,” said Luna, concentrating her magical might. “I’ll have somepony get it.” She sent a quick mental message to Paperweight, while at the same time scrying for the TARDIS and attempting to lock onto Nyssa for a teleport.

Seconds ticked by as the alicorn of the night concentrated on her tasks. The fiery aura surrounding Nyssa and the Doctor grew more intense as the last of the shield keeping them protected started to flake away. Nyssa whimpered in pain and hugged the Doctor, then suddenly vanished as Luna’s spell took effect.

The alicorn gave a gasp and swayed on her hooves, sweat dripping from her. That had been one of the most taxing spells she’d had to cast in years. “She should be safe, Doctor, but I won’t be able to do that again for several minutes.”

“You said the problem was accuracy,” hissed the Doctor through gritted teeth, an expression of agony on his features.

Luna nodded. “Yes, I could teleport you but you would most likely end up tens if not hundreds of miles from your target.”

“Then teleport me into space, or to the moon or sun. Somewhere where no one will get hurt.”

“What?” asked Luna in astonishment.

“I’m seconds away from causing what is probably the largest explosion this planet has ever seen. You need to get me away from anyone who could get hurt. Please, this is my fault,” he begged.

Suddenly inspiration stuck the alicorn of the night and she grabbed the Doctor, feeling her skin singe. She barrelled through the wall and out into the sunlight. She rocketed up until she could see the TARDIS. A small dot of a pony was running towards it. “I’m going to try one of my son-in-law’s tricks. Goodbye, Doctor, hopefully we will meet again.” With this she took the Doctor in her hooves and threw him with all her might at the TARDIS. His wings instinctively flicked open even as his feathers began to burn. He flashed through the air towards the time machine; a flick of one wing altered his course slightly and he passed through the open doors.

Paperweight was running as fast as her hooves would carry her, towards the blue hut which Luna had flashed a picture of into her mind. Gripped in her jaw was the league trophy. Luna had told her it was vital that she get it to the hut. She gasped and almost dropped the cup as a flaming shape flew past her, trailing smoke, and disappeared into the hut. A groaning sound started and the box began to become indistinct. Sensing she only had a few moments to complete her task and that she would never reach it in time, Paperweight dropped the cup on the ground, spun around, and kicked it with all of her might. The trophy shot through the air and passed cleanly through the TARDIS’s doors just as they closed and the vehicle faded away.

“GOAL!” yelled Paperweight, leaping into the air in joy.

A few moments later Luna joined her, shrinking back into her Night Vision form. She smiled at the celebrating mare. “Come on,” she said, “I think we deserve to collect the other version of that trophy now, we definitely won the match. Then I have to deal with whoever the bounty hunters were working for, I have my suspicions about that. And then I think we can talk about your future. I think Dame Paperweight has a nice ring to it, don’t you?”

Open mouthed, the page followed her ruler towards the hoofball pitch.

Author's Note:

Once again thanks to Mooncalf for this help in getting this story looking as good as it does and to Grassandclouds2 and Fizzy Orange for letting me use their creations Paperweight and Night Vision.

This was actually the first idea I had for a time after time chapter as the 5th Doctor is probably my favourite but it got put on the backburner for a while as its a fairly pedestrian story. Given the success of Pinkie and Bluie I decided to add them to the cast list with a view of their possible life in a few years time.

There is an alternative scene for the birth on my blog which gives Octavia a bigger part to play.

I'm not sure what chapter to do next possibly a 2nd Doctor base under siege story featuring Shining Armour or a 10th Doctor story about an assassination attempt on Luna with Scootaloos mother.

As always comments both positive and negative are great