• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 521 Views, 1 Comments

Unlike father, unlike son. - SolidFerret



Just when Hard Chord can catch a break, his father comes knocking on the front door.

  • ...
 1
 521

Dedication.

" This is not what it is, only baby scars. I need your love. Like a boy needs his mothers side."

-Second and Sebring by Of Mice and Men


A cough had broken the silence in a small home in Canterlot. To the neighbors, it was something that had been occurring for a few weeks. Soon yelling between a teenage colt and a stallion. And they would all say the say the same thing.

"Looks like Lightning Speed and Hard Chord are at it again."

It's was true. That family had a sick mare that was losing her very life. Two growing colts entering their teen years and her husband had to look after her. But the oldest colt was a very rebellious pony. Lightning Speed never approved.

"You always do this! You think that just because I look like this I'm some freak! You know what? I'm done!"

"Good! GO! You'll be be back! It's not like even your mother cares!"

"That's not true honey." A sickly voiced called.

Hard Chord ran out of his front door and turned around. His dad stood in the doorway and glared at him.

"You leave, I don't want you back here. Celestia knows what you'll do to yourself without us watching."

"So glad to see you'll miss me!" Hard Chord felt his tears fall. "WHY!?"

"You brought this on yourself. I told you I didn't want to raise a pony with piercings but what did you do? You did it anyways. I'll make sure Notes doesn't do the same."

"He won't cause you guys actually give him attention."

"Well good. I'll have a son to turn out great."

"Go to hell dad."

Hard Chord stopped and listened. A mare was crying in his home. But she went into a coughing fit.

"Mom?"

"Just go already!" His dad yelled angrily.

Hard Chord instead tried to run back into his home.

"MOM!"

A flash filled his vision as his dad hit him in the face. Hard Chord rolled back.

"LEAVE!"

Hard Chord stared back at him with a hateful, tearful glare. He never knew that about 5 years later he would have a sad, teary stare at a grave with a flower on it.

"So she really died the night I left?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It wasn't any of our faults. But she could have gone without thinking her son left the family."

"But dad drove you away. So it still isn't our faults."

The two brothers exchanged their talk, two mares looked at them from a distance.

"It's so sad about what happened." Twilight said.

"But to think those two can be so... what's the word?" Vinyl wondered.

"Well they are humorous. Is that what you're looking for?"

"I was implying it."

The sun had set, giving the sky an orange color. Hard Chord and Twilight had gone to Canerlot for the day to visit Electronic Notes and Vinyl.

"I'd wish they hurry. I know it's their mother but I need food." Vinyl complained.

"I'm kinda hungry too." Twilight agreed.

"It's kinda more like cravings."

Twilight only raised an eyebrow.

'Oh boy.' She thought.

She snapped away from her thoughts when she saw the two approaching.

"Well i'm hungry. Wanna go get food?"

"Oh finally. I've been craving things all week!" Vinyl exclaimed.

Hard Chord waited for Notes and Vinyl to get ahead before turning his head towards Twilight.

"Cravings." He didn't question it. He knew.

"We should-"

"No. I don't think she even knows."


The group of four had walked through Canterlot and got food. Hard Chord and Twilight Sparkle boarded the next train to Ponyville. Notes and Vinyl made it back to their home. Notes walked in and turned back towards the door.

"Hey I know you were hungry but did you have to get so many hay fries?"

"But their the best." She argued.

"Yeah, I guess." Notes had reached for one when Vinyl walked in carrying them but his hoof was swatted away.

"My fries!" Vinyl said nearly aggressively.

"Ow." Notes said jokingly. "You hurt me. I thought you loved me."

Vinyl giggled at his joking. But a thought made her play along.

"Oh, i'm sorry baby I didn't mean it. Please forgive me." She joked.

"Aw thanks Vinyl." He said as he hugged her playfully. "You're the best."

Vinyl began to give him a smile, "Well I know a better apology." A seductive edge in her voice nearly made Notes wings shoot straight up.

"Well what is it?" He asked, only pretending to not know.

Vinyl began to flick her tail under his chin before pressing her chest on his.

"Well how about we-"

First a hiccup, then a run to the bathroom, followed by puking.

"Wow this is so hot." Notes said. Clearly disappointed.

"Shut it." Vinyl called.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah just over-ate." Vinyl said as she walked out.

She got into bed and hoped to sleep off the wave of nausea that she felt. Notes climbed in and put his hoof around her. The two snuggled in for the night.


"Hahahahaha. I can't belive how he was all like "I'm sorry I wasn't there" and "It isn't our fault." HA!" A stallion spat as he looked at a grave.

"Dumb waste of space missed his mommy and wanted to visit. A real stallion would move on. But clearly something went wrong with him. Should have wooped his ass more." The stallion drunkenly rambled on and on to the grave. But to loud.

"Sir!"

He turned his attention and caught sight of gold.

"You're under arrest."

Turns out it was a guard.

"Well damn I was just visiting my dead wife. Can't a stallion get some sympathy?"

"You were yelling loud and causing a disturbance.. I'm going to have to-"

"I have a better idea." A majestic voice said.

The guard bowed as Princess Celestia walked forward.

"It seems as if you need to make amends with your son. Much like he and his brother."

"Princess with all due respect, i'm sober enough to not insult you and tell you that it won't work. That little runt is useless to me."

"But when the time comes, you'll need him as much as he needs you."

"So never."

"Tomorrow you will be escorted to Ponyville. You're son is well... "In acquiescence" with my personnel student."

"Alrighty then."

"Mr. Lightning Speed. I do hope that you and your son reconnect after the terrible tragedy."

"You mean when he was born."

"Goodbye. My guards will be to you in the morning."

After a while, Lightning finally realized it.

"Crap, I have to meet my son."


Hard Chords' eyes snapped open. He was careful not to wake Twilight. But something felt... wrong.

"Shits' about to hit the fan."

Author's Note:

Spot the reference.