• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 2,352 Views, 82 Comments

Two Minds - Thethhron



A planet populated plentifully by pretty pretty ponies has had a pox of godly politics poured upon it, preventing proper propagation of a pony-filled future.

  • ...
7
 82
 2,352

Boots - Duality

Royal Night Visit

After my bath in the stream, we resumed our walk into the forest. Some plants were recognizable to me as food sources – wild grape vines, blackberry bushes, stuff like that. I took the time to teach what I could to Aurora, who grew excited over having another new option available to her. My occasional thoughts drifted back towards the event that brought me here. Over the few days since the green dragon had attacked us, I’d been able to piece together an ongoing train of thought on the matter.

Not that I had anything beyond the strange memories, the floating words at the end and a brain three turns from candy cane lane to go on.

One of those things was not very useful. Magical, floating commands did little to illuminate the matter after all.

In the end, most of those memories were really just point of view changes for various events I had already seen. Nightmare’s day of darkness and Discord’s trickery were nothing new, nor was Chrysalis’s banishment. The Tale of the Royal Pony Sisters was a childhood story I intended to tell MY children. However, those were big events for Equestria, ones that could have changed the world.

So how did the Gala fit in? If the pattern continued, that meant that specific gala had some huge impact on Equestria as a whole. I could maybe understand a Gala being super important but nothing really stood out about the scene other than the band and the changeling, neither of which I knew enough about to make conclusions. Always more questions, never any answers. None of these things really got me anywhere.

That left the final scene: the Mane Six in the Crystal Empire library. Presumably, that was as important as Discord or Nightmare Moon. Moreover, the spell was definitely summoning spell, if the prose was any indication. Combined with the words I saw after… Well, I'd been summoned to help. Which didn't sit well with me.

Not to say that I didn’t want to help Equus with whatever trouble it had gotten into – supposing that theory was correct. However, I doubted my own ability to be useful. I was just a hyperactive oddball from Earth. I wasn’t terribly strong or smart. Just a guy. My brief time in martial arts was unlikely to be useful. Why would I be picked out of the millions of people, when there were absolutely stronger or smarter or more caring people out there? It didn't fit, at least, not to my mind.

On the plus side, I’d never had anything so interesting simply HAPPEN to me. That was nice. Well, relatively speaking. Going on the run from a megalomaniac dragon after being transformed into strange fetish fuel and getting sliced up was hardly nice but eh, take the good with the bad. New planet, and no social constraints holding me down; exploring the unknown and all. The more I thought about it, though, the more the novelty wore off. If it kept spirits high though, I’d focus on it. Believing I could find Equestria and explore the boundaries of the world was a better thing to hope for than a death in wastelands.

I sighed. Hopefully reaching Equestria would allow me to get some answers. If the ponies couldn’t help me figure anything out, I didn’t know who could. A new plant attracted my attention.

“Ah, see this Aurora? This is called Sourgrass or Yellow Wood Sorrell…”


The night air was refreshing. The cool forest temperature was calming, reminiscent of many nights I had spent camping. We had spent our nights in caves while traversing the crags, curled against the walls. Rocks were more comfortable than I remember them being. Tonight, we had found a large tree to take shelter under, with a stream passing in a nearby clearing. We’d had to surprise some animals, as the last of the leopard meat wasn’t enough, even when combined with plants, some of which Aurora couldn’t stomach.

I hadn’t had the chance to see the night sky on my own since arriving on Equus, so I stood out in the clearing, gaze upwards. The stars were just as beautiful as the first time I had seen them. I found it interesting that so many of the constellations were the same. There, the Pleiades, and there, Pegasus. I suppose some things just work out that way.

Finally, I focused on the moon. I have a peculiar habit of talking to the moon when walking by myself at night. Not really sure where or why I picked it up. I tend to treat it as a kind of conversation with God, imagining a response in my head.

“Hey Mr. Moon! Though, is it Miss Moon now, since Luna guides you? Well, no matter. How have you been?”

I gave the moon time for an imaginary response.

“That’s good to hear. And the kids?”

“I’m glad. Fianto was always a headstrong boy. Well, I’m doing alright. As you can see, I’m not on Earth anymore. Kinda weird, right?”

…………….

“I don’t really know how I got here, though I have a suspicion I’m hoping is wrong. Yeah, it’s certainly an interesting place…. I wonder if I’ll ever go home? Not that I have any more of a purpose there but still. What do you think?”

… ….. ……

“You’re right. No use worrying about it. Equestria is the best bet for that anyway.”

…. ….. …… .. …

“Aurora is a nice girl. I mean, she tagged along with me without a second thought. Well, maybe a second thought but you know what I mean. I hope she can find a better life somewhere in the world.”

…… … ….. .

“Yeah. Anyway, I’ll go sleep now. Need to be up early.”

…….

“Good night!”

I wandered back to Aurora, satisfied. Talking like that always felt good. Aurora was already asleep, curled against the trunk of the tree. I laid on the ground nearby, sinking into the mossy underbrush. The smooth motion of the canopy and Aurora’s regular breathing lulled me to sleep.


White

Up? White

Down? White

Everywhere was pure, unshaded white.

And then it was a pond. A clearing in the woods, a clear view of the night sky.

I stood from my laying position and walked to the pond. I was human again in my reflection but…. only half of me. I lifted my hands and I could see the scaly skin I had grown used to in my week on Equus. I looked down again, my human reflection still missing its left half.

A glint.

A dark speck in the pool grew larger and larger until it breached the surface, spraying me with water. I looked back as the shape landed behind me.

Luna.

I knelt. “Princess. It is an honor.”

“Please, rise”

“Your Majesty”

“It has been long since we- er, I, have heard the moon spoken to in such a manner.” Her voice was hard and stern but her face masked with confusion. “How hast thou come to speak so closely with it?” A chill passed down my spine. This was surreal. There were any number of reasons I should be freaking out and yet I felt drenched in calm, peace flowing through me.

“It is a habit. I often spoke with the moon on beautiful nights, such as this, back on Earth. No one has ever actually replied of course.” Her mouth flattened in thought.

“So, as I thought, you are not of this world.” Her eyes flashed white momentarily. “Indeed, you appear human, however…. you are not whole.” I must be dreaming. Actually dreaming and Luna is visiting me.

“You can tell?”

“Yes, I can see you for what you are. You are missing an entire half of your soul. What caused this?” Did talking to the moon really bring her here and surprise her so much? I would have figured ponies loved the moon like humans did, nowadays at least.

“I know not. I felt a hole in my being not long after I arrived over a week ago; the extent of my loss was unknown to me until just now. I’m somewhat surprised you know of humans.”

“They are becoming common nowadays, with the game going on.”

“I hope they have not been too bad a representation of our race. What game do you speak of?” A waterfall of calm washed over me again, calming the nerves that were beginning to fray again. Was she doing that?

“Ah, not every god explains. The god that sent you has chosen you to represent them in a rather barbaric game for power. Generally, the last piece standing is considered the winner and granted a wish. What did your god offer you in coming here, if you don’t mind my asking?” Gods? Wishes? A game? Well, something is wrong in Equestria, that's for sure.

“Um...no ‘god’ asked me anything. I fell into a pit made of rainbows and woke up on a cliff north of here.”

Luna frowned “But… Someone must have brought you here. Are you sure no one approached you beforehand?”

“Yep. I didn’t go out all day. Heck, I had just woken up. Only been awake about thirty minutes and POP! Rainbow slide.” As surreal as the dream I was having, one would think rainbows would be a little more common in Equestria. What with all the magic and such.

“Hmmm...Give me a moment…” Luna’s horn began to glow.

“What are you doing?” I was more curious than anything. I doubted Luna was going to banish me or anything. Hopefully. Though, she probably would have had a good reason to, ruling a country and such. Don't let the super depressing thoughts get to you or anything Boots. I'm sure moon banishment is as fun as a barrel of monkeys.

“I am searching for something...There- huh?” Her eyebrows creased above her closed eyes.

“What is it?” Magic in a dreamscape. Fantasyland hoy. Oh right, I guess this does confirm Equestria, not that I had doubts anyway. This is my reality now. Better get used to it.

“I have found the link I was looking for but it doesn’t seem to connect to a god. Moreover, I see a fainter path to the other half of your soul, which is far, far away from you. But this link, whoever summoned you is much closer, judging by the strength. It’s still quite far - somewhere within my own country if I am a good judge. They did something wrong with the spell they used, which is why your soul has been split. Normally it should have just sped back to you but...something is containing it. I cannot say what though.”

“So you don’t know who summoned me?” I asked.

“I cannot say for sure. The magic is familiar in some places and entirely foreign in others.”

“That's... unfortunate. I was hoping you'd say Twilight Sparkle.” Luna’s horn was at my throat instantly.

“How do- “ She removed her horn, blushing ”Of course you know that name, if you know mine. I apologize, I do not always think before leaping, as I believe they say now.”

“I-it's fine. I should have expected you to react like that. Doesn’t it bother you that I know who you are though?” I spoke tentatively, rubbing my neck. Who knows how dreams and reality were tied? Hopefully not like the Matrix.

“It does not surprise me greatly. Many other humans that came before you also knew of Equestria. I assume you watch the, what was it, ‘TV program’? But perhaps you should introduce yourself.”

“Of course! Where are my manners? My name is Boots. Um...Nothing special about me beyond that. I’m a college student studying Psychology.” I figured I might as well continue going by the name I'd given Aurora.

”The Psychology of humans? I think my sister was interested in that. While your name is odd by our standards, it seems strangely fitting and certainly is on par with the names other humans have taken.” She paused in thought. “What made you come to the conclusion Twilight summoned you?”

“Well…” I described to her the memories I had received during my unconscious period between realms. She listened, asking minimal questions. When I reached the end, her eyes opened wide at my mention of the white words.

“Truly? This spell...it sounds similar to one used millennia ago, also to summon a human. That spell has been buried deep within Canterlot though… For something so similar to exist in the Crystal Empire is amazing." She straightened up and coughed. "I must ask that you make haste to Equestria. While the logic of the spell is yet veiled, it's intent brooks no doubt. It would seem you have been called to arms in defense of our world.”

I sighed. “I figured it would be that. Just, why me?”

She looked at me curiously. “You would not wish to do what you were summoned to?”

“No,“ I said “it’s not that I don’t want to serve some purpose but, like…” I looked to the sky for inspiration. “If you were pulled from home, from your sister and your life right now, to a world you’d only ever heard of, to do some grand thing, would you not be just a little put out? Especially when you don’t even know what you’re supposed to do?” I chose a stone off the beach and skipped it across the pond. One hop.

Luna’s eyebrows scrunched up, looking across the dream water. “I… suppose so…”

“Sorry, maybe that sounds weird. I’ve spent a lot of time with my nose buried in works of fiction. And it's different for you anyway, being a powerful deity-like, uh... pony.” I skipped another stone. Two hops. “I guess it bothers me most that I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing or who I'm supposed to help. Why me, for what purpose? Is there some grand scheming villain? A terrible artifact of power, prophesied to arise?”

Luna selected a smooth stone from the shore. “I do not believe so. My sister has gotten better at including me in plans after so long without me. I do not know, uhm, Boots.” Luna shuffled her hooves, squinting out over the water. "I should probably say, though, that I do not believe the spell reached for you specifically."

"What do you mean?"

"I mentioned that the spell was performed incorrectly, yes? With what you have told me, I believe that, rather than badly performed, the spell was never completed in the first place." She cast a sidelong glance at me. "The spell chose you at random.

I grimaced. “That's almost worse, in a way."

"I apologize. I do not mean to make you seem of less import." Luna said.

"I mean, not being important kind of relieves the pressure. But it doesn't change where I am. I just feel so lost right now.” I spun another stone out of my hand. One hop. “I haven’t had time to think since I got here." Luna looked at me again, selecting a new stone and dropping the previous one. "Really I can’t. I get powerful headaches whenever I try. There’s so much to take in about this situation and I’ve been so focused on surviving…” Luna looked to me, frowning. “Well, they aren’t your troubles really. Sorry, I got wordy.” I threw one last stone. Four hops. “Now there’s a good throw.”

Luna spun her stone in magic and projected it away like a bullet. It skimmed the water and hit a tree on the other side. “Show-off”

Luna gave a half-smile before speaking."I'm sorry I cannot offer words of comfort. I do know something of exile from home though." An ever so slight droop in her shoulders appeared.

"Oh, jeez, I'm sorry Princess. And you had a thousand years of it too. Here I am, some young whippersnapper complaining about something that's not even half bad to someone who lived a thousand times that, in twice as terrible a condition. Forgive me."

Her ears perked up as she looked at me. "There is nothing to forgive. Mayhaps, your exile is not a terrible as a thousand years, but 'tis still an exile nonetheless." She shook her head. “It matters not. You are here and we will try and help. Even if you don't believe it now, magic can work in ways that none comprehend. Hopefully one day, understanding will come. Now, if I may, what do you plan to do?”

I thought for only a moment. “Well, obviously I need to find my soul. Before that though, I have a promise to keep. I need to escort my companion to Equestria, in hopes she can find a better life. After that…. I don’t really know. I suppose I'll try to figure out what brought me here and maybe, if I can get home. Do you have some plan in mind, your highness? I certainly lack direction and I haven’t really thought anything out well - whenever I try, my brain feels like it’s splitting apart.”

She nodded sagely. “That is likely a result of your soul’s damage. While you are outside of Equestria, there is little I or anyone I know can do for you. However, now that I know of you, I would ask that when you arrive on Equestria to make your way to Ponyville - not only will you be able to ask some more of Twilight and the spell it appears she used, Ponyville also has a direct train to Canterlot. You knew that though, did you not? I would greatly like to converse with your physical being, as I’m sure my sister also will. Please come find us. I will let Twilight know you are coming, though I expect it will be a long time before you arrive, correct?”

I nodded “It seems I am currently in the Dragon Badlands, or rather, I just left it to, I think, the east?”

“Oh dear.” Her face scrunched up.”To think you are… I’m sorry, I wish there was more I could do to help. You are currently in the most troublesome part of the world. The dragons are carnivorous beasts but if you have gone east, to the Diamond Dog lands then… Be careful. The dogs will have no qualms capturing or killing you.”

”Not much different than the dragons then.” I scratched my face and shrugged “I’ll probably be fine. These things tend to work out for me.” I sat down, letting my feet rest in the water. “Thank you for visiting me Princess. You have answered a lot of questions. If you'll humor one more...”

"Yes?" Her eyes glinted, even with no moon to light them.

"If I've gone east, which way is Equestria?"

She looked at me pensively. "Far, far to the south. Through jungles and hills of troubles."

"Good to know. Thank you, Princess."

Luna turned towards the stars above her. “Thank you, Moonfriend. It is good to know my skies are appreciated. May your journey here be swift and safe. There will be much to discuss when you arrive. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, your maj...esty?” I opened my eyes. Daytime had just begun, its early light pervading the canopy above me.

Well then. I wonder what she meant by “Moonfriend”? Eh, time to get going.

Always more questions.

Author's Note:

Wow it's been a while. School happened. Trying a new style of formatting, let me know if it's good bad or whatever.

Also, pie. Meaning this has not been pre-read or proofread yet. Hopefully I didn't miss any errors.