• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,113 Views, 82 Comments

Rearranged - Touch the Sky



Twilight Sparkle is an alicorn princess. She couldn't ask for better friends. But after an accidental repeat of a disruptive spell we all recognise, her friends haven't only swapped cutie marks- but species too.

  • ...
4
 82
 2,113

Rarity Breaks It Up

A few days later, it was Pinkie's birthday, and I found myself rigged into excitedly (and secretly) decorating her home for the occasion. Every animal and Pinkie had been cleared out to, with Fluttershy's reluctant consent, Sweet Apple Acres. Neither I nor Applejack, who had been dismissed from hospital with inconclusive results for her tests the day before, had said a word to Rainbow or any of the others, but Rarity still cast us glances laden with suspicion at regular intervals.

Though Rarity's mental state worried me, I had much greater concerns. I could see that to get our original species back, we had to break the thing which wasn't a usual part of our anatomies. But for Fluttershy and I, I had little clue how we might get our wings and my horn back. And Rarity wasn't even flying these days, I suspected out of fear for her wings and status.

And getting species back wasn't a guarantee of getting our memories back either. Applejack was back to her normal state of mind (though her cutie mark was still that lightning bolt) but Rainbow, despite being a pegasus again, was still working the boutique. But Rainbow loved flying, and I was hoping I could encourage her into performing a Sonic Rainboom and have her regain her cutie mark.

I finished hanging the streamers and looked over the room with satisfaction. It looked good, but the eccentric pony inside me told me it was missing something. I reached behind my back and literally produced Pinkie's party cannon from nowhere. I stared at it for several minutes before shrugging and slamming the button. Confetti and streamers flew everywhere. I nodded appreciatively.

Soon the other girls and the taller Spike arrived and we waited for Pinkie to come in.
Eventually Pinkie pushed the door open, just as I hit the cannon button again and we all shouted, "SURPRISE!"
Pinkie squealed and ran upstairs; Applejack had to go up and pull the pink pegasus from under her bed. After that the party swung into action, and it was great fun.

We played several party games, which were filled with much hilarity after my new twist on 'pin the tail on the pony- 'pin the wings on the pegasus' turned into everypony chasing Applejack trying to pin the wings on her. After that, Rarity magicked up a pinata for each of us, which looked like ourselves. Applejack kicked the hay out of Rainbow's, and Spike laughed so hard he incinerated the remaining pinatas and their contents, except for his, which was full of gems which both he and Rainbow hurried to gather up.

Then I put on some music and we impulsively started dancing. Rainbow fell over a few times, unbalanced by her wings, and more laughter ensued. I felt happy as the laughter reached my ears, almost ecstatic, and grew more hyperactive as the celebrations continued.

But as I danced, I noticed Rarity and Spike sneaking outside. Curiosity got the better of me and I followed them a few minutes later.

I caught up to them on the outskirts of the Everfree Forest. I huddled behind a bush and angled my ears towards the conversation. Instead, I heard Rarity sobbing.
"Rarity, it's okay." came Spike's gruff tones. "You don't have to do this."

"But I...I...I do!" wailed Rarity, and I heard the rustle of wings as she folded them around her. "I can't be in love! I'm immortal, and I'll outlive you. I couldn't bear living without you... so this is it. I'm sorry."
I realised what I was witnessing and began to creep away, when I heard Spike mutter, "Rarity, please don't do this. I'm nothing without you... I'm just a monster."

"Please, Spike. It's unbecoming for a princess to love a dragon- please understand."
There was a pause. Then Spike hissed bitterly, "Is that really why you're doing this? Because it's unbecoming for us to be together?"
Rarity cried, "No, Spike! I just... don't make this any harder than it already is."
But Spike evidently wasn't listening. "So you were lying, then, when you told me I was everything? All this time, you've been lying?"

"Maybe I have!" yelled Rarity, her desperation turning to anger.
"So this is the end." spat Spike. "All that I see in you, all we've been through. This is the end."
"Yes, it is!" shouted Rarity. I heard leathery wings start to beat, and then Spike rose into the air. Rarity, still out of my sight, screamed after him, "It's disgusting how I used to love you! I never want to see you again, you monster!"

Spike kept flying over the Everfree, and he never looked back. As soon as he was out of sight, I risked a glance at Rarity. She was sitting staring down at the ground. Only just loud enough for me to hear, she murmured, "I'll not forget you, Spikey Wikey." She traced something on the ground with her hoof, then wiped away a residual tear before trotting back towards the house. When she rounded the corner, I sneaked over to where she had been sitting. A heart was carved in the dust, with the writing
'R + S 4 EVER'
written in it. A teardrop splatter slightly blurred the letter 'S'. As I stood there, a breeze swept by and obliterated the heart and its contents, but the teardrop lay there still before soaking into the ground. I shook my head sadly and headed back to the party.

Rarity explained Spike's disappearance away with a vague lie, and then the party resumed. But as I looked over at the white alicorn, I saw untold misery and pain glistening in her eyes.

In the nights that followed, I'd walk past the library to see Rarity sitting on her balcony, staring out towards the Everfree forest, her eyes glittering with starlight and tears.

Author's Note:

This is a filler chapter, because I'm not sure what is going to happen next.