• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,113 Views, 82 Comments

Rearranged - Touch the Sky



Twilight Sparkle is an alicorn princess. She couldn't ask for better friends. But after an accidental repeat of a disruptive spell we all recognise, her friends haven't only swapped cutie marks- but species too.

  • ...
4
 82
 2,113

I Misplace My Wings

Hello. I am Twilight- Princess Twilight Sparkle. Ugh, I still haven't got used to that title yet.
So I'm now a powerful alicorn, a winged unicorn, and I rule as Princess of Magic beside my old mentor, Princess Celestia, and her sister Princess Luna.
But being royalty isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The day I earned my wings, I messed up my friends' destinies. They switched cutie marks, and me and my dragon assistant, Spike, had to go around teaching them who they really were, and with the help of the Elements of Harmony, I managed to fix things. I completed the unfinished spell which had caused those problems, and as a result became an alicorn. A princess.

But a few weeks later, I messed things up again. For whatever reason, the page the spell was written on was blanked out when I used the spell. But I wanted to know it, so I kept thinking about it, and finally, I remembered it.

Or at least, I thought I did. I tested it while sitting in bed one night, saying it out loud to see if it sounded right. What I didn't know was that my alicorn magic was working away as I said the words, and as I found in the morning, I had managed to cast the wrong, unfinished spell. But this time, it was much more powerful.

So here's the story.

***********************************************************

When I woke up, something immediately felt wrong. I opened my eyes, and found myself in Pinkie Pie's house. This threw me for a minute. How did I get all the way from Canterlot to Ponyville in my sleep? Suddenly I spotted something green on my stomach, and looked down at Gummy, Pinkie's pet alligator, who stared unblinkingly back.
I gently brushed Gummy off and stood up, but the ground seemed somewhat closer than normal. I stretched all of my muscles, expecting to feel my powerful wings unfolding.
Nothing.

I turned around to look at my back. To my horror, my wings were gone. I was a normal unicorn again.
But then I felt strangely empty, like something else was missing. I ran over to the mirror, and almost screamed at what I saw there.

I had no wings, and no horn, either. But on my flank were...
Three balloons?
This was getting very odd. I was suddenly an earth pony, and I had Pinkie Pie's cutie mark.

Then I remembered; I'm in Ponyville. All my friends are here. I'm sure they'll know what to do.

As I left Pinkie's house - a still unsolved mystery as to how I'd got there, I realised- something shot past me. I turned, expecting to see Rainbow Dash, but it was Applejack who stood there. I had just opened my mouth to speak when I saw that on Applejack's flank, Rainbow Dash's colourful lightning bolt cutie mark gleamed.

"Applejack... wha..." I stuttered.

"Howdy Twilight." greeted Applejack. "Everythin' okay?"

"I... uh?" I couldn't get the words out. Applejack frowned at me.

"Ya don't seem yer usual self, sugarcube. Ya want me to go find Pinkie? She'll cheer ya up."

I nodded dumbly. Applejack wheeled around in a fluid motion, spread her orange, feathered wings and launched herself into the air. As she flew away, leaving a yellow blur behind her, I gulped. Applejack had... wings?

I shook my head to clear it, then stood awkwardly in the street waiting for Applejack's return. In due course, I saw an orange and yellow blur zooming back over town and stepped aside so Applejack had space to land. Applejack skidded to a halt in mid-air, stopping to hover beside me for a few seconds before zooming off, returning with a fluffy cloud and sprawling out on it. I almost went to fetch my own, before remembering I had no wings. I stood miserably as Applejack pummelled the cloud into a comfortable shape.

I was thinking dreamily of the softness of clouds, when Applejack sighed theatrically and sped off, pushing her cloud, towards a pink speck on the skyline, which I had only just noticed. Applejack stopped next to the speck and seemed to converse with it, before the pink thing perched on the cloud and Applejack pushed it back towards me.

By now a thought had occurred to me. If that was Pinkie, how was she sitting on a cloud? Surely...
As the two grew nearer, my suspicions were confirmed. Pinkie-for it was she- had two pink feathered wings folded against her sides. Applejack stopped the cloud and Pinkie bounced off, drifting down on her feathered wings. I could clearly see Fluttershy's butterfly cutie mark emblazoned on her flank.

Pinkie and Applejack landed side by side in front of me. "Well, Twilight," said Applejack. "Ah gotta few stunts to practice, so ah'll see ya 'round." Applejack was gone in a flash of orange and yellow.

"What's up, Twilight?" chimed Pinkie. "Dashie said you were a bit off."
That threw me a bit. "Rainbow? But that was Applejack."
Pinkie looked at me sympathetically. "Oh dear, you really are acting a bit strange. Rainbow's at the boutique. I call Applejack Appledash, you know, 'cos she's such a fast flier."

"Umm..." I didn't know what to say to that. Pinkie suddenly perked up.
"I know! I'll take you to Rainbow. She'll know what's wrong."
So I followed Pinkie through town. It soon occurred to me that we were heading towards Rarity's boutique, and wondered what awaited me there.

My question was answered as we opened the door to the boutique with an accompanying jingle and Rainbow came trotting towards us, saying, "Welcome to the Carousel Boutique, where every garment is- Oh, Pinkie, Twilight, it's you two." Rainbow sighed, looking relieved. "I still can't remember that phrase, and I wrote it. Anyway, what can I do for you?"

Looking at Rainbow, I could instantly see that she had no wings. She did, however, have a blue horn on her head. I groaned, spotting Rarity's gem cutie mark on her flank. Rainbow frowned at me, then turned her violet eyes on Pinkie, who had started talking.

"Well, Dashie came to find me because Twilight was acting a bit weird, and then when she did act weird I brought her to you, because I thought you might know what was wrong."
Rainbow walked over to me and scrutinized me in the way Rarity did when she was picturing a dress for me. "What exactly did she do which was weird?" she said.

"Well, when I said 'Dashie' she thought I meant you."
Rainbow frowned again. "Hmmm... she doesn't seem her normal happy self, either. I don't know. Rarity probably will, when she gets back, but-"
Suddenly a yellow earth pony with a pink mane and tail burst through the door. "Pinkie!" she shouted. "Your damn squirrels and rabbits are stripping our orchard!"

"Oh, no!" cried Pinkie. "I did tell Angel to stay away... but he's so fond of your apples, bless him...!"
"I don't care! You get him and all his pals out of my fields right now!" bellowed the earth pony. By now I had recognised Fluttershy, albeit with her volume turned up to max and minus her wings. Three red apples stood out on her yellow flank as she turned and stormed out of the door.

"I'm ever so sorry Fluttershy... I'll deal with it right away..." Pinkie turned to leave in Fluttershy's wake, glancing back at Rainbow and I and muttering, "I'll see you girls around." before running out of the door.

"So," I said, turning to Rainbow, "where's Rarity coming back from?"
Rainbow looked at me. "Canterlot, of course. We haven't seen her for two weeks, not since-"
Suddenly the sound of a bugle came from outside, and Rainbow dashed out of the door. "Here she is now!"
I followed, nausea rising in my throat. Was it possible that Rarity was...?

I slipped out of the door and was immediately met by the sight of a white alicorn stepping carefully out of a royal carriage a few houses along. At first glance, I thought it was Celestia, and was confused, but then I saw the perfectly styled mane and tail and my own starry cutie mark on the newcomer's flank, and I gasped.

Rarity... was a princess?

Author's Note:

Not my best work, but then meh.

I thought this would be fun to write, so I wrote it.