• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 298 Views, 5 Comments

Honestly - TARAnasaur



Aj reflects on how she got her hat, and the real story behind her life.

  • ...
 5
 298

Happy Birthday!

The day was warm and absolutely perfect for being outside. At Sweet Apple Acres six friends sat at a table in front of the barn celebrating a special somepony's birthday.

"Happy birthday, Applejack!" Shouted the five friends at once.

"Aw shucks sugarcubes, Ah just don't know what to say! Thank you all," Said Applejack.

The six smiled at eachother as Pinkie Pie excitedly cut the cake and handed out everypony's share.

"You are very, very welcome! You know how much I love throwing PARTIES!" Shouted the pink pony.

Granny Smith, followed by Big Macintosh and Applebloom, brought out a tray with six glassed of fresh apple cider and gave one to everypony.

"I can't remember the last time we had a real party for your birthday, Applejack," said Granny with the tray still in her mouth.

"Ah don't like goin' on makin' a big ol' fuss over myself, Granny, you know that," said AJ through a mouthfull of cake.

"Applejack, please be a dear and chew with your mouth closed, said Rarity with a hint of disgust.

"Oh leave her alone! She's the birthday girl! So Applejack, got any totally awesome plans for your birthday?" Rainbow asked as she flew just above their heads.

"Ah actually was just hopin' to relax and take the day off for a change," said AJ,

"Oh my! You should come with me to the spa! It's simply marvelous! It's melt-in-your-mouth relaxing!" Rarity said excitedly.

"Nah, Rar', Ah think Ah'll just head up to my favourite tree and sleep the afternoon away," Applejack said as she sipped her cider.

"Hmph. Well, suit yourself," Huffed Rarity.

"Oh, Applejack! I almost forgot! It's from all of us," Twilight Sparkle said as she levitated a box over everypony's head with her magic.

"What is it?" asked AJ

"You have to open it to find out, silly!" said Pinkie.

Applejack took the wrapping paper in her teeth and ripped it open. She took the lid in her hooves and threw it over her head. Applejack looked inside and a smile formed on her lips. She picked up the beautiful gift and held it up for everypony to see. It was a wonderfully designed new hat. It was a soft brown leather and studded with silver all around. It was fancy but not too overdone. It was perfect for Applejack.

"D-do you like it?" asked Fluttershy.

It took Applejack a moment to answer. She loved the hat, but was more choked up about how much thought her friends put into this gift just for her.

"Ah love it!" she finally answered.

Applejack went around the table and hugged each of her friends.

"Ah wish Ah could tell ya'll just how much this means to me," said AJ

"It was nothing at all, dear. We love you very much and you deserve nothing less than the best." Rarity said.

"Well, we hate to party and run, but Fluttershy and I are going watch a wonderbolts show in Cloudsdale! Its the last performance they will be making here on their tour, and I can't miss that! I'm sure you understand!" Rainbow Dash said as she tugged on the yellow pegasus.

"Aw, well, have fun ya'll!" AJ said waving.

The group watched until the two pegasi were just out of sight.

"I better get going too. Its about time for Opal's feeding." Rarity said getting up.

"Ooohh! Ooh! Can I come too?! We can feed Opal and Gummy together!" Pinkie said jumping up to meet Rarity.

"Why of course, dear. Oh and happy birthday once again Applejack!" Rarity said walking away, with Pinkie bouncing at her side.

"Thanks, sugarcube!" Applejack shouted waving.

Granny Smith and Twilight had begun to clear the table. Applebloom was putting away the cake. Big Mac was picking up the trash.

"Let me help ya'll with that," AJ insisted.

"No Applejack, today is your day. You go relax and we'll clean up here. My report to Celestia isn't due until tomorrow so I can take your share of the work today," Twilight said.

"Aw, thanks Twi," AJ said.

Applejack took her new hat in her mouth and made her way up to her house. She climbed the stairs up to her room and shut the door behind her. She sat in front of her mirror and took a good look.

She took in all her features. Her golden blonde mane, her bright orange coat, her emerald green eyes, and her freckles. They were all a part of her and all made her who she was. Her hat was no different. She wore her hat as often as she wore the freckles on her face. It was special.

She took her hat in her hooves and looked at the deep wrinkles in the leather. Each wrinkle had a special memory to it, an important part of AJ's life. One special mark, though, told an entire story. A moment that changed Applejack's life forever.

With the leather in her hooves she sat back and remembered the day that changed everything.

Author's Note:

I am very new to writing and I would love to improve. I greatly appreciate any feedback and tips anyone can give me. So please, leave a comment and tell me what you think!