• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 1,964 Views, 15 Comments

Dawn of a New World - KingBrony



Destruction. Tragedy. The End. How can one live in this new world?

  • ...
4
 15
 1,964

Fluttershy 1 - The Truth

Twilight...

Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie...

Rain....Rainbow Dash...

Fluttershy opened her eyes. She was in a forest. The trees hung high over the pony. An odd light covered the area; it wasn't day, nor was it night. Twilight.

The pegasus screamed as she sprang to her hooves. It was silent, except for the light rustling of the green leaves. She thought she was alone.

"What happened?" She said quietly as she tried to remember the events of before...the Sleipnir, her friends.

Discord.

Fluttershy took a few steps forward, trying to take note of where she is. The trees all looked as if they were mocking the pegasus, as if they laughed at her every step. The leaves rustled a few times, causing the pony to jump.

"Is...is somepony there?" She whimpered as she looked up into the sky. The trees all rustled and faint noises could be heard. Fluttershy had thoughts of those bad stallions she saw in Las Pegasus, or the ones in Manehatten...

"Please..." She cried as she heard a branch break.

"Up already, Fluttershy?" Discord's voice tore through the silence as he appeared right in front of the pony. She screamed and cowered.

"Hey, you have to be quiet! They might find us here." Discord said as he revealed an apple and took a bite. The draconequus offered it to Fluttershy, but she refused. It was just her and Discord, alone in the woods. She didn't know what to make of it, but she soon remembered what happened.

"What...what did you do!?" Fluttershy asked. She thought the elements worked, and he was stone. Immediately, Fluttershy turned to attempt an escape.

Discord snapped his fingers as a cage appeared around Fluttershy. She was sobbing as the draconequus shrunk down in size to fit into the cage as well.

"I have to tell you something." Discord said. "...And I need to make sure you will actually listen to me, so here we are. Understand?"

Fluttershy slowly nodded her head.

"Good!" Discord exclaimed as he made a small couch appear in the cage. "Where to begin?"

"Where are my friends!?" Fluttershy interjected.

"Heck if I know." Discord yawned. "Could be anywhere in Equestria right now, I'm guessing. That's what the Sleipnir can do."

Discord paused for a moment before continuing. "...That's why I was trying to stop them."

"Stop them?" Fluttershy was confused. How could chaos stop those beasts?

"Why, do you take me for a sadistic savage who thought it would be fun to kick chaos into the eyes of downed ponies? There's a reason for it. I knew none of you would understand...I mean, it was hard enough for you to convince your friends that I was good now, but that chaos is the only tool to save you all? That would be too much!"

Fluttershy's head was spinning. "How did you break free from the elements?"

"Simple. Once Rainbow Dash....um, departed us, her connection to the elements was severed. The elements have lost their power."

The Elements Have Lost Their Power.

"No, this can't be true!" Fluttershy looked down to the element hung around her neck. She did her best to try and focus on something...anything.

...Nothing.

How was this possible? Fluttershy thought - she believed that the elements could overcome anything...

"Anyway," Discord continued. "Yes, it was up to me to keep you all safe from the Sleipnir...I did tell you - What is the opposite of Chaos?"

"Harmony." Fluttershy said softly as a tear flowed down her cheek. "I don't understand..."

"Do I really need to teach you your history?" Discord laughed.

"But...this wasn't...I never..."

"Because you ponies never looked back that far." Discord cut her off. "Long before Equestria was formed, this land was ruled by the Sleipnir. They were...beings of order. They held the power to make dreams a reality, to create what doesn't exist, to create a perfect existence."

"However, they would always fight with the Draconequus for control over the land, who liked to take that order and turn it into complete chaos. We have the power to alter reality into our dreams, to destroy order, and most importantly to have fun."

"The Sleipnir, believe it or not, were much friendlier than they are now. They developed something called the '6 Keys to Order' - now known as the Elements of Harmony. They kept the power of the Sleipnir, which was to restore order."

Fluttershy blinked at this. "You mean...the Elements were made by those...things?"

Discord nodded. "Well they certainly weren't made by ponies! And they didn't just appear out of nowhere for anypony to find! The Sleipnir used those things to keep us draconequus in line, and gave them significant power over us. The 'Yin Yang' type of relationship we had was tipped greatly in their favor....naturally, they grew power-hungry. The lawful and orderly Sleipnir gave way for crazed monsters. So there you have it; your precious elements were once used for not-so-good purposes. Honestly, I'm surprised you ponies weren't negatively affected by using them."

"Well, you ponies soon appeared and were enslaved by the Sleipnir. You were considered 'less than perfect' and went against what they believed was 'order'. This went on for quite a while, with the elements used to keep you all in line and up to their expectations."

"Eventually, the ponies grew tired of their 'overlords' and rebelled. The draconequus helped out as much as they could. The ponies took control of the Elements and weakened the Sleipnir's power."

"However, the king of the Sleipnir, before he was sealed away by the Elements, used the last of his power to make one more dream a reality...the 'prophecy' that the princesses incorrectly translated for you. It wasn't that the chaos would bring the Sleipnir back in order to cleanse the world, but that the chaos would prevent the Sleipnir from coming back. What is the opposite of chaos?"

"Wait..." Fluttershy interrupted Discord's story. "Where were they this whole time? Why did it have to happen now?"

"Since the elements contained the power of the Sleipnir, as they were used, they grew in power...which then helped restore a little of the Sleipnir's power as well. The first ponies found this out and hid them away, never to be used again. Your valiant princesses had to dig them up and use them once more...basically, the Sleipnir had enough power in recent time to break free from the spell. I would say the meteor shower was the dream one of them made into a reality. Your pony magic wouldn't work because Sleipnir magic trumps it. If you had every unicorn in the world use the most powerful spell they knew, you'd probably only be able to get a hundred before the rest would tear you to pieces."

"You knew all of this..." Fluttershy began. "...And you never told anypony?"

"Honestly, I don't think there was anything that could have been done about it." Discord said coldly. As much as Fluttershy wanted to refute it, she kind of agreed. She saw what they were capable of...

"Well, what now?" Fluttershy asked. She honestly felt like a scared filly; her friends are not with her anymore. She is on her own. With Discord.

"Just try not to die." Was all the draconequus said. "We try living and not getting killed by the Sleipnir. Should be easy since they are attracted to magic. As long as you're with me, you should be fine; chaos repels them, obviously."

"Can't you fix it then? Drive them away?"

"Now you know I'm not that powerful...but maybe...Aha! I know what we can do." The draconequus snapped his fingers, and the cage disappeared. Discord reappeared in his normal size and floated up into a tree. Fluttershy followed him. As she touched a branch, she could feel how lifeless it was.

Discord continued. "We could visit my people."

Fluttershy gasped. "There are more of you?"

The draconequus laughed. "You thought I was the only one left? Ever since the Sleipnir were sealed away, the draconequus began dying out. When they ran away to hide, I decided to stay in Equestria and...well, you know the story."

"Do you think they can stop the Sleipnir?"

"You're full of questions...honestly, I don't think so. But, might as well try. It'll be a fun little adventure."

"Did someone say adventure!?"

Pinkie Pie's voice literally came out of nowhere, making Fluttershy jump and fall out of the tree. Pinkie Pie appeared next to the pegasus and smiled.

"Pinkie PIe!" Fluttershy gasped as she jumped up to hug her friend. "I'm glad you're okay!"

"Why wouldn't I be, silly?" The pink pony said in response. "After you, Twilight, and Rarity vanished, Applejack and I decided it would be best to split up and find you. Oh, Spike and Sweetie Belle vanished too. Everypony else is with Applejack. I decided to take a stroll through the woods and head east while Applejack went south. I've been bouncing along for a while and soon enough, I found you! So, here we are!"

"Only pinkie pie." Fluttershy said as she laughed. Discord floated down from the tree as the two broke their embrace.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Where exactly are we going?" Fluttershy asked.

"North, far north." Discord replied. "Unfortunately, I can't teleport you that far, so we're walking it."

Fluttershy grimaced at this. Another long adventure.... She thought as she began to walk.

Author's Note:

Chapters from now on will focus on separate ponies or groups of ponies, which may occur simultaneously to each other.