• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 687 Views, 4 Comments

Chain of Dreams - Hippocrene Artifex



All of Equestria is now under the control of the Queen of the Changelings, save for a few brave souls that through their sheer wills to survive and a whole lot of luck, have managed to slip through the queen’s hooftips.

  • ...
2
 4
 687

Chapter 15

Azure finally awoke with a start. His mind racing to keep up with the pounding in his ears. He turned his head this way and that, making absolutely sure that what he just experienced was just a dream and nothing more. The shear realism of the whole thing just felt too vivid to be just an ordinary night terror. Alas, nothing was out of place from the night before aside from the small campfire that he and Wind Scribe had set up the night before had now died out without so much as an ember left. Wind Scribe, his companion for the moment, was just arousing from his sleep as well and Azure hurried to compose himself before the older stallion saw him.

With a wide yawn, Wind Scribe stretched his joints with a few audible pops, “Good morning, Azure.”

“Good morning,” Azure replied plainly.

“Hmm, I miss my old bed. Sleeping on the ground is not doing my body any favors.”

“…Oh, yeah. Me neither.”

Wind Scribe could tell that there was something a little off about his companion this morning. Though thought better of it than directly asking when the answer was seemingly clear. Over the past two days since they had left the cabin, they had been making a steady pace in heading east. Seeing the capitol in such disarray and knowing that their home was lost to them, they found it easier in continuing in the direction that had been heading, getting as far away for the devastation as possible. As much as they wanted to keep their promises in saving their family, they were only two ponies, and deep down they were scared for their lives.

Wind Scribe shook the depressing thoughts away in order to focus on more pressing matters; namely, breakfast.

“Azure, do we still have any cans of beans left?”

“Uh, I dunno,” Azure snapped out of his own stupor, “Let me check.” The blue pegasus dug around in the saddlebag they claimed to have ‘borrowed’ from the cabin with the food they intended to pay back to the owner in full. He was rummaging around in the bag for quite some time before procuring his prize.

He tossed the tin can of provisions in Wind Scribe’s direction before going back to look for something himself. “Sorry, that’s the last one. We really don’t have much left, I think we need to really start looking for more supplies.”

Wind Scribe looked down upon the tin of sustenance in his hooves with a sigh. He too knew that they were going to run out of food eventually. Even with Azure rudimentary knowledge of wildlife and edible plants, to which Wind Scribe was surprised to find out about, they wouldn’t last very long without a more solid supply. Breakfast was mostly silent, save for the natural wildlife that surround them in their campsite. After a quick round up of their meager supplies, the two pegasi set off in the same eastern direction they have been headed for the past two days. Albeit, without flying due to sore wings from considerable flight time they’ve both put in.

Not much else was said between the two on the mid-morning canter, not much else was needed to be said. They already pretty much knew everything about each other after spending so much time together. They were content in just knowing that the other was there beside him. By lunchtime, they sat down for a short break and have an apple each, thinking to ration their dwindling supplies.

*snap*

They were just getting up to keep going when Azure snapped his head to his left, a look of apprehension clear on his muzzle. Wind Scribe became silent as well, he too heard the sound that set Azure off. Usually it was just a fox or a small bunny, but something about this just seemed off. Wind Scribe took Azure’s lead, tensing up as he slowly rose to his hooves. His wings fluttered to a ready stance, preparing to take off. He glanced off to the side where Azure was, noting he was in the same stance. His attention flew back to the woods in front of him where he could now hear faint sounds. Hoofsteps, there was no mistaking the sound of hooves on hard packed dirt. He may have been from Cloudsdale, but Wind Scribe had Earth pony relatives that got him used to the sound.

“Halt, who goes there?” A gruff sounding voice commanded from the other side of a tree that Azure was staring at. The sudden outburst nearly sent both pegasi flying, but something in the tone demanded a response above all else. “I ask again, who goes there?” despite the origin of the voice’s location, neither of the pegasi were able to see who had asked the question even while squinting into the shadows.

It was Wind Scribe that took the lead on this one and stepped forward to answer back. “Uh, I am Wind Scribe and this is Azure of Cloudsdale. Who is asking?” A moment passed and no reply came and the two pegasi almost started to think that they were just hearing voices. That theory was soon dispelled with the mirage like image of a pony walking calmly from behind where the voice had come from.

It was like watching a veil of heat rolling over a cloud to show its outline to the viewer on a hot summer day. The illusion dropped and both pegasi were in awe to find that it was actually a unicorn that stood before them. Though not just any unicorn, but a unicorn of the royal guard clad in the all important golden armour. Then again, with another glance over the haggarded looking stallion revealed that he was not wearing the entire uniform of the royal equestrian guard. His hoof guards were nowhere to be seen and he lacked his oriental saddle that should have been resting across his back. Odd as this was, it did not hinder his striking appearance and authoritative stance that came with years of training in the guard.

“I must ask you to lay down your saddle bag and step five paces back,” The unicorn commanded.

“Wait, why?” Azure instantly retorted. The guard threw his dagger like glare at Azure with full intensity. The poor young pegasus crumbled under the gaze and retreated back.

“You may not ask questions until I am done inspecting your possessions.”

‘A security check?’ Wind Scribe thought. ‘Why would he need to do that? And for that matter, what is a member of the royal guard doing all the way out in the middle of the woods?’

Though rather than argue with the unicorn, Wind Scribe set the saddle bag down thinking that he would be able to get some answers once the guard was done. “Azure, do as he says. It’s just a security check.”

“But what if he’s a Changeling?” Azure whispered under his breath.

Wind Scribe suddenly realized his mistake. Even in his wiser years, he had made a naive decision. He mentally berated himself for such a stupid oversight and thought quickly. “Ok, if he tries anything, we take off and head north. I saw a large cumulonimbus that we can hide in if this is a trap.”

Azure nodded softly to acknowledge Wind Scribe’s plan and followed him in his back step away from the saddle bag on the ground.

“That’s far enough,” the unicorn said, the two pegasi stopped having been able to take a few more steps away in their retreat. The unicorn reached out with his magic and plucked the saddle bag up from between them all. His magic extended further in, extracting each of the individual contents of the bag and setting it on the ground after inspecting it.

“Wind Scribe,” Azure whispered, gaining the the older stallion’s attention, “If we take off now, he may not have enough time to react.” Wind Scribe almost called his companion crazy until he remembered what he had said earlier and reconsidered. His wings ruffled unconsciously against his sides at the idea of taking to the skies. Judging by the soft breeze, they would have a far enough lead to out fly a single opponent.

Right, all he had to do was let Azure know that he was ready to go. That is, until a large shadow passed overhead. Distracted by the disturbance, Wind Scribe looked up and felt his ears fold back, ‘Shoot’. Up in the air, another pony, a pegasus was circling the trio in the woods. This one only wore pieces of armour as well, a chestpiece and hoof guards, but indistinguishably a royal guard.

Looks like the ‘royal guards’ had thought clearly ahead in the event that they encountered another pegasus. With the aerial guard above and the unicorn on the ground, there was no guarantee that the runaways would get away. They could try to fight, but Wind Scribe was only kidding himself. Him, a scholar and Azure, a Snowflake producer, take on two members of the royal guard? Though the downcasting thought was soon dismissed as the unicorn coughed and began to replace the saddlebag’s possessions. He gave a glance to the sky, or specifically, to the pegasus circling the woods above and waited for his companion to meet him on the ground.
“Now,” the unicorn addressed the two pegasi, “I see you are not in possession of anything suspicious, but I must ask you two to wait just a few more minutes while verify one last thing.”


“One last thing?” Azure repeated.



The unicorn lowered his horn, pointing it directly at the two pegasi. Wind Scribe felt a cold grip on his spine, urging him to flee but stood firm. Azure looked about the same, trying desperately to not show his limbs were shaking. Then the spell was cast. A haze of dark yellow, almost gold aura encircled the group of ponies. Azure and Wind Scribe had expected the spell to be some direct-projection like enchantment, but what they came to realize that the unicorn was merely bowing his head in concentration. A sort of warmth invaded the pegasi’s beings, pleasant and encompassing, like a freshly washed blanket. It was over as quickly as it had started and the spell dissipated along with the alluring warmth.

The Unicorn look back up, relieved, “Alright, you may come with us.” He turned on his hoof along with his pegasus counterpart and began trotting away.

“Wait,” Azure caught up first to ask, “Where are we going?”

The unicorn craned his neck over his shoulders, a genuine smile on his face, “To safety.”

--o0o--

Wind Scribe could almost cry. Before him was what anypony could have considered a haven even though it was just simply a refugee camp. Sure it was situated in the midst of the town they had come to know as Shade Hollows, but it was well more than refreshing to see a community of ponies living together again. Azure’s jaw dropped in awe. A sense of security and familiarity filling both the stallions hearts with overwhelming comfort at seeing such a bastion of hope.

“Come along you two,” the unicorn guard said, “We’ll see to your accommodations.” Azure and Wind Scribe fell back in behind the guards to follow them through the camp. Wind Scribe observed the town with a curious eye, taking in everything he could. Most of the ponies definitely looked like the locals that you expect from a rural area. Though there were those that gave off the air of aristocrats and other such blue bloods. Canterlotians, perhaps? Azure on the other hoof was too enthralled in the community to watch where he was going and ended up bumping into somepony else.

“Oomph!” “Aah!”

“Oh jeez, I’m sor- sorry?” Azure attempted at an apology, though his thoughts became distracted at the mare he had unwittingly knock into. His cheeks burned slightly as he peered at the dusky gray mare with straight purple mane and tail. She seemed a bit dazed from the impact, but was recovering quickly “I, uh, excuse me miss. Um here, let me help you with your things.” Azure immediately went to work on gather up the groceries the mare had dropped after the encounter.

“Urgh, that’s ok. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.” The mare picked herself up and helped Azure to pick up the last of the groceries. “Thank you though for helping me pick up my things.”

The cute looking mare gave Azure a warm smile and graciously accepted the bags of groceries he offered, “Heh, no problem. It was my pleasure.” The vibrant glow of his cheeks growing a little brighter. “If you’d like, I can help you carry those to where you need them.”

The purpled maned pegasus, which Azure happened to noticed upon her wings, finished rearranging her saddle bag on her back and shook her head, “No thanks, I’ve got this taken care of.”

“Auntie Shade, come on,” a young, scrappy unicorn filly ran by the two pegasi, “We’re gonna be late if we don’t hurry up.”

“Ok Snare, just slow down a bit. Thank you so much again with these groceries.” The purple maned pegasus smiled toward Azure. “Maybe I’ll see you around, bye.”

The mare turned away and cantered off after the filly leaving Azure to wave his own goodbye, “Um yeah, goodbye.”

“Azure,” Azure jumped at the sound of his name being called by Wind Scribe, “Come on, the guards said they have some room for us over this way.”

“Yeah, sure. On my way.” Azure galloped after his companion to follow the guards once more to their temporary quarters.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment