• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 1,196 Views, 11 Comments

Macelon Forever - Improved Flavor



After a particularly bad day caused by the ponies of Ponyvile, An odd trio find themselves very, very far away, and uninterested in returning.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,196

Too Close

For every morning for the past few months, Spike had been able to find a relief from his hours of chores, assistant duties to various ponies, and of course, making sure Twilight didn't pull her mane out hair by hair. Ever since he had become friends with Pipsqueak, his new friend had been finding things to do for them every day in spare time they had in the early mornings. Pip had grown from a little foal enjoying his first Nightmare Night to a 15 year old colt, but it seemed that the time to mature hadn't had an effect on a true carefree spirit.

“Hey Spike! You're late ya Firelizard!” He had said with a wide grin as Spike finally arrived at their lake with the fishing gear. While they had done everything from relieving Sugarcube Corner of it's inventory at the first sign of opening time, to hanging out with the former Cutie Mark Crusaders, recently it had been fishing that was happening the most. And there was a very good reason for that.

“You must be running low by now, it's been nearly a week since we've been out here.” Pip said as he and Spike started to make their way to their favorite fishing spot.

Spike replied “Yeah. I am kind of running out of food. Only had gems yesterday...” he trailed off as they sat down and started setting up with a practiced detachment. In no time at all the pair had sat down, backs to each other and lines in the water. Spike had grown to just over the size of a pony, though he remained regrettably wingless. And that was where his problem laid, he was a growing dragon and growing dragons didn't get to be ten stories tall on daises and carrots.

Fish was starting to grate on him but it was all he still felt comfortable eating. Not necessarily because he was against killing animals to eat, but because of his friends... just what would they think? And one pony in particular had him worried...

“Hey Pip?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you think Fluttershy will be afraid of me once I'm grown? And what about the others?”

Pip shook his line a little bit. “Aw come on, you've grown up here Spike, everypony knows you wouldn't hurt a parasprite. I don't think they're gonna turn on you for something you can't change. But you know you can't stick with just fish forever.” He spoke truth. Spike had been putting off adding any kind of meat that wasn't fish to his diet.

“And there's that too. Fluttershy would die of a heart attack if I ate anything cute.”

“Well, what does she think isn't cute?”

“Fish.”

“...Ah.”

The brief exchange triggered another silence. Spike broke it again. “I'm just afraid I'm going to get thrown out of town eventually. Whether because I ate something from the forest that Fluttershy was taking care of, or because I'm bigger then everyone and they think I'm going to eat them.”

Pip pulled his line out of the water and turned back to Spike. “That ain't gonna happen. Twilight wouldn't let 'em, and besides, if they do try to run you out of town, I'll stick with ya. Promise.” He held out his hoof. Spike smiled and fist-bumped him. And with that, it was sealed.


“So Fluttershy...”

“Yes?” The pink haired mare said, not taking her eyes off the baby bunnies she was leaning over. Fluttershy had a hoofful of baby carrots and was trying to make sure each adorable little bunny was fed the same number.

“I was just wondering about something about animals.”

Fluttershy looked up with a smile. It wasn't that often someone stopped by to learn about animals, and Spike just didn't come by on his own often either.“Well, you've come to the right pony Spike. What is it you want to know?”

“Well, some animals eat other animals, right?”

Fluttershy's smile faded a bit. “Well, y-yes... they do. They're called carnivores, and they have sharp teeth for it, and claws for catching prey...” She said with a shudder, keeping to an academic definition.

“Uh huh... Well...” Spike paused. How to approach the situation delicately... Just come out and say it? 'Fluttershy, the taste of flesh, particularly of your beloved creatures makes my heart skip a beat. I'm over Rarity now, all I love now is dripping, bloody meat?' That one might not go over so well.

“Well, Fluttershy, are there any carnivores that are... like ponies? You know, talking and... stuff?”

Fluttershy thought a moment. “Only a few, and I don't think any live around here... apart from d-dragons...” She shivered again “O-oh, no offense Spike, I wasn't talking about you... since you only eat... gems, and fruits and vegetables... I meant big scary dragons.”

“...I know...” That tore it. Spike kept a straight face, but inside he let out a heavy sigh. He was too afraid to question further. But, he reminded himself, it wasn't the end of the world... he knew somepony that would be on his side... He hoped. “Anyway, gotta go Fluttershy, thanks for the chat!” He called, summoning up the courage and ran out the door, Fluttershy watching him run out of sight through her window.

“I hope he's okay... I hope he doesn't... give in or anything, once he's grown up.”


Rarity had to understand. They had been through a lot, hadn't they? Even if she didn't return his affections, she clearly cared deeply for him. There was no way she'd hate him for it.

“Oh, just leave that roll there... and please get me a handful of sapphires, darling.” Rarity crooned after Spike finished bringing back the black fabric she had asked for.

“Hey, Rarity, can I ask you a question?” Spike started for the third time today since this morning, fishing with Pip.

“Of course dear. Ask me anything you like!”

“Uh, Rarity, what are your thoughts on other dragons...?” Spike realized that had nothing to do with what he was getting at, but he was going to let it go. He could steer from here.

Rarity shook her head. “Oh, Darling, I'm afraid I do not like them at all. There are just some things that you have they don't that I simply cannot stand the absence of... appreciation of beauty, and the... noble behavior that characterizes you, and they have some of the most ghastly of habits.” She said, taking care of a few difficult little stitches here and there and sewing in one of the nicer sapphires.

While her compliments had predictably made his heart soar, the mention of "ghastly habits" worried him slightly. “What kind of habits do you mean?”

Rarity snipped off a bit of thread. “Like laying about all day on a pile of gems.. when those gems could be used for a lovely outfit by me, or made into jewelry, or even be eaten! But no, they just hoard them all day to be used as a bed...” The ivory colored fashionista paused to concentrate on her work as she very carefully brought two insignificant pieces of fabric to be wed together. Now she just had to finish her work on the gems. But she wasn't done yet with the rant Spike had gotten her started on. “Ooooh! And all that nasty smoke, just pumping it out into the air like they don't care, I'm so glad you can control yourself, dear.” Spike was beginning to feel a bit better... Someday he would produce a lot more smoke, but he was sure that Twilight would have some way to help him with it. It did not concern him now.

“But it really sends shivers up my spine...” She began again, getting Spike's attention again. “The dietary habits. I can hardly stand it when cats and dogs must eat meat, Spikey, oooh, it just makes me feel so... queasy.” She seemed finished with this one. Spike stared down at the sapphire still in his hand, feeling his shoulders raise and fall with each breath.

Rarity took the finished product off of her worktable and quickly pulled it over herself, modeling a fashionable black cloak, inlayed with dark sapphires. It even had a hood to pull up over your head if you wanted to look dark and mysterious. And that's just what she did before she turned back to present a profile view to her part time assistant. “So, Spikey-Wikey, what do you think? A little too much for something so utilitarian?” When no answer came, she pulled down the hood hesitatingly, glancing around and calling “Spike, Dear?”

Spike had already gone, somehow sneaking out silently while she put the outfit on. She was a bit disappointed, but more concerned. Could it be... could it be that Spike had a little pile of gems at home that he liked to sleep in? That would just be awful, she couldn't go without her little assistant's help. She made a note to stop by to formally apologize once she had finished putting the cloak away...


Ever since he got back from Rarity's, Spike hadn't the courage to ask his other friends about his issue. It would have been one thing if Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash had a problem with it, he wasn't especially close to either of them, but this was Rarity. Rarity, the mare he had been crushing on for years. Rarity, the most beautiful, the classiest pony he had ever met, The Element of Generosity, and the pony he had been employed part time by for the past couple years had confessed she was disgusted by something he must do or die.

Spike lay on his bed alone upstairs, staring at the library's ceiling. It was calmingly quiet now, and he found himself... unwilling to simply cry and be done with it. After all, he was too old to cry. The sound of a clock pendulum ticking back and forth, the sound of birds in the distance, the sound of wind blowing through the leaves of their home... Listening to all of this was slowly lulling him to sleep until the door opened and slammed shut. That would be Twilight.

“Spike, I'm back. Sorry I was gone, I got held up at the post office talking to Ditzy, you know how it is.” She called from downstairs. “Spike, where are you?”

Spike knew he should have answered that, but he just kept quiet and stayed laying in bed for now, dazed from being woken up. He guessed that he really had fallen asleep after all. Twilight was already trotting up the stairs.

“Spike, are you home- Oh there you are!” Twilight ran over to his bed and blinked. “Is something wrong? Are you sick?”

Now he had to talk. “No...” it didn't sound very convincing with how scratchy his voice sounded, of course. Now she probably thought he had Lizard Flu. “Just...”

“Just what? No, don't talk, rest up and I'll get to work on some medicine. ...Er, can you tell me where I left the book of dragon illness?”

Spike pulled himself up to a sitting position. “No, no, I'm not sick Twilight. I was just thinking about something.” He said after clearing his throat. He was still in a haze from sleeping. How long had he been out? “Twi, I think... everypony's going to hate me if I start eating meat.”

Twi whipped her head around to him “Where would you get that idea? I mean, there's no way your... our friends are just going to abandon you because of something like that... as long as you don't eat anything that talks that is.”

“I don't know about that Twi...” Spike stretched as he got off the bed. “I talked to Fluttershy and Rarity earlier... Neither of them seemed too tolerating of the concept...” That caught Twilight's attention. Rarity? She knew how hard that was going to be on him.

“Oh Spike... I'm sure it's going to be different. You're not a stranger to them. You can't change something like this, so... they'll just have to accept you. And they're good ponies. I'm sure they will.”

They stayed quiet for a while after that as Spike dozed off to sleep again.


Fluttershy landed at Sweet Apple Acres and tucked her wings back in carefully. It was about the end of the harvesting season, and Applejack would surely be around here. She heard the sound of applebucking from her right and could see her friend a little way away. Applejack noticed her around the same time and approached in a slow trot. “Well, first time Ah've seen you around here in a while, Fluttershy. What can Ah do for ya?” Applejack at least appeared to be in high spirits, adjusting her stetson to look Fluttershy in the eye.

“Well, I'm a bit worried...” She paused. It was kind of a delicate subject. To her, anyway, and she felt all of the sudden nervous about talking about it. Normally she would have gone to see Rarity about it, but she didn't like to bother her while she was working... Applejack was always willing to talk but Rarity could get irritated at interruptions. “I'm a bit worried about Spike.”

Applejack's smile fell. So there was a problem. “What's the matter with him?”

“Well, he came to my house earlier, and he was asking about... carnivores.” Fluttershy lowered her head involuntarily. “And I'm worried he might have been trying to tell me h-he's eating m-meat...” She shivered as she finished. The thought was worrying her.

Applejack looked at Fluttershy in the same way one would look at someone that asked if it was true the little firelizard had a crush on Rarity. “Well shoot, izzat so? Better keep this between you an' me, or Pinkie's gonna try to throw 'im a first hunt party or somethin'. Wouldn't want that to happen now would we?”

Fluttershy stomped a hoof and glared. “This is serious, Applejack! What if he eats my animals!? Or-or if he hunted ponies when he got old enough-” Applejack stopped her right there, throwing her hat over Fluttershy's face to shut her up.

“Now listen here. Ah'm not gonna let yer imagination run away with ya on this one. Have some faith in 'im. He's Spike, for goodness sake, a dragon raised by Celestia herself and around ponies his whole life. He's not gonna eat any ponies, Ah promise. And as for animals, would ya rather he starve to death, or eat?” She gave the question bluntly. Maybe it wasn't the best way, but Fluttershy needed to get over that dragon fear before Spike grew up, one way or another.

“B-But...”

“Nope, no buts. Ah'm not gonna have you hurtin' his feelings about this. Got it?” Fluttershy nodded. “Good. Now later we can go have a talk with him, but fer now Ah gotta finish up this row a' trees.”

Fluttershy left the mare to her work and fluttered off back home. The wind was chilly that day.

Applebloom peeked out from behind a tree. So Spike was eating meat now, or something? She was gonna have to tell the other two about this.


“Yep, I heard all about it when they were talkin'! Spike's gonna be changing to eatin' meat soon.” Applebloom reported. “Said he'd starve if he doesn't.”

Sweetie Belle shrugged. “Well, I don't know what the big deal is. Spike's a good guy, and a dragon's gotta eat, just like the rest of us.”


“...And he's gonna go hunting in Everfree and eat Manticores and stuff, just so they'll think twice about bothering Ponyville when Spike's on guard duty!” Scootaloo related her much cooler sounding story to Rainbow Dash.

“He's growing up, Pinkie, Soon he'll be like, a hundred feet tall and Ponyville will have it's very own Dragon Guard!” Rainbow said in between the muffins Pinkie had gotten her.

“...But it's gonna be a surprise, so don't tell him I'm planning a 'Congratulations on your first hunt, Spikey' party for him! I mean, it's a big milestone for a little dragon, I'm sure!” Pinkie bounced in place while she described her plans to the Cakes, who looked at each other in concern.

“...I hope Fluttershy's going to be okay, it would just break her heart if Spike ate something she had as a pet.” Mrs. Cake said to Lyra at the laundromat while loading a mass of aprons into a washer.

“You mean that kid that hangs out with Twilight is a dragon? I thought he was a lizard!” Bon Bon exclaimed as Lyra explained the situation to her.

“I can't believe it, I heard that he's tasted pony once before in another town.” Carrot Top said while buying some flowers at Roseluck's.

“We've got to do something... think of the foals!” A shaking, fearful Lily said to a small crowd that had gathered to listen to her.


Spike had gone back to sleep and was resting comfortably after a little while of listening to the quiet tick-tock of the clock again. Downstairs Twilight looked carefully through a book about the diet of a dragon. Mostly she wanted to find some proof that Spike would be perfectly fine without pony in his diet, or even maybe something that could let him live on a vegetarian diet, though she knew that one was a long shot. Sure was some noise coming from outside though.


Rarity had been a bit late. She had meant to run over to the library as fast as she could, to get there and apologize to Spike, begging forgiveness for her rudeness. But halfway there she had realized it might be better to bring a nice gem to help cheer him up afterward. Not just any gem of course, she had to go and find one, the nicest, brightest, most perfect one she could. A dark red ruby that even she thought looked awfully appetizing. But so focused was she on how nice said jewel was that she walked right into somepony standing outside the library. She was about to excuse herself when she noticed the noise of a crowd, all standing outside Ponyville Library... Now just what was going on here!? She waded into the crowd and somewhat roughly tapped on the shoulder of a stallion that had been silently standing. “Just what is the meaning of this!?” She was in a bad mood now. First she offended her prized assistant. Then she spent too much time looking for this gem to apologize with, now she can't get to him because of some sort of flash mob gathered outside his house. Could this day get any worse?

“We're trying to run off the pony-eating monster that lives here, that's what!” Came the equally snappy answer from the colt.

As a matter of fact, the day could get quite a bit worse.


Twilight showed no sign of fear of the crowd as she stepped out of her home and shut the door violently behind her. She glared at the assembled ponies. “Now just what is your problem?”

A mare in the front of the mob took the lead in answering. “We want that menace out of our town!” She said with venom, hooves planted far apart in the ground like she was expecting an attack. It was a very real concern to her, considering just who she was talking to.

What menace.” Twilight's question came out more like a statement. It was clear that she was not sympathetic to their cause. A few ponies backed away a step or two in fear of Twilight preparing some kind of spell. Their leader was not deterred.

“That pony-eating dragon, of course! First it tastes blood from squirrels and boars, then it moves on to larger prey, and then it's only a matter of time before it starts snacking on our foals!”

Inside, Spike was shivering in fear. All those ponies out here were here because of him, and they wanted to hurt him. They wanted to drive him off out of fear. They called him an it. He wondered if it would hurt to take a look out the window again. Spike stayed down low to the ground and slinked on all fours to a window and lifted a blind carefully to see. He didn't know any of these ponies. He might have seen them around town sometimes but their names were mostly unknown to him. A shopkeeper he had seen here and there, and Rarity. Rarity?

Yes, a double-take confirmed Rarity's place in the crowd. He dropped the blind and jumped away from the window in a fright, a pressure in his ears drowning out the sound of the crowd outside. He had really done it now, should have kept this whole thing to himself. But it was too late now and those hate-filled ponies out there were not going to leave until he did.

Well he was going to.


Twilight slammed the door behind her again, shutting out the idiots outside. There was no way she was going to let some specists run her best friend out of town. He was staying right here with her. “Spike? Spike, there's nothing to be afraid of...” She tried to strike a balance between soft and comforting and loud enough for him to hear her over the racket. Not getting any answer she trotted up the stairs... and gasped. Spike wasn't there, the back window was open, and Spike's lucky gem hoard was gone, along with a quill, inkwell, and a stack of parchments. In their place on the writing desk was a short message, hastily scribbled out.

Twilight:

I had to go so you'd be safe. I can't handle this kind of thing anyway.

I'll write you, and send letters to Celestia for you.

I love you,

Spike

Twilight's hooves shook as she leaned over the desk reading it again and again. Those ponies out there had driven her beloved little brother away. She knew she shouldn't have acknowledged them by going out there, and should have stayed in with Spike.

Celestia was going to hear about this.


Spike hadn't really bothered to keep track of time as he ran, but now that he glanced up he realized that it was about noon when he first ran and now the sun was now firmly in the afternoon range. Had he been running for almost an hour now? He slowed down to a stop... and realized he must have, given how his legs gave out instantly underneath him and his chin connected with the ground hard enough to make him forget his name for a second.

The next thing he was aware of was that somepony was tapping his side with their hoof, but he didn't have much in the way of energy for getting up and whacking them, so he just settled for a growl.

“Well good morning to you too, Spike.” Pip said, waking Spike up the rest of the way.

“Pip, how did you get out here...?” Spike panted out, still very winded from the marathon he had accidentally ran.

Pip sat back on his haunches and prepared to regale the dragon with his amazing tale. “Well, I was coming back home from an errand and I saw this crowd gathered outside your house and they seemed pretty mad, and I saw you run off out your back window, so I decided to follow you. I made a promise, remember?” Pip held up his right hoof to illustrate his point. He wasn't about to go back on a promise if it meant a little running around.

“And you ran miles without being winded... how?”

Pip continued smiling, rolling his shoulders as if the little stroll had only tired out his front legs a bit. “Earth Pony. I've been doing some part time work at Sweet Apple Acres in the summer... really helps you get into shape Spike. Oh, about that errand...” Pip reached into a saddlebag and pulled out a sack, setting it down next to the dragon. “You seemed so down this morning, I took the fish we caught, scaled and cooked em, and I even found a couple gems for dessert. I know you're not too big a fan of fish, but I just wanted to help...”

Spike pulled the bag open a bit and peered inside. There were some shapes wrapped in foil he assumed were the fish, and a smaller bag filled with bite sized little gemstones. “Wow Pip, I don't know what to say... I could sure use a good lunch. I'm starving. Thanks!” He looked up from the bag to give Pip a toothier smile then he intended before he started eating.


Spike experimentally stretched his limbs after taking some time to digest, finding that he didn't seem to have hurt anything. He probably shouldn't have expected that he might be hurt, dragons are made of tough stuff after all, but that running sure took a lot of energy. Maybe he'd be in a bit better shape after some time on the road. “Alright Pip, guess it's time for us to get going. If you have any reason whatsoever to go back home-”

Pip cut him off. “No way. I'm sticking with you, Spike. Can't let you go on an adventure alone.” Pip didn't seem to really grasp the gravity of the situation, but he failed in such a way that made Spike wonder if he himself did.

So without another word the pair started on their way forward into the unknown. The sun sank lower down the sky as evening started approaching, casting a yellow hue onto the countryside. In time, fields of trees and wildflowers and pastures of tall grass gave way to cultivated fields. Spike didn't like the idea of going to any further pony settlements, after the way ponies he had known for so long had treated him, but it looked like it would be the only way to go, with Pip still with him. He couldn't very well make the colt live a life of isolation like dragons do, could he? But then again, he didn't have a high opinion of the dragon lifestyle himself. They were going to find a way.

Pip stopped short as they crossed through a wood. “Hear that?” he whispered.

Spike crept closer to Pip and listened. Sure enough, there was some kind of sound he just couldn't put a finger on. It sounded kind of like magic being performed. Who the hay was out here in a wood practicing magic? Well, it couldn't hurt to go check... if anything, if they were friendly he could ask about any settlements nearby that might be sympathetic to a homeless dragon and a pony. He was already coming up with little fake species to claim to be. Think nopony would look up the word 'Drake'?

Pip was already sneaking off the path and into the trees to find the mystery magician, Spike following. As they got closer, Spike was able to identify the sound better; it was somepony attempting and failing a spell. Whoever it was was either a terrible magician or trying to cast a very difficult spell.

At the edge of a clearing, Spike was sure that they were right on top of their mystery unicorn, they must have been right there. The unicorn started up another attempt at the spell that seemed to carry on longer then before... just as Pip shot Spike a look and jumped into the clearing. Like an idiot.

What did he think was going to happen, scaring a unicorn mid-spell? This could only end badly. Spike was going to have to go in after him, hopefully fast enough to pull him away before something horrible happened. Unfortunately for Spike, a vengeful root tripped him and he fell flat on his face in the middle of the clearing, looking up to see a very startled... Trixie?

“Wh-” was all she was able to get out before they blinked out of existence, taking Spike, both ponies, Trixie's wagon, and about a foot of dirt underneath them somewhere far away, only leaving a perfectly round crater in the middle of the woods behind.

Author's Note:

I don't feel like this chapter resembles what I want the rest of the story to be like but I suppose that's just what beginnings are. I still tried my best. Please tell me anything I did wrong in the comments!