• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 987 Views, 20 Comments

The Fallen Solar Stallion - GaleWind



When a stallion from the past is given a second chance, can he move on or will an old enemy bring forth a 1,000 year vengeance

  • ...
5
 20
 987

Judgment

In a solar training ground, Burst Spear had just bested his little brother, Blitz Shield, for the tenth time in a row. The soldiers that saw this took it as a daily routine because the brothers sparred with each other on a daily basis, with the older winning every time.

“I believe that thou have lost again, little brother”

“Blast it, I could never win even when we were colts just learning to walk” shield argued. Spear just chuckled and bopped his little brother on the head.

“Thou have wings, use them properly and I promise thou will best me next time” Spear said assuring to his brother the truth. Shield just nodded, shook hooves and went on to practice.

Burst Spear had just been promoted to the rank of general by the solar princess herself after being in the solar guard for three years when he and his brother joined at the same time. Blitz Shield was climbing the ranks just as fast and was almost a general himself, making them the two youngest stallions in history to gain it.

The moon was just risen by Celestia because her sister has turned into an evil ruler due to the jealousy of ponies enjoying the day more than the night. The war between her and her own army called lunar stallions has been increasing and he knows he’ll be called on again for another battle but, not before going home to say goodbye to his wife and daughter, Spring Flower and Rose Tip.

He stopped at his home and opened the door expecting them to be waiting but, only heard silence. He sensed a presence and saw something on the floor that made him cry out in sadness.

“SPRING FLOOOOWER!!!”

That was the way all his nightmares began. Ever since he was cursed, all the things that he failed to do played out in his mind over and over until he knew what would happen next at what time and what place.

“Do ya think he’s alright, he hasn’t been awake since yesterday?” Applejack asked with concern in her voice. The girls had taken him to the library by orders of the princesses. They wanted to know more about the so called: Traitor. Twilight’s assistant Spike had brought the girls tea and everyone were wondering what to do next when something caused them to spit the tea out.

“AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!” Burst Spear jolted up screaming at the top of his lungs, awakening from the nightmare. Fluttershy yelped in shock and hid behind Rainbow Dash who was stunned by the sudden outburst. He had calmed and just sat there shaking.

“You okay, sugercube?” Applejack asked, wondering if the stallion was alright. He blinked and looked to where the voice came from. It came from the orange mare with the Stetson hat from yesterday and behind her was two Pegasus, two unicorns and a pink earth pony mare who right in front of him.

“HI, I’M PINKIE PIE. THAT WAS SUPER DUPER AWSOME THE WAY YOU SAVED APPLEBLOOM AND BEAT THAT MEANY HYDRA AN-,” she was silenced by the purple unicorn using magic to close her mouth.

“Pinkie, calm down okay. He’s just waking up so let him get adjusted,” Twilight told her pink friend. She nodded quickly and smiled so wide that the stallion did not think it was possible. After composing himself, he sat on his haunches and scanned the area, noticing all the books and his staff propped against the book case.

“Well now that you’re awake, we can introduce ourselves. My name is Twilight Sparkle and this is Spike, my assistant,” the purple unicorn said and pointed to the small dragon.

“Hi”

“My name’s Applejack, thank ya kindly for saving my sister yesterday” said the orange earth pony.

“Rainbow Dash, nice to meet you,” said the cyan Pegasus with the rainbow mane.

“Hello, my name is Rarity,” said the white unicorn.

“My...name…is…Fluttershy,” said the yellow Pegasus with a small voice.

All the ponies and the dragon introduced themselves and before one of them could say anything else, he raised his hoof, asking them to be quiet.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I know you are here,” he said with a blank face. Everyone in the room were shocked when he said that and that both princesses walked down steps and stood in front of him.

“Your sensitivity to magic is still as sharp as ever” the solar princess said with a small smile. Both princesses were a bit shocked when they saw him bow to them.

“First, I am pleased to see that the evil has been purged from you, Princess Luna and it is nice seeing you again as well, Princess Celestia,” he said with respect. They were surprised that he knew about the conflict of Nightmare Moon’s return.

“How did you know of our return?” Princess Luna asked.

“The curse that was put on me allowed me to hear everything around me even though I was encased in stone. I have heard from travelers the exploits the elements of harmony have accomplished from your return to the crystal empire’s freedom and also everything else,” he said shocking everyone in the room on his knowledge of the elements of harmony and modern times.

“I have also heard of the stories they told when I could hear them. One of those stories hit me harder than the rest,” he said. Princess Celestia knew the story he meant, the story of his betrayal. Before she could respond, the door flew open and Blitz Bolt stomped towards Burst with anger in his eyes.

“I wouldn’t come any closer soldier or you’ll walk into the barrier around me,” Burst said as he stuck his hoof out and made contact with a magic force field. Bolt just stared at him angrily, snarled and stormed out passed Shining Armor, who tried to stop him.

“Forgive me Princess, he just got past me,” he said bowing his head. Burst Spear turned his head to her asked one question.

“That stallion is Blitz Shield’s descendent, isn’t he? He asked knowingly and Celestia just nodded to confirm. Two solar stallions that came in after Bolt left and Armor raised an eyebrow.

“Forgive me but, how do you know of Blitz Shield?” Shining Armor asked.

“I know him because he was my little brother,” he said. Armor’s eyes went wide upon hearing this.

“Your brother but, the history books said he was an only child!” he proclaimed. Burst raised an eyebrow this time but, then a sad realization struck him and he closed his eyes.

“After he was promoted to General, he demanded that my name to be destroyed from our family records didn’t he, Celestia?” he asked. She sadly nodded, which caused a sad look to come to everyone’s face in the room, especially to one mare who took family seriously.

Shining Armor and the two guards saluted and went back outside. The princess got rid of the barrier around him which surprised her sister and waited for he might do. Burst opened his eyes halfway and pressed the lunar medallion on his chest and in a bright flash which caused the guards to re-enter; the sound of retracting armor could be heard.

When the light was gone and everyone in the room opened their eyes, what sat there was not a lunar stallion but, a stallion with a yellow coat and a short white mane and tail with blue eyes. His cutie mark: a spear head in front of an explosion of sparks had returned. He took the medallion off, held it in his right hoof and presented it to Princess Luna.

“This belongs to you, Princess,” he said. Luna levitated it out of his hoof and looked at it.

“Thank you, Burst Spear. We shall keep it with us for the time being,” she said. Burst got up and walked to where his staff was resting and picked it up. Everyone got worried and the guards readied themselves for the worst but, he held it in both his hooves and presented itself to Celestia.

“This no longer belongs to me princess,” he said as she levitated it out of his hooves. She stamped in on the ground and the spear tip came. She used magic to separate the two and gave the staff back.

“It is no longer a weapon of war. It is just a tool of defense in capable hooves,” she said with a smile. He bowed, took the medal of his staff, placed on the ground and slammed his staff onto it, shattering it to pieces.

“That was also a remnant of a past best left forgotten,” he said which earned a smile from Luna. He placed his staff on a sash he wore underneath his armor on his back and then waited for a judgment to be given that decides his fate.

“Burst Spear, it is as you said about the past ‘best left forgotten’. I believe that you have much more to understand before you re-enter society. Twilight, would it be okay if you or one of the others allowed him to stay with you until he is ready,” she asked Twilight and her friends who were quiet up to this point.

“I guess that would be fine,” she said and turned around to ask each of her friends if he could stay with one of them.

“He could stay with me; it’ll be a thank you for saving Applebloom,” Applejack said with a smile. He thought for a minute and nodded at the agreement.

Celestia smiled and told Burst that she and her sister will be staying near the town for the competition between both guards ponies and will check on him each day to see his progress and to determine a final judgment. Everyone left for home and Applejack had him follow her to Sweet Apple Acers to her home. He overheard Pinkie Pie saying something about preparing a ‘Thanks for saving Ponyville and Applebloom from the hydra’ party. When he asked about her almost limitless energy, Applejack just chuckled and said it’s just pinkie being pinkie. The way to the farm silent until Applejack broke it.

“So, thanks for saving ma sister. I don’t know what I would have done if something happened to her,” she said.

“Think nothing of it Applejack; I am glad that she was unharmed. You really do care deeply for your family and that is true honesty,” he said with a small smile. She hid the hint of a small blush beneath her hat and wondered about him. She couldn’t believe he was as bad as the story told about him.

“Is it really true that you betrayed the princess during the war?” she had asked. His smile disappeared and he stopped in his tracks just right outside the farm. He turned to Applejack and answered her.

“I cannot tell you but, let’s just say that I was given a choice that I couldn’t refuse,” he said with a bit of sadness in his voice. Applejack could tell he was telling the truth and wondered what could have really happened to him that caused his betrayal.

The two of them past underneath the sign to the orchard and farm and Burst Spear saw apple trees miles long with no end in sight. Applejack noticed this and just chuckled at his expression. They neared the farm and three ponies outside waiting for them. He noticed Applebloom and guessed the other two were her family as well.

“You already met ma little sister and this is the rest of my family. The tall red one is ma big brother, Big Macintosh and the elderly green mare is Granny Smith,” she said as she pointed to each one of her family members. He shook hooves with her brother and bowed to her grandmother, thanking them for allowing him to be their guest in their home. He noticed Applebloom just staring at him and was surprised when she just ran up and hugged his leg tightly.

“Thanks for saving me yesterday mister,” she said with a smile after separating from his leg. He smiled and patted her head and swore he saw and image of Rose Tip in her place which brought a tear in his eye. Applejack noticed this and ushered everyone in for dinner. He was surprised by the vast quantities of apple based foods and the apple family appetite. While he was eating he asked what became of the hydra and Applejack told him that Fluttershy had help take care of it and return it to the swamp. He was shock to learn that the Pegasus he thought wouldn’t hurt a fly would be able to calm a giant beast.

After dinner was over, everyone went to bed and Applejack showed where he would sleep. He would sleep in the room across from her room.

“Before I go to sleep, I must thank you once again for allowing me to sleep in your home, Applejack”

“Think nothin of it, sugarcube,” she said again showing the hint of a blush before closing the door and going to bed.

Burst placed his staff against the wall and turned towards the bed for his first sleep in 1,000 years. Before going asleep, he shed a single tear while praying.

“Spring Flower, Rose Tip, I’m sorry for failing to protect you” he said while crying himself to sleep.

However, unknown to him Applejack had heard this while she was returning to her room after making sure her sister was asleep.

“Who’s Spring Flower and Rose Tip?”