• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 1,695 Views, 26 Comments

The Flour Trick - Grey Faerie



Discord gets in over his head when watching the bakery for the day.

  • ...
2
 26
 1,695

Baking is Fun!

It had been a few weeks since Discord's release, and in that time he had come to visit Ponyville very often. He liked seeing the still anxious looks on the citizen's faces. It made him feel like he was still the villain he felt himself to be. He also like visiting the residential Elements. Two in particular. Today, he was going to visit Pinkie Pie. She had some how convinced him to learn to bake.

A few weeks ago....

"Pinkie!" Discord yelled as he swept into the bakery.

"In here!" she yelled back. Discord moved further into the bakery. He could smell the freshly made desserts coming from the kitchen. "Hey there Discord! What's up?" Pinkie asked with a giggle.

"Ohh, I was just in town and looking for something fun to do, and who better to ask than the very element of laughter? So! what will it be today? Pranks? Gags? Making Twilight illiterate for the day or turning all her books into pure gibberish?" He said with enthusiasm.

"Baking!" Pinkie replied proudly, "I have to get a few orders done before the end of the day."

Discord face-palmed. "Baking?" he said with a little whine in his voice, "But that's boring!" He empathized by throwing himself over the counter.

Pinkie laughed again. "It's fun! Trust me on that. It can be more fun than you think." Discord looked at her unconvinced. "Come join me!! I could use the extra help!"

"Okay. But it better be fun or I'm out of here." he said resignedly. He got off of the counter and slumped into the kitchen.

"Great! First, I need you make the batter. It's just plain vanilla for now so it's suuuper easy." Pinkie laid out the ingredients. She showed him how to measure the different amounts needed, and when to add a certain ingredient in the process. "As you see, most recipes tell you just to put all the dry and wet stuff together, or in a certain order. Personally, I like putting the wet all together and then adding the dry. Okay! Now you stir!" passing the bowl filled with the slush of unmixed batter to him. "This is one of the most fun parts of baking!" Discord looked at the bowl in between his claw and paw.

"Really?" He said dryly.

"Yeah!" Pinkie then went to put on some music. "I love dancing around when stirring up a yummy pastry. Wee ~shake it and stir, don't spill a drop but let that booty pop~ Yay!" Chuckling, Discord joined in her impromptu dance party. They then set to filling the molds for cupcakes.

"These are just regular cupcake trays, but I love putting it into all different types of shapes! I once put cake batter into a decorative cookie sheet and they came out burnt." Pinkie chortled. "I had to put the temperature down a little, and have them in a little longer but!" Pinkie took in an enormous gasp, "Oh my gosh, they were sooo fluffy! You couldn't really see the front design very well but it didn't really matter. They were really fluffy super delicious cake cookies!"

Discord smirked, "Cake cookies? That does sound fun. Do you have any?"

She shook her head. "Ohh no, they take a lot of time because you can only fill the molds so much, and it takes longer than a regular cake or cookie. But I could probably make some for you when I'm not too busy."

"That would be wonderful. What's the next fun part hmm?" Discord asked.

"Well, frosting is, but we have to wait for the cupcakes to get done. For now, we'll start on the pies. I've gotten the crusts already made, so we don't have to worry about that." Pinkie replied. They set off to pouring the filling in and placing the crust on top. Pinkie showed him what designs to cut in, and even how to do a lanyard.

Soon the cupcakes were done. They pulled them out and set off to frosting them. Pinkie had to show Discord that there was a special way to frost the cupcakes. He had a rough start but got the hang of it pretty soon. "See! This was fun!" Pinkie said, "But obviously my favorite part is eating them. These though are for an order and I can't do that."

Discord looked at one of the more messier cupcakes. "Not even one?"

"No, everything is baked in dozens, and it would be hard, and wasteful to get out the ingredients for just one replacement cupcake." Discord grumpily nodded at this. It was understandable, but he still wanted to try one of the cupcakes he worked so hard to make. As much as he would hate to admit it, this mundane chore was, in fact, fun. There was a simple joy of mixing together random ingredients, and getting a delicious pastry at the end. But of course, he wouldn't admit that. The spirit of chaos is exciting! Beyond the norm! Like fireworks or upside down trees. Not baking cupcakes.

It had gotten late and, unfortunately, it was time to go. Discord stretched dramatically. "Well, this was interesting."

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." Pinkie remarked "I hope next time I'm not too busy so we can go pranking. Harmless pranks of course."

"Of course." Discord replied. He then got up to leave.

"And Dissy?"
Discord turned swiftly around at the question and the nickname. "Yes?"

"I think making all the books gibberish is a great idea. Though I think Twilight would probably die if she were illiterate."

"Heh, I agree." With that, he left the bakery.

Discord came back to Ponyville many times and caught Pinkie on a busy day a few times. On some of her free days she showed him some of the harder recipes. Pinkie wouldn't admit it, but she really enjoyed those times together. It was just a simple joy shared between friends. However, it was on one especially busy day when she would find out how Discord really felt about their time together.

Author's Note:

Hello! Thank you for reading my story. Sorry for it being so rough. It is my first story and any advice or suggested changes are welcome. Pinkie and Discord are going to seem a little OOC, but that's just because they can't be their normal fun loving selves. In this chapter particularity, you see Pinkie being more subdued as she's working. I tried to keep her in character by showing she has fun while working but she still knows when to cut out the play and get on task.