• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 13,747 Views, 309 Comments

Darkness within the Twilight - Mordy



Upon her first use of darkness its taste lingered within her mind, creating an ever growing thirst and revealing her true desires. With her recent elevation to an alicorn and princess she begins to find her desire for power insatiable.

  • ...
16
 309
 13,747

Ch2: Shadowed Mind

Darkness within the Twilight
By: Mordy

Ch2: Shadowed Mind

Twilight yawned and stretched her wings as she made her way over to her bed. She didn't stop till she heard the crack of knotted joints loosening up, causing a pleased sigh to escape her while she stared half lidded at her covers. Her gaze only left for a moment to the basket containing her sleeping dragon assistant, Spike, who was snoring lightly while snuggling his pillow.

It had been a long day after the hydra incident. After returning to Fluttershy’s cottage she and her friends sat down for some more honeysuckle tea and then went out for their regularly scheduled flight. By the end of the day she was flying at just above a foal’s level. It wasn’t much, but it was a step in the right direction. Or would that be a flap?

It didn’t matter now. All that mattered was getting into bed and return to dreamland where her imagination could soar into a realm of wonderful impossibilities. Forts made of books, animals that could talk, and where she could fly… well that last one wasn’t a big deal now seeing as she could actually fly, just not very well.

Twilight pulled down the sheets with her magic, not even thinking about the magic she had used on the hydra. She would leave that thought for another day. All she wanted right now was to sleep and enter the realm of dreams.

The moment she pulled the covers over her and rested her head on the pillow she was out like a light. Her mind drifted into a blissful state of being. Except that bliss didn’t last as long as she had hoped. For soon she found herself walking in a very familiar void of darkness in her coronation dress except it was now torn up.

She called out into the abyss, “Hello? Where… am… I?” She slowed down as the feeling of déjà vu hit her. It didn’t take her long to have all the memories of her previous dream assault her in full force. Twilight wasn’t surprised at what happened next.

“Not. So. Different,” Sombra called out from behind her causing Twilight to make a 180 to face him with a growl. He just grinned at her, his eye still scarred from their previous encounter, but it didn’t seem he was too sore about it.

“You!” Twilight glared at him before taking a deep breath to calm herself, “It’s just a dream. You’re not real, just a manifestation of my subconscious mind.”

Sombra grinned at her statement and chuckled, “Well, you’re half right. I can assure you I’m very real and this isn’t exactly a dream. Allow me to welcome you to your subconscious!”

Twilight just stared at him before looking all around and asked in disbelief, “This is my subconscious? It’s so… so…”

“Dark?” Sombra suggested with a twisted grin.

“I was gonna say empty,” Twilight replied as she returned her attention back to him and hardened her gaze once more.

Sombra opened and closed his mouth a few times till he sighed and started to wave his hoof in a circle, “Yeah… I’ve been very bored back here.”

A realization struck Twilight and she stomped toward Sombra while gritting her teeth trying to restrain her rage. Sombra actually leaned back as she got right in his face, “Are you telling me that you’ve been in my mind for a while?”

The dark king shifted his gaze for a moment and then lightly pushed her away from him to get a little more space. He then calmly replied, “Now, no need to get so angry. I understand why you’re upset, but really now. We can discuss this like civilized ponies, can’t we?”

“Do civilized ponies try to choke one another with tentacles?” Twilight retorted venomously.

Sombra waved his hooves in a manner suggesting her to calm down while he spoke, “Point taken. I already proved my point before so there’s no reason for me to resort to such uncouth manners again. Allow me to apologize to you my dear princess for putting you through such a horrifying experience. If you will accept my apology I will gladly answer any questions you might have,” he added a sincere smile at the end, but some of the sincerity was lost due to his sharpened canines making it look more predatory.

Twilight stared him down, studying his features and hiding her surprise that he had apologized. She wasn’t ready to forgive him, but she wanted answers. Releasing a heavy sigh she answered, “Fine, I’ll let it slide for now. So, you can start by telling me when and how you got into my head.”

Sombra gave a bow of gratitude and chortled, “Thank you, your highness! I am most grateful!” He then cleared his throat, “To answer your question, it began when you first cast dark magic within the Crystal Empire. The moment you did so, a small part of my mind was transferred into you. It became even easier when you opened my nightmare door,” he grinned toothily, “I’m sure you remember that bit of unpleasantness,” he watched as Twilight winced at the memories of her worst fears and then continued, “When my body was destroyed the rest of me was brought here. Surprisingly enough, my sanity was restored during this. Quite the stroke of luck!”

Twilight hummed to herself considering what he had told her. She wasn’t happy about the situation, but she would make due until she could hopefully be rid of him. It disturbed her he had been here this long without her notice. That thought brought up her next question, “Tell me, have you been messing with my thoughts?” She doubted he would admit to that if he had been.

“Please princess! Give me the benefit of the doubt. I dare not mess with my saviors mind!” Sombra placed his hoof against his chest and acted a bit dramatic. He wasn’t on Rarity’s level of drama, but it was a still a little over done.

“So… you haven’t been doing anything with my thoughts or memories?” She asked once more in an almost motherly tone trying to guilt trip him like a baby foul who didn’t know their mother already knew they done something bad.

Sombra looked a bit nervous and didn’t meet her gaze before he answered, “Well… I might have just been… peeking through some of your memories,” Twilight’s gaze soured at this admission before Sombra try to justify this, “In my defense, it is very dull back here and I was very curious about you. Which I must say I’m very impressed. You’re truly one of a kind,” Twilight blushed a little at his praise and eased her gaze slightly before he continued; “Also it’s my only entertainment. It’s either that, talk to myself, or see what you’re up to while you’re awake.”

“Wait, you can see what I’m doing while I’m awake?!” Twilight gulped, “Like… everything?” She said quietly while her face heated up in embarrassment.

“It’s not like I’m watching all the time!” Sombra quickly replied catching onto her worry, “I tend to look away during some of your more,” he coughed, “private matters…” Twilight released a sigh of relief at this admission, but it quickly become awkward again, “By the way, I found that conversation with your friend… what was her name… futashy?”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight corrected.

“Yes, her. If you want I could teach that tendril spell so you could help her explore that–”

“NO!” Twilight shouted waving her hooves frantically while she spread out her wings almost defensively. Sombra was a little taken aback by the outburst, but started to chuckle and Twilight realized she had just been the butt end of a joke. She took a more dignified position and cleared her throat, “I mean… no. I’d rather not go there.”

“As you wish,” He replied while still laughing with mirth.

Twilight huffed, “Okay, so why? Why now? Why have you remained quiet for so long and not done anything?”

Sombra tapped his chin a few times in thought before replying, “Honestly? I was waiting for the right moment.”

“What made this the right moment?” Twilight asked curiously.

“I wouldn’t call this the right moment, per say. It became more of a now or never ordeal. After you ascended I thought it would be unwise for me to remain quiet any longer and reveal myself. I figured it would just make you angrier when I finally unveiled myself. Angering an alicorn isn’t exactly a smart idea and I would know better than anypony,” he smiled sheepishly, but it would be more comparable with a timberwolf’s smile.

Twilight sighed, she saw the logic behind it, but that didn’t make her any happier. She had cooled off slightly, but wasn’t letting him off the hook and finally asked, “Alright, time for me to stop beating around the bush. What do you want?”

“Want? What makes you think I want something, your highness?” Sombra asked, feigning innocence.

His response received a snort from Twilight and she wasn’t too fond of him calling her his highness. “Don’t insult my intellect, Sombra. I know you want something, so stop playing dumb and just ask me already so I can tell you no.”

Sombra frowned and then raised his head with some haughty dignity, “Fine, there is something,” He trotted her side before he began to explain, “You see, I was always hoping to leave a legacy. I had always dreamed to leave my mark on the world or at the very least leave something behind. The crystal kingdom and my dark magics were to be it. I somewhat had hoped that my son would inherit them,” He stopped for a moment, reminiscing something that had long passed.

Twilight stopped him before he could continue, “You had a son?” she asked in disbelief.

“Hmm? Oh yes, Sunder Shadows was his name. I had high hopes for him, but he was away when I was banished into the shadows and I sealed my empire. No clue what happened to him. I’ll probably never know,” he sighed and became very melancholy at that moment and Twilight thought she saw a tear form in his eyes.

At that moment she suddenly felt pity. If her friend Applejack had taught her anything, it was that family was important. She then believed it would be better to change the subject, “So… what was it like in the shadows?”

Sombra was brought out of his sad reverie and turned to her, “Well, it’s sort of like this,” He motioned to the empty void around them, “A realm of emptiness. Nothing, but you and your own thoughts. No pony else to keep you company. It wasn’t too bad… at first. You just wander around trying to test and see if it really goes on forever. Then you just sit around sifting through your own thoughts. After you do that you begin to lose all concept of time until finally you begin to descend into madness,” he shuddered and was surprised when Twilight put a comforting hoof on his shoulder. She didn’t smile at him, but he was still grateful for the gesture and went on, “Why I went through your memories and watched you. I was afraid I’d have a relapse if I just sat here and did nothing.”

Twilight was beginning to feel more forgiving of him, but she wasn’t about to let her guard down. For now she wouldn’t hold it against Sombra until he proved otherwise. Still, she felt he wasn’t pulling her leg and really wanted to believe him.

Sombra cleared his throat, “I’m getting off track. This is what I want; I can’t pass my kingdom, so I wish to pass on all my knowledge including my mastery of dark magic. Seeing as I have no family to give this to I have to give it to somepony else. Thus, I choose to leave my legacy to you, Princess Twilight Sparkle!”

Twilights jaw dropped, “R-really? Even though it’s sort of my fault you got destroyed?”

“I’ll admit, I’m a little bitter about that, but I’m not going to hold it against you. Your role was a bit small in the whole ordeal. Besides I believe you’d make me proud!”

Twilight teetered on the thought of learning dark magic, but knew this had to be some trick. “Alright, what’s the catch?” she deadpanned, still not trusting Sombra entirely.

“No catch!” Sombra paused for a moment. “Although…”

Twilight could feel the so called “fine print” coming up. “Uh-huh?”

“It would be much easier for me to teach pony to pony than in your head. If you were to restore my body–”

“No deal!” Twilight growled, “I’m not gonna help one of the most dangerous villains in Equestria regain his body. Besides why would I want to learn dark magic anyway?” trying to sound like she had no interest in even though it truly fascinated her.

Sombra grinned and took a step towards her as he spoke, “Oh, I think you know why,” Twilight stepped back as he approached, “Have you already forgotten what happened today?” she looked away in shame as he continued, “Using dark magic you saved your friends lives and you did without even having to take a life. Remember how powerless you felt before you used it?”

Twilight’s ears folded back as he mentioned how weak she had been. That feeling of being so useless as she watched on in terror as her friends were about to be torn apart. She never wanted to feel that again because next time she could lose so much more.

Sombra whispered into her ears, “Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself…”

Twilight closed her eyes and dipped her head, ignoring the obvious quote and felt inclined to agree with his statement. Was it not power that Celestia and Luna controlled, that they were able to reign? Was it not the power of love that defeated the changeling army? Was it not the power of friendship that freed Luna of Nightmare Moon and sealed away Discord as well as reformed him? The answer was obviously, yes to all of those.

She finally looked up at Sombra, “You’re… right. You’re right,” she repeated and Sombra smirked, but his smile fell as a determined look entered her eyes, “However, that doesn’t mean I need to resort to restoring you to get such a power. I can learn dark magic without you!”

Sombra was taken aback, but was quick to regain his hoofing and retort, “And how will you do that? Who else could teach you? No pony, that’s who! You will be hard pressed to find any, let alone admit that they know dark magic. None would dare teach a princess or anypony close to Celestia!”

“Then I’ll teach myself! I’ll research and study up on it like I’ve done for most of my spells!” Twilight wasn’t going to give up so easily.

However, Sombra just chuckled, “Really now? And where would you find such materials to help you learn? I highly doubt there are any in your little library?” He smirked at her, believing he had poked all the holes he needed.

Twilight realized he was right. Where could she possibly learn about dark magic? She concentrated, thinking hard. There had to be some way to learn without Sombra, but how?

It took a few moments, but then Twilight’s face lit up in as she reached an epiphany. “The Royal Archives!” she beamed, “I bet there’s something in there, so take that Sombra!” She poked his chest as she grinned at him triumphantly.

Sombra on the other hoof wasn’t very amused, “Hmm, maybe. We’ll see though,” His ears perked up and he gave a mocking bow to her, “Huh, seems our time is up. Till next time princess, I wish you the best of luck.”

Before Twilight could say anything she began to drift off to sleep and fade away from her sub-conscious and wake up back in her library. Sombra watched on as she disappeared. A chill crawled up his back as he felt something stare down at him. He remained stoic as and asked, “Is she really going follow through?”

“Of course. She loves to prove others wrong,” A very familiar voice echoed throughout the empty plain, “And when she can’t find anything she’ll have no choice, but to come back to you. Though, I wouldn’t push your luck on having your body restored. Not yet anyway.”

Sombra shivered at the voice with its echo so familiar to his own. “And what if she is able to do it on her own?”

“Then you’ve outlived your usefulness,” It responded back coldly. That made him very nervous and the voice chuckled at this, “Now, don’t worry. Even if she can find a way, she’ll need you for guidance. She knows that.”

“Are you for certain?” He asked as he heard the hoof steps of the pony beginning to walk up beside him.

“Absolutely,” Sombra turned his head to acknowledge the lavender alicorn that was now next to him. She turned her head to look him in the eyes her own glowing pink as dark magic flowed from them in purple wisps. A wicked smile spread across her face as a corrupted element of magic sat upon her brow.

The Twilight doppelganger then asked, “Besides, who would know her better than… me?” she then began giggle and then chuckle, as her laugh slowly became maniacal.

Sombra didn’t say anything, but he had only one feeling about the whole situation. This wouldn’t end well for him…

Author's Note:

I'm shocked that I got another one of these out so soon! I hope you all enjoyed. Let Twilight's descent commence!

I originally was going to write another chapter of "Roses for the Grave", but this story has been garnering more attention. Not that my other story hasn't been garnering attention. Most who read that one really like it. Check it out if you haven't. Thank you!