• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,060 Views, 388 Comments

Synthesis of the Atheist - BlackRoseRaven



Luna and Scrivener become the targets of a malicious, narcissistic psychopath. 8th story in the 99 Worlds Saga/Blooming Moon Chronicles.

  • ...
34
 388
 2,060

PreviousChapters Next
Methods Of Atonement

Chapter Sixty: Methods Of Atonement
~BlackRoseRaven

Luna and Scrivener fell into a natural rhythm with Cheshire's visits, working out a schedule that helped them spend a little more time with other ponies as well. Celestia often walked with them so she could take care of Barony business, and before or after their appointments, Luna and Scrivener often stopped in at Barry's office or dealt with whatever events and meetings Underbrush half-ordered Scrivener to attend.

Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie both liked to come with them, too, and Cowlick had actually gone once as well one time to check out Cheshire and see if the White Matter had left any lasting marks and to get several samples of the strange creature's blood. But for the most part, the visits were quiet: they would discuss Cheshire's treatment with Dr. Socrates, how they could possibly help him further, and then visit with Chess for between half an hour to an hour, during which Scrivener would read a chapter from the long history he'd written about Sleipnir. Cheshire always listened raptly, and everyone wanted to believe that... he was capable of getting better.

Ponyville itself was calming down: there was no sign of Thesis anywhere, and the Strange Ones had told them that there were no longer any traces of any 'invaders' in their world. That was welcome news, although Cowlick was still trying to hurry forwards the completion of the White Matter facility. Luna had also whined that Cowlick had made herself a much better gun than Sting Mk. II was, and Cowlick had retorted: “Well, blame Apple Bloom, not me. And I ain't making another anti-materiel rifle like Artemis. But I do got enough White Matter to make you some special bullets... and speaking of that, I've been thinking...”

Scrivener hated it when Cowlick thought about things, and for good reason: an hour later he was sulking, and Luna was marveling over a bullet filled with the stallion's black blood. Cowlick had noted quietly that while Luna herself needed Scrivener's blood to live, it was pretty damn toxic to almost everything else, and she had found that Scrivener's corruption and Cheshire's corruption reacted... very strangely when mixed together. As in, the substances basically attempted to eat each other.

Cowlick was carrying a lot of guilt these days, though: she was building and studying and designing all these weapons again, and whether or not it was to protect Ponyville, she felt like she wasn't honoring her son's memory properly. It was hard for her, balancing these loyalties she had to the living and to her lost child... and more than that, she was fascinated with them. Fascinated with the physics, and the way all the parts could work together, and the raw enjoyment she felt when she held one of her weapons in her hooves, a weapon that could equal the playing field between a simple earth pony like her and the worst monster that Clockwork World could vomit out.

But Cowlick had other projects, too, and she was trying to focus on these as well, just like Luna and Scrivener and Twilight were all trying to help out Cheshire instead of hunting down and destroying the other Replicants. Not that there were any traces to be followed, and the Silverback parasites were now being killed anywhere they were seen, with ponies being trained and placed on-call to respond to any reports of infestations and destroy them.

Now, two months later, Innocence was a bright nine month old filly, scampering around on her little claws. She no longer needed to wear her little mittens, and she could handle them being trimmed and manicured, although the first experience with this had been a nightmare. She was about the average size for her age, but acted like a toddler instead of an infant: she could gesture at things – although it wasn't always clear what she wanted – and she could say a few words. When she had first called Twilight 'mama,' the violet mare had been overjoyed, and Scrivener and Luna had both swelled with pride over the child they were raising together.

Innocence could eat solid foods, and she had quickly become picky about this: whenever they tried to feed her baby mush, she tended to spit it out now, so they had to stick to cut up fruits and vegetables and other things. She was a very, very strong-willed little filly: Twilight often remarked sourly that it seemed like Luna's personality had somehow gotten infused into her baby, and Luna was both extremely proud and a little embarrassed about this.

Innocence had come and visited Cheshire with them once over the past month, and they had stared at each other for most of the visit. But the Replicant had been improving, quietly but slowly, and Dr. Socrates had been kind enough to have a sort of glass inner door installed on the cell. With this closed, Cheshire was still locked inside, but it was easy for him to see out into the hall and gave more of a sense of a world still existing beyond his little room. And he clearly liked that... plus no one was really kidding themselves that if the behemoth really wanted to get out, anything was going to stop him.

There was one unfortunate incident: a pair of guards had come to fetch Cheshire and bring him to a quiet room so that his cell could be cleaned, the sheets on his bedding changed, and any torn, loose papers swept out, but neither of them had seen Cheshire, and assumed that someone else had already taken him. The health care worker went in to clean, and was shortly chased out by a furious and raving Cheshire the moment the pony laid his hooves on the collection of books at the back.

Thankfully, Cheshire hadn't chased him far: he had hurried back to his cell and sulkily curled up around his pile of books. Dr. Socrates had gone in to lecture the behemoth like he was any other patient afterwards, and Cheshire had seemed to respond a little to it, and then the psychologist had gone back out to remind the guards gently but firmly to always use their flashlights when checking Cheshire's cell if it looked empty to avoid any further accidents like this. Cheshire always reacted to light when it was shone on him, something Dr. Socrates had figured out to deal with Cheshire's habit of turning invisible.

But Dr. Socrates thought Cheshire needed something more now: while he was settling into his cell and liked watching the outside world, he needed to start interacting with it more. He felt strangely... desperate to be able to fix this particular pony, and he didn't know if it was because he sympathized so much with the signs of torture and abuse, or just some deep need to satisfy his ego and show that he could treat even an alien pony from another world. Or maybe it was a mix of all that and other things, like the way that Cheshire seemed to long for the world, long to remember who he'd once been.

Scrivener, Twilight and Luna were helping immensely; reading to Cheshire, giving him someone to trust in and interact with was having great effects, but Cheshire's treatment required a little... extra push, he thought. It wasn't that he wanted to rush the treatment, of course, but... he was worried that the more time Cheshire spent in the cell that was becoming an artificial womb to him, the more Cheshire would become dependent on others and the less he'd be able to interact with the world. Sometimes Dr. Socrates stopped and looked inside, and just watched Cheshire like Cheshire watched the outside world... and all too often, the Replicant just curled up in the fetal position on the floor, nestling himself down and clinging to what had become more sanctuary than prison.

After two months of analysis and Scrivener, Twilight, Luna, and Pinkie Pie all building a rapport with Cheshire, Dr. Socrates asked Luna and Scrivener to do him an immense favor. They had to sign all kinds of waivers and forms and it was still not strictly legal practice, but if it worked, then they could be one step closer to helping Cheshire.

And that was why Scrivener Blooms, Luna Brynhild, and Twilight Sparkle, on the suggestion of Celestia and all trusting in her sharp mind and sharper instincts, were currently sitting with Cheshire in the Equinox Theater. Cheshire was all bundled up in his safety jacket and a scarf and a cute little toque that Rarity had kindly made for him, staring at the kids on stage as they awkwardly ran through play practice while Doctrine kept telling them to concentrate.

Doctrine had been hesitant to allow a possibly-dangerous behemoth into his theater to watch the senior Fairweather Players practice, but eventually Luna's intimidating half-promises had won him over, and he had grouchily agreed to let them all watch. Plus, Twilight Sparkle had Innocence with her, and the violet mare had added it would be good practice for his young actors to remember to keep going on stage, even with distractions in the audience. Doctrine couldn't complain about his kids being unsafe if Twilight was willing to trust her baby around Cheshire.

Luna was smiling, dressed in a thick leather jacket and with her sunglasses pushed down so she could gaze happily over them at the ponies on stage: teenagers, mostly, and Scrivener was smiling, in his own matching outfit and with a little snow still melting in his mane. Innocence was snoozing in Twilight's lap, curled happily up in a big, thick green and blue longjacket: Rarity had finally pleaded with Twilight to let her make something for the baby that was a little more... nice-looking than the baby wear Twilight usually wrapped her child in, and Twilight had only grudgingly accepted because the padded baby jacket Innocence had been wearing before made her look like a giant puffy golf ball.

Cheshire was staring at the stage, and Doctrine was actually doing a remarkable job of keeping his kids on task, even though a few of the youths were standing off to the side and just mumbling to themselves. Scrivener was actually enjoying this little outing, too, and he smiled softly as Twilight rested her head on his shoulder and Luna murmured, patting Cheshire's shoulder quickly: “Look, look at that one, the young colt there. How hard he's trying to memorize the dance!”

Cheshire seemed to nod: a few of the actors were working to one side of the stage on some simple rhythm number, but among their number were three little colts, probably half the age of the teens. Meanwhile, the play's lead was trying to recite his lines, but kept stumbling over his words, until Doctrine finally sighed and waved a hoof quickly. “Okay, wait wait wait. Okay, Bass, you need to get this memorized but uh... let's run through with the script and play it with the music. You can just speak the lines, you don't need to sing yet, but we do gotta get through this.”

“Dude it's tough!” complained Bass, the young pony looking frustrated as he reached up and hammered a hoof against his own head, and Doctrine sighed, but looked more amused than exasperated: if the Pegasus had one thing going for him, it was patience. “It's... it's not that I can't remember the lines, but... I have to speak them so fast, and it's all... twisty!”

“Well, you guys were the ones who chose Bright's Bewildering Beat. I warned you all about fifty times it's got a lot of tongue twisters. But I wouldn't let you guys do this musical if I didn't think you could handle it, even if we're still lacking a Dim Dunn to stand against our Bright Beacon.” Doctrine halted, and then he frowned and tapped his hoof against his nose moodily. “Maybe that's the problem. Cal, get the music rolling. Who wants to stand in as Dim?”

“If ever there was a part for thou in a play, Scrivener, methinks that would be it.” Luna remarked mildly, and Scrivener gave the mare a sour look as Twilight cleared her throat. “Thou should go get up on stage and do it.”

Scrivener began to open his mouth... and then he stared in horror as Cheshire scrambled awkwardly over the seats, Luna gaping before the stallion glared at her, and the sapphire mare flailed her forelegs as she snapped: “I did not say it to him, did I? 'Tis not my fault!”

“Guys!” Twilight said hurriedly, and Luna and Scrivener both scrambled forwards and into the aisle as Cheshire waded up to the stage, then almost knocked Doctrine over as he yanked himself up to stare down at Bass. The young pony went dead white, staring up in horror before there was a scratch of a needle on a record, and music began to play over the speakers...

And Scrivener stumbled stupidly to a halt, gaping at the stage, as Cheshire leaned forwards and recited in a clear, imperious voice: “Your platitudes in plenty and prayers you pray while prancing shall go unheard, the only pray you'll play today is prey to me, you are absurd!

Luna stared up at the stage, and accidentally ran right into Scrivener, knocking him flat and sprawling overtop of him as the music swelled and rolled onwards, and then Cheshire picked up in time, without a pause or break in spite of the lack of response from the fellow actor: “Oh! So you think your trickery will turn you loose from this treacherous trap? I scoff at your scurrilous struggles to save yourself from my attacks! Ha ha ha!”

Everypony was gaping now, and Doctrine mouthed wordlessly as the music went into a rapid rise, then a complicated cadence before Cheshire bounded suddenly backwards, replying crisply in time with the music: “Nonsense! No one knows such knowledge, never, now, or next-to-come! No matter what you implicate, never will it necessitate your release or your survival; that is nothing but fiction, flop and contrival!”

The music rose and fell, then went into a long, plucked melody of high notes, before Cheshire's head snapped back as he sang clearly, his voice rising and falling as if part of a chorus: “Oh run, run run, Bright, run like the daylight, bleeds out of day until only shadows remain! Oh run, run, run, Bright, run through the dark night, every step you take is another step towards your grave!

“You laughed at me, ha-ha-ha-ha, while I lurked longingly locked away, beneath the lachrymose surface of lonely lover's lake! You laughed at me, ha-ha-ha-ha, while-” And then Cal accidentally leaned too much into the turntable and the record skipped before it fell off the podium it was sitting on, hitting with a crash that made Cheshire yelp and half-spin, bolting off the stage and leaping into the seats to turn invisible, hiding from the loud noise.

All eyes were staring stupidly around the room, at the stage, at each other, at the seats where Cheshire had fled to, and then out of nowhere Discombobulation calmly strolled into the center of the stage, wearing a large white cravat and a red, fluffy-looking overcoat. He posed for a moment, then snapped his fingers and pointed towards where Cheshire was hiding, declaring: “That's our Hitler!”

And with that, the Draconequus vanished in a puff, Doctrine mouthing wordlessly at his stage before he shook his head hurriedly, then looked over towards Luna and Scrivener, saying incredulously: “I have no idea what that means, who that was, or what's going on right now, but somehow at the same time I can't help but agree. Is there any, any possible way we can work something out here? He was fantastic! He's perfect!”

Luna and Scrivener traded dumb looks, the stallion looking up as Luna looked awkwardly down, and then the sapphire mare cleared her throat before picking herself up, Scrivener grumbling as the mare stood on top of him and said hesitantly: “We shall... see what can be done. But we do not know how Cheshire will react to an audience, nor how much he can be... taught.”

“We'll just use his voice if we have to, but I would love his participation in this. That was utterly fantastic, he hit all the cues without even trying.” Doctrine said firmly, and then he looked over at Cheshire and smiled as the Replicant flickered nervously back into being from where he was hiding among the seats. “You're exactly what we need.”

“He'll do it.” Twilight said suddenly from the seats, and she blushed even as Luna and Scrivener looked over at her with surprise: well, Scrivener attempted to, since Luna was still awkwardly standing on top of him. “I mean... we'll... we'll figure out a way to make it work, but Cheshire will do it, I know he will. This is important for him. We just... need to work things out.”

“Damnation, Scrivy, soon Twilight is going to be the dominant one in our relationship. I shall end up having to do the dishes beside thee and serving as throne to our new queen.” Luna muttered, and Scrivener cleared his throat awkwardly before the sapphire mare stepped up and down on him a few times, making him wince. “Not that 'tis all such a bad thing, of course. I can think of worser fates than to be a loveseat for a pretty mare, so long as thou art still below me.”

Scrivener sighed tiredly, and then Luna finally stepped off him and yanked him up to his hooves, the stallion smiling despite himself before the sapphire mare turned and strode quickly over to Cheshire, as Doctrine called his actors back to order and put one of his other understudies in charge before the Pegasus hopped down from the stage.

He and Luna reached Cheshire at almost the same time, and the Replicant shifted awkwardly before Luna pointed at Doctrine and said firmly: “This is thy new friend, Cheshire, and thou art to listen to him, understood? And nay, we shan't start today... even I am not so brash as to think that Cheshire will not need time and tempering.”

Doctrine nodded as this, holding up a hoof and saying quietly: “At your own pace. I'd like to have him around at the play practices, and start working with him as soon as possible, but I'm not making demands, either. He's just what we need, though... we've got three months, but...”

“Aye, aye. I shall see what I can do.” Luna grumbled, and then she turned her eyes to Cheshire... and softened at the look on his face, reaching up and ruffling the behemoth's mane. “Oh look at thou, stupid brute. Nay, thou art not in trouble at all. Thou did well! Thou did very, very well. Thou art a good pony, thou knows what that means, aye?”

Cheshire responded with a bit of a nod to her, calming a little, and Luna studied the enormous pony before she sighed softly and murmured: “Look at thee. Thou must have been handsome once. Strange, strange creature, but thou art... we shall fix thee, as best we can.”

They stayed for another ten minutes, and Doctrine gave them a copy of the rehearsal schedule and promised to help out in any way he could and again, to work at Cheshire's pace. And Cheshire seemed... like he was paying attention to them, Scrivener thought. It was a small thing, and yet it was incredible at the same time, something that all of them noticed as they carefully made their way back to CIMH: the one worrying part about this whole expedition, bringing Cheshire through the public streets.

But Cheshire stayed close and often flickered in and out of visibility, clearly not enjoying how busy it was, but almost clinging to his friends, his adopted 'family.' They returned without incident, and when they told Dr. Socrates what had happened, the psychologist was astounded, but also extremely pleased. It was a great sign, he told them: it meant there really was something going on inside Cheshire's mind, and they really did stand a chance of getting through to him.

He wasn't as sure about letting Cheshire actually take part in the play, but at some insistence from Luna, finally said they could try and play it based on how Cheshire handled the rehearsals. He cautioned to move slow, though, and that even if Cheshire could interact with others in that kind of atmosphere, it didn't necessarily mean he would be able to interact with others anywhere else. Playing a role wasn't exactly the same as acting on one's own impetus, after all.

All the same, he agreed it would be good, and would help show Cheshire he could be safe and find enjoyment in things apart from his cell and his books. Scrivener and Luna found themselves discussing this with Twilight all the way down to Subterra, half-arguing about what they were going to do with Cheshire and how much they could really help him until they were literally on the steps of Burning Desire's palace.

“Well, it does not matter anyway.” Luna commented, as they strode calmly through the front hall, Twilight trying to walk so Innocence was safely between her and Scrivener and not looking at the 'richly' detailed statues of mares. “First we must make sure that the loud noises and bright lights and all the ponies do not cause Cheshire to go into a rampage. 'Tis only after that we should begin to consider how much further we can aid him.”

Twilight shrugged a bit as they walked into the connecting hall, and then the three smiled as Burning Desire's voice greeted jovially: “Right on time! I apologize for being late but well, you know how things are. Pretty distractions and all.”

The fiery stallion approached with a warm smile, Aphrodisia bouncing happily beside him on one side and Ersatz Major on the other, smiling softly. She and Scrivener traded a tight hug, while Burning embraced Luna and Twilight, and then Aphrodisia hugged all three of them quickly, saying warmly: “It's so great to see you! Burning's lots of fun, but working all the time is starting to get a little less fun. And Morning Glory's no fun.”

“Oh, come now, I know you enjoy yourself far too much with my little sister.” Burning remarked cheerfully, and then he turned a smile to Ersatz, adding easily: “And you know, darling, I wouldn't mind at all if you wanted to go have a little fun with her yourself.”

Ersatz only gave Burning an amused look, and Scrivener softened as his eyes drew over the unicorn, noting how her changes had progressed. She was a little more slender, a little taller, and her eyes had a faint glow to them... not to mention the telltale cloven hooves she now possessed. She was well on her way to becoming a demon, but she still seemed comfortable with herself, and Scrivener was happier for that than he could say.

Burning turned his eye back to them, gesturing easily. “But come on, come on. Let's see if we can track down Morning Glory, she'll be delighted to see you all here. How was your visit above with Cheshire? I'd be very interested in meeting him myself.”

The group strode through the halls together, chatting comfortably: Burning Desire seemed... brighter, stronger these days, and his entire palace resonated with this. Torches burned higher, his decorations nice and naughty seemed more alive, his servants even seemed happier. And even with how much Morning Glory and Aphrodisia both obviously helped with that, the clear cause for Burning Desire's newfound joy, his... freedom, perhaps was the best word... was clearly Ersatz Major.

And she seemed free, as well: happy, herself, a real pony instead of someone who was just playing a role and trying to live in a past long passed. Scrivener Blooms was glad for it, as his cousin fell back in step beside him while the others paced ahead a bit, and the two smiled at each other as Luna rolled her eyes but gestured amusedly with her head at Twilight Sparkle, who only gave a wry smile to Luna in return as they strode ahead with Burning Desire and Aphrodisia to give the two a little it of courtesy. Not quite privacy, since Luna was going to hear everything Scrivener heard anyway, but Ersatz looked grateful for the gesture all the same.

The cousins strode side-by-side, before the charcoal stallion asked softly, turning his eyes to the mare: “So how are you doing, Ersatz?”

“I'm well. I'm very well, Scrivener Blooms... Burning Desire is such a sweetheart, in spite of how he might act.” Ersatz replied softly, smiling a little at the stallion. “He's helped me a world with my... growing urges. I feel very vain sometimes these days, but he makes me smile and laugh and reminds me not to take myself so seriously. Reminds me that the world is for joy, not bitterness.”

Scrivener smiled a little at this, before Ersatz said softly: “And it's... admittedly a strange pleasure, in its way. For instance, in the last month alone, my senses have more than trebled... I can see this strange dark aura dancing around you and Luna and Twilight Sparkle, and I can smell your blood... almost taste it. And if I concentrate hard enough, I see... not into your mind, precisely, but all those glowing colors... tell me things...”

“Emotional reading. Most demons can do that... a lot of people tend to interpret it as 'mind reading,' but it's not really reaching into someone's thoughts. It's just scary as hell and a lot of demons then like to brag that they're reading your mind. Scares the crap out of ponies who don't really understand what's going on and makes it a lot easier to threaten them and them much more likely to cooperate.” Scrivener explained, and Ersatz chuckled quietly, making the stallion smile lamely. “But I guess you knew that already, huh?”

“Not really. Burning Desire likes me to learn on my own... he helps me when I need it, but otherwise lets me learn at my own pace.” Ersatz replied softly, and then she softened a little. “And I can also do magic, Scrivener Blooms. Real magic. And I feel that I don't deserve this gift, this honor... I wish that I could help you out, somehow, with the plight that you and Luna suffer from.”

Scrivener only smiled faintly again, shrugging a little as he replied softly: “Keep an eye on yourself, Ersatz... help Burning and Apps and Morning, and just... take care of yourself, and that's more than enough. You're... you're a good pony, Ersatz. You really are.”

Ersatz only chuckled softly at this, murmuring: “No, I'm not, Scrivener Blooms. I understand that sometimes good ponies end up in Helheim and become demons over silly, even trivial things... but I am not such a good pony. I'm trying to be now, though. I'm trying to be somepony my Father would been proud of, and Aunt Belle would have wanted her niece to be.”

“Were you two... close?” Scrivener asked softly, finally daring to ask the question that for so long he'd wanted to, but never quite managed... and Ersatz smiled softly and nodded slowly, the two looking at each other for a few moments before they turned to follow the others into a large training room, and both decided to save the rest of the conversation for later.

Morning Glory was here, laying back on an exercise bench and calmly pulling rings her front hooves were hooked through downwards: they were bound to thick cables that were rigged into a pulley and slowly lifting massive weights with each flex of her limbs, the mare pointedly ignoring Burning Desire as he sat beside her and leaned slowly in.

On this rare occasion, her body was bare, but her mane and tail still burned with golden flames, and she seemed less emaciated and more athletic. Then she finally sighed tiredly as Burning began to poke her side slowly, saying distastefully as she continued her exercises slowly and methodically: “I'm almost done. Ten more repetitions.”

“It's funny, Morning. I get tired just from hearing you talk about working out.” Burning Desire said mildly, and Morning Glory rolled her eyes before the Passion turned and gestured easily at the room with a slight smile: “By the way, what do you think, Luna? I recently had it updated a little because a certain mare in this room was doing nothing but complaining about how out-of-date all of it was. Which is rather funny coming from a thousand year old Wrath demon.”

Luna looked back and forth overtop her sunglasses, smiling slightly at the equipment: clearly Morning Glory had done the shopping, and the larger weights would probably give even her a hard time moving them. Or a good time, depending on your view on the subject, but Luna wasn't all that good at keeping up an exercise schedule unless it involved some form of physical violence. And then Morning Glory finally dropped the rings, letting the weights fall with a clang in the rack as she sat up and said moodily: “That was not my complaint, Ardent. My complaint was that most of your equipment was clearly not used for exercising.”

“It was so! Just not your kind of exercising.” Burning Desire grinned over his shoulder at her cheerfully... then yelped when Morning Glory booted him across the room with one rear hoof before slipping off the bench and rolling her shoulders moodily, silver bleeding out of her pores and quickly forming into her heavy exoskeleton of plated armor.

The Passion grumbled from where he'd landed against one of the other racks upside down, then he squirmed back up to his hooves and looked over at her, opening his mouth: before he could say anything, Morning Glory shot a dangerous look at him, and his jaws quickly snapped closed before the Destroyer turned her eyes towards Luna, as she gestured at a doorway past a matted floor. “Would you like to spar, Luna Brynhild? There's a serviceable arena back there.”

“It's not an arena. Or at least it didn't used to be. I used to practice magic back there, but the last pony who used it before little sister tore the chains off the door was... well...” Burning Desire quieted, then he shook his head and smiled after a moment as Luna, Scrivener and Twilight all nodded in understanding. Then Innocence burbled, and the fiery stallion smiled warmly as he strode towards the baby, gazing down at her brightly. “Well, hello you! I see somepony's woken up and... that is a rancid stench indeed.”

Burning Desire's muzzle wrinkled up, and Scrivener groaned when Twilight looked at him a bit of embarrassment. “Great, of course. Okay, Luna and I need to take the kid, I guess, so you'll have to save sparring for another day. Which is good, I don't want the crap beaten out of me today.”

“I'm willing to wait.” Morning Glory said calmly, and then she smiled slightly when Luna's eyes narrowed slightly, tilting her head a little. “Oh no. I don't want to truly fight... not yet. I'm comfortable with my loyalties right now... but I'd like to place a wager against you, Luna Brynhild.”

Scrivener shifted uneasily as he strode over towards Twilight, who lifted the carrier and baby bag off herself with telekinesis to drop over Scrivener's back, even as the Lich asked nervously: “And... what exactly is that, Morning Glory? We already have a lot to deal with.”

“We do. That's why I'm interested in testing my skills against you in a short, quick match. To see which one of us is stronger now, and to either quench my thirst or be satisfied that you are superior.” Morning Glory replied, her eyes roving towards Scrivener Blooms, and Luna grimaced a little as her eyes narrowed slightly at this.

“Thou does not want to walk that road, Morning Glory. Believe me, I... I know that best.” Luna said quietly, as Burning Desire shifted uneasily and Aphrodisia frowned worriedly over at the Destroyer. But Morning Glory was only smiling and calm, her eyes almost unreadable as her golden-fire mane twisted slowly back and forth around her features, and Luna shook her head slowly, asking distastefully: “And what if I simply refuse thee or thy terms?”

“I know you well enough by now, Luna Brynhild, to know that you both can't and won't.” Morning Glory said softly, and the sapphire mare snorted in entertainment, before the Destroyer smiled slightly. “Think of it this way. If you really don't want me to sample what's given you so much power... then just don't lose the fight.”

“Oh, conniving monster. Very well, then do not blame me for when I make thee eat sand, demon.” Luna said firmly, leaning forwards... before Scrivener cleared his throat loudly and Twilight glared pointedly at the mare, and the sapphire winged unicorn dropped her head sulkily and muttered: “After we have finished changing my daughter's diaper.”

Morning Glory rolled her eyes, turning away and heading to the door as she said moodily over her shoulder: “Just make Ardent do it. I'm sure he'd have no problem dealing with it, he spends all day spewing the same substance from his ever-prattling mouth.”

Burning Desire frowned for a moment, then mouthed a word to himself before glaring over at Morning Glory's back as Aphrodisia giggled a little despite herself. “Hey! Say that to my face!”

The Destroyer shot a look over her shoulder, and Burning yelped and leapt upwards, bursting apart into flames and transforming into a firebird that shot up into the rafters above. Luna rolled her eyes as Twilight smiled amusedly despite herself, while Scrivener simply headed for the door, wondering moodily what he was about to get dragged into.

Ten minutes later, Luna was standing in the middle of a small, sandy arena, grinning widely in pleased surprise as she tucked her sunglasses into an inner pocket of her leather jacket: it was circular and large enough to give both herself and Morning Glory enough room to maneuver freely. The walls were solid on three sides, while to her right there were two stairways that rusted metal gates were closed over, and a viewing area where Twilight was nervously bouncing Innocence next to Scrivener Blooms, Ersatz on the stallion's other side and Burning beside her, while Aphrodisia leaned excitedly over the edge of the wall, calling: “You can do it, Aunt Brynhild!”

“Of course.” Luna snapped her horn to the side, and a fountain pen flew out of her mane before she snapped her horn forwards as it glowed brightly, the pen shooting towards the ground as it burst into blue flames: what struck and stood tall out of the earth wasn't a pen any longer, but her full-sized spear, as she looked calmly across at Morning Glory. “Thou may set the rules of the engagement, but I shall be using my spear, my soul, my Prúðbikkja. Acceptable?”

Morning Glory threw her head back and laughed at this, and Luna grinned widely as Aphrodisia blinked curiously and looked over her shoulder as Scrivener dropped his face in one hoof and Twilight simply looked pained. “What does that mean?”

Ersatz looked curious as well, while Burning Desire cleared his throat loudly and looked pointedly over at the two, and Twilight sighed before she covered Innocence's ears as Scrivener said dryly: “Proud Bitch.”

Aphrodisia giggled at this, half-covering her mouth before she looked excitedly forwards as Morning Glory said mildly: “That suits you well, Valkyrie. Very well. Let us set... playful rules, shall we, to avoid this getting out of hoof. The first to leave a serious wound... not piddling scratches or bruises, but a broken bone, a bloody, deep cut. And no magic.”

Luna grinned slightly at this, her eyes flashing. “The rules of a brave jarl. Aye, this suits me fine, Morning Glory, and shall stop things from getting... too intense. But I do hope that all the same the battle proves intense enough, even if I suspect it shall also be short-lived.”

“You're overconfident, Luna Brynhild. Don't forget how easily I defeated you when we first fought.” Morning Glory said calmly, and Luna bared her fangs before the Destroyer leaned forwards as liquid metal bled out of her features and formed quickly into a metal mask over her face, her chains clicking and rising slowly behind her. “Of course, I expect this time you'll at least remember to run away instead of standing there like a fool and letting me crush your skull beneath my hoof.”

Luna snarled and leapt forwards, spreading her wings and launching herself towards Morning Glory, who grinned coldly before her chains snapped viciously outwards as she reared up... and caught nothing but air as Luna swiftly flew straight up with a snort of entertainment at the last moment, her expression of anger vanishing into a wide grin before she stomped both rear hooves savagely down on Morning Glory's face.

The demon was knocked almost sprawling forwards with a shout of surprise before Luna smashed down onto the Destroyer's shell-covered back, nimbly dodging the chains whipping wildly at her with surprise as she drew her spear quickly along with her before she flung herself off the giant as Morning Glory leapt forwards and spun around in a rooster-tail of sand, glaring at the winged unicorn. Their eyes locked, only a few feet from each other before Luna asked easily: “Now thou did not actually think that would work, aye? I may be foolish and furious, Morning Glory, but I am not a complete idiot. And besides, thou art not nearly as good at being provocative as thou thinks. Now get ready, Destroyer, for soon 'twill be time for hoof party in thy face's house!”

The Destroyer snorted at this, then suddenly lunged forwards before twisting her head to the side as one of her chains snapped down, barely catching the neck of Luna's spear before it could drive into her face. Instead, it was yanked off to the side, ripping only a shallow gash through her mask before one of other other chains twisted quickly in, but Luna swung the other end of her spear around with a flick of her horn to block the whip.

The sapphire mare leapt forwards, seizing the spear that Morning Glory was now holding in the air for her in both front hooves and swinging her body forwards to drive both rear hooves in a savage kick into the demon's throat. Morning Glory cursed, staggering backwards as her eyes bulged and the metal plating on her neck warped, but at the same time her tentacles of chain quickly drove the spear downwards into Luna and pinned her in the sand on her back, shoving viciously down against the sapphire mare's own neck.

Morning Glory rose a hoof and stomped viciously down, aiming to end the fight quickly, but Luna half-rolled backwards, bringing both rear hooves back with a curse to catch Morning Glory's own against them. The demon snarled as she bore down with both enormous hoof and chains, choking off Luna's supply of oxygen and making Scrivener rasp in the stands as he clutched one hoof at his neck, starting to feel lightheaded and nauseated.

But a moment later, Luna bared her teeth before flicking her head to the side, and the spear shot free from Morning Glory's chains, freeing her from the pin as the demon's metal tendrils snapped backwards. At the same moment, Luna kicked hard off Morning Glory's hoof and gave her wings a firm flap in smooth synchronization, launching herself backwards and kicking a cloud of dust up into the Destroyer's eyes.

The demon cursed in frustration, stomping her hooves forwards to try and catch Luna under them as her chains snapped through the air around her, clearing the dust cloud, before her eyes widened as she saw the winged unicorn was already gone. She looked back and forth before her instincts tingled, and Morning Glory spun around with a snarl, chains snapping out and catching Luna's spear before it could drive into her chest as it thrust at her with incredible speed and force... and a moment later, the Destroyer roared in surprise more than pain as Luna landed on her back and drove her horn through the thinner metal plating just above her metallic shell.

One of her chains snapped backwards, smashing Luna off her back and sending the winged unicorn crashing down into the sand with a curse, the Destroyer throwing Luna's spear down and spinning around... but Luna grinned widely on the arena floor, sitting up slightly and looking with triumph through the splatter of Morning Glory's blood over her face at the disbelieving demon. “It seems the tables have turned, demon. And perhaps fate is not so cruel after all, if now I am strong and sly enough to best even a shieldmaiden such as thyself.”

Morning Glory strode moodily forwards, then reached down and seized Luna by the collar of her jacket and yanked her up, the winged unicorn wincing slightly but glaring balefully all the same before the Destroyer leaned slowly down... then surprisingly, she closed her eyes and asked softly: “Then do you understand why I am drawn towards desiring it myself?”

“Aye. And I know it would not affect thee as it does me. Pinkamena, after all, still insists upon... sampling Scrivener from time-to-time.” Luna grimaced a bit, then she reached calmly up and almost soothingly rubbed the foreleg of the Destroyer, saying softly: “Aye, 'twould make thee more powerful, Destroyer. But I fear the repercussions. I fear for thee, because I like to imagine that thou and I are sisters upon the battlefield, are we not?”

“I suppose.” Morning Glory muttered, and then she sighed tiredly before half-flinging Luna to the ground, the winged unicorn bouncing once with a grunt before glowering at the Destroyer, but the enormous demon only grumbled before turning around and gazing distastefully at Luna's spear. “Prúðbikkja serves you even better than I expected. Tell me honestly, Luna Brynhild... if you had the chance to put your horn back on your head, and flush your need for corruption from your system... would you take it?”

Luna was silent as she stood up, her horn glowing and her spear shooting quickly past the Destroyer before it burst into blue flames and polymorphed back into a fountain pen that vanished into her starry locks, and the Destroyer smiled calmly over her shoulder through her metal mask. “Yes. You and I are very much alike. More and more, I see that. I respect that.”

The sapphire winged unicorn only grumbled, then looked up as Aphrodisia came running towards them with a warm smile, her eyes almost glowing as she bounced a little on the spot. “That was amazing, Aunt Brynhild! I wish I had more time to learn from you... but Morning Glory, I thought you were a better fighter than that.”

The Dominia looked almost disapprovingly at the Destroyer, who only smiled wryly in response as her mask clicked apart and the plates melted back into her collar, replying distastefully: “I suppose that I thought as well myself, but was proven wrong in this instance. Do not fear, little one. I'll ensure you bleed plenty the next time we train together.”

“Okay!” Aphrodisia chirped positively, and Morning Glory sighed and shook her head slowly as Luna laughed despite herself, moodiness falling away as she gazed with entertainment at her niece. “Oh, Innocence is a little fussy, Aunt Twilight said. She and Scrivener want you to feed her.” A pause. “So uh... what does... you know, your milk taste like?”

“'Tis at times like these, Aphrodisia, that I truly see thy father in thee. 'Tis both endearing and a little scary, and I direly do hope Hevatica or another demoness of physical pursuits can teach thee how to avoid becoming pregnant.” Luna said mildly, and Aphrodisia nodded a few times with a bright smile as Morning Glory muttered under her breath. “Oh shut up, Destroyer. I am sure thou must enjoy bumps from time-to-time thyself. Although I imagine thou art... unpleasant about it.”

Morning Glory gave a sour look to Luna, then retorted distastefully: “Sex is a battlefield where none win and the cost is paid in humiliation and disappointment. Why would I indulge in a carnival of failures and submit my body to the touch of some pathetic stallion?”

“Because 'tis fun.” Luna remarked cheerfully, and Aphrodisia nodded agreeably before the Destroyer grumbled and stormed away, and Luna paused before glancing mildly over at Aphrodisia. “And thou art not supposed to agree with me. Half-Lust or not, thou should wait half-a-century or so. Waiting makes pleasure grow sweeter, difficult as it is.”

Aphrodisia huffed a little at this, then she tilted her head with interest as Luna strode towards where Scrivener and Twilight were waiting at the bottom of the stairs into the stands with Ersatz. Burning Desire was already prancing off after Morning Glory, and Luna couldn't help but watch with amusement when she kicked him squarely in the face without even having to turn around as she passed through the door, even as Aphrodisia asked: “When did you have your first time, Aunt Brynhild?”

“'Tis not the usual question that nieces ask their aunts, but... I suppose it makes sense for thou to be curious. 'Twas... oh, I know not. Celestia was very protective of me, but Sleipnir thought I deserved to make my own decisions, and helped me slip away with some handsome stallion or another. 'Twas years after I awoke though, Aphrodisia. I am loathe to admit this, but after awakening with my family I did not simply prance happily off into being who I am today.” Luna smiled after a moment at this thought. “It took a long time to become who I am now, as it took my big sister a long time to mix old and new self together. And I do not believe any of us here are yet done... growing.”

“You spend your time on this world either living or dying. As long as you're living, you're growing. Although I guess some of us keep growing even after we die, too.” Scrivener halted, then looked lamely around at Twilight, Luna, and Ersatz. “Not that. I'm implying anything. I'll shut up now.”

Luna sighed and rolled her eyes at this, favoring Scrivener with a dryly-amused look before Ersatz Major looked down at one of her cloven hooves thoughtfully, and then she said softly: “No. I think you're right, Scrivener Blooms.”

“Oh, do not encourage the poet, Ersatz, that is even worse when thou wert calling him monster.” Luna grumbled, and Twilight smiled a little despite herself as Innocence chewed slowly on one of her claws and looked up at the sapphire mare almost worriedly. After a moment, Luna caught this look, turning tender eyes towards the foal. “Oh, now look at thee, Innocence. Wert thou worried for me? 'Twas truly no need, as thou hast seen. I am mightier than any demon.”

Innocence burbled, then seemed to nod once before quietly reaching up towards her, and Luna smiled softly as she leaned forwards, letting the babe's claw quietly grasp at her nose as she looked lovingly down at the young foal. “Oh, such a sweet child thou art... aye, Luna-Mommy is here. And apparently is going to give thee a little feeding, even if I think thou art growing well past needing it.”

“Well, Luna, I keep telling you we can start weaning her onto bottles of your milk, then formula...” Twilight replied mildly, and Luna huffed at this before she flicked her nose up and caught Innocence's claw in her mouth, gently suckling on it and making the baby giggle quietly and paw at her with her other hoof, bouncing and brightening a bit, and the Lich tried her hardest not to smile before she shook her head and said softly: “Anyway. Burning already offered us a room here, too, if you want to stay for the night. But I don't know how well Innocence would take it. You know she's a little picky.”

“Aye, she takes after Scrivener, clearly.” Luna said mildly, letting the baby's claw drop out of her mouth, and then she stepped forwards and kissed Innocence's forehead gently. “Antares would enjoy the house to himself, but... I know, let us plan to do this next week or so, shall we? I am sure we can find both time and excuse for it, and 'twould be nice to spend the time here. Especially with Ersatz and Scrivener wanting to gossip like the little fillies they are.”

Scrivener glowered at the mare as Twilight rolled her eyes, but Aphrodisia giggled and brightened, adding: “Hey, maybe Mommy and Daddy can come too! And Aunt Celestia, too, Burning loves company, doesn't he Ersatz?”

“He does, Aphrodisia, but you know I don't like to speak for Burning. He's been generous to me... the fact he's given me so much power over the estate here makes me feel truly humble.” Ersatz replied with a small smile, and then she turned and added: “Here, why don't you use my quarters to feed Innocence in a bit of privacy?”

“I wanna watch though. It's cute.” Apps said positively, and Luna snorted laughter even as Twilight sighed and Scrivener looked mildly at Aphrodisia, who huffed. “Well it is! And if I could make my own milk I'd definitely squirt it in everything. You'd never have to go to the store again!”

Luna coughed several times as Twilight winced and Scrivener cleared his throat, but Ersatz only smiled kindly over at Aphrodisia, apparently completely unperturbed by the happily-hopping-along demon. Apps had a bright, childish look on her face as Ersatz led them towards her quarters, and the sapphire mare couldn't help but finally question: “Aphrodisia, thou must tell me something, and be honest and true... how much of thy act is from thy father's cheer, and how much of this has thy godfather Burning Desire taught thee, keeping up the eternal masquerade?”

The Dominia softened at this, her bounce changing into a calmer, more-graceful gait beside them as she bowed her head forwards, knotted-at-the-shoulder mane forming a curtain over half her face as she murmured softly: “I don't always know, to be honest, Aunt Brynhild. Well, I know that I definitely exaggerate it, yes. But I like to think I have the best parts of my parents in me as well as their worst parts... that helps me through the... the harder days.”

Aphrodisia strode beside them, quiet and graceful and smiling in a way that reminded Scrivener of Pinkamena somehow. And her eyes were shy, and everything about her spoke of vulnerability and openness... showed her trusting in all of them, not trying to hide her real face from the world, and everything that was usually masked behind her bright, childish exterior. “I'm really happy I'm here. I hate being away from my parents, but... I know this is important. That I have to learn here, and become more than... I am right now, with all these things mixed up inside me. But I will. And Mommy and Daddy support me, and Auntie Pinkie's always there too.” Aphrodisia smiled up at them, nodding firmly and hopping a little. “I think she helped teach me lots how to deal with myself. Maybe that's funny, but it's true. She's really smart, you know.”

“I do. Even though it took me a long time to see that, to be honest.” Twilight Sparkle said softly over her shoulder, smiling a little, and Aphrodisia gazed warmly at the Lich before the violet mare glanced ahead as Ersatz knocked twice on a door before pushing it open, revealing a lavish, enormous room beyond. Luna whistled a little as Scrivener gazed back and forth, feeling impressed despite himself: the room was utterly gorgeous. It was wide and open and had a fully-stocked mini-bar in one back corner of the room, with a piano at the other. There was a large, oddly bowl-shaped bed, and artsy plush furnishings comfortably positioned around a table and fireplace. It was more like some kind of expensive studio apartment than just a bedroom.

Twilight and Luna headed for the bed with Aphrodisia, as Ersatz gestured towards the bar with a small smile at Scrivener, and the stallion nodded. He followed his cousin across the room, looking back and forth and noting a few things here and there they had taken from Ersatz's old apartment: some of the weird-looking furniture, a clock, the shelves of books and that funny-looking lamp. Ersatz noticed him looking around and chuckled quietly, saying softly: “Burning Desire has been extremely generous with me. I'm certainly in no position to complain, though.”

“Yeah, I wouldn't either. Well, no, I probably still would, but at least I'd feel bad about it.” Scrivener said mildly, glancing back and forth, and Ersatz gave another quiet laugh before she slipped behind the mini-bar as Scrivener smiled a little and sat up on one of the stools in front of it, resting his hooves against the surface and drawing his eyes over the back: he was somehow unsurprised to see the racks and cubbyholes were filled not just with wines and champagne, but ciders, soft drinks, and all kinds of other things as well.

Ersatz placed two shot glasses on the counter, then pulled a bottle of cola out of the rack and filled the glasses, asking softly: “When was the last time you drank?”

“Years and years ago. I think about it sometimes. I get that tickle, that... dry throat that's hard to explain if you don't know what I'm talking about.” Scrivener said softly, smiling a little as he glanced up at the mare, and then he knocked back the shot before asking in return: “How did you get so close to my mother?”

“She visited us often... do you remember your mother's cutie mark?” Ersatz asked softly, and Scrivener smiled again as he nodded: he did, and very clearly at that.

“Sure. It was a vine of grapes. I always... called her Teacup, but it was grapes.” Scrivener hesitated, drawing a hoof along the counter and nodding as Ersatz refilled his glass. “She... she made wine, I think, right?”

“Wines, juices, raisins, all sorts of things. She grew the grapes herself, though... her magic let her manipulate plant life, to a point.” Ersatz said softly, smiling a little over at Scrivener and studying him. “She and my father... they were both frowned upon. Father for his coat color, Tia Belle because her abilities were more suited for a slave hoof. And Bramblethorn...”

“Brambles.” Scrivener muttered, knocking back the glass again, and Ersatz poured him another before the stallion shook his head out a little. “Not much of a cutie mark. I think it was for his ability to be such an incredible asshole to everyone around him.”

Ersatz laughed quietly at this before drinking down her own shot, then refilling it and hesitating for a moment. “Do you remember what his talent actually was, though, Scrivener Blooms?”

“Picking on things smaller than him?” Scrivener asked dryly, and when Ersatz gave him a mild look, he shook his head a little and replied finally: “It was a low talent. That was part of the reason he was angry all the time, he wasn't some upper echelon magic-using unicorn, or even bourgeois. He was low class, running his filthy little shop, but even then he made me do all the work. Half the time I sat at the counter, which was the worst part of the job because unicorns would just. Come in and take things and not even cast me a second look, and what could a slave hoof like me do? And then Bramblethorn would... he would...”

Scrivener grimaced and looked away, shivering once, and Ersatz looked at him softly before the stallion rubbed slowly at his face. “He was good at making things out of scraps. His talent was for scrounging. It suited him, being such a parasite and all.”

“Like the kennel. Like the shop, and most of the things in it, which he made from recycled, old items. My father hated him. I was scared of him: he reminded me of the old stories about the skin thieves.” Ersatz said softly, and Scrivener smiled a bit at this and nodded a little, raising his glass.

Ersatz knocked her own against his, and there was silence for a moment before Scrivener glanced over his shoulder towards the bed, where Luna was feeding Innocence and Aphrodisia and Twilight were talking. And without looking around, the stallion asked curiously: “Is that why you were never really around? Because of Bramblethorn?”

“Honestly, Scrivener, how often did you ever see any other members of the family? And since almost all unicorn families in the north are interrelated, you should have been graced by a few visitors from time-to-time.” Ersatz said softly, and Scrivener smiled a little and nodded at this, surprised he hadn't really thought about that before. “Bramblethorn was like a poison to everyone around him. I... I still can't understand why Aunt Tia married him.”

“Desperation, maybe.” Scrivener murmured softly, looking down before he shook his head a little. “And well, he married Caprice, too. He's... he was awful, and just an immense douche, but if there's one thing I remember it's how hard he was always working to get up into the upper classes. He was good at sucking up, even if the smarter ones could always see that... nastiness about him.”

Ersatz studied him quietly, and Scrivener gazed back at her before the unicorn closed her eyes and smiled a little. “It's funny, Scrivener Blooms. This was what I wanted. Family, and friendship. I have everything I ever wanted and I got it all through failing at the end of a long, twisted journey of self-righteous delusion.”

“Then maybe there's some hope for all of us, Ersatz.” Scrivener said softly, and the unicorn chuckled quietly before they clinked their glasses together again, and then both drank deep and put them down. Their eyes turned to the bottle of cola, and Scrivener let his mind play out a little before he finally asked another question: “What's it like, Ersatz, to... to have a horn that works, after so many years of what you went through?”

Ersatz smiled softly at Scrivener, looking at him for a few long moments before she said gently: “It's good... and yet it's nothing compared to what it's like to have friends and family after many, many years of playing different roles and different characters, all to try and find the pony I blamed for every tragedy that happened throughout my lifetime.”

“You know what the funny part is? I do feel like I kind of caused your death and all.” Scrivener said ironically, and when Ersatz favored him with an amused look, the charcoal stallion cleared his throat and shook his head out a little. “Sorry, I... I forget sometimes not everyone is as irreverent when it comes to death and dying as I am.”

“That's alright, Scrivener Blooms. I find it an... endearing quality.” Ersatz replied after a moment, shaking her head slowly before she smiled a little. “Perhaps we can go and visit Aunt Tia sometime again. Maybe speak a little to my father, too. I'm sure he'd like to meet you.”

“I don't know if I should be scared of you, just smile and nod, or be honestly touched by the idea.” Scrivener smiled a little, and Ersatz chuckled quietly before the stallion nodded hesitantly. “Yeah. Alright. But I don't know what I'll have to say.”

“You'll find the right words.” Ersatz replied softly, and Scrivener smiled again after a moment, meeting her eyes with a slow nod. Somehow, he was sure that she was right.

PreviousChapters Next