• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 597 Views, 15 Comments

Everything is Certainly Fine, or "Magical Mystery Cure in three parts" - Kaj-Nrig



It started simply enough: "What if 'Magical Mystery Cure' were given room to expand and grow?" Then things took a turn, and now it seems Celestia never sent a letter in the first place...

  • ...
 15
 597

Part 1, Chapter 3: Dawn

Part 1
Chapter 3 – Dawn

It is nearing dawn. Luna and Celestia stand on one of the many balconies of the castle, each preparing to perform their respective duties.

Luna paws nervously at the stone beneath her feet; she cannot shake the unease that is persistently crawling under her skin. Twilight Sparkle, Celestia's protege, suffered nightmares tonight, and what little of them Luna tasted was pungent and distasteful, like fine wine left to sour. This unease... she thinks perhaps she has felt this before. It is a sensation she should remember.

“Be careful this morning, sister,” she says as she lowers the moon over the horizon. “Many bad dreams last night.” She adds, a bit too quickly, “Your bodyguards dreamed you were actually the changeling queen.”

Celestia laughs, and Luna feels some of the tension loosen within her breast. Perhaps her sometimes overactive imagination is simply getting the better of her. “Why don't you ever refer to anypony by their name, Luna? They ARE your friends and subjects, after all.”

“They're YOUR friends and subjects, sister. They would do anything for you. They're hardly MY anything.”

Celestia gives her a teasing, knowing look, and it is all Luna can do to keep a straight face. Still too perceptive by half, her sister.

Together, the two princesses begin taking down the stars, pulling them one by one out of the night sky. This is one of the few things that Luna and Celestia do together. It began simply enough, as a means of easing both princesses into roles they had abandoned a millennium ago. Yet despite the two years that have passed, despite having fully reclaimed her powers as princess of the night, Luna still insists that they share this particular duty. Perhaps she still doubts her abilities. Perhaps she fears she will relapse into the jealousy that nearly tore their kingdom apart. Or perhaps she just cherishes the quiet conversations with her sister that this activity affords, now more than ever. Whatever the reason, her sister has yet to object.

“Luna,” Celestia says, not stopping in her work, “I know for a fact you love watching what they dream up while they're sleeping.”

Luna pauses. “Well... I admit there is some small joy in knowing everypony's deepest secret.”

Celestia looks at her again, scandalized. Luna keeps her expression carefully schooled, and tentatively sets aside her anxiety. Nothing is the matter, she assures herself. It must be my imagination.

As Celestia rises into the air, though, she locks eyes with Luna, and the lighthearted conversation dies instantly. Much can be divined from one look, and whatever goes unsaid between Luna and Celestia in this moment makes the sun goddess's ears snap forward and her head stand just a little straighter. “Dreams, you said?” Celestia's voice is neutral enough, but there it is, underlying her words: unease, like soured wine.

“Twilight Sparkle, your student, suffered from one not long ago. I only caught a glimpse of it, but there was something about it. Something...” And the word that comes unbidden to her lips sends a shiver down her spine before she even utters it. “...ominous.”

Another moment of silence passes before Luna repeats, “Be careful, sister.”

“I will. Thank you, Luna.” With that, Celestia pulls the last star out of the sky—

The world cracks sharply, and both princesses' ears fill with the sound of shattering glass. Celestia tumbles from the sky while Luna suddenly finds her footing fail her. Both cry out soundlessly against the sensation of something reaching into them and pulling—

And, as quickly as it happens, it stops.

For a moment, neither of them knows who or where they are. “Twilight Sparkle...” Luna barely recognizes her own voice.

“Y-yes,” Celestia agrees. Her voices sounds shaky and, for the first time in a long time, afraid. “We need the Elements of Harmony.” She is up to her feet in seconds, Luna moments behind her.

Their guards do not come when called, however. Neither do their servants, nor their messengers. “Strato Sphere!” Celestia commands.

The silence that follows digs into Luna in a way she didn't think possible; only a second passes before Celestia marches loudly to the door, but in that second, Luna is back on the moon, back in the emptiness, the coldness, the perpetual... silence. She is waiting for the prophesied time, the malice coursing through her veins like something old, and powerful, and wild. And there is the taste on her tongue of soured wine.

Her sister has thrown open the chamber door and is berating Strato Sphere, who looks as if he has just woken from a dream. A dream. Luna wishes this were a dream. A dream like Twilight's. Twilight's dream. A dream of Ponyville at dawn. She, the night, on one side. And on the other, the sun, and Celestia—

It would be so easy, she hears herself say. Just a bit of magic, Princess of the Night, and aim it at her. Just a small bit of revenge. What is revenge compared to a thousand years of imprisonment for the crime of wanting to be loved?

So easy. It would be so easy. And so right. Luna can't believe how right this feels. She readies the spell, points it almost nonchalantly...

All you wanted was to be loved, Princess.

Yes—no. No, this isn't right. She doesn't want this. Luna stumbles backwards, shaking her head to clear her thoughts. She is past all this. She is Nightmare Moon no more.

Nightmare Moon no more. Nightmare Moon no more. Nightmare Moon no more...

She repeats this mantra, and slowly, things come back into focus. Celestia and Strato Sphere's voices, first. The sounds of the night second. Then the smell of morning grass, and cool stone beneath her hooves. And finally, her vision, which was until a moment ago filled with nothing but twinkling lights upon a black canvas. She keeps her eyes glued to her elder sister. Her sister, who was and is the cornerstone of her life. Her sister, who rules over the sun as she rules over the moon. Her sister, whose reign is magnificent and just. Her sister, whose... whose...

Whose cutie mark has changed.

“Sister,” Luna says, and there is no hiding her consternation now. She points at her sister's flank, which is distinctly bare.

“Your cutie mark is gone.”

-_-_-_-

Part 1, Chapter 3 END

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait. Will try to get to the end of this first episode by the season 4 premiere.