• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 12,918 Views, 886 Comments

Gotta Dash 'em All - Rainbow Dash the Awesome

  • ...
40
 886
 12,918

Chapter 9: Tracking Team Rocket

“Oshawott! Oshawott!” Rainbow Dash’s Oshawott jumped up and down, facing the direction its trainer had been taken.

“Oh Oshawott,” Iris said as she picked up Oshawott and gave him a comforting hug, “I promise we’ll get Rainbow Dash back.

“But how?” Cilan asked. “They took off too fast for us to follow, and we don’t even know if they kept a straight path when they did. For all we know he only flew that way to fool us and then changed direction when he got out of sight.”

“Well what else are we supposed to do?” Ash demanded. “We can’t just leave Rainbow Dash in the hands of Team Rocket; who knows what they’ll do with her?!?”

Cilan held up his hands defensively, “Easy, Ash, fighting with me isn’t going to bring Rainbow Dash back here any sooner. We need a plan to find her.”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Ash asked him.

Iris stood up and replied, “Wait a minute, maybe Professor Juniper can help.”

“How?” Ash turned to Iris. “I know she’s smart, but if she could track Team Rocket that easily she would have helped the police find them and arrest them a long time ago.”

“Well that may be,” Iris frowned, “but she’s our best hope. Besides, we need help pronto, and Professor Juniper is staying not far from here.”

“She is?” Ash thought for a moment, then remembered “Oh yeah, she said she was going to meet us tomorrow at the Pokemon center.”

“Exactly,” Iris nodded, “if she’s planning to meet us tomorrow, she wouldn’t have gone all the way back to her lab in Nuvema Town.”

“That’s right,” Cilan smiled, “she must be staying in the village where she gave Rainbow Dash her Oshawott.”

Oshawott nodded his head quickly, “Osha, Osha, Oshawott!”

Ash walked over to the spot where Vullaby’s Pokeball was lying on the ground. He reached down, picked up the Pokeball, turned to Vullaby, and returned Vullaby to the Pokeball. “We’ll need to get there fast. Every minute we wait is another minute Rainbow Dash is in danger.” He held the Pokeball up to his face, and shed a tear when he remembered how just the night before he had given that same Pokeball to Rainbow Dash. “I promise, Rainbow Dash, wherever those monsters took you, we will save you.”


Rainbow Dash groaned as she slowly woke up. “Oh, my head,” she reached a hoof up to rub her head, but began to hear a metallic clanking noise coming from her hoof. She curiously looked to he
r hoof and noticed that a metal cuff had been placed around it, which was connected to the floor by a chain. “What the hay?” She stood up, only to hear the clanking of even more chains. Looking down, she realized that there ware identical cuffs around all four of her hooves, along with one on her neck. “What’s going on? Where am I?”

“You are at Team Rocket’s Unova base,” came a voice from behind her. Rainbow Dash quickly looked up, and finally got a glimpse of where exactly she was. There was a cylindrical wall of glass surrounding her, which was in the middle of a circular, metal room. All around the room, Team Rocket operatives in white lab coats were busily typing on computers, although Rainbow Dash could not see what was on the screens because they were facing away from her. At the end of the room was a small flight of stairs, and walking down the stairs was a sinister-looking man with gray hair, a shaggy mustache, a pair of glasses, and a white lab coat.

“W-who are you?” Rainbow asked nervously.

“Oh, where are my manners?” the man joked, “My name is Dr. Zager, the leading scientist responsible for the technology behind Team Rocket’s aspirations.”

“Ambitions?” Rainbow Dash glared at him, “And just what are Team Rocket’s ambitions?”

Dr. Zager chuckled, “You really haven’t been in this universe very long have you? Team Rocket’s ambitions are for nothing less than complete world domination, and with your power we will expand that domination to multiple worlds.”

“My power?” Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow, “What power?”

“Why, the power you used to reach our universe of course. With a power like that, we shall conquer not only our own world, but all other worlds as well.”

“What?!?” Rainbow Dash slammed her hooves against the walls of the cylinder, only to receive a powerful electrical pulse, “AH!”

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Dr. Zager taunted.

Rainbow Dash struggled to stand back up and growled “Well it’s a really good thing you’re not me.” She coughed, “And there’s no way I’m gonna help you invade any other universes. I couldn’t even if I wanted to.”

Dr. Zager turned to her, “What are you talking about?”

Rainbow Dash gave a sly grin, “Sorry to disappoint you, but I was sent here by mistake. The only reason I’m still here is because I haven’t found a way to get home. Looks like you went to all this hard work for nothing.”

Dr. Zager smirked, “Forgive me if I don’t believe you.”

“Dr. Zager,” one of the scientists at the computers spoke up, “our scans are detecting latent traces of an unknown energy around the Pokemon.”

“And that’s another thing,” Rainbow spoke up, “I am NOT a Pokemon. There aren’t even Pokemon in my universe.”

“Silence,” Dr. Zager held up a remote and pressed a button, sending another surge of electricity to Rainbow Dash.

“AAAAHHHH!” Rainbow Dash collapsed in agony, struggling to stand up.

“Good, now maybe you‘ll stay quiet so we can continue without interruption.” Dr. Zager walked over to the computer where the scientist had told him about the strange energy. He looked at the screen in confusion, “My, this is very unusual. It looks as if this Pokemon has used the move Magic Coat on itself, but it does not appear to have any Psychic-type traits.” He looked over to Rainbow Dash, who had just struggled to her hooves. “It looks as if you were telling the truth. Nothing in this scan indicates any ability to travel between dimensions. Whatever force sent you here only left a faint trace of its power on you, not enough to harness properly.”

Rainbow Dash coughed, “So, does that mean you’re going to let me go?”

“No,” a familiar voice spoke from the top of the stairs. Rainbow Dash looked up and gasped when she saw Giovanni.

“You!” Rainbow Dash glared at him, “You were the one who captured me!”

“I know,” Giovanni replied as he walked down the stairs and stood in front of Rainbow Dash. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Giovanni, and I am the leader of Team Rocket.”

“Leader?” Rainbow Dash responded, “You mean you were the one who came up with that stupid plan to use me to go to other dimensions?”

Giovanni scowled at her, “Yes, but now that I see you cannot send us to other universes, I will have to resort to plan B.”

“Plan B?” Rainbow Dash asked, “What’s plan B?”

Giovanni grinned, “You proved last night that you are exceedingly powerful, destroying an entire airship in a single strike. With that power, you will be a perfect member of the Team Rocket forces.”

“You want me to join you?!?” Rainbow Dash yelled, “No way!”

“Don’t be so sure of that, my multi-colored friend,” Giovanni smirked, “we can be very persuasive.”


“Sorry, I haven’t seen Professor Juniper since you were in here this morning,” the clerk at the Pokemart shook his head.

Ash frowned, “Well, thanks anyway.”

The clerk nodded, “Sorry I couldn’t be of any help. If I see Professor Juniper later I’ll be sure to tell her you were looking for her.”

“Good, thanks for that,” Ash replied as he turned and walked out of the Pokemart.

“Any luck, Ash?” Iris asked as she saw him exit the Pokemart.

Ash shook his head sadly, “No, how about you Iris.”

Iris frowned, “Sorry, I couldn’t find her either, and nobody I talked to knew where she was either.” Rainbow Dash’s Oshawott, who was currently walking alongside Iris, shook his head to confirm this report.

“Maybe we were wrong,” Ash replied sadly, “maybe she isn’t still here. Maybe she did go back to her lab in Nuvema Town.”

“Don’t say things like that, Ash,” Iris gave a comforting smile. “We’ll never find her with that attitude. Remember who we’re doing this for. Rainbow Dash is tough and confident, and if we want to help her you’re going to have to stop blaming yourself and start being tough and confident yourself. You’ve never had a problem doing that before, why start now?”

“Osha, Oshawott,” Rainbow Dash’s Oshawott nodded.

“See?” Iris smiled, “Oshawott thinks so too.”

Ash perked up, “You’re right, we can’t give up hope.”

“That’s the spirit.”

“Hey guys,” Cilan called from around the corner, “I found where Professor Juniper’s staying.”

Ash and Iris beamed and asked “You did?” in unison.

“Yeah,” Cilan affirmed, “she’s staying in a cabins on the edge of town, right over there.” He pointed to the end of the street, where there was a number of small cabins.

“Perfect,” Ash smiled, “let’s go find her pronto.” He started running in the direction of the cabins, Iris and Cilan following close behind.

As they passed the first few cabins, Iris pointed to one of them and yelled “Look, there’s Professor Juniper’s car!”

Ash looked where Iris was pointing, “You’re right, that must be where she’s staying.” He and the others ran up to the door of the cabin and knocked on the door.

The door opened, and Professor Juniper stood in the doorway. She smiled when she saw the group “Hi there, I wasn’t expecting to see you back here so soon.” Suddenly, she looked confused and started looking around, before inquiring “Where’s Rainbow Dash?”

“That’s just it!” Ash frantically responded, “She was captured by Team Rocket!”

Professor Juniper gasped “Oh no! We have to find her fast!”

“Exactly,” Ash nodded quickly, “that’s why we’re here. We were hoping you could use your research equipment to track them down somehow.”

When she heard this, Professor Juniper snapped her fingers, “Wait a minute, did Rainbow Dash have Oshawott with her when she was taken?”

“Oshawott,” Oshawott walked up to her and shook its head.

“Well,” Professor Juniper frowned, “that answers one question, but it raises another.”

“What is it?” Iris asked.

“Why isn’t Oshawott in its Pokeball?”

“Because Rainbow Dash decided to let it stay out, just like I do with Pikachu and Iris does with Axew,” Ash replied. “She still has Oshawott’s Pokeball in her belt.”

“That’s it!” Professor Juniper beamed. She quickly turned and walked back into the cabin, only to emerge a few seconds later with a small device resembling a Pokedex.

“What’s that?” Ash inquired.

“You see, Ash,” Professor Juniper explained, “when you told me Team Rocket had tried to capture Rainbow Dash, I figured they weren’t going to give up after a single defeat, so I planted homing devices on the Pokeballs for the three starter Pokemon I offered her. When she chose Oshawott, I deactivated the homing devices on the Pokeballs for Snivy and Tepig. If Rainbow Dash still has Oshawott’s Pokeball, we can use this to track her.” She turned the device to show Ash and the others. On the screen was an overview map of the Unova region with two dots on it, one of which was green and the other of which was blinking red. “The green dot is our location, and the red one is the location of Oshawott’s Pokeball and, presumably, Rainbow Dash.”

“That’s amazing!” Ash beamed. He looked at the screen carefully, before he continued, “Looks like it’s about two hours away from here. Come on, let’s go.” He turned to start running, but Professor Juniper placed a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“Wait,” she instructed, “if you’re going to get Rainbow Dash back, you’re going to need reinforcements.”

“Reinforcements?” Ash raised an eyebrow, “What kind of reinforcements?”

“Follow me,” Professor Juniper walked back into the cabin. Ash and the others followed her, and found her standing next to a phone with a Pokeball transport machine. She pressed a button on the phone and the screen blinked to life.

On the screen was one of Professor Juniper’s research assistants. He smiled when he saw the professor on the screen, “Hello professor, is there something you need?”

“Yes,” Professor Juniper nodded, “I need you to send me the Palpitoad, Unfezant, Leavanny, Snivy, and Scraggy that are registered to Ash Ketchum.”

The assistant’s eyes widened, “But ma’am, that trainer currently has six Pokemon on his team. We aren’t allowed to send him any more unless he sends some back to us.”

“We need to make an exception this time,” Professor Juniper replied. “There may very well be a life at stake, so this is no time to worry about the rules. If the Pokemon League Association gets upset about this, I’ll accept full responsibility for it.”

“Okay,” the assistant said, still unsure, “I’ll send them right over.” He walked off to the side of the screen, and moments later returned and began to send the Pokeballs of the specified Pokemon through the transporter.

“Thank you very much,” Professor Juniper collected the Pokeballs from the machine.

“You’re welcome, and good luck,” the assistant responded before turning off the screen.

“Ash,” Professor Juniper walked over to Ash and handed him the Pokeballs she had received from the lab, “you’re going to need to be at your strongest if you’re going to save Rainbow Dash. Are you ready?”

“Of course I’m ready!” Ash clenched his fist in anticipation.

“Great,” Professor Juniper nodded confidently, “we’ll take my car. The scanner says the base is about a two hour walk from here, but there’s a road leading there as well. It’s longer than the foot path, but should still cut down our time by at least an hour and a half.

“Perfect,” Ash cheered as he and the others ran outside and got in the car.

“Hang on tight,” Professor Juniper warned them, “the road to that area is very bumpy.” She started the engine and started driving in the direction of the signal.

The group drove for about twenty five minutes until they began to approach the face of a tall cliff. Hidden in the shadow of the cliff, they could see a black tower with a large red R on the front. “Well,” Ash spoke, “this definitely looks like the place.” The group continued to drive, not noticing as they passed an infrared security beam between the trees.


A red light began to blink above the door to the room where Rainbow Dash was being kept. As soon as they saw the lights, all of the scientists stood up and ran to the exit to confront the intruders. Giovanni grinned, “Well, it seems the cavalry has arrived for you.”

Rainbow Dash stood up and smirked, “You shouldn’t be so cocky, Giovanni. That cavalry is going to wipe that ugly grin off your face.”

“Oh, I think not,” Giovanni mocked. He reached a hand down and pressed a button in front of Rainbow Dash’s containment cell. The walls of the cell retracted into the floor and the chains connecting Rainbow to the ground were unhooked from her cuffs. “I believe they’ll be wiping the grin off your face.”

“Not likely, chump!” Rainbow charged at Giovanni. Before she could make contact, Giovanni pressed a button on the control panel, and Rainbow stopped in mid-air. “What the hay?” Rainbow Dash tried to struggle, but her legs were stuck in place.

“The cuffs are being held firmly in place by magnetic fields,” Giovanni responded. “And now, it’s time for you to join us.”

“I’ll never join you!” Rainbow Dash stuck her tongue out at Giovanni.

Giovanni simply reached down under the control panel, and came back up holding a strange helmet with antennae and a black light bulb on the top. “We’ll just see about that,” he placed the helmet on Rainbow Dash’s head.

“Wh-what are you doing?!?” Rainbow gulped.

Giovanni grinned, “Showing you the way of Team Rocket,” as he pressed a button on the helmet.

Author's Note:

I was going to have him use a Dark Ball like the guy in the Celebi movie, but I decided on a more creative trick that doesn't make it look like Rainbow Dash really is a Pokemon.