• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 686 Views, 19 Comments

Pony's Story - Philosophical Tree



After being sucked into a devilishly enchanted foal's pop-up book and turned into fillies, Twilight and her friends have to traverse the dangerous and drastically altered storybook world in order to get back home. Based off of Yoshi's Story

  • ...
2
 19
 686

Path 2.2: Blargg's Reformation

Her hoof fell on the second path, which was labelled "Blargg’s Inferno". She strode onto it, pausing to mull over what the sign meant.

‘So... either I’m walking into Tartarus, or a lava pool. I’m not fond of either. Heat will do quite a number on my mane and tail... but, such is the curse of a lady in the underground.’ Holding herself high, she strode down the path into the unknown.

As she walked, the air around her began to grow heavy and hot. It wasn’t long before she began to perspire. She wished she would have had the foresight to bring a fan or something else to cool herself down with. Instead, she had to settle for a hoof, waving it back and forth as she paused, thoroughly disgruntled.

“My word, what is causing this dreadful heat? From what I’ve heard, Tartarus isn’t near as hot as this.” She groaned unhappily, still trying to fan herself. It was to no avail, and eventually she stopped trying and instead turned her attention to walking further into the cave. Around her the only sounds she could hear were the sounds of her own hoofbeats on the dirt path. There was no light apart from the small glow of her horn. And it kept getting hotter.

“I swear to Celestia, if I don’t find out what is causing this heat, I am going to... oh, how does it go?” She paused again, tapping a hoof to her chin. “Flip out. Yes, that’s it. I am going to flip out soon. Oh, my poor mane.” She gazed dolefully at it, now limp and damp from her sweat. Her perfectly styled mane, ruined. She could barely bear to look at it.

However, the flipping out would have to be put on hold. For, rounding a bend, she found the source of the growing heat. A vast lake of lava lay before her, as far as the eye could see. The roof of the cave wasn’t visible from her position, and neither were any of the walls. All she could see was the liquid death glowing before her, and the skeletons of massive creatures jutting out of it.

And there was no way across.

Rarity sat herself down gracefully, trying hard to believe what she was seeing. There was no way she would be able to get across all of what lay before her, even with her magic. And considering she wasn’t half as powerful as Twilight, her chances were even more slim. There was no bridge, no boat, no means of crossing the lake before her.

‘Except...’ She turned to look at the skeletons of the titanic creatures. To her amazement, somepony had taken the time to turn the bones of the fallen beasts into a bridge of sorts. Granted, it wasn’t a bridge she was too keen on walking, but it was a bridge nevertheless. She grimaced as she stepped over, looking at it warily.

“Will that even support me?” she wondered aloud. “And furthermore... oh, I do hope it’s clean, at the least. Maybe all this time by all this heat will have sterilized them.” Being as careful and dainty as possible, she stepped onto the closest skeleton, testing it to see if it would give out under her. To her relief, the bones held strong. By that logic, she reasoned that either the lake was not that deep... or whatever creature had these bones was massive beyond measure.

Now feeling a little bit more courageous, Rarity trotted forward, intent on reaching the other side of the lake and getting herself out of there. The path of the skeletons was narrow, and she had to monitor her every step to make sure she didn’t slip and fall into the lava waiting below. And, as she soon discovered, it was not one skeleton, but many. As she reached the end of the first, she found herself at a loss as to what to do. The gap spanning the two skeletons was not short by any standards, and Rarity was unsure whether or not she could make the jump.

“I can’t turn back... I have to try.” Nodding and steeling herself, Rarity went a few paces back, crouching into a sprinter’s stance. Nodding once again, she charged forward, and with a graceful leap, bounded across the chasm of lava and onto the next skeleton. As she landed, she heard a crack under her hooves. She quickly moved onto the next piece of bone as the one she had landed on sank into the lava. Rarity paused, wiping her brow with a hoof to get her mane out of her eyes.

“Dear Celestia... that was most unpleasant.” She watched the bone disappear beneath the glowing pool. As she watched, something else moved in the lava. She blinked, rubbing at her eyes. “Was that... no, I must be seeing things. Must be a trick of the light.” Even so, Rarity moved on with a great deal more caution than before. She could have sworn she saw a pair of eyes staring back at her.

As she continued along this new skeleton, which was much longer than the first, she began to hear a strange moaning coming from somewhere down the pathway. As she watched, what appeared to be a ghost made from pure fire leapt out of the lava in front of her, groaning as it flew over the pathway and back into the firey depths of the pool. It took Rarity a moment to stop quivering in fright.

‘Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to be trying to hurt me. I still think it would be unwise to touch it, though.’ She quickly made her way down the path, trying hard to avoid getting burned by one of the numerous fire spirits leaping out of the lava. The spirits moaning began to meld together, forming a long continuous strong that caused chills to run down Rarity’s spine, despite the lava pool below her.

As she came to the end of the second skeleton, she didn’t bother to stop this time, opting to make the leap across in one swift motion. Unfortunately, this meant she didn’t observe exactly what she was landing on. As her hooves alighted on the rib of the creature, she felt the bone beneath her begin to bend downwards. Her eyes widened in fear, and she looked about, trying to find the path. The only other object in front of her was another rib, and she was dangerously close to losing her chance. She made the jump to the next rib, only to feel it, like its comrade, begin to dip towards the lava.

“Oh, you must be joking!” She cried, making yet another leap and landing on yet another rib, which began to dip as well. Thus the pattern was as she leapt from rib to rib, trying not to slip to her demise in the lava below. She didn’t even bother trying to see when this agony would end, as looking up and away from what she was doing could easily be her downfall.

After what felt like hours, Rarity finally landed on solid, unwavering bone once more. Despite her earlier protests, she bent down, gently placing a kiss on the bone.

“Thank you! Oh, thank Celestia, it’s finally over.” Rarity laughed, raising her head and looking at what lay ahead. Her laugh died in her throat. The eyes were back, sitting just on the surface of the lava. They blinked at her momentarily, before they began to shoot upwards at an alarming rate. Rarity could only watch in stunned silence as one of the most disgusting and terrifying things she had ever seen rose up before her.

Lurching up to its imposing, seven foot height was a creature born of the lava. Its entire body was composed of the liquid, although it was slightly solidified into a gelatinous mass. Most of the visible creature was mouth, a large gaping maw with a wickedly crooked tongue and razor sharp teeth. Two scrawny arms jutted out from either side of the body, and the eyes which had been watching her were now resting on top of the beast.

Then, leaning down, the beast let out a mighty bellow.

“BLAAAARRRGGGGGG!”

Rarity was nearly blown off her hoofs by the force of its breath, but managed to hold her ground. She frowned in annoyance, glaring up at the beast. All trace of her fear was forgotten as she cried out in fury.

“Now see here, you uncouth rapscallion! That was pitiful. You should be ashamed of yourself.” Unbelievably, the beast paused, closing its mouth and staring at her with doleful eyes. Rarity decided to continue. “I can see that you have the makings of a true gentlecolt, and a gentlecolt does not scream ‘Blargg’ at the top of his lungs. Come now, let me teach you.”

At a nod from the monster, Rarity set to work.

__________

Well over an hour and a half later, Rarity and Blargg, as she had discovered his name was, were sitting down and enjoying a cup of tea. As it turns out, Blargg was incredibly receptive to Rarity’s lessons, and within a short period of time had gone from terrifying monster to slightly unsavory gentlecolt.

“I say,” Blargg crooned, still trying to work on his rasp. “This is absolutely delightful tea, is it not? I never knew that being a gentlecolt was so magnificently wonderful.” Rarity nodded, waving a hoof.

“Oh, I understand completely. Although I love my friends dearly, sometimes one just needs the company of a true lady or gentlecolt. And you are too kind about the tea. It’s nothing special, just what I could whip up with the resources available to me.” Blargg shook his head with a laugh.

“You are far too modest, my dear.” Rarity turned her head, her cheeks flushing. “This is simply divine in terms of its flavor. You are a master of your trade, Rarity.” Rarity waved her hoof again, her flush deepening.

“Oh, stop it, you little devil. You’re embarrassing me.” Rarity paused, remembering what she was down there for. “Do you mind if I ask you something, Blargg dear?” The lava beast nodded, so Rarity continued. “Have you seen a necklace in this cave? One with a diamond shaped amethyst set in it?”

“Oh, you mean that delightful little thing that’s floating on the west end of the cavern?” Blargg nodded, making Rarity smile.

“Yes! That’s it! That got taken from me, and I would dearly love to have it back.” Rarity put on her best gentle pout and gazed at Blargg with best, winning gaze. “Would you be a dear and show me where it is?” Blargg nodded.

“Oh, I’ll do one better than that. I’ll take you there myself.” Blargg replied confidently. Rarity smiled, glad she was getting her Element back, but paused at his words.

“Please tell me you’re not going to carry me. I would burn alive if you so much as laid a hand on me.” Blargg laughed in reply.

“Not to worry, not to worry. I have a solution.” Reaching down into the lake below him, Blargg grabbed onto and pulled into the air what appeared to be a small, blue and silver platform. Of course, if was hard for Rarity to tell, given that it was glowing yellow due to the heat. She gazed at it warily. Blargg, noticing her look, reassured her. “Just give it a second, darling. It needs to cool a bit.”

Blargg’s words were true as the platform assumed its normal color, all trace of heat vanishing from it. Rarity smiled, and with a graceful leap, landed on the platform, ready to be escorted. “Well now, my good sir, shall we be off?” Blargg’s only response was a nod, and he began to slide through the lava. Of its own volition, the platform began to follow.

As the two travelled the long distance to the cavern’s west end, the broke into conversation once more. Rarity was curious as to what Blargg had done before she had come along, so the lava monster obliged her.

“I used to do what you found me doing earlier, Rarity. I laid in wait, poised to frighten travellers out of my home. Of course, it has been almost three years since a pony has come through these caves, not since that dark force showed up and started changing things. I miss those fillies... even though I was always trying to scare them... they were so kind to me.”

Rarity watched Blargg carefully. She could see something behind his words, some deeper meaning. But what it was eluded her, unless... ‘no... no way. He couldn’t...’

“Blargg, dear... you weren’t always like this, were you?” She asked hesitantly. Blargg didn’t respond immediately, and Rarity thought she had said something to offend him. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t really have prodded-”

“I was once like you... a pony. But that was a long, long time ago.” Blargg’s response was exactly what Rarity thought it was going to be. As if reading her mind, Blargg went on, his voice heavy. “I know what the next question will be: What happened to make me this way? Well, listen well. We’ve still got some time til we reach the other side, so I’ll tell my tale.

“Long ago, this land used to be blissful and perfect. Nopony was bad, nopony was hurt, or in danger, nothing was wrong. It was a peaceful place. All because of a little thing called the Tree of Harmony. Centered at the heart of this world, the tree gave life and light to all, almost a beacon of sorts. Well, one day, the tree vanished. It was stolen, right out from under our noses, by a vicious ruffian that went by the name King Bowser. He was a dragon, but one of great magical ability. He went on to mutilate the world around him, changing it to better suit his desires.

“That is what happened here. This cave used to be beautiful, full of bright, colorful crystals and flowers. I lived here with a group of ponies and cave dragons, the latter of whom, after all was said and done, now compose the bridge you were walking on earlier. Of all the ponies that King Bowser could have picked for his evil whims, he picked me. He filled the cavern full of lava, and turned me into this,” he gestured to himself. “I can still see it all. It was horrible. Those spirits you saw earlier, leaping across the bridge? Those were the other ponies. Those were my friends.

“I’ve been this way ever since then. No matter how many times the fillies passed through here and recovered the tree, nothing’s changed. King Bowser keeps stealing it, and they have to keep getting it back. And me? I’m still stuck here... alone.”

By the end of Blargg’s tale, Rarity was trying hard to fight back tears. It was one of the saddest things she had ever heard.

“Oh, Blargg. I am so, so sorry,” She cooed consolingly, reaching out with her hoof. “I didn’t mean to make you recount such horrible memories.” Blargg waved her off.

“Think nothing of it. It doesn’t bother me as much anymore... oh, we’re here.” Rarity looked up and noticed that, indeed, they had arrived at the western edge of the cavern. She could see the Element of Generosity floating above the pathway, wrapped in light. Leaping from her platform, she trotted over to it. The magic inside the Element took effect, wrapping itself around her neck. Once it had, she turned back to Blargg. Even as the wall opened up behind her, she ignored it.

“Thank you so much, Blargg, dear. I’ll never forget you and your kindness.” Blargg gave her a sad smile.

“Just find those fillies, would you, darling? I’d greatly appreciate it.” Rarity placed a hoof on her chest.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, my friends and I shall find those fillies. I swear it.” With that, Rarity turned about, walking into the room and into the company of her friends. With a sad glance back, Rarity saw Blargg give her one last wave before the wall sealed up, and he was gone.

“Rarity...” Rainbow Dash was staring at her in shock. “What... what the heck was that?” Rarity gave her a curious look.

“Whatever do you mean?”

“What was that... thing? That big, lava monster you were talking to?” Rarity glared at her.

“I’ll have you know, his name is Blargg, and he is a perfect gentlecolt, especially after I had my way with him.” The others were still staring at her in shock. Rarity was growing annoyed. “What is it? Say something!”

“It... it just,” Twilight began, unsure of how to phrase her response. “It’s wasn’t like you, to befriend something so... so... monstrous.” Rarity went to pat the back of her mane, but grimaced as she found it still clingy and damp.

“Well, I still have some surprises, it seems. Now, before I get to work on my hair, shall we see what lies in store on the next page?” The others nodded, and, as one, the walked up to the door. Twilight found the latch with her magic, and pulled it open. The sight before them was once again new and unexpected.

“Dibs.”