• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 3,202 Views, 151 Comments

Bolt of Love - Silentpegasus



Splintered Lance, Shinning Armor's oldest friend and comrade is reasigned to Ponyville to guard Twilight and the Elements. Can a designer help this battle scarred stallion cope with the sins of his past or will the pain be too much to bear?

  • ...
14
 151
 3,202

Chapter 8: Kisses and Beatdowns

Chapter 8

Kisses and Beat Downs

Back in Ponyville, Rarity was working away at her newest design. The tailor wiped the sweat from her brow as she reached the halfway mark. The seamstress heard a knock on the door and a familiar voice coming from the other side.

“Rarity? Mind if I come in?” The guard asked.

“Not at all darling.” Rarity said as she collected herself. The door opened to reveal the white Unicorn guard with a smile on his face. “Where’s Sweetie Belle?”

“I just dropped her off at AJ’s for a their ‘Cutie Mark Crusader Sleepover at Applejack’s.’” He said as he made quotation marks with his hooves. The white mare giggled at the words.

“Thank you darling.” She said before cracking her wrist and letting out a groan.

“Something wrong?” Lance asked as he walked over to the white mare.

“Nothing darling. I’ve just been working so hard on this design and I’m not even halfway through.”

“Wait, you’ve been up here for five hours straight?” He said in confusion.

“Yes, things like this take time and a lot of energy.” She said as the stallion walked up behind her.

“I think you need a break.” The white stallion put his hooves on Rarity’s shoulders and started to massage her aching muscles. The seamstress was a bit shocked at the stallion’s action but let it played out as she felt the stress melt away from her. Rarity was fighting her urges to spin around and tackle the stallion. “You know, I heard some weird noises coming from this room earlier today.” He said in a smug tone.

“Weird noises? Like what?” The mare said as she let out a small moan.

“It sounded like grunting, mixed with some moans.” Lance slowly moved his hoof down her back and next to her Cutie Mark. “Along with my name being shouted.” He said in a soft seductive tone. The mare was too consumed by pleasure to formulate a response as the guard started to rub her Cutie Mark in circular motions.

“I..I don’t know....what....you’re talking...... about.” She said as she tried to form a proper sentence. Her lower region was on fire and she felt her face burning up from the massage.

“Are you sure?” The stallion cooed. Rarity looked up towards the stallion and slowly started to stretch her lips towards his. She could feel his breath on her face and the heat radiating from his cheeks. The mare heard a faint noise in the back round. The noise was similar to an alarm clock. She looked at her lover’s head and saw that it was shaking rapidly.

Rarity’s eyes snapped open and saw the clock ringing and shaking in unison. She looked to her left and saw that she had her body wrapped around her pillow. The mare looked at the still ringing alarm clock and threw it against the wall, silencing it forever.

“Just when I was getting to the good part too.” She complained. The mare rolled out of bed and threw on her white robe. Rarity perked up when she smelt something cooking. She poked her head out of the door to see Sweetie Belle doing the same thing. “Do you smell that Sweetie?”

“Yeah, it smells great.” The filly said as she trotted downstairs. Rarity followed the filly downstairs to see the white stallion cooking over the oven.

“Ah, good morning.” He said with a smile.

“You’re healed?” Rarity said as she looked at his chest.

“It’ll take more than a manticore to kill me.”

“So is Applejack okay?”

“Oh yeah, it was a....false alarm.” He said as he served the pancakes on a plate. “You hungry?”

“Yeah!” Sweetie said as she sat down. Lance served her the flapjacks as Rarity sat down.

“You can cook?” Rarity asked.

“Of course.” He said with a smile. “When you’re on the road a lot you need to learn how to cook.” He said with a smile. The two ponies smiled as they ate.

“Well, this is quite good.” Rarity said with a smile.

“Thank you.” Lance said as he trotted towards the door. “Enjoy your meal.”

“What about you?” Rarity asked.

“I already ate.” He said with a smile. “I’ll catch you guys later if you need something than just call me.”

“How does that work Sweetie asked.” Lance trotted over to her and smiled.

“I set up a telepathic link with your sister and her friends. So long as you’re within range I can either teleport to you or reverse teleport.”

“Reverse teleport?”

“I can bring you to me rather than me going to you.”

“Oh.” The filly said with a smile.

“I can also use it to talk to you without speaking.”

“That’s so cool! Can I try?” The filly asked with a grin.

“Well....alright. Hold still.” Lance said as he touched his horn to the filly’s forehead. A small spark of magic made the filly grab her head in pain.

“Ow!” She said as she rubbed her head.

Sorry, the pain will wear off. Sweetie heard the guards voice inside her head and grinned.

“That is so cool!”

“Yeah, listen Sweetie, only use it in an emergency. It uses a bit of magic and gives me a nasty headache. Okay?”

“I promise.” The filly said with a smile. The guard patted her on the head before walking out of the boutique. Sweetie looked back at her sister who was watching the stallion leave. “Rarity?”

“Hmm? Oh what is it Sweetie Belle?”

“Do you like Lance?” She asked as she cocked her head. Rarity gulped as she tried to give her an answer.

“Well, I will say that he isn’t bad looking and he seems like a gentle colt.” The white mare said with a sigh. “It’s just...he’s a guard and he won’t be here forever.”

“Why don’t you ask Twilight to send a letter to the Princess so he can stay?”

“I can’t ask Twilight for that. Lance has a job he has to do and I can’t keep him from that.” The mare said in a low tone.

“What if we convince him to stay?”

“I don’t know. He’s a soldier Sweetie.” The mare argued as she held her face in her hooves. “Look, I have at least a dozen orders to fill today and I need to focus.”

“Okay.” The filly said as she held her head. “I just like Lance.”

“I know Sweetie. I know.” The mare said as she levitated the dirty dishes into the sink.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lance made his way through Ponyville keeping silent as he neared the strange forest. The white stallion made his way through the thicket and his mind started to wander off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lance and Midnight were making their way through the busy streets of Canterlot with their heads held high. The two constantly felt eyes on them as they spotted several posh ponies whispering and giggling to one another. Midnight turned her head back towards a stallion who was donning a top hat and monocle.

“Wanna run that by me again pretty boy?” She asked in a threatening tone.

“Mind your place half breed.” He said in a refined tone. Midnight snarled and raised a hoof.

“Why I ought to-” She was cut off as Lance put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Easy there Midnight. Don’t cause a scene.”

“Keep that pet of yours on a leash.” The stallion said in a rough tone. Lance’s eyes narrowed and approached the stallion. The posh pony gulped as he saw Lance towering over him.

“Look, pal I’m in too good a mood to beat the living snot out of you right now.” He said in a menacing laced tone. “But I will if you don’t give my friend the respect she deserves for enrolling in the Royal guard.” Midnight looked at Lance in surprise.

“R-royal guard?” The stallion said as he shook in fear.

“Damn straight. Top of her class too. So I suggest that you drop the attitude before I get angry.” Lance said as he cracked his neck. The Canterlot pony gulped and looked over at Midnight who glared at the stallion with her spliced eyes.

“T-terribly sorry ma’am.” He said as he nervously tipped his hat to her.

“N-no problem.” She said as she returned her gaze to the stallion.

“Good.” Lance said as he returned to his happy go lucky nature. “Have a pleasant day, sir.” Lance said before he and the bat mare walked away from the caffe. As the stallion took a sip from his water the waitress and surrounding ponies all had the same look of shock strewn across their faces.

“Damn, she’s lucky to be with a stallion like that.” The waitress said as she let out a whistle. Midnight’s face flushed red as she managed to make out the mare’s words as they left the area. As the two trotted along the road Lance saw an envelope sitting in the middle of the road.

The white stallion picked it up and cocked an eyebrow. “No return address. Weird.” He said with a shrug. “And the house isn’t too far away.”

“So?” Midnight asked in confusion.

“So, let’s go drop it off. It could be important.”

“Why? It’s not our job.”

“It’s called being nice. You should try it once in a while.” Lance said with a grin on his face as the two walked down the road. The mare silently grumbled to herself as the ponies made their way through the clean streets.

Lance double checked the address and saw a large bright pink building with a balcony above the entrance which had a massive golden gate in front of it with the letters. P.C. in the center. There was a small island of trees in the middle of the front lawn, surrounded by mulch.

“I’m gonna wait here.” Midnight said as she sat down in front.

“Why?”

“So that it’s only you that gets their flank kicked and thrown out.” She said with a smug grin.

“Ha, ha. Very funny.” Lance said as he trotted up the steps. The door was painted white and was in between two marble pillars. The white stallion knocked on the door three times and waited for a response. The stallion shrugged and lifted the door slot and was about to slide the envelope in when he heard a rustling noise coming from one of the trees.

He turned around only to be met with a bright pink wall of fur crashing into his face. Lance’s back hit the ground and groaned in pain.He looked up to see a bright pink mare with a tricolored mane and tail. Her mane had two shades of purple running from right to left while the final strand was butter yellow. Both mane and tail were set in place by a light blue bow. Another thing he took note of was the pair of wings that were folded against her sides.

“Got you this time!” She said in a playful tone.

“Um....what?” Lance said in confusion.

“Now for your reward.” Lance froze as the mare pressed her muzzle against his. Lance felt his lips come into contact with her’s and his face went scarlet. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Midnight, wide eyed and jaw hitting the floor in astonishment. The white stallion regained his senses and pushed the pink pony off of him. The mare looked at him in surprise. “I....I thought that’s what you wanted.”

“WANTED? I DON’T EVEN KNOW YOU LADY!” Lance said as he glared at the mare.

“But, all those letters you wrote.” She said as she pointed to the envelope laying on the ground. Lance face hoofed and connected the dots.

“Look, I’m not the pony who wrote this.” He said as he levitated the letter up to her. “I just found it in the street and brought it here.” He said as the pink mare looked at him in confusion.

“So you didn’t write this letter?”

“Pretty much.” The mare’s expression shifted from sad to enraged.

“Pervert!” Lance cocked his head in confusion at the mare’s outburst. “How dare you steal a kiss from me!” She yelled in rage. The Alicorn summoned a pink plastic bat and started hitting the stallion on the head. Midnight burst out in a fit of laughter as she saw the stallion trying to defend himself from the onslaught.

“Why-

whack

-are you-

whack

-hitting-

whack

-me?” Lance said as the mare continued the assault. “Midnight-

whack

-help!”

“Nah, I’m good.” She said as she sat in the far tree with her front hooves behind her head. The mare continued laughing as the helpless Lance cringed.

“Then go-

whack

-get-

whack

-Shining Armor!” The mare stopped the assault as the words left the stallion’s lips.

“Wait, you know Shining Armor?” She asked in confusion. All Lance could do was nod as he blacked out. Midnight then flew up to the two trying to contain her laughter.

“Yeah we know him, he’s our roommate.” She said with a giggle. The pink Alicorn face hoofed and groaned as she made the pink bat vanish.

“Ugh! I’m so stupid. He mentioned that he had two roommates. You must be Midnight.” She said as she looked at the bat mare.

“Yup and the stallion you just beat up is Splintered Lance.” She said as she pointed to the groggy stallion.

“Oh my gosh! Let’s get him inside.” She said as she levitated the white stallion inside and rested him on the couch. Lance opened his eyes to see the bat mare and pink Alicorn staring at him. The bat mare had a smug grin on her face while the pink mare’s was sick with worry. Lance’s eyes shrank and got into a defensive stance with his horn glowing.

“Stand back! Just because you’re a mare doesn’t mean I won’t fight you if I have to.” He said in a stern tone.

“Splintered Lance? Midnight Star?” The ponies all turned their heads towards a doorway. Lance’s eyes shrank as he saw the familiar outline of Princess Celestia. “What is going on here?” She asked as she saw the stallion’s battered state.

“One minute I’m delivering a letter, then this one is using her tongue to explore my mouth.” He said as he pointed to the pink alicorn. “She then proceeded to use my head for batting practice. So frankly your highness, I have no bucking idea what’s going on right now.” The white stallion then put a hoof to his black eye. Celestia cocked her head in confusion and looked at the mare’s who had a guilty look on their faces.

“Is this true?” She asked in a stern tone.

“Yeah, sorry Auntie.” The pink mare said as she held her head.

“AUNTIE?” The two guards said in surprise. Celestia then walked over to the pink Alicorn.

“Splintered Lance, Midnight Star I’d like you to meet my niece. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.”

“You can just call me Cadence.” She said with a small smile. Lance rolled his eyes at the mare as he rubbed his head. “I am SO sorry about that! I’ve just been REALLY, REALLY stressed lately.” She said in a saddened tone. “Can we start over?” She asked with a hopeful smile. Lance groaned and rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I guess.” He said with a groan.

“Thanks. Would you guys like some tea?” She offered.

“Thanks for the offer, but-” Midnight was cut off as the white Alicorn took a step forward.

“I insist.” She said with a warm smile. Lance and Midnight looked at one another and shrugged.

“Okay, if it’s no too much trouble I mean.” Lance said with a shrug.

“It’s no trouble at all. Come let’s eat.” The sun goddess said with a grin. The two guards followed the two ponies and sat down as they poured them each a cup of tea.

“So, Cadence was it?” The pink mare nodded. “How do you know Shining Armor?”

“I foal sit his little sister Twilight.” She said with a smile.

“Small purple unicorn filly?” Midnight asked.

“You know her?”

“We know of her from what Shining has told us.” Lance said as he sipped his tea.

“She’s actually going to be my personal student.” Celestia said with a smile.

“WHAT?” The two guards said in shock.

“Yes, she’s quite powerful in magic. Why just the other day she turned a small newborn dragon into a fifty foot monster.” Celestia said with a small laugh. Lance ginned and looked over at Midnight who grumbled. The white stallion stuck out his hoof towards the bat mare.

“I told you I saw a dragon the other day. Now pay up.” Midnight hissed and gave him a small bit bag. “Thank you.” The white stallion then shifted his attention back towards the Princess. “So you’re telling me that a filly did that?” Lance said in confusion.

“Yeah, thats Twilight. She’s full of potential.”

“Not to mention she’s so cute.” Cadence chimed. “I taught her the sweetest little dance last month and now she can’t get enough of it.” Cadence said with a giggle.

“Does this dance involve ladybugs?” Midnight inquired.

“Yeah, why?” The two guards grinned and started laughing. “Am I missing something?” Cadence said in an annoyed tone.

“Should we show em?" The bat mare nodded with a laugh. "We did promise Shining that we wouldn't sho anypony else in the guard.” Lance said as he looked at Midnight.

“Well, technically they’re not in the guard.” The bat mare said with a smile.

“Good enough for me.” Lance said as his horn flared and showed the memory. Celestia spit out her tea in surprise and started laughing. Cadence was immediately on the floor holding her sides trying to control herself. “It’s even better the eighty-sixth time!” Lance said with a laugh.

“Oh my Celestia! That was hilarious!” Cadence said as she collected herself. The white Alicorn wiped the tears form her eyes and looked at the clock.

“I’m terribly sorry everypony, but I must return to the castle. This has been a very....humorous afternoon.” She said with a giggle. “Goodbye. I’ll see you all later.” The ponies waved goodbye and watched the Princess leave.

"So Cadence, you said that you were stressed out?” Lance inquired. “If you don’t mind me asking, by what?”

“It’s all those letters!” She said in an irritated tone. “Every singe week fro the past three months they’ve been showing up on my doorstep.”

“Are they threatening you in any way?” Midnight asked.

“No, they’re very sweet and heart warming.” She said with a sigh. “I just wish I knew who was sending them. That’s why I kissed you when you dropped the letter in the box.” She said with a guilty laugh. “Are you sure you didn’t write this?” She asked as she levitated the letter over to Lance. The white stallion read the letter and chuckled.

“Nope, not my hoof writing. Furthermore I’m not one for the romance scene.” He said in a flat tone.

“Then how are you and Midnight a couple?” The two guards looked at one another in surprise as their faces turned scarlet.

“We are NOT a couple.” Midnight said as she hid her blush.

“Sorry, it’s kinda my job to assume stuff like that.” Cadence said in a guilty tone.

“How so?”

“I’m the Princess of Love.” She said as she pointed to her wings. The guards let out a collective ‘oh’ and nodded in agreement. Lance looked at the clock and his jaw dropped.

“GAH! Sorry Cadence, but I gotta go!” He said as he got to his hooves.

“Say hi to Shining for me!” Cadence said as Lance stormed out the door. The two mares looked at one another in confusion. “Where’s he going?”

“No idea.” Midnight said as she sipped her tea. “Hey why did you assume that Lance and I were an item?”

“Well, you two looked kinda cute together and I saw how you reacted when I kissed him so I just guessed.” Cadence said with a small blush. Midnight’s face turned bright red at the words. “So...do you like him?”

“NO!” Midnight said in defensive tone.

“Don’t try to lie to me. It’s written all over your face.” Cadence said in a sweet tone. The bat mare’s cheeks were a deep reddish hue and she immediately stood up.

“I’m out of here.” She said in a rough tone.

“When you take the plunge don’t hesitate to ask me for advice.” Cadence said as Midnight exited the door with a grunt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The white stallion dismissed the thoughts as he came to a clearing in the forest. He scanned the area and gave a satisfied nod.

Perfect spot. He thought as he eyed a large rock. The stallion’s horn flared and he focused on the massive boulder in front of him. His horn flared and charged towards the rock.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rarity was walking towards the library in a less than enthusiastic manner after being ripped away from her work by her cyan colored friend. As she entered the library she saw that her other friends were there as well.

“Okay Dash, ya brought us here for some big important reason. Let’s hear it.” The farmer said with a sigh.

“Okay, so while Scoots were leaving the Wonderbolts show we started talking to Spitfire and Soarin.” The cyan mare said as she sat down. “They wanted to see if we could hang out and you can’t ignore an offer like that. I mean they’re only the most awesomest ponies ever!”

“Rainbow, stay focused.” Twilight interjected in an annoyed tone.

“Right sorry, so I asked Spitfire about Lance. Ya know, since they’re in the military and what not.” The other mares then moved their head in to hear.

“Find anything out?” The lavender mare asked.

“That’s the thing, when I told them who it was they got super scared.”

“How scared?” The cyan mare thought for a moment as she tried to find a way to explain it to the purple mare.

“Imagine Celestia decided to confiscate all the books on that Star swirl guy you like so much.” The lavender mare’s eyes shrank and went into the fetal position as her eyes twitched.

“Wh-why would she do that?” She asked as she rocked back and forth on the ground.

“That scared.” Rainbow said as she pointed with her hoof. “They also said that he’s got a lot of nicknames.”

“Like what?” Fluttershy asked as she brought Twilight back from her near comatose state.

“Lightning Hoof Lance, Harbinger, which I’m not sure what that means and the Impaler.” She said with a shrug. The mares looked at one another in shock.

“What about the Oncoming Storm?” The cyan mare gulped as she heard a familiar voice. She slowly looked behind her and saw the white stallion cancel his invisibility spell. “That’s my personal favorite.” The Pegasus instantly jumped back and gulped.

“Wh-when did you get here?”

“About three minutes ago.” He said with a shrug.

“I didn’t hear you come in.” Twilight said.

“Looks, like I still got it.” He said with a smirk. “Now what else did they tell you?” He said as his eyes focused on the cyan mare.

“That’s it. I swear!” Lance narrowed his gaze on the cyan Pegasus and his horn flared.

“Looks like I need to have a chat with those two about confidentiality.” He said as he turned to walk away. He was then stopped by Twilight teleporting in front of him.

“Hold it right there.” She said in a bold tone. “You’re not going anywhere until we get some answers.” The white stallion chuckled a bit at her words.

“You really are Shining’s sister.” He said as he walked past her. The mare’s horn flashed again and appeared in front of him. “Look Twi, I’m in charge here so I’m asking you to kindly step aside.”

“Not until we get some answers.” The lavender mare’s horn glowed and a dome shield enveloped the group. Lance walked over to the edge of the shield and tapped it with his hoof.

“Looks like Shining’s Omega Shield.” He said in an analytical tone.

“That’s right. Completely impenetrable from-” The mare was cut off as the white stallion’s right hoof had a small bit of electricity crackling around it. He lightly tapped the shield and it started to crack and break apart. Twilight watched in shock as the dome seemed to evaporate. Lance looked at the shocked mare and smirked.

“This is foal’s play compared to your brother’s. I actually had to work to break it.”

“Y-you broke Shining’s shield?” Twilight said in shock. “That’s impossible! Nothing can get through there.”

“Except me.” He said in a calm tone. The lavender mare’s eyes twitched and her mane started to stick out in all directions.

“That’s impossible.....how did...when...” She was cut of as Applejack put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Settle down there sugar cube. Getting all flustered ain’t gonna help the situation.” Twilight let out a deep breath and looked at her friends.

“I just can’t see how he’s able to break Shining’s shield.”

“Well, no offense Twilight, but the Changeling’s got in.” Pinkie said in a soft tone.

“That’s only because he was under the Queen’s control and his magic was weak!” She said in a defensive tone. “Other than that, there’s no way Shining can lose!” Hearing the words, Lance made the connection and let out an ‘oh’ sound.

“I see what this is. Older brother god complex.” Lance said in a flat tone.

“Pardon?”

“Twilight is convinced that her older brother can’t lose to anypony and now that she’s met someone who can. She’s trying to deny it even though her brain knows that it’s true.” Lance said in a flat tone.

“That’s a lie!” She said in an aggravated tone.

“Is it?” Lance said with a smirk. “Your outbursts are only proving my point and it’s perfectly natural for the younger sibling to look up to the older, but there has to be a limit.” He said as he started to walk away from the group. Twilight’s horn flared and she fired a bolt of lavender magic at the stallion. Lance swung his tail at the orb of magic, knocking it off it’s path and making hit the far wall. “I’ll give you that one.”

“Huh?”

“Try to attack me again and I won’t hold back.” He said as he turned around and shot the lavender Unicorn an icy stare. “I don’t care who you are. I will defend myself from a possible threat, even if that threat is the pony I’m guarding.” The mares all gulped and looked at one another in shock. “Understand?” The mares all gave him a nod. “Good, now if you’ll excuse me I’ve got a letter to write.” He said before he vanished in a flash of light. The mares all gulped and looked at one another in pure worry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the late afternoon in the city of Canterlot. The sun was starting to set as Midnight sat alone in the park. Her mind was at war with itself over the white stallion. She gazed out to the field and let out a sigh.

He is cute.

I don’t know anything about him!

Only one way to find out.

I doubt he’d be interested in a mare like me. The bat mare got to her hooves and took flight towards the barracks. As she passed over the training field she looked down to see a familiar white stallion limping along the road. The bat mare started her decent. The mare landed next to the stallion and saw that some of his fur and bits of his mane were scorched and burned. “The buck happened to you?”

“Don’t.....talk to me.” He said in a rough tone.

“Sheesh, what crawled up your flank?” She said as she rolled her eyes. “Look, I’m sorry I laughed at you this afternoon and-”

“I don’t care that you laughed, I’m used to it.” He said with a sigh. “I’m pissed because you didn’t help me out when I needed it.” He said in a cold tone.

“Not my fault Cadence beat your flank.” Lance glared at her with daggers in his eyes.

“Which YOU could have stopped! If you stepped in and explained the situation. I’ve stuck my neck out for you more times than I can count and when I needed YOUR help you just sat back and relax.” Midnight narrowed her eyes and stopped in front of the stallion.

“Hey, I never asked for your help in the first place! I can survive just fine on my own.”

“What about during the day of the ten mile trot? I’m sure you would have turned out just fine if I hadn't interfered.” He said in a sarcastic tone.

“Well-”

“What about that whole mess hall thing?”

“I would have-”

“Not to mention last week when you sprained your back hoof and I had to carry your sorry flank five miles back to the barracks.” Lance took a deep breath and regained his composure. “So tell me, when didn’t you need my help?” Midnight processed the words and hung her head in shame. “That’s what I thought.” He said as he side stepped the mare. Midnight stood frozen as the gears clicked and realized that he was right.

He’s helped me more than anyone has and he’s never asked anything in return and when he finally does I just let him get pummeled? Her eyes shrank at a sudden realization. I’m becoming my father. The mare took off and galloped after the stallion and stopped in front of him again. Lance rolled his eyes and groaned as he looked at the mare with a look that could freeze a volcano.

“Look, you’re right and I’m sorry.” She said as she hung her head. “It’s just that..” The mare took a deep breath and looked at the stallion. Lance noticed that her spliced eyes which were usually cold as winter had softened. “Back in the Shadowlands, no pony helps each other out. They all carry their own weight. When I was a filly and I broke my leg while I was learning how to fly, no pony raised a hoof to help me. Not even my folks.” Lance’s eyes shrank at the mare’s story. “I’ve never received or given help, so I’m not used to it.”

The mare slumped to ground and tried to keep herself from crying as she opened up to the stallion. The mare was taken by surprise as the white stallion wrapped his hooves around her and brought her into a hug. Midnight’s face turned bright red and her mind seemed to stop.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” Lance said as he rested his head on her shoulder. Midnight hesitantly wrapped her hooves around him and felt her heart beat a million times a minute. As Lance broke the embrace Midnight quickly hid her blush under her snow white mane.

“Still, I feel bad about that eye.” She said as she pointed to his swollen left eye.

“It’s no to bad. It looks a lot worse than it is.” The stallion was about to say something else as Midnight stuck her tongue out and licked the stallion’s face from his chin to his forehead. He felt the mare’s tongue touch his own only for a second before the forked muscle reached his eye. The stallion felt a burning sensation as the mare took a step back. “Midnight....what....the.....buck was that for?” He said as he wiped the spit from his face.

“Bat pony saliva has healing properties.” She said as she hid her blush. “Whenever one of us get’s cut we spit on the wound to disinfect it.” Lance blinked and felt the burning fading. The white stallion walked over to a puddle and saw that the swelling had vanished.

“Thanks.” He said with a warm smile. For some reason the bat pony had a very wide grin on her face at the words. She then regained her composure and cleared her throat.

“Let’s just get back to the barracks I’m starving.” She said as the two walked down the road in silence.

The two ponies made their way into their room and laid down on their bunks. Lance noticed that the light over the desk was on and a sheet of paper was lying on top. He levitated the parchment over to himself and started to read. He instantly sprang up and laughed as he finished the letter.

“What?” Midnight asked as she poked her head out from her bunk.”

“Read this!” Lance said as he levitated the page up to her. Midnight blinked twice and read the letter.

My dearest Cadence. How long I wish to hold you in my hooves and rock you to sleep. For you are the lullaby that graces my dreams and your voice is the melody that I fall asleep to. You are the sun that wakes me up in the morning and what I look forward to seeing every chance I get.

Sincerely, your secret admirer.

Midnight burst out in a fit of laugher as she rolled on her back. “Oh man! Shining sure knows how to pick em!” Lance was laughing uncontrollably as a thought came to him.

“I just had a beyond brilliant idea!”

“What?”

“We should totally hook them up!” Midnight cocked her head in surprise.

“Why?”

“C’mon Nighty, even you can see that they’re perfect for one another.” Lance said in a serious tone.

“I don’t know the first thing about that junk.”

“How hard can it be?” The bat mare was not backing down. “Help me out an I’ll call us officially even for all the times I’ve helped you out.” The bat mare’s ears perked up at the deal.

“Fine.” She said as she spat in her hoof and shook the stallion’s out stretched one. “The question is how? From what I’ve seen, Shining is to chicken shit to do anything like that on his own.” Lance thought for a moment and perked up as his mind hatched a plan.

“I’ve got an idea. It’s crazy, but just crazy enough to work.” He said as the bat mare sat down next to him. “We’ll need Philomena, a forged letter and a little creativity.” He said with a mischievous smile.