• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 2,925 Views, 74 Comments

Strange New Worlds - Blue Fire



The U.S.S. Voyager finds Equestria in the Delta Quadrant. Things happen.

  • ...
12
 74
 2,925

Chapter 4: Surprise

As the golden light faded away, the crew of the Delta Flyer found themselves in a small oval room. A large wooden table was in the middle of it, surrounded by twelve blankets on the Granite floor. The Marble walls were decorated with paintings of villages and landscapes.

"Please take a seat and make yourself comfortable. I willl return shortly" the ruler announced and left the room.

"Captain, what was that?" Tom asked.

"Well, that's a good question..." Janeway began, but she was interrupted by Seven.

"From my point of view it is pretty clear. We crashed onto a planet and interfered with a pre-warp civilization."

"But Seven, this is completely different to anything we have ever experienced before. This civilization isn't even humanoid, but has transporter technology on our level. It took humanity nearly one hundred years after the launch of the Phoenix to develop it and there is no industry here. In some aspects they are more advanced than a warp-civilization" Janeway replied.

"So what do you suggest, Captain?" Seven asked.

"I think it will be the best if we handle this like a normal first contact."

"What do you think about the magic they mentioned, Captain?" The helmsman asked.

"A good question Mr. Paris. I personally think that they are using some natural anomalies to their advantage. They can't explain the phenomenon so they call it magic."

"The emperor of this culture seemed to know what she was doing. I don’t think they are using anomalies. More likely she has gathered technology allowing her to rule this land."

"We will see about that Seven. Just try to avoid giving them a casus belli."

"I will."

"Captain, one more thing. The Flyer is leaking plasma on a field surrounded by natives. It wouldn't leave a good impression if somebody got injured."

"You're right, I almost forgot about this."

The door swung open and the host returned, accompanied by another Alicorn.

"This" Celestia pointed at her company "is my sister Luna, Princess of the Night."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Princess. My name is Kathryn Janeway" The captain of the Voyager said. "To my right is my helmsman Tom Paris and to my left Seven of Nine, chief of Astrometry."

"Astronomy, an interesting subject. Studying the stars of my night must be fascinating."

"It is, Princess" Seven replied.
"I guess your society is much different from what we are used. Could you please tell me more, Princess?" Kathryn asked.

"Basically our society is triune. There are the Earth Ponies, who take care of the agriculture, the Pegasi, who are responsible for the weather and the Unicorns who support the other tribes with their magic."

"What is magic? What can they do with it?" Seven asked.

"Mostly their magic is limited to telekinesis, but some can teleport or create shields. My student Twilight is even able to cast metamorphic spells."

"What are your roles, Princesses?" Seven asked.

"We are responsible for day and night on this planet."

"I see... How long are you doing this?"

"Your crew member is very curious, Captain."

"Is there anything wrong about my behavior?" Seven asked as she found herself in the center of the attention.

"But of course not. Curiosity if a far too rare trait. To answer the question, we are fulfilling our duties since nearly 2000 years."

"I’m sorry, but what do you mean by controlling day and night, Princess?" Tom wanted to know.

"I am guiding the sun on its way through the sky and my sister does the same with the moon. I can tell from your questions that your world is very different from Equestria. Please tell me more about it, Captain."

"Our planet is called Earth and is the third in a system of eight planets. It is orbited by a single moon, which we colonized 200 years ago. But not all of my crew are humans, as we call ourselves. Earth is part of a federation of many planets, spread over a large part of the galaxy."

"How far is Earth away from here?" Luna questioned.

"Over 35.000 light years from here."

"And what are you doing so far away from your home, Captain?"

"We were dragged into the Delta Quadrant six years ago and we are looking for a way home, Princess." Janeway replied politely, ignoring the sharp undertone in Luna's question.

"Delta Quadrant?"

"This is how we call this part of the galaxy, Princess."

"You must tell me more about your journey among the stars." Luna demanded.

"I would like to, Princess Luna, but there are two things I have to talk about before. The first thing is our shuttle."

"What is the problem, Captain?" Celestia asked.

"It took heavy damage as we crashed and is leaking toxic substances."

"I will take care of it. What is the second topic?"

"We need to use your communication systems to contact our ship before they jump to conclusions."

"Your ship? Didn't it crash onto Sweet Apple Acres?"

"No Princess, we crashed with a shuttlecraft. The Voyager is still orbiting the planet." The captain explained.

"We would like to see your ship"

"I can show you around once we contacted them." Janeway offered.
"There is a problem with that. An overload destroyed our communication system."

"Captain, I might be able to link our Communicators with their array to reach the Voyager. The array should enhance the communicators and the atmospheric interferences shouldn't be a problem then." the former Borg drone suggested.

"If that is okay for you, Princess?"

"This will be no problem, but my student Twilight knows more about it than I. She built the transmitter on her own and if you need assistance you will have to ask her."

"Then what are we waiting for? Captain, I may need your Tricorder." As Seven received the device from the first-aid kit she was covered in a golden light, which faded away within a second.

She reappeared in front of a large antenna with a console attached to it. The communication array was located on a field, in
sight line to the impact site. Seven could see a large crowd around. Activating her Tricorder, the former Borg drone analyzed the communications array. It was a low frequency transmitter which took heavy damage as it was confronted with large amounts of energy, but the antenna itself was intact.

Seven also scanned the Equines surrounding her only to find out that there was a female next to her. The Tricorder showed no hint of magic or any technology to emulate it. After finishing her scan she noticed a lavender Unicorn working next to the disabled device.

"Good evening. My name is Twilight Sparkle and you must be a survivor of the accident over there."

"That assumption is correct."

"Is it true that you came from space?"

"Yes"

"What's your name?"

"Seven of Nine"

"Where are you from?"

"I live aboard the U.S.S Voyager, the starship currently orbiting this planet."

"What is the purposes of your visit, Miss Nine?"

"Just call me Seven, and I am here to reestablish communication with the Voyager. Miss Sparkle, could I have some tools?"

"Simply Twilight and I'm sorry but I didn't use any tools. I used my magic to place all parts and solder them. But I can do that again."

After Seven told Twilight which wires she had to connect with her communicator she used her Tricorder to calibrate the Starfleet emblem with its new antenna.

During the calibration the Unicorn kept her eyes locked on the blonde woman.

"Is there something wrong?" Seven asked as she noticed her spectator.

"No, I was just wondering how life aboard a spaceship must be like."

"It is pleasant. I am mostly busy with astrometrical studies."

"That sounds interesting, could you tell me more?"

"I can tell you later, but I have to talk with my ship first."

"I understand."

"Seven to Voyager"

"Chakotay here. Are you alright, Seven?"

"Yes"

"What happened to you?"

"We were caught in an anomaly and lost control. Then we were found by the locals."

"Are you imprisoned?"

"No, they offered their hospitality and also allowed us to use their communication technology."

"Can I speak with the Captain?"

"She is currently in conference with the local ruler."

"So we don't need to come and safe you?"

"No"

"Tuvok will be glad to hear this. He didn't like the idea of an atmospheric assault."

"The captain already guessed you would prepare something like this. The only thing we need is a shuttle to pick us up."

"Hold on a second... Are you sure ensign? So close?"

"Dammit, Seven bad news. We have something very large at the sensors, pretty close. It's on an interception course to our position. You know what this means. Maybe you have to stay at the surface longer, your old friends are paying us a visit."

"I understand. I will tell Captain Janeway. Seven out."
__________________________________________________________________________
Meanwhile high above Equestria

"Commander, we have a large object on the sensors. They are coming."

"Finally! Prepare to attack, pattern Alpha six. Get us into position! Arm the torpedos. Be ready to strike fast."

"But Commander, they have much more firepower than we do."

"They won't even know what happened to them. We will surprise them and before understanding the situation they will be dead."

"Aye Sir"

"All hands to battle stations! It begins!"
__________________________________________________________________________
Tom was standing next to the ruler of the planet they were stranded at.

The white Equine transported them back to the impact site and created a spherical force field around the Flyer. The golden glow drew the attention of the local population which crowded Sweet Apple Acres. They were staring at the humanoid next to their princess with a mixture of fear and curiosity as Celestia was removing the plasma.

She was slowly clearing the shield from the toxic substance, transporting it to a 'safe' place as she used to say. Even when being a princess the Alicorn started small talk with Tom. The Lieutenant wasn't used to talk to nobility and felt uncertain at first but that feeling faded away quickly. After fifteen minutes of casual conversation and occasional assurance of locals, that he wasn't a threat, Celestia asked him about his family.

"Well, I haven't seen my parents for more than seven years."

"Why?" The ruler asked.

"First I have been imprisoned for fighting for freedom and then I got stuck in the other end of the galaxy."

"I thought your species is part of a federation of peaceful coexistence."
"We are, but there are also other species who are more aggressive. And I was caught fighting them, defending my fellows."


"Is space dangerous?"

Just as Celestia asked this question a grey shimmer appeared in the crowd. Within a second dozens of ponies were gone.

Author's Note:

Hiya guys, this is Blue Fire's editor speaking.

Sorry for the long delay, but i was kinda busy the last few weeks. Expect more frequent updates from now on.