• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 540 Views, 3 Comments

The Accruing Phial - PwnySwag290



The tale of two heroic colts in search of an ancient power.

  • ...
 3
 540

Chapter 5

The Accruing Phial- Chapter 5

Light spilled through the high window in the library’s spare room. Umbra shifted in his bed, pulling the covers over himself in protest. He didn’t want to get up. Today would be the day they left Ponyville. These last two days had been among the strangest of his life. He had gotten so drunk at a party he couldn’t remember anything. He had woken up in a tree, and knocked himself unconscious. Now he was about to set off on the journey of a lifetime. It was unpredictable and dangerous. To say he was not looking forward to it was an understatement.

He woke Tyedye, nudging him gently with a hoof.

“Hey, get up. We’re leaving today, remember?”
Umbra continued prodding the Pegasus until he turned over in bed, shooting the earth pony an angry look.

“I’m awake, you can stop poking me now.” The Pegasus rolled out of bed and stretched, his wings unfurling to their full length.

Together they ascended the stairs, walking into the main room of the library into the kitchen. Over breakfast, Twilight, Umbra and Tyedye discussed the route the duo would take.

“The closest town to the Marehara is Appleoosa, so that’ll be our last stop.” Umbra said, indicating Appleoosa on the map.

“Actually, you should head towards the Everfree.” Twilight said.

“What? Why?” Umbra said, clearly confused.

“I was doing research while you were recovering, Umbra. I found a book that mentioned a map in Celestia’s old castle in the Everfree that is said to show the way toward whatever the holder desires. If you get the map and think of the phial, it should show you the way.” She explained.

Umbra thought about it. “Hmm… That could save us a lot of time.”
He turned to Tyedye.

“Unfortunately, we need that map.”

Tyedye nodded, a determined look on his face.


An hour later, both Umbra and Tyedye were fully packed and ready. Alchemical supplies, food and sleeping bags had all been packed.

Umbra and Tyedye tentatively walked out into the early morning sun, followed by Twilight and a sleepy Spike. Twilight followed them to the edge of town, and when Umbra turned around, he saw that they had gathered quite a crowd of ponies by simply walking from the library. The residents of Ponyville obviously wanted to wish them good luck. This certainly surprised Umbra; He didn’t even know most of these ponies. He must have done something impressive at that party.

He stopped, turning to face Twilight.

“Thank you for all you’ve given us, Twilight. Umbra said.”

Twilight offered a hoof, and Umbra reached a hoof up to shake it. Before their hooves touched, she wrapped her forelegs around his neck in a warm embrace. At first, Umbra was surprised, and then he returned the hug with equal affection. She looked at Tyedye.

“Don’t think you’re getting away without a hug, Tyedye!”

She jumped towards him; giving him the same affection she had shown Umbra.
He grinned and hugged back.

“Thank you, Twilight” He said, grinning his grin as the mare hugged him.

As Umbra turned around to set off into the forest, he heard the crowd cheer, and turned, waving a leg in farewell.
He looked back, noticing that Tyedye was still soaking up the admiration of the crowd, a huge smile plastered across his face. Rolling his eyes, he grabbed his friend and walked off, Tyedye still waving a hoof and grinning as they went.

Umbra turned his head, still walking as he addressed the crowd.

“Goodbye, everypony! We promise we’ll come back safe!” Umbra said. He wasn’t so sure about that himself. As he walked away into the forest

From beyond the treeline, a pair of red reptilian eyes watched intently.

As they entered the forest, it seemed to close in around them, like it was trying to prevent their escape. Ancient gnarled trees curved their branches towards the road as if to grab them. Umbra looked around nervously. It was going to be a long journey through this place.

Several hours passed without incident, and as they progressed Umbra was becoming increasingly anxious. He decided to take a break, Tyedye joining him. Umbra grabbed his canteen and took a swig. His ears pricked up. He could have sworn he had heard something…

Jumping to attention, he turned around just in time to see a Pegasus fly from beyond the treeline towards him. Umbra launched himself out of the way, and the Pegasus hit the ground face first, throwing up a large cloud of dry dirt. When the cloud cleared, Umbra caught his first real glimpse of the Pegasus; He was wearing what appeared to be some kind of modified Wonderbolts uniform. Its colours were a dark crimson with purple flare, instead of the usual navy blue. He looked around, getting up and shaking the dust off his muzzle.
He looked around, seeing Umbra and Tyedye for the first time.

“Either of you see a grey, wall eyed Pegasus fly past?” He addressed the pair of ponies.

“Nope, sorry.” Umbra said, smiling apologetically.
The Pegasus looked at the ground in disappointment.

“Oh well. I really hope Surprise finds her…” said the Pegasus sadly.

His head snapped back up, and he looked at the pair of ponies, an eyebrow raised.

“Hey, why are you this far out in the Everfree anyway? Nopony is ever out this far unless they’re lost.”

Tyedye and Umbra quickly glanced at each other, Umbra making frantic signals to not say anything.

“We’re looking for an ancient artifact of power.” Tyedye stated.

Behind him, Umbra face-hoofed.

“Ooh, ooh I can help! Can I come with you?” The Pegasus asked, his face lit up in delight.

Umbra rolled his eyes. “You might as well, now you know about our um… Expedition.” Umbra said, irritation tinting his voice.

“Great!” The Pegasus said, ascending as he spoke. “I’ll go grab some supplies and my tent!”

He flew away in the direction of what must have been Ponyville.



“How long do you think he’s gonna take, Tye?” Umbra asked. He did not want to stay still for too long.
Tyedye immediately soared into the sky, trying to judge the distance of Ponyville form their current location. He landed with a soft ‘pomf’ noise as his wings folded back up.

“Maybe twenty minutes there, and a little longer on the way back, depending how much he packs. Plus, he’ll probably want to say goodbye to somepony, so maybe just over an hour.”

“Great.” Umbra said, pouting.

“Why did you tell him why we were out here anyway? It was supposed to be secret!” Umbra said accusingly.

“Well, i figured since you already told most of Ponyville it didn’t matter anymore.” He responded calmly in spite of his friend’s accusations.

“Hmph. Well, fine. I’m going to look for some non-killer plants.” Umbra huffed, walking away.

He explored the immediate area around the river with intent, being careful to keep Tyedye in clear line of sight at all times.

Tyedye, for his part, seemed to be amusing himself by upturning small rocks with his hooves.

Umbra eventually returned, his saddlebags a little more full with the various herbs he had collected.
He returned to Tyedye, who was still flipping rocks. Umbra approached him curiously.

“Why are you doing that?” Umbra asked, an eyebrow raised.

“There are bugs.” He said. “I like the way they look. They’re like tiny monsters. Some of them are really cool.”

“Yes, bugs are indeed fascinating. They are truly resilient for such small creatures.” Umbra said. This got him thinking on all the types of insect, and their survival techniques.

Tyedye smiled to himself; his friend had clearly entered a state of deep thought, as he was often prone to. Tyedye laid on the rough grass, closing his eyes and nodding off.

A pair of reptilian eyes glimmered in desire from the deep undergrowth. It’s prey was vulnerable and Unwitting... “NO!” The voice in it’s head shouted. “WE NEED THEM ALIVE!” It was too late. The creature was running on instinct, something not even the voice could overcome.

Umbra snapped out of his reverie, something catching his attention out of the corner of his eye.
He stood up slowly, looking around the clearing for any signs of life. He heard a twig snap behind him, and he tensed his muscles, ready for anything. Suddenly a shape burst from the foliage, heading straight for him.