• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 442 Views, 4 Comments

Such Is Life - EpicSmiley13



A young woman on Earth has got her work cut out for her - she's been selected to host ten very important diplomats. However, they aren't the only things rocking her world.

  • ...
 4
 442

A Scroll in the Mail

Hello everyone. I decided to do a Ponies on Earth story. It's been in my head for a while, and I think it's a rather good idea. I may also post more stories about humans in Equestria and ponies on Earth, but unless I say so, they will have no ties to each other. Please leave a review, but be gentle :fluttercry:

I couldn’t stop staring at the letter in my hands. It was unbelievable, what it was asking me to do. I didn’t even realize that my hands were shaking until I dropped the parchment on the kitchen floor. Trembling, I bent down and picked up the letter and read over its formal script once more.

To Miss Ivy Walkerton,

I, Princess Celestia, am pleased to inform you that you have been chosen to participate in a research project involving both of our worlds. I know that you have exceptional knowledge of the realm of Equestria. This is why I have chosen you for Project First Contact.

My breath hitched. Here it was; the unbelievable part.

I will be sending ten of my subjects to your world in order for them to become acquainted with human customs. They will be transformed into humans at the time they arrive. They shall stay with you for a period of twelve months. At the end of this time, I myself, along with my sister Luna, will come into the human world. When we arrive, they will turn back into ponies. Within the following time after that, we will focus on introducing our world to the officials of your nation. More details will be given to you then.

Swallowing hard, I read the last few sentences.

You may be wondering why I chose you for such a task. I believe you have significant potential within you, Ivy. You have a spiritual power beyond your years. I am certain that you are the most qualified human for this project.

Best Regards,

Princess Celestia of Equestria

I set the letter down on the table. Placing my hands on my forehead, I took a deep breath. Should I really believe this? At first, I had thought it was just a joke. However, after reading it over and over, I couldn’t help but think it was real. I sighed and looked around the room. Suddenly, I heard the door open.

“We’re home!”

My little sister Annabell’s voice rang through the foyer. I smiled as the fourteen year old waltzed into the kitchen, dropping her bag on the floor and opening the fridge. I smiled even wider when another girl, a ten year old named Mercury, pranced in after her.

Like I said, Annabell is my little sister. She’s lived with me ever since our grandparents died, who we had lived with ever since our mother died. Annabell was the only one in our family who didn’t remember her. Our mother died the day after Anna was born. Me and my twin sister Allie were only seven when she died. My younger sister Katie was only five. We’d lived with our grandparents ever since. They passed away a few months after Allie and I turned 20. I had already moved to a new house in Brandywine, but Allie decided to stay in our old house. Katie has lived with her, while Annabell stuck with me. Mercury, on the other hand, is my adopted daughter. I saw her once when I visited an orphanage for inspiration (I’m an aspiring writer) and couldn’t bear to leave her. She was nine years old then. We all lived in a house that was rather large for only three people. Let’s just say, my great aunt Evelyn knew how to live. The house was crazy huge, and it came with a butler and gardener and everything! All in all, it was more than enough room for two kids and a young adult only five years out of high school.

“Hey, Annabell, Mercury. How was school?” I asked.

“Same old, same old.” Annabell responded. She had grabbed a can of Pepsi and opened it with a pop. Mercury picked out a juice box.

“It was great!” the little one said. “Ms. Walter gave us our books today. We’re reading Old Yeller. I like it ‘cause it’s about this dog who gets found by this boy and…”

As Mercury rambled on, Annabell got the cookies off the pantry. As she munched on a chewy homemade chocolate chip one made by Damien (the butler), she spied the letter I had finished reading. I saw her eyebrow quirk, and I immediately tensed. My sister was a curious thing, and I knew that she’d try to read it, regardless that it was my mail. I watched as she picked up the paper, her baffled expression growing with every word. I chuckled inwardly; she always made the funniest faces.

“Ivy…what in the world is this?” she asked. I smiled weakly at her. Mercury stopped talking and scanned over the letter.

“Princess Celestia…the…pony princess…wrote to YOU!?”

“I…” Did I mention that we three were all avid viewers of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Every Saturday morning we would be in the living room watching it.

“The ponies are gonna stay here? In OUR house? For a YEAR!?”

“Is this a joke?” Annabell asked. “This is a joke, right?”

“I don’t know.” I deadpanned. “I found this in the mail, and that’s all. I’m not even sure it’s real.”

“Of course it’s real! It’s got the signature and everything! Look, it even has Princess Celestia’s sun symbol!” Mercury squeaked, pointing to the golden insignia on the paper.

“Well, I don’t know…” I started. But one look into my daughter’s excited eyes killed my argument.

“This…is…so…COOL!” Mercury shouted. “Wait…we have to clean this place!” she looked wildly around the kitchen. “And make space in the rooms! Ten people…Well, six of them could share two rooms each, and three could share my room, and if Annabell takes the couch and I sleep with you, mom…”

“Hey!” Annabell interjected. “Why do I have to take the couch?”

I laughed. The two girls looked at me.

“Okay, if this is really happening, we have a lot of work to do.”

“You bet!” Mercury finished her juice and ran to the stairs. Anna covered her soda with a napkin and followed her.

“Wait!” I called, but they were already out of earshot.

“You still have to do your homework!”

I sighed. I guessed I would just have to treat this like it was real. But if this was what it was like with two, what would it be like with ten more?

“Ivy…WHAT have you gotten yourself into?”