• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 10,660 Views, 965 Comments

I.D. - That Indestructible Something - Chatoyance



Gregoria Samson awakens transformed into an Equestrian pony - yet no other human being can perceive her new body in any way. What is the incredible, monumental truth behind her impossible change?

  • ...
 965
 10,660

13. But From Their Silence

I.D. INJECTOR DOE
That Indestructible Something

By Chatoyance

═════════════════════

13. But From Their Silence

"Now the sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song,

namely their silence...

someone might have escaped from their singing;

but from their silence, certainly never."

- Franz Kafka




The shiny black truck with the green apple on the side entered the multistory parking garage and drove to the third level. It parked next to a black 1965 Ford Econoline van, which had no markings at all.

The artificial voice of Mr. Malus Crown spoke to the two mares. "Please cooperate fully with my team, and remember that they cannot see you as you truly are. They do not comprehend that you have been transformed, they will refer to that circumstance ambiguously as 'The Event'. Answer all questions as accurately as you can, your own survival could very well depend on it. If all goes well, you will be transported to my compound, and we shall meet in the flesh."

The rear doors of the custom transport truck suddenly opened and Gregoria and Rachel found themselves in a swirl of activity. Two men entered, one tall and blond, the other shorter and dark of hair and complexion. "Hello! Mr. Crown has told you what we're doing here, correct?"

Rachel nodded. "Yes."

"While you are being scanned, I need to ask you both some questions. Please answer completely and honestly to the best of your ability." The shorter man had brought a case of electronic equipment. While the taller man flipped pages on his iPad with a finger, the shorter man began running a paddle-like device over every contour of Rachel and Gregoria's bodies as they lay on their padded benches.

"First, have you seen a doctor, gone to a dentist, or sought the services of any medical, cosmetic, or other bodily care services since the 'Event'?" The tall man read from his iPad while the shorter man changed his paddle for a cylinder-shaped sensor.

"No. We just kind of hid out, mostly. We went to get food, but that's it." Gregoria lifted her right foreleg so the short man could scan her chest.

The tall man looked at Rachel.

"No, nothing like that." Rachel looked at Gregoria and shrugged with her ears.

The tall man moved his finger slightly. "Since the 'Event', have you experienced any form of blackout, loss of awareness, loss of time, or unexplained feelings of grogginess or forgetfulness?"

Both Gregoria and Rachel shook their heads. The short man had moved on to something that looked like a supermarket barcode scanner now. He worked quickly.

"Okay... since the 'Event', have you noticed anything within your apartment, home or dwelling that seemed to have been moved without explanation, or anything which was noticeably out of place? Has there been any sign of new construction or alteration of walls, ceiling, floor, tables, room corners, mirrors or ventilation gratings?"

"You're kidding, right?" Gregoria found the questions bizarre.

"No sir. At least not until that computer was left on our table." The tall man seemed uncertain, so Rachel continued. "Mr. Crown left us a computer. It's how he contacted us." This seemed to satisfy the blond man.

"Since the 'Event', have you discovered or felt any unexplained or unusual bumps, lumps, soreness, cuts, rashes, or injuries of any kind on, or inside your bodies, especially after waking up following a sleep cycle?" The tall man studied their faces, while the short man finished a last scan with a tool that resembled a strange inverted cone.

"Um... no. If anything, I've felt really healthy." Gregoria grinned at Rachel. "Healthy as a horse, right Rache?"

Rachel frowned at that and gave Gregoria a harsh look. "Nothing like that. Nothing I can think of."

"They're clean." The short man was busy rapidly packing up his devices. In an instant his case was shut and he was out of the custom transport truck, leaving them alone with the tall, blond man.

"Alright. Last question." The tall man looked briefly at his pad. Then he whispered "Majestic Majik Umbra. Eisenhower saw dark sunglasses. We are among friends."

Rachel looked at Gregoria. Gregoria looked at Rachel then back to the tall man. Gregoria giggled. The tall man seemed to be waiting for something. Finally, Gregoria stared at Rachel with an exasperated look on her face. "Is this really worth it? I mean, seriously? Rachel?"

The tall man was still waiting.

Rachel turned to the tall man. "Honest. I don't have a clue what to say to that."

"Good enough." The tall, blond man backed out of the van and stood on the cement outside. "Outside. Quickly. Into the van over here, fast as you can." He gestured to their left, beyond the back of the fancy transport.

Gregoria and Rachel clambered out of the shiny black truck and were hurried into the fairly beat-up Econoline. The doors were slammed shut as soon as they were inside, and they barely had time to fold their legs and lay down properly on the bare foam pad that covered the floor before the van accelerated away.

They could see nothing out of the sides or back of the windowless vehicle, but to the front they noted a man and a woman sitting in the seats. As the Ford van drove around and around the down ramp to get to the exit of the parking garage, the woman turned partially about and Rachel felt slightly relieved that she recognized her. It was Nadzieja, who had spoken to them over Crown's 'present'.

"Hello again. It is good to meet in the person. We are traveling to the 'secret hideout' now, just like in the movies! Is very exciting, I am sure. Do not fear, Thibault here was once semi-professional race car driver. Try to be comfortable, journey is long but there will be stops and one more change of car. Welcome aboard!" Nadzieja smiled, and turned away again, and immediately began talking on a cell phone to someone.

Gregoria and Rachel huddled together. The ride was not smooth like the fancy truck had been, and there were disconcerting bumps and jolts. Neither could think of anything to say, so they ended up laying fully down, back to back, and dozing.

It was dark when they were fed, watered and allowed to go to the toilet. Nadzieja followed them in, and kept an eye on them at all times. When they returned it was to a new car, another van, but of a make and model neither knew, though Gregoria thought it was a Volkswagon of some kind. For a while, the two friends talked with each other about television programs - but deliberately not My Little Pony - and Nadzieja asked if they would like the radio on. Eventually Rachel and Gregoria fell asleep again, bored, road weary, and unable to think of any other way to pass the time.

After two more stops, assorted snacks and beverages, and more dozing, they were awakened. They were led out of the vehicle to a meadow of grass, surrounded by trees. This was the first time either of the two mares had felt grass and soil beneath their hooves. The smell of it made their stomachs rumble, and their saliva flow. It was twilight, the sun was just setting, and Rachel noted that she could hear insects, probably crickets, in the distance.

They were led through a gate in a long, solid wall, and then down a cobblestone path to a large and rambling ranch house with a midsection A frame. To the side was a classic red barn, and both Rachel and Gregoria could smell hay and working farm in the air.

Dinner was delicious, though Mr. Crown did not attend. They were left alone, after the food was served, which Gregoria thought was a great thing - she didn't have to pretend to eat like a human, and could just stick her muzzle in her bowls with abandon.

The meal featured a delicious vegetarian Avgolemono soup, beside broiled slices of potato seasoned with spices, and a very fresh hummus which they decided to dip the slices in. There was a savory red lentil dish with tomatoes and basil, and large bowls of what appeared, at first, to be oatmeal, but was instead an amazing mixture of lightly spiced mixed grains over a bed of garlic fried hay. Neither Gregoria or Rachel had ever imagined that pony food could be so elaborate or delicious.

"This is better than I imagined Bureau food to be! Sweet Luna, Mr. Crown puts on the feedbag doesn't he?" Rachel was burping happily, the quantity they had been given was prodigious. Crown clearly understood how much a Celestia-sized pony would need to feel full.

"He's rich. But... cinnamon muffins, Rache... I could eat like this for the rest of my life, easy." Gregoria felt over full, but it had been totally worth it. "Of course, I would end up super fat. Any fat ponies on the show?"

Rachel pondered for a bit. "Maybe. I can't remember. Probably."

"That'll be me, if this is typical. Wow." Gregoria took a careful sip of cider. There had been cider with the meal.

"Mr Crown would like to see you now." Nadzieja was at the door to the large dining room. Gregoria and Rachel managed to get up from the large, padded benches they had enjoyed reclining on, and waddled behind her, through several areas of the house.

The room was large, with a high ceiling. The walls were partially covered in acoustic foam, like a recording booth. There were multiple work stations with chairs, with iMacs and other iDevices on them. One recessed area of the room formed a small theater-like enclosure, dark with a truly gigantic screen at the back. In front of the screen was a large white sphere on a pedestal. Rachel, ever the science fiction fan, instantly recognized it - it was a replica of an Eero Aarnio ball chair. It was turned, facing away, and Rachel was instantly jealous of it.

"Please wait here. Mr. Crown will address you. Be good girls now." Gregoria stuck her tongue out at Nadzieja's back as she left, and snorted at her comment.

The recorded sound of Rachel's voice filled the room, once the door had been shut - and as both mares exquisite hearing noted - locked.

"I'm not Celestia! I may look like Celestia, but I'm not her. I can't raise the sun, I don't have the secrets of ponification, I can't send anypony to the moon. I just got stuck with Celestia's body. Don't expect any miracles."

"Is this still true?" It came from inside the ball chair. The voice was very strange. It did not sound human. It did not sound entirely male, but neither did it sound female. It had a faint hiss to it, an almost malevolent quality, yet also oddly vulnerable.

Gregoria and Rachel looked at each other. If this was the voice of Mr. Crown, they had no idea what to make of him. Rachel finally replied. "Yes. I am not Celestia. I may look like her, but I'm still me inside. Mostly. I can feel something different, but I guess it's just part of being a pony. But I am not Celestia, I only look like her."

"The griffon was not a real griffon, he was a man shaped like a griffon. The Elf was not really Elrond, he was a man, who just ended up looking like an elf. There are instincts..." The ball shifted, but did not turn around. "... that change us in some ways, but you would agree that despite that, we remain ourselves?"

The voice of Mr. Crown was haunting and weird. Gregoria felt a slight shiver run down her withers. "I... at first, I wondered if I was still me. Stuff did change in me. I have a pony brain in here now, and it... it makes me different. But I'm me. I'm a little different, maybe even for the better but... I'm me, and Rachel is still... um... Rachel."

There was an awkward silence, then the eerie voice spoke again from within the ball chair. "Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible within himself, though both that indestructible something and his own trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him." Another pause. "Franz Kafka. I have a very great interest in Franz Kafka. You will understand why, shortly. Do you know who he is?"

Gregoria shook her head. "No. Some mad scientist?"

The strange voice had an even stranger laugh. "Perhaps, in a way. He was a writer, during the early twentieth century. He was also... a Changeling."

"A what?" Rachel knew very well what Crown meant, she just couldn't accept what he had said.

The giant screen lit up and displayed photographs, one after another. The images were of an opened grave, with an old casket, the lid was off. Inside the casket, shriveled and dry, lay the body of a very real, very dead My Little Pony Changeling.

"Franz Kafka died - supposedly of laryngeal tuberculosis - though I suspect it was from a lack of positive emotional energy - in the June of nineteen-twenty four. I cannot be sure just when in his life he transformed, but he was not always a Changeling, I am certain of that. He had no basis to understand what he had become. My Little Pony would not be created for almost a century, and there is nothing quite like the appearance of the pony Changeling in any ancient culture. The best he could describe his new form was as a "monstrous vermin". He used that very phrase in a story he wrote about a man metamorphosing into an inhuman creature.

"It was not just a story. It was nearly autobiographical. Miss Priss, Miss Samson - Franz Kafka spent the rest of his life in the body of a Changeling. He had lovers, he wrote books. More than a few called him an angel - he was kind, honest, deeply compassionate. You are ponies, but you are still you. Franz Kafka was a Changeling, but he was not an evil monster. He was still himself. Understanding that, I am trusting you to understand... me."

The Eero Aarnio ball chair rotated on its base, and the open side began to show. Inside the ball sat something green, and black, horned and winged. It was the inverse of an alicorn, a Dark Side opposite to Celestia. Mr. Malus Crown was a Changeling, a Changeling king.

My Little Pony had never shown a male Changeling, only possibly sexless drones and Chrysalis, the horrific and villainous Changeling queen. Crown had not become the character of Chrysalis. He had become a king, or a prince Changeling, something likely out of a fanfiction. His eyes glowed green, and his appearance was dark, frightening, and insectoid - roughly alicorn-shaped, but with nightmarish swiss-cheese hollows through his pitch-black legs and twisted horn. His sickly green, angular wings were insect wings; membranous and striated.

"Sweet Celestia." Gregoria felt weak in all four knees. The fanged horror in the ball chair blinked at her, two green lights flashing on and off. "Sweet, eternal Celestia."

The strange voice clearly belonged to the creature in the chair. "I had to be very careful with our... introduction. You are not the only functioning Equestrians I have discovered, and I lost one to incaution on my part. I did not want to lose you, as I did her."

"What, did she flee in terror?" Gregoria was still very doubtful about the monster in front of her. She was afraid to look it in the eye. Chrysalis had been one of the few characters that had caught her attention, and she remembered the episode very clearly.

"Yes, she did." Crown looked at the floor between them. "She thought me a real Changeling, evil, like in the cartoon. She could not separate fantasy and reality. She ran away, and they found her. It cost me my last, larger compound, and I was nearly captured myself. It was a catastrophe."

"They?" Rachel remembered Crown had mentioned there was a threat of some kind out there.

"My Little Pony, Tolkien, Oz, the Roman and Greek gods - transformations have been happening for as long as man has existed. There are cave paintings of humans with animal heads - I believe they were changed people, just like us. Such a thing, even if rare, becomes noticed miss Priss. There are government - and independent - agencies devoted to capturing, containing, and using people like us. We often have powers, you may have noticed. That makes us either dangerous, or useful, and in the deadly and cruel games of those who rule, you never want to be either."

Gregoria almost choked. "Wait. You mean... there really are X-Files people, the SCP Foundation exists, there are really secret bases with cages and..."

"Yes, miss Samson. That and more. There are hangers with flying saucers in them, and little gray aliens - only those aliens are people, just like ourselves, changed. Changed into something someone believed in with all of their heart and mind, someone who became an anonymous John Doe Injector." Malus' horn glowed, and across the room a small fridge opened. A bottle of fruit juice glowed and floated out. "Care for some juice? Bottled water? Iced tea? I feel thirsty."

Gregoria was a little nervous accepting her bottle of Lipton from the magic of a Changeling, but she kept reminding herself that Rachel was not really Celestia, thus Crown was not a real Changeling.

"Mr. Crown - that's not your original name, is it? You're very, very wealthy. You must have been someone, before you went into hiding. Who are you... really?" Rachel was looking around the room, at all the iMacs and iPads and iPods and iPhones. There was hardly a single device that was not built by Apple. This creature - this man - seemed to be very at home with computers, and the terms he sometimes used...

"Ah. I suppose it doesn't really matter if you know. Even if you left, and were captured, you would not be believed." The Changeling king sipped his juice. It was apple juice. "Before I arranged my... exit... I was a captain of industry. A leader among men. I was an entrepreneur. I miss my old life. I surround myself with bits of it. I suppose you could..."

"Malus... 'apple'. Crown. A king wears a crown - the king of apples!" Rachel felt very smart indeed. "You... you're Steve Jobs! ...or ... you were."

"You are very quick, miss Priss. Yes, that is who I was. But I changed, about seven years before My Little Pony went on the air. I became... erratic ...from the trauma. I moved in some ...exclusive circles, and I was found out. It was partly my fault - I was looking for answers. I arranged my 'death' - it was surprisingly easy, because I have certain abilities native to my Changling body. I can make others believe whatever I wish, to a point. Actually..." The creature in the chair chuckled "...I suppose that was true before my transformation. I guess nothing new, just more and better." The smile bared pointy, vampire-like teeth. Gregoria involuntarily shivered. Crown - Jobs - couldn't help being creepy.

Gregoria and Rachel settled down with juices, tea and water. Rachel sipped her bottled water and set it down. "So, the world, the universe... it's a Bostrom Simulation, isn't it?"

"A what?" Gregoria did not want to be left out of things at this point. She wanted to know what was going on, and above all else, how to fix it.

Malus Crown - it was easier to think of him as that, they had known him by that name longer, and his old life and identity was, after all, officially dead - cleared his throat. "Ah, miss Priss. So clever." He took another sip of his juice. "Miss Samson, if your friend will indulge me, I will explain."

Rachel nodded.

"Miss Samson, surely you've seen The Matrix, correct?" Gregoria grinned and assented. She had loved that movie before she had become a pony. Now, probably, the violence would render it unwatchable. "So you are familiar with the concept that one day we may be able to create simulated worlds so perfect that they cannot be distinguished from reality? Good."

"So we're all living in the Matrix, the Matrix is real?" Gregoria was almost thrilled at the prospect.

"Not exactly. Not the Matrix. We're not batteries for machine intelligences - that was just stupid - and we are not alive in tanks of goo somewhere. But we are inside of a virtual reality, a simulation of reality, and we... are programs. We are characters in a big video game. We are the machine intelligences."

"What? We're robots now?" This was cool, but also creepy, and Gregoria didn't like the notion as well as the thought of the Matrix being real.

"No, miss Samson. We are not... robots. Robots are physical machines, we have no physical existence. We are constructions of code, we are sprites on the game screen. You, me, everyone that truly thinks - and not all of the observable human race is actually really there - are nothing but information, running on a system beyond anything we currently know." The Changling shifted in the ball, and adjusted its wings.

"It isn't the entire universe, by the way. I have... inside knowledge ...from those rarefied circles I once ran in. Voyager One, the first probe to leave our solar system, as well as every other probe, has encountered the 'edge of the screen' if you like. It's been covered up, there are secret satellites up there just to feed scientists comfortable lies. It ends, the universe is a false backdrop, very detailed, but ultimately just a skybox. That's the answer to Fermi's Paradox, by the way. We are alone. Entirely alone, in a simulated solar system with a fake skybox for a universe." Crown used his magic to bring more juice for himself, and tea and water for Gregoria and Rachel.

"So... we're all characters in a video game, the universe isn't there, what's the point? Who's behind it all?" Gregoria had Rachel open her second bottle of Lipton. It was pretty crappy iced tea, but Gregoria didn't want juice or plain water.

"The Simulation Argument. Sorry. There is this clever professor at Oxford, Nick Bostrom. He came up with a bit of reasoning that cannot be refuted - but in theory, it could be proven. In fact, it has been proven, though only a select few know this. Not even Nick himself knows the truth. His argument involves three propositions, and one of the three has to be true. The propositions are that, first, humanity will die off, completely, before it can go 'posthuman'. What I mean is that the human race will go extinct before it can make technology so powerful that it becomes possible to upload human minds into virtual reality worlds, where they can live potentially forever. So that's the first argument, that we all die before we can become immortal computer minds.

"The second proposition is that if humanity actually does make it to the point where they can upload their minds into virtual worlds and live forever as emulated beings, absolutely nobody will ever want to play 'Sim City' anymore, or play 'Civilization' ever again, or in general want to run a simulation of history, of the past, to see what it was like."

Gregoria interrupted. "That's dumb! We play things like that now, I've played things like that. Of course we'll still want to play with history and stuff, even on holodecks or whatever!"

"More than holodecks, miss Samson. We are speaking of humans actually becoming emulated minds, and completely living inside computer generated realities. We would be the holograms, if you like."

"Um... that's what I meant." Gregoria swirled her iced tea with small movements of her pasterns. "What's the third one?"

"The third proposition is that if we don't kill ourselves off, and we still enjoy simulations of history, then it is utterly statistically likely that we must be living in a simulation right now. The reasoning for this is simple - if the human race uploads in the future, and starts running simulations - playing games - then some percentage of those billions are going to be running our world as it is right now. Even if only a few hundred thousand wanted to play 'Earth: The Game', that still means hundreds of thousands of copies of our world, which means hundreds of thousands of chances to one that you are a character and not a real person living before all the simulations happened."

"Huh?"

"Let me put it this way - there is only one original world. One real earth, before the Singularity. That's one chance. But, after the Singularity, there could be hundreds of thousands, even millions of copies of 'Earth' being simulated, each with billions of simulated people in it. That's billions or even trillions of chances that you are a simulated person, and only one chance in all of those billions or trillions that you are a meat person before the Singularity. It's a trillion to one shot that you are flesh and blood. Do you understand?"

Gregoria's mind spun. She tried to refute the argument. She tried to break it, but she couldn't. If humans ever got to the point of making simulations of reality, of course they would play history games. They do now. History is always important and interesting. Renaissance faires, reenactment groups, war gamers, history buffs - historians! They'd run history sims, no question.

And if they did, there would be a lot of copies. How many copies did Sim City sell? How many people played Civilization? Or Age Of Empires, or Assassins Creed, or Red Dead Redemption, or... there were a LOT of history games. Each game would simulate the lives of all the people in the world. Billions of people. Billions of chances you are a program, only one, single chance you are flesh and blood.

"And this is real? It's been proven?" Gregoria felt dizzy.

Malus Crown spun like a child, slowly, in his ball chair. "Yes. Voyager. Pioneer, edge of the simulation. And more, too, there are hints all over, if you know what to look for. It's been thoroughly proven. And kept quiet. It keeps itself quiet, actually. Maybe it's part of the simulation that this is the case, but I think it's just that most people don't want to accept it. It's just not something they even want to know."

"So why are we ponies, then, mister Crown? And what does my Rick have to do with all of this?" Rachel set her water down and stared intently at the Changeling in the chair.

"In the big computer - it's more than any computer we understand, it's probably more than we actually CAN understand, I suspect there is something like a corrupted pointer caused by a buffer overrun. Or an uninitialized pointer. Could be a corrupted stack, if the thing even uses stacks as we know them. Stack overflow. There's a bug in the program, miss Priss, and sometimes, when things get too complicated or too overwhelming for emulated human minds - as in war, or natural disasters, or plagues, or any desperate, extreme circumstance - the bug strikes. The pointer starts writing somewhere it shouldn't.

"The result is that things change. I think they change based on certain human minds that effectively inject code into the running program of the simulated earth. John or Jane Does, we can generally never hope to know who they are or were, whose dearest dreams or beliefs or thoughts are read as instructions for the generation of reality. Or at least for some aspects of reality. I believe your lover, Private First Class Richard Deckard, was just such a code injector. Those that chase people like us certainly think so."

"Why, why do these people think this? Is there something about Rick?" Rachel trembled at the memory of her beloved.

"One of his friends, several of the people with him, saw it happen. They aren't with us anymore - I don't know if they have been tucked away, or just killed outright, but they are not available anymore. Their reports though, are consistent - when mister Deckard's vehicle ran over that device, it was destroyed, but Richard, Richard somehow became a buffer overrun. His last thoughts were almost certainly read as the code for defining aspects of our simulation. And as it always happens with this bug, it spreads, affecting reality randomly.

"Imagine a pebble, tossed into a pond. It goes 'Bloop!' and ripples radiate out in all directions. Now try to think of a video game, one that has a story, like a role-playing game. The story has a beginning and an end, it has events that must be triggered in sequence, it has a predetermined script that represents the story, the history of the game narrative. Playing the game, you, as a player, have free will to the extent that you can make choices about your character, you can choose this armor or that sword, you can do the side quest or not bother. But the overall story is fixed. So are certain key characters, who you meet in a specific order.

"When a code injection occurs, the effect ripples through the living code of our reality. It affects objects and elements in the 'game' from the start of the simulation to the end. Randomly, things become corrupted, the pointers change so that when elements are 'drawn to the screen' they might look differently, or have different stats. Things get altered in the narrative future, and the past, randomly. The degree of change might be small, or total. People who are changed might end up as anything... even a pony from a cartoon show, as described in the fragments of a man's dying mind."

Rachel was in tears now, crying, her water bottle tipped to the side, the water spreading across the floor.