• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 2,084 Views, 54 Comments

Friendship VS Machine - FrostyDawn



The REDs and the Mane 6 cross paths once again!

  • ...
3
 54
 2,084

Robots!

The metal gates creaked open, and a clanking sound rattled from inside. A group of robotic Scouts, some twenty to thirty, rushed out, brandishing baseball bats. One in the front carried a huge metal shell on its back, the bomb.

The Demo got the first kill. With his sticky-bombs laying near the entrance, he detonated them, blasting away a good third of the swarm. The Spy placed his sapper on a passing robot, causing nearby robots to stop and spasm while the Spy stabbed them in the back, quickly donning a new disguise before he was spotted.

Now, a bigger group of robot Scouts, Soldiers, and Pyros stepped out of the gate, firing wildly at anything nearby.

The Heavy spun the barrel of his gun, and the Medic was ready to use the Übercharge. However, Pinkie had dropped her boxing gloves and yanked the minigun from Heavy's hands, and moved into the Medigun's beam.

"NO! Pink one took Sasha!" The Heavy yelled as she opened fire on the crowd, and before the Medic could react, he accidentally Übercharged Pinkie. Again...

"Wooo! Take that, you party poopers!" She cried as she mowed down the robots, blasting each one to scrap metal. However, Pinkie Pie's power came to a stop as the Übercharge faded, and the mini gun stopped firing bullets, but emitted a Tic Tic Tic... "Heh... sorry." Pinkie said as she stepped aside.

However, with no ammunition, and no Übercharge, the remaining robo-Soldiers blasted the Heavy and the Medic with a shower of rockets.

A shocked look spread across Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie's face as two mercenaries burst in a shower of blood. Then, something welled up inside them. Something... dark. Both their expressions began to seethe with rage and hostility, which was out of place for even Fluttershy.

"You MONSTERS!" Fluttershy yelled, flying at the last few Soldiers with the Übersaw the Medic gave her. Pinkie Pie grabbed the boxing gloves and ran after Fluttershy.

The robots seemed confused to have young girls hurdling toward them, but it was too late for them. Fluttershy jammed the weapon through several robot bodies, leaving them vulnerable while Pinkie smashed their metal frames, leaving the entire group destroyed. The two panted heavily as the others looked at them in a state of awe and confusion.

As the two returned to their senses, Fluttershy bent over the remains of the robots. "Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! Are you alright?" She asked the fallen droids. The head of a Scout only groaned and spat sparks. The sound of more robots racing down the tunnel caused them to refuge behind a large rock.

"Let's go, Dash!" The Scout excitedly cheered as he lept into battle, blasting more robots with his scattergun. The Solider, Demoman, Pyro and Spy all helped in taking down the robots, with some help from the newcomers. Derpy, despite her poor aim, did surprisingly well at dodging projectiles and shooting flares. But it wasn't all good news.

A stray rocket caught Rarity by surprise. She wasn't hit by the rocket itself, but the she was just barley within the blast radius. She tumbled from the explosion, her arm emitting a painful crack! Rarity screamed out in pain, and attempted to stand back up, but the bullets, rockets, and grenades flying through the air made it far too risky for her. She slumped over behind a rock, where Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were hiding as well.

"R-Rarity! You're hurt! What are we going to do? The Medic's gone!" Fluttershy worriedly cried, holding her friend close at the bone-chilling sight of blood. Rarity winced as held back tears of agony as she moved.

Pinkie Pie then turned to the Engineer, watching the sentry riddle any robots with bullets. "Applejack's over there! She'll keep you safe!" Pinkie cried out. Rarity stumbled toward Applejack and the Engie, trying to compose herself. A Pyro began to race toward her, wielding it's flame thrower. "Not today, you stupid gizmo!" Pinkie said, pulling her trademark "Party Cannon" seemingly out of nowhere. As the fuse burned out, the robot Pyro was battered with a burst of confetti, streamers and balloons with such force, that it smashed into a wall and shattered on impact.

Rarity kept moving, trying to get closer to the Engineer.

"Rarity! What happend to you?!" Applejack said, catching her friend as she nearly collapsed.

"Gah! Pain. Explosion. More pain." she muttered, exasperated.

"Don't worry, miss. I got just the thing for yah." The Engie said, picking up his dispenser and placing it closer to Rarity. The red device streamed a glowing line of energy, connecting to Rarity. The pain in her arm dulled, as the blood vanished and her pain was replaced with relief.

Rarity sighed, and flexed her arm, amazed. "Thank you, sir." she said, smiling at the Engineer.

"Not a problem, miss." He said, tipping his hardhat. He returned to the sentry, reloading it. "This is almost too easy..." the Engie said, scratching his chin.

A faint sound echoed through the cavern, amidst the sound of gunfire and explosions.

bleep bloop bleep bloop

A shocked expression formed on the Engineer's face. "Oh no." He said, softly.

"What? What's wrong?!" Applejack asked, panicing.

The Engie quickly turned to the two girls. "Sentry Buster! You two run! Take the dispenser and get somewhere safe!" He said, picking up his turret.

bleep bloop bleep bloop

Applejack nodded, and folded the dispenser into its metal box. "Let's move, Rarity." she said, as they started running toward the base.

The Engie picked up the box, and waited.

The mercenaries opened fire on a new robot, one that resembled a gigantic bomb with legs sticking out the bottom. The Engie stood his ground as the Sentry Buster raced toward him.

bleep bloop bleep bloop

After a tense moment, the Sentry Buster ran right up to the Engie, and crouched.

BLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEP

The Engie took off running, and an explosion sounded behind him, launching him a few feet. He landed on his face, and dropped the box. AJ pulled him up, and the Engie set his sentry back up. The other mercenaries at the front lines sprinted up.

"They got Heavies! We need ammo, stat!" The Scout yelled, the others close behind.

Sure enough, a group of robot versions of the Heavy Weapons Guy trailed them, each with a giant gatling gun.

Just then, a concussive gunshot rang through the air, and the lead robot dropped dead, with a giant hole in its forehead. The other robots looked at their fallen fellow robot.

"Bombs away!" a familiar voice said. It was the Sniper, tossing a jar filled with liquid at the battalion. The robots made sounds of disapproval as they were now coated in a golden fluid.

The Pyro nudged Derpy and motioned at the robots. "Mph! Mmgph phm!" he sounded. Derpy smiled and pointed her flare gun. She fired, and the flare luckily hit the Heavies. The robots let out electronic screams as fire engulfed them, causing them all to drop, their metal exterior melting in the intense heat.

"Thanks, Smokey!" Derpy cheered.

"Smokey?" The Scout said, he and Rainbow Dash holding in an immense amount of laughter.

"Yea! He makes smoke!" Derpy replied, leaning against him.

The Scout and Rainbow Dash just dropped onto the ground, just guffawing madly. "Ahahahaha! Ya hear that?! Smokey!" They said, in between snorts and loud laughs.

The Administrator's voice rang out from the speakers. "Good. You've beat them... for the moment."

The Sniper dropped down from his perch, Twilight shortly behind him.

"Ya see? Told ya we weren't gonna let them win." He chuckled.

"Fine. I guess I underestimated you." Twilight said, rolling her eyes.

"You guys head back to the base. We'll dispose of the bomb." The Sniper said, heading over to the large device, and carrying it to the cavern.


The mercenaries trekked back to the base, pleased with their victory. "That fight was very tough. Perhaps later it won't be so rough." Zecora said. The Soldier scoffed.

"Hah! It'll only get harder from here, girly!" He said. "That was only the first wave. The next two will be much tougher."

Spike saw Fluttershy lagging behind, and caught up with her. "Are you alright? You seem a little upset." He said, looking up at her.

Fluttershy sniffled. "I-I saw the Medic die... again." She said, her voice shaking, like she'd burst into tears any time soon.

"What are you talking about? He and the big guy are right there." Spike said, pointing at the doorway. Sure enough, the Medic and Heavy were standing the doorway, talking with the other mercenaries.

Fluttershy dashed over to the Medic, hugging him tightly. "You're alive! But how?!" She said, both excited and confused.

The Medic pried Fluttershy off of him. "Ugh... ze RESPAWN system. It brings us back to live after a vave." he explained. "Glad to zee you are zafe..." He whispered.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

The Sniper and Twilight Sparkle stood over a large, almost bottomless pit, with the bomb resting on the edge.

"Watch and learn, lass. This is how you get rid of a bomb." He said, pushing the bomb off with his foot. The explosive whistled as it sank down into the dark abyss. As the bomb disappeared from view, Twilight looked down into the pit. A faint tremor shook the area, and a dim orange light hummed in the shadows, followed by a wave of heat.

"That's how you take care of explosives? Just chuck them down a hole and ignore it?" She asked.

"Yup. Not a problem any more." Sniper boasted, walking back to the group. Twilight sighed, and followed him.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The Administrator watched the entire battle unfold, and smirked as the mercenaries re-entered the base.

"Take a note, Miss Pauling." she said, flicking the ashes from her cigarette holder. Her assistant quickly pulled her clipboard out, and clicked her pen.

"Give the mercenaries a little gift, courtesy of Mann Co. They've earned it." She continued.

Pauling scribbled the note down, and looked up. "One of those products, as well?"

The Administrator paused. "Yes. Give them the key as well. Find out if greed outweighs glory."