• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 2,084 Views, 54 Comments

Friendship VS Machine - FrostyDawn



The REDs and the Mane 6 cross paths once again!

  • ...
3
 54
 2,084

Mann Up!

(Author's note: The pictures are to help describe the landscape of Big Rock, 'cause I'm lazy.)

"The first robot battalion is upon us. Prepare for the first attack." The speakers rang, the mercenaries stopping in their tracks.

"You heard the woman, suit up, mates!" The Sniper said. The different warriors darted in different directions, reloading their weapons, stocking up on ammo reserves, and the Medic loading an Übercharge. All the while, the girls seemed confused.

"Wait, 'robot attack'?! What's going on?" Rarity asked, a concerned look appearing on her face.

"Sorry, gals. Ya'll came at the wrong time. We're fightin' a war here. It's best we git to it so we don't git blown to little sticky bits." The Engineer said, hurriedly packing his sentry gun into a small red, metal box.

"Fighting? We could do that! A little smash here, a wallop there, piece of cake!" Rainbow Dash said boldly, throwing a few punches in air in front of her.

"Oooh! Cake?! I like cake! I'm in!" Pinkie squealed.

The Soldier stopped by and stomped out his cigar. "I don't think so. A couple a ladies like you won't last a minute! Besides, you aren't registered in the RESPAWN system. One hit, and you'd be dead as a doornail." He grumbled.

Spike stepped in front of him and stared up at the mercenary. "Who you calling a lady?!" He growled. The Soldier glared back at him, and scratched his chin. After a look in Spike's eyes, he chuckled.

"Heh. You got spunk, kid. I like that. Follow me." He said, passing the boy a shotgun. A wide grin appeared on Spike's face as he trailed the Soldier out the door.

"Spike, wait! You're going to get hurt!" Twilight yelled after him. The Sniper put a hand on her shoulder.

"Hold on there, mate. Soldier knows what he's doing." He said reassuringly. Twilight Sparkle sighed.

"Fine... What exactly are you guys fighting, anyway?" she asked.

"Robots." he replied.

"Robots." Twilight repeated, skeptic.

"Yea."

"As in, gears and circuits robots?"

"'Course. They're just like us. But uh...-"

"Lemme guess, made of metal?"

"Yeah, that's it. We gotta stop them from dropping the bomb. Literally. They got bombs, and if they get here, they'll drop it down that hatch." Sniper said, pointing to a large metal grate outside. There was a small hole in the panel, but the rest was sealed down tight. "That hatch leads to the foundation of this building here." Sniper continued.

Twilight swallowed hard. "And if they succeed?" She asked, but deep down she knew the answer.

The Sniper leaned in close, through glaring eyes. "Boom." He said softly.

"Gotcha. Boom." She said, sweating. "B-but we're not going to let them win, right?" She asked worriedly.

"Don't sweat it. I'm a professional." He said, trekking out to his sniping perch. Twilight followed him a short distance behind.
<><><><><><><><><><>

The Demoman drunkenly walked to the mine shafts, where the robots would appear first. He then heard a voice behind him.
"You're going to be drunk as you fight. Perhaps that will hinder your might." it said. The Demo grabbed his bottle of scrumpy, smashed it against a wall, and swiveled around, seeing a shocked Zecora standing behind him.

"Oh, it's just a bloody girl. I don't need no tutorin'." He said, his voice gruff and well... Scottish.

"I understand you make things explode. Would you like some help to stop the foe's load?" She asked, stepping a little closer.

"I don't need no help." He replied, and went to take another sip from his bottle. He then looked down, to see that he forgot that it was smashed wide open. "Alright, maybe ya have a point. But why are ya rhyming so much?"

"I've been inflicted with an evil curse. I was just lucky it wasn't any worse." She shrugged. "So, how can I be of assistance? It would be tough to hold our resistance."

The Demo pulled out a celtic sword from a sheathe at his side, and pulled a shield which clung to his back, and passed them to Zecora. "Take these. If anything looks like a robot..." he then straightened his fingers and held them across his neck, before pulling them back with a decapitating motion. As the Demo kept walking, Zecora followed. "Ya got a name, lass?"

"Zecora is my name. Let's put our foe to their shame." She smiled, propping the thick sword on her shoulder.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Derpy had followed the mysterious Pyro out of the base. She drifted after him, her teal wings flapping. Unfortunately, he was not the straightest flyer, and collided with him after a matter of seconds.

"Mpmphmpg pghmph mphp!" He mumbled, his gas mask muffling his speech. He quickly stood back up, and Derpy smiled, her eyes still askew.

"Sorry, mister!" she replied. "Want a muffin?" she said, offering the baked good to the Pyro.

The masked mercenary grasped the muffin, staring at it intently. "Mpmp hmphmp hmpmgh." He sounded, with a subtle hint of sarcasm in his vocalizations. He then tapped the respiratory valve on his mask.

"Oh, right." Derpy chuckled, putting the snack back in her pouch. The Pyro continued walking, and Derpy followed him. "So, what are we gonna do?" she asked.

The Pyro stopped, and stared at the girl. After a short while, he pulled out a flare gun, and handed it to her. Confused, Derpy decided to point it at a rock formation nearby. She pulled the trigger, sending a flare shooting out from the barrel with a high-pitched whistle. However, her poor aim set a bale of hay aflame, which was a few feet away from the rock she was aiming for. She looked up at the Pyro, with a huge smile. The silent one nodded, but held up two fingers. "Mpph." He said.

Derpy took a few seconds to register, but aimed again. Her shot hit the hay stack a second time, causing a searing burst of heat to engulf the target. Derpy smiled. She then followed the Pyro down to the mineshaft. "This is going to be so much fun, Smokey!" she said. The Pyro was a little confused at his new nickname, but just went along.

<><><><><><><><><>
The Engineer found a spot along the pathway, and set his metal box down. It soon unfolded into a large sentry gun. He chuckled at his invention, and prepared to set up the rest of his devices. He turned, and saw Applejack next to him.

"Howdy, mister." She said.

The Engie smiled to see another southerner, and smiled. "Howdy, missy." He said. He unlocked another box, letting it expand into his dispenser.

"Call me AJ. Uh... if it aint too much trouble, yah mind if ah..." She asked politely, and doffing her hat.

The mechanic looked back at the girl, curious.

"...stick with you? Ah mean, I wouldn't trust mahself with any a' yer other folks. They seem a little... trigger happy." she said.

The Engie chuckled. "'Course ya can! Ah'd be happy to show yah the ropes." He opened another box, letting it shift into a teleporter, a device which spun two propeller-like extensions, and hummed with a red, circular plate of light.

"This 'ere's the teleporter. Sends ya back and forth between the two parts." He then rested his hand on the dispenser. "This little thang's a dispenser. Makes ammo, and 'll heal yah up in a jiffy. And for the sentry..." he said, smiling as the turret beeped, ready to blast anything in it's sights. "Well, pretty obvious, aint it?"

AJ seemed intrigued with the machines, and then looked at the other mercenaries. "They all got some pretty big guns... what can ah do fer yah?" she asked.

The Engie scratched his chin with his gloved hand, slightly smearing some grease on his face. "Tell yah what." He said, then passed Applejack a pistol. "Keep an eye out, and plug any robot ya see full a lead." He then nodded as Applejack stuck close to the dispenser. "Let's do this Texas style..." he said.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The Heavy, Spy, Soldier, Scout and Medic stood in the quarry, awaiting the robot horde. The team had set up blue holographic markers, so they could determine where the robots would move on their path to the hatch. The Soldier pulled Spike aside as he reminisced about his 'heroic battles' during WWII. The other mercenaries knew the Soldier was a little 'imaginative', and Spike soon caught on too.

Hurried footsteps sounded behind them. The Scout turned, to see Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy close behind.

"What are ya doin'? You're gonna get wasted out here!" Scout said toward Rainbow Dash specifically.

"What, ya don't think I can handle myself in a fight? I saved you back in Ponyville, ya know." She reminded the Scout.

The Scout grunted, and put a pistol in her hands. "You know, fine. You can fight with me." He said, then pulled out a soft drink, labeled 'BONK! Atomic Punch'. "But if things get too heated, drink this." he said.

Rainbow Dash had a confused look on her face. "How's this gonna help?" she asked.

"I dunno. Radiation, I think. It works, trust me." he said. Rainbow raised an eyebrow, and tucked the can away in her pocket.


Pinkie and Fluttershy made their way up to the Medic and Heavy. "Hey, you ready to crack some robot skulls?" Pinkie said, bouncing excitedly on the ground.

"We just want to help you as long as we're in your world." Fluttershy softly said.

The Medic and Heavy looked at each other, and exchanged some concerned looks. Heavy passed Pinkie a pair of giant, red boxing gloves. "Pink one wants to fight, pink one will fight." Heavy said. Pinkie smiled and started swinging them around.

The Medic handed Fluttershy a long bonesaw, with a bloodstained edge and a red needle-like attachment at the end. "I know it's not like you to fight... but ve could use a ze help ve can get." The Medic said, patting her on the shoulder. "Just ztay close to us."


Rarity found herself walking toward the Spy once more. He seemed so charming before, would it be any different now? The Spy spotted Rarity once more. "Ah, it's you again. Can I help you?" he said coldly. Rarity swallowed hard.

"Um, well, you seem like nice fellow... I hope you wouldn't mind me...assisting you, would you?" She asked, a hopeful grin appearing on her face.

The Spy continued to stare at Rarity. She seemed very persistant. "I zuppose. Take zhese. Shoot anyzhing zhat isnt a friend." he said, tossing his invisi-watch and revolver at her. "This is how he treats a lady? I liked him better when he was blue." She muttered under her breath.

"What was zhat?" The Spy asked, preparing his disguise kit.

"Oh, nothing." Rarity said, falsely chuckling.


The Heavy soon turned to the iron gates which held the swarm of robots. "Who is man enough to stand with me!?" He yelled, so all his comrades could hear.

"Ready!"
"Proceed."
"Good to go!"
"Let's do this!"
"Move 'em out!"
"Mpph! Mpph! Mpph!"
"Get movin', lads!"
"Get going, already!" The Sniper finally yelled, from his far away perch.

The Administrator's voice sounded overhead. "If you had any loved ones, say goodbye to them now." she said.

"Aw, that's just cold." The Scout muttered.

The girls stayed quiet, and close to the mercenaries, as the metal doors creaked open.

Author's Note:

Damn, rhyming as Zecora is hard.