• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,047 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,047

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fifty-Five: The Party

Chapter Fifty-Five: The Party

“Awright!” exclaimed a rather jubilant Spike from his spot on Twilight Sparkle’s back as she was let into the cottage. “Here I am, let’s get this party started!”

“Hello, Spike,” Smokey affectionately greeted the younger dragon, his tail swishing in excitement, threatening to knock something over.

“Hey there, Smokey!” Spike grinned, hopping off of the alicorn’s back and heading over to him as Fluttershy precipitated herself to the vase that had nearly been knocked over by Smokey’s tail to move it. “How ya doin’?”

“Glad to see you here.”

Holding Chenoa in one arm, the older draconian bent over and lowered his other hand to curl it into a fist in front of Spike.

“Yeah, same here!” Spike balled his own hand to bump it with Smokey’s. “It’s not often I get to hang out with another dragon ‘round here -- I just wish there wasn’t such an age difference, but hey! I mean, another dragon! Can only complain so much, right?”

“I feel the same way, little brother,” said Smokey, opening his hand to lightly ruffle the spines on the baby dragon’s playfully.

“Can we save the sappy talk till after the party,” Rainbow Dash asked with a quick roll of her eyes.

“Heh. Yeah, sure. C’mon, let’s get down!”

“Yeah, now we’re talking!” Pinkie Pie squealed, pumping her hoof in the air. Rising up onto her hind legs, she grabbed Spike’s hand to pull him into a spin. The small dragon cried out, but his cry quickly transformed into a laugh as he got into the beat of the music.

“Weren’t we going to play pin the tail on the… Oh, never mind!”

Laughing, Smokey placed Chenoa on the floor, grasping her tiny eagle paws between his thumbs and index fingers to move her back and forth to the rhythm. Chuckling, Fluttershy watched her dragon companion and adoptive daughter dance together. Rarity couldn’t help but observe Pinkie Pie and Spike continue to cut a rug, looking slightly contemplative, as if considering asking to cut in.

Applejack, seeing the others were distracted, threw a challenging smirk at Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, sugarcube, you wanna go a round or two on the game?” the farmer pony questioned. “Ah’m getting a bit tuckered out from all this dancin’.”

“You’re on!” the cyan pegasus accepted, crossing her forelegs over her chest with a just as challenging stare.

The orange-pelted mare grinned, her attention shifting to Twilight Sparkle.

“You want to join in, Twi? The more the merrier!”

“Sure. I could probably beat you two with both hooves tied behind my back anyway!” the princess answered with a smirk.

“Oooh, getting cocky, Yer Highness?”

“You should be careful what you say, Princess Twilight,” Smokey chuckled, casting an askew glance at the young alicorn. “Either of them might beat you.”

“I’m fairly sure I can win.”

“Yeah, only if you don’t use yer magic ta cheat.”

Applejack bumped her flank against Twilight sparkle’s with a short laugh.

“Oh, c’mon, Applejack! Would I do such a thing to you and Rainbow?”

After watching the alicorn and earth pony’s exchange in amusement, Smokey turned to Fluttershy.

“Do you want to play, my dear?”

Smiling lightly, Fluttershy brushed a strand of pink hair out of her face.

“Ummm… Sure, why not?”

“Then come on!” Rainbow Dash zipped over to the other pegasus, grasping onto her front hooves to drag her to the vicinity of the poster depicting a tailless pony Pinkie Pie had put up. “Blind her, Pinkie!”

Fluttershy squeaked, opening her mouth to protest, but before she could her eyes were covered by the blindfold. She got a “girls” before she felt the tail being placed in her hoof and was promptly spun around several times.

Dazed and disoriented, she felt a shove from behind and she hobbled off, teetering and tottering until she smacked into the wall. Padding it a few times, she reached up and pinned the tail where she thought the pony on the poster’s rear would be. Stepping back and removing the blindfold…

… She saw she had pinned the pony right between the eyes.

Turning to allow Chenoa to watch as Fluttershy attempted to pin the tail in the correct spot. The small chick laughed uproariously at the imagery of the pony with the tail dangling from the wrong area. She laughed so hard that tears began spearing from her eyes.

Fluttershy was at first disappointed at this, though as she heard Chenoa laugh, she turned to the baby with a massive smile. She giggled, and her other friends quickly joined in as well, finding the child’s laugher infectious. Even as Smokey handed her over to the mare to take a turn playing, she continued laughing.

Allowing himself to be blindfolded and spun around, the red dragon carefully moved forth. Bumping into the wall, he lifted his tail-wielding hand to stick the tail onto the poster. His ear frills perked and flared as he heard Chenoa laugh all over again. Pulling the cloth covering his eyes, he saw that he stuck his tail over one of the pony’s eyes.

“Oh, wow! Ah thought Fluttershy was off. At least she didn’t blind th’ poor thing!” Applejack chuckled.

“You think you can do better?” Rarity inquired.

“Ah know Ah can!” Applejack proclaimed. Complying, Pinkie Pie tied the blindfold around the blonde equine’s head before spinning her around. She was a bit dazed, but she confidently ambled forward to slap the tail on the wall. “There! And that’s how ya do…”

She whipped off the blindfold, only to find she had missed the poster entirely, and had stuck the tail to the wall beside it.

“My turn!” Rainbow Dash declared, touching to the floor next to Pinkie Pie.

“Let’s see if Miss Rainbow Dash can do better,” Smokey said, reaching to stroke the still giggling infant’s head.

The pink pony giggled as Applejack sat down, grumbling. Taking the blindfold, she wrapped it around Rainbow Dash’s head before spinning her around several times. Stumbling around a tiny bit as she succumbed to dizziness, the prism-maned pony directed her body into the direction of the poster, sticking the tail underneath the belly, in front of the hind legs’ knees.

Pinkie Pie laughed even harder upon seeing Rainbow Dash’s addition.

“Goodness! Blinded and turned into a stallion!” Applejack laughed. “That mare’s having one heck of a day!”

“We are the worst doctors ever!” Pinkie Pie snickered.

“Actually, I would like to think medical procedures wouldn’t be done in so careless a manner…” Twilight Sparkle mused, clearly not getting the joke.

“You have obviously never seen Canterlot University med students,” Spike grumbled, in a wary, almost apprehensive tone that implied he wasn’t joking at all.

Smokey tried to hold back a laugh as he turned to Spike with an arched eyebrow.

“And… snerk… you have?”

“Yyyeah. Used to live there with Twilight before we both came to Ponyville. Canterlot University is home to some brilliant minds, but the medical students worry me. Some of them don’t seem to care about the profession. Heck, most of them seem to want to party rather than actually focus on their field of study!”

“Sounds like my kind of ponies!” Pinkie Pie piped up.

“Pinkie, university ponies usually party with alcohol and…” Rainbow Dash trailed off, casting a glance at Spike. “Uh… I’ll tell ya later.”

“And what?” Spike asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Oooh! Sounds even more fun!” Pinkie Pie squealed, turning to Twilight Sparkle. “When’s spring break?”

The lavender alicorn narrowed her eyes.

“Pinkie, you can’t just wander onto campus for the sole purpose of joining a party! You need identification, and you’d need to apply to the school!”

The curly-maned mare blinked, looking a bit depressed for a second, then rolled her eyes up in thought.

“They only accept unicorns,” she deadpanned, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

Pinkie Pie looked even more disappointed, then broke into a smile a second later.

“Aww. Oh well!”

“Eh, they wouldn’t be able to handle you, anyways, Pinks,” Applejack said. “You’d party ‘em all under the table!”

“Yeah, don’t worry, Pinkie. Ya still got us to party with,” Rainbow Dash reminded.

“You wouldn’t want to party with them anyway,” Spike stated. “They can be kind of… mean.”

Pinkie Pie giggled, pulling Rainbow Dash into a one-forelegged hug.

“I’d rather stay with my friends than a bunch of mean old meaniepants anyway! Who’s next?”

“It sounds like either Spike, Miss Rarity, or Princess Twilight,” Smokey replied, throwing an arm around Fluttershy’s shoulders and drawing her right up to his side.

“Ladies first.”

The purple-scaled dragon glanced over at the two remaining mares, though his eyes were, as usual, more focused on Rarity.

“Go ahead, darling.” Rarity smiled at Twilight Sparkle. “After all, royalty gets a pass… and you always save the best for last.”

Twilight Sparkle rolled her eyes, chuckling as she allowed herself to be blindfolded and spun around. Stumbling forward, she stamped the tail in her hoof on the poster and was surprised to observe that she wasn’t TOO terribly off the mark. While it still wasn’t on the pony’s rear (it would have been on the cutie mark had the pony on the poster had one), it was closer than anyone thus far.

“Not bad,” Rainbow Dash remarked.

Fluttershy, hugging Chenoa close, didn’t notice at first that Smokey had wrapped an arm around her. Letting out a squeak upon realization, she gazed up at him with a soft smile tipping her lips.

Smokey grinned down at the yellow pegasus adoringly, his heart beating faster at the sight of her.

“You know what, Miss Fluttershy? You are the cutest pony in town.”

The mare went red in the face at the compliment.

“Oh? Uh, um… Well… Um… Th-thank you, Smokey.” She fluttered her eyelashes at him with a squeeing grin. “You’re… quite handsome yourself…”

“I still cannot believe that you think I’m handsome.” He shook his head, cuddling the pony and child closer. “You are just the sweetest.”

“You’re sweet, too… I don’t think I ever met anypony half as kind and thoughtful as you. You’re selfless, you’re very caring… you’re…” she breathed, locking her eyes with his. “… You’re wonderful!”

“What about your friends? Surely, they’d have to be as kind as I am,” Smokey reasoned with a chuckle, glancing over at the other equines and baby dragon.

“Yeah, Fluttershy, what about us?” the light blue pegasus prompted, sounding a little indignant.

“Well…” Fluttershy appeared a bit mortified, her cheeks saturated with a shade of bright red. “I meant anypony aside from you all! I… oh…”

She lifted Chenoa to hide her face as Twilight Sparkle approached her.

“It’s all right, Fluttershy. You were talking about any male pony, right?”

“I… um…?”

The pink-maned pegasus blinked, lowering the chick from her face to meet the princess’ gaze.

Oh, please, it’s so obvious!” Rarity cut in with a wide grin.

Rainbow Dash sighed, a small smile pulling at the corners of her mouth.

“It’s cool, Fluttershy. We know how much you love your dragon,” she said with a teasing wink, causing the mentioned reptilian to blush heavily.

Fluttershy blushed harder, her wings flaring.

“But… I…”

“Ah, relax, sugarcube,” Applejack laughed. “We’re only teasin’ ya, is all! No need ta get all flustered.”

“I meant love in the way you love us, Fluttershy,” the rainbow-haired mare snickered.

“Oh, I see,” Smokey sighed, the blush washing from his visage.

“Really?” Pinkie Pie questioned. “I thought you WERE talking about that kind of love!”

“Pinkie!” Fluttershy squeaked, sounding shocked.

“What?” The pink mare shrugged. “There’s nothing wrong with it! I mean, I love Gummy and he’s a gator and ponies don’t say anything about it.”

“Ah don’t think that’s the same kind of love…” Applejack said, nudging Pinkie Pie with her hoof.

“I meant… the sort of love between good friends,” Smokey relayed for the ponies and baby dragon.

“Ohhhhh…”

Pinkie Pie’s eyes flickered in sudden understanding… Though, it appeared everyone else was already well aware of the implications. Applejack looked like she wanted to say something, but she merely shook her head.

“Uhh… Rarity, you’re up,” said Rainbow Dash, in an attempt to break the awkward silence.

Applejack wordlessly moved to collect the blindfold and a tail to cover Rarity’s eyes.

“Oh! Watch the mane, Applejack, I just had this permed -- whooaahaahaa!”

She yelled out as she was spun around again and again before she was stopped. Appearing ill, she fumbled forth, bumping into a table and landing on the floor with a sharp cry. Spike was almost immediately at her side, practically fawning over his “Lady Rarity”.

“Rarity, are you all right? Are you hurt? Let me get an ice pack!”

“Oh, no, thank you, Spike. I just bumped my leg… Did I get the pony?”

Sure enough, during her stumbling, she had unintentionally stuck the tail to the poster right where it should be.

“You certainly did, Miss Rarity! It looks like you won!” said Smokey with a congratulatory smile.

Applejack narrowed her eyes a bit.

“Well, I’ll be! Yew did it, Rare!”

“Wowee!” Pinkie Pie beamed. “Talk about lucky!”

“What should we do now?” Smokey asked, his arm releasing Fluttershy in case she wanted to move away from him.

Rainbow Dash smirked in a rather devious manner as she pulled glass bottle of soda seemingly out of nowhere.

“We can play Spin the Bottle.”

“Oh, uh… Well…”

Spike looked conflicted. He seemed to be intrigued, looking over at the alabaster unicorn. He wanted to play, simply for the sole chance at kissing her, but on the other hand, he wasn’t entirely thrilled with the idea of kissing anyone else. And the odds did not seem to be in his favor.

None of the others seemed partial to the idea, all of them exchanging glances. Aside from Spike, the only male present was Smokey himself.

Barking a laugh at the others‘ reactions, Rainbow Dash vigorously shook the bottle.

“Relax, guys! I was just joking! Heads up!” she shouted before removing the cap, releasing a stream of foamy root beer at a couple of her friends, starting with Rarity.

Smokey gasped. Before the sky blue pegasus could get to him, he grabbed Fluttershy and turned around, unfolding his wings. The other mares let out a startled scream, Pinkie Pie diving under a table to avoid it, and Twilight Sparkle used her magic to grab the closest thing to use it as an impromptu shield -- which, unfortunately for Spike, just happened to be him.

Rarity nearly shrieked as her permed mane got soaked. Drenched and dripping with the sticky, sugary fluid, she gasped… before growling and letting out a bestial snarl.

“Oh… it. Is. ON!”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at the other fanfiction, Fire and Ice, I'd appreciate it! A lot of work was put into it. ^_^

PreviousChapters Next