• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,041 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,041

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Nineteen: Not Alone

Chapter Nineteen: Not Alone

“That just goes to show how perfect you are.” Smokey returned to the sink with the peeler in hand, his free claws grasping the first potato. They were all quite large and he was sure he would make plenty of soup for them and the werewolf for when he returned. He was certain the furry canine would--he was practically a walking skeleton covered in a thick coat of fur. As long as the beast had no deadly intentions, the dragon would be more than happy to feed him until game broke out in spring.

It was then he was struck by an undesirably dreadful thought that concerned his funds. What if he would not be able to afford to feed himself and his animals in the future? What if he wouldn’t be able to obtain any customers for his magic shows?

The young mare continued to smile, but said nothing as she turned her attention back to Chenoa and her new animal friends. Her thoughts were of them and on getting better. As it were, she actually wanted to be up and helping Smokey in the kitchen. Dinner would get done so much faster with the two of them working together, but at the same time she knew he wouldn’t be entirely receptive of it. It was just as well--she didn’t want to possibly infect anything and getting him sick, too. Or risk making her condition worse than it currently was.

The reptilian remained silent as he peeled the skin and eyes from the potato clenched in his claws, his worries swimming through his mind like a rampant school of fish. One idle glance at the steaming mug sitting a couple of feet away brought him out of his mental musings. Setting down the objects in his hands, he returned to Fluttershy’s tea, removing the bag and stirring in a small amount of honey. Tending to the cup of liquid lead him to the medicine bottle on the counter separating the kitchenette from the living room. Sauntering over to it, he measured out the proper dosage then delivered it and the tea to the peagsus.

The equine looked up at Smokey, still a bit pink in her face as he approached. Noticing the mug and medicine contained in his hands, her smile grew as she reached for them.

“Thank you so much, Smokey. I really appreciate you doing all of this for me. I should do something for you in return when I get better. I don’t like just laying around doing nothing… Makes me feel… useless…”

“No, it’s okay. You are not being useless at all. Not only are you helping me speed up your recovery by resting, you are also watching our little girl when I’m not able to.” His gentle gaze then went to the chick, who had been lulled into a state of tranquility by the combination of Fluttershy’s singing and cuddling. The baby appeared like she was ready for another nap. “You have been a wonder with her.”

The pegasus smiled, laying Chenoa down and slipping the blanket over her. Leaning down to kiss her once, she sat up and took her medicine before swallowing the warm tea to wash it down.

“It’s no bother at all. She’s such a good baby… All she needs is a little exercise, a few meals, and lots of sleep. It’ll be some time before she’ll outgrow the need for naptime.”

“Let us not forget love, hugs, and kisses.” He chuckled, his heart melting all over again at the sight of the sleepy griffon. Not taking his eyes off the child for a second, he extended his hand to take the empty medicine cup. “The little lady deserves nothing less.”

“Of course. Any baby needs that. Especially love…”

Fluttershy sighed lightly, knowing of the horror stories of colts and fillies that were mistreated at home, school, or elsewhere. She herself had been a victim of constant abuse at school and flight camp. If it hadn’t been for Rainbow Dash sticking up for her…

And poor Smokey, she mentally mused, glancing up at him. His story had to be a sad one. He appeared sullen every time he mentioned his past. She didn’t know the full story, but she didn’t want to pressure him into revealing it. Nevertheless, what ever trauma he had suffered, she was determined to make sure Chenoa never received it to the best of her ability.

“She will be getting plenty of that from us.” As the red-scaled reptile shifted on his feet, he felt his toes touch something soft and fluffy. Casting an investigative gaze down at what his foot had found, he noticed it was just the stuffed panda. Bending over, he scooped up the plush and set it down beside the child for her to cuddle if she so desired before sitting down in front of the pony.

“True. I want to give her the same amount of love my parents gave me.”

She smiled down at the white-pelted chick as she curled her forelegs around the panda’s neck, then gasped in sudden realization. Turning to Smokey, she held a hoof to her bottom lip.

“Oh! … Smokey, I’m sorry. I… almost forgot. You…” She went silent for a few seconds. “You never knew yours…”

The dragon felt an unpleasant pang in his chest, the all too familiar pain of his childhood creeping up on him and gripping his heart. His entire frame drooped, a sad frown taking over his scaly features. He said nothing for a good long moment until he found his voice.

“No. I didn’t.” Truthfully, Smokey wanted to tell Fluttershy of his past… but he felt he just was not ready.

Fluttershy bit her lip lightly and moved closer to him to hug him.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized again in a whisper, holding him tighter and resting her head against his chest. “I wouldn’t know what that feels like, but I can bet the heartache must be… awful. Just awful.”

Smokey blinked down at the small mare as she embraced him. Almost instantaneously, he felt half of his pain ebb away. Being denied such physical contact from ponies, and naturally yearning for such attention, he tossed his own arms around her to return the hug.

“It… it is… but, I’ll be all right.”

“Well, if you ever need a shoulder to cry on… I’ll be here,” she said, drawing her head back to meet his quivering eyes. “I may not know what happened, or what you’ve been through, or what it’s been like to have gone through it… but if you ever need a friend, don’t hesitate to turn to me.”

He was thoroughly touched by the pegasus’ words. Never before had he felt his heart melt in this manner, a relieving glow sprouting from his chest and filling him up. A soft smile painted across his maw, his eyes pooling with happy tears. He held her tighter, a lengthy purr escaping his mouth as he craned his neck and lowered his head to nuzzle her.

“Th… thank you…”

“It’s not a problem, really,” she assured him. “I’ve relied on my friends before, and I know they’ll always be there for me if I need them. And I promised myself, no matter what, I’d do the same.”

At that moment, she felt the need to sing… So she did just that.

“I… never had that… With the exception of my animals.” Overflowing, his eyes finally released a couple of teardrops, simultaneously sliding down both sides of his face. The tears on the cheek facing Fluttershy dissolved into her fur as he continued to nuzzle her. A fresh soothing wave washed over him at the mare’s voice, his heart brewing greater affection for her.

For several minutes, Fluttershy sang softly, just attempting to soothe him as she rocked back and forth in his arms. Holding him closely and dearly, she nuzzled him back. Wishing to heal his pain, she tried singing as gently and as lovingly as she could, sounding almost akin to a mother calming her child. She knew he wasn’t one--and that, in all possibility, was likely older than her--, but it did not stop her.

Fingers splayed out and kneading his claws in the mare’s velvety fur, he nuzzled her more fervently. The swaying motions worked as an additional source of calm along with Fluttershy’s singing and her warm embrace. This mare was incredible, the dragon thought to himself. Even his own animals have not been able to provide comfort like this--as much as he loved them. This was a different sort of comfort--a higher level of comfort. A reconciliation that had long faded from his memory. His purrs rolled out of his throat at a higher pitch and frequency, blending in with the pony’s voice.

As the song diminished into nothing, the pegasus released the dragon and pulled back to smile up at him. “Are you feeling any better now?”

“Oh, yes… Much better, thank you.” Smokey sat up straight, his hands sliding off the pony’s body to wipe at his eyes then rest them lazily on his folded legs. Emerald green pools glassed over from moisture, he grinned, grateful for the consolation. “You… you are incredible, my dear. I… have never felt comfort like that before… Or, not that I can remember.”

“I’m glad you’re feeling better. I hate seeing a dear friend cry…” She raised her good hoof to touch one of his arms. “I know… you’re carrying a burden, and I know you feel you can’t talk about it yet. I’m not going to force you to… but when you’re ready, and only when you’re ready… I’ll listen. I want you to know you’re not alone, Smokey.”

Another spark of affection ignited within the draconian, a short yet sweet purr vibrating in his throat. Knowing that he finally had found a friend who was devoted to making sure he would never be alone again inspired his eyes to well up again with blissful tears.

“You already consider me a dear friend?” he questioned with legitimate surprise as he brought his hand on Fluttershy’s pastern.

“I consider everypony I care about a dear friend,” Fluttershy responded. “Besides… you saved my life. And Chenoa’s. It doesn’t get any dearer than that.

“You’re the first dragon I’ve ever met, outside of Spike, that actually risked himself for a complete stranger… I honestly thought I was done for.”

Smokey’s eyes shut halfway, dropping his head closer to her face with an adoring purr. This sweet little pony was really growing on him in such a short amount of time.

“I wouldn’t be able to let anypony drown--or get hurt in any other way. Especially beautiful ladies like you two.” A wide and slightly teasing smirk tugged at his lips, his thumb repeatedly stroking over her hoof.

“… Why… thank you…” She blushed with a tiny giggle. “You know, I’m getting a little concerned. I mean… um… Don’t get me wrong… No girl doesn’t like getting compliments… but… I’d… almost say you were…”

She blushed harder, unable to finish the rest of her sentence. However, Smokey had gotten the message, as he took his turn to turn pink. Withdrawing his head a little, he removed his claws from her hoof as a small amount of shyness took over his demeanor.

“Oh… My apologies… It’s… it’s just I find it irresistible to flatter you. I hope I’m not making you uncomfortable.”

“Oh, no!” she hastily assured him. “Or… well… maybe? I don’t entirely know what to feel, to be honest. You’re the only male that’s… ever really shown any significant interest in me. Even if it’s only words. I’ve never been flattered by such a… a… big… strong… handsome male…”

Her blush darkened even further, and gave a squeaking grin.

‘Significant interest?’

Smokey was only cajoling her… At least, that’s what he thought… Wait! Did she just say handsome?

“H-handsome? Me?” he ventured, his blush dying a deeper shade of pink. He wanted to make sure he heard right.

“Yes. Of course.” Her nervous smile grew in size. “Look at you… You’re… tall. You’re powerful. You’re no stallion, but, um, you’re… you’re really… nice. To look at… I like your eyes… They’re quite pretty… And your voice… is so gentle…”

Flushing even more intensely from the pony’s words, Smokey lowered his eyes to his lap in a bashful manner. How the tables have turned. The dragon was at a loss for words, his mind rendered partially numb.

“I… w-well… Y-you’re too kind, really,” he finally said, returning his eyes to her. “Y-you’re just the… sweetest thing.”

The pony turned her head away, pressing her hooves together. “You’re… you’re sweet too… I don’t believe I’ve ever met anypony like you.”

She yawned, suddenly overwhelmed with a desire for sleep. Though as her stomach rumbled, she analyzed that her need for food was greater.

“You must have--Uh… Oh, right. Dinner. Sorry.” The dragon mentally kicked himself for forgetting about the meal again. He would need to feed his critters again in a bit, too. Pushing himself onto his feet, he hurried back to the kitchen to resume peeling the potatoes.

PreviousChapters Next