• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,047 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,047

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fifty-Four: SURPRISE!

Chapter Fifty-Four: SURPRISE!

A wide grin tugged at the corners of Smokey’s mouth upon hearing Fluttershy’s acceptance, his heart rate speeding up and his tail swishing, accidentally knocking over the chair behind him.

Both he and Fluttershy whirled around to greet Pinkie Pie with a smile, though the dragon’s could not be seen through his mask.

“Hello, Miss Pinkie Pie. How are you?”

“I’m doing super incredible today!” Pinkie Pie chimed. “How are you?”

“Doing well,” Fluttershy replied. “So… you heard?”

“Heard what?” the curly-maned mare inquired, her eyes and smile wide. “I was just passing by, saw you and wanted to say hi to my bestest best friends in all of Equestria!”

“How many bestest best friends do you happen to have, Miss Pinkie?”

The dragon smirked, playfully nudging the pink pony in the side of the head with his nose.

“Lots and lots! There’s you and Fluttershy, and Twilight, and Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, and Applejack, and Bon Bon, and Lyra, and Big Macintosh, and Vinyl, and Berry, and--”

“I think it would probably be safe to say she’s best friends with everypony,” the pegasus giggled.

“Heh. Well, that’s nice. Miss Pinkie is a wonderful friend.”

With a broad grin, the dragon set Chenoa onto Fluttershy’s back then pulled the other mare into a tight hug and nuzzled her curly forelock.

“Awwww!” Pinkie Pie grinned, nuzzling him in return. “Thank you! SAY! Are you three heading anywhere today?”

“Uh, no. Smokey, Chenoa, and I were just heading back home. My home, anyway,” Fluttershy answered.

Pinkie Pie suddenly seemed slightly anxious upon hearing this.

“Oh. Alright! Well, don’t mind me. I need to get back to Sugarcube Corner. Lots of cupcakes to bake! I’ll see you both later!”

With that, she pulled away and promptly bounced off.

“See you later, Miss Pinkie!” Smokey waved off the frizzy-haired equine before turning to Fluttershy. “Shall we go?”

“Of course.”

A soft smile adorned the young mare’s face, nodding once. She wanted to get home, feeling a little drowsy. A nap with Chenoa sounded pleasant…

“Thank you again!”

The dragon waved to the proprietors of the establishment before plodding up to the door to open it for his companion and their adopted daughter. After goodbyes were dispensed, they exited the sweet and tea shop, the mare leading the way through the streets of Ponyville. She kept a good, even pace, though she was stopped a couple of times by ponies. They didn’t keep her and Smokey very long -- only to ask something innocuous or gush over the baby.

Smokey was proud that their child was being fawned over by other ponies. He even paused a few times to nuzzle the griffon before they reached Fluttershy’s cottage. Little did the small group know that a surprise was waiting for them inside.

The door swung open with an audible creeeaak as they wandered inside, the mare and dragon’s brows arching in confusion as to why the interior of the cottage was dark.

“Huh. I don’t remember drawing the curtains,” Fluttershy said, walking into the middle of the dim room. “It’s still mid-afternoon, why is it so dark in--”

The entire room was suddenly illuminated as the lights flicked on, and the rest of their friends burst out from their respective hiding places as confetti fell and streamers and a large banner saying CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST SHOW!!!rolled down from the ceiling.

“SURPRIIIIISE!!” they shouted in unison.

Smokey almost jumped out of his costume, his eyes nearly popping out of their sockets at the unexpected surprise. Sitting on his haunches and removing his mask, he dropped his jaw at the sight of the banner.

Chenoa clung tightly to Fluttershy, close to bursting into tears in fright. She quickly recovered and gazed in awe at the brightly colored balloons that were tied down in every conceivable direction.

Fluttershy had a far more shocked reaction. She had went straight as a board, her mane and tail standing on end and spiked out and let out a shrill “EEEEEEEEEE!!”.

“I wasn’t expecting this,” Smokey breathed, peeling the duct tape from his head.

“That’s the point of a surprise!” Pinkie Pie gushed, a wide smile pulling at the corners of her lips. “It wouldn’t be a surprise if somepony is EXPECTING it!”

“Oh… Pinkie… Everypony… you scared me,” Fluttershy sighed, her heart still racing as she slowly calmed down. “Wha… what’s all--?”

“It’s a party for Smokey!” Pinkie clarified, lifting a hoof to direct her attention to the banner. “To congratulate him on his first show!”

“Congratulate me on my first show?” the dragon parroted as he reached over to the child on Fluttershy’s back to pick her up and hold her close to his torso. “Miss Pinkie, my show was a disaster. Is that really something to celebrate?”

“Well, duh!” The party pony turned her eyes back to Smokey. “Of course we celebrate! It’s your first show! And, yeah, it bombed, but that’s no reason not to try again, right? It wasn’t you or your tricks that went wrong!”

“You were quite good,” said Rarity. “It was those awful fillies that started up. You shouldn’t let them get to you.”

“Y’gotta admit, Pinkie did kinda steal the show…” Applejack mumbled.

“You gotta turn that frown upside down!” Pinkie Pie continued, rotating her head 180 degrees, then back to it’s primary position. “And get back on that horse and try again!”

Fluttershy and Smokey went quiet, as did their remaining friends at Pinkie Pie’s unusual choice for a phrase.

“You understand what I’m saying!”

“I don’t know…” Smokey sighed, stroking a covered hand over Chenoa’s head. “My magic has been getting worse, and draining me of my energy more and more. Maybe I should quit and stick to cooking.”

“No way! We’re not gonna let you give up just like that, aren’t we, girls?” Rainbow Dash huffed, turning to her friends expectantly for support.

“Of course not!” Pinkie Pie said.

“No way,” Applejack followed.

“Not a chance,” Rarity chimed in.

“Never,” Fluttershy contributed as she furled a foreleg around his mid-section to give him a hug.

Twilight Sparkle smiled, saying nothing at first. She appeared to be in contemplation of something, before she finally addressed the winged draconian.

“You know, my special talent is magic. I wouldn’t mind helping out or providing some assistance with what ever books or pointers you might need,” the alicorn offered, folding her wings back. “And, if you need some further help, I know somepony who is REALLY good at stage magic. She’s a little… Well… She can be a little full of herself at times, but if I write to her I wonder if she might be willing to show you a few… trade secrets. Magician to magician.”

“Really?” Smokey’s sea green eyes lit up, a small hopeful smile stretching across his scaly features. “You would do that for me, Princess Twilight?”

“Of course!” Twilight Sparkle beamed. “I’d do anything to help out my friends.”

“I appreciate it.” Offering the alicorn a small bow, he then gazed at each mare with a wider grin. “Shall we start the party then?”

“ALLLLL-RIGHT!”

Thrusting a hoof into the air, Pinkie Pie proceeded to remove the lampshade from a nearby lamp and placed it on top of her head. As music started up, she and Rainbow Dash immediately began to dance.

Putting down Chenoa, Smokey slipped out of the rest of his costume and draped it over the couch. Before he could get into the music, he spied the baby attempting to imitate the dancing equines.

“Oh, look!” Rarity squealed. “How adorable!”

Fluttershy, who hadn’t been paying attention, turned around. Spotting Chenoa, she giggled and walked up to her.

“How sweet!” the mare gushed. “Chenoa, do you want to dance with Mommy and Daddy?”

“Mama!” the chick squeaked, bobbing her body up and down in rhythm to the music playing somewhere in the background.

“I’m guessing that means yes,” Smokey laughed.

Laughing lightly, the yellow pegasus slowly and gently swayed and bobbed to an unheard beat -- a soft, gentle dance that contrasted the otherwise fast-paced, frantic music.

Chenoa continued bouncing to the music, squeaking and babbling in merriment -- much to the amusement of the ponies and dragon.

Bending over, Smokey grasped onto Fluttershy’s pasterns and lifted her up onto her hind legs as he stood straight up.

“Care to dance with me, my dear?” he inquired as he drew her closer.

“Oh!” Fluttershy blinked, suddenly blushing. Dispensing a nervous smile, she gazed up at his face with a slight tilt of her head. “Um, well…”

The current track ended, switching over to a song that was far softer and slower.

“… Sure.”

Satisfied with her answer, Smokey pulled her even closer, stepping in circles and swaying in rhythm with the new song.

Chenoa had ceased dancing when the previous song ended, and was now sitting quietly, watching her adoptive parents. Even the other mares had stopped -- at least most of them had. Pinkie Pie had grabbed onto Rainbow Dash and began to dance with her -- or, at least attempted to get the prism-maned pony to dance with her. Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash were content watching their pegasus friend and her dragon partner as she danced with him.

Fluttershy didn’t think it, but she displayed that she was surprisingly graceful on two legs as she was on four. Smokey gazed into her eyes, becoming absolutely mesmerized by the blue-green pools. Heart picking up speed, the dragon realized he could no longer ignore the fact that he held special feelings for her… While he felt this way, he couldn’t decide whether he should act upon them or just remain her friend.

Meeting his own green orbs, Fluttershy felt her own heart flutter and thump against her chest. For a dragon, he was so handsome… and so caring, so… wonderful. Smiling warmly, she tipped her head and pressed it against his broad chest, inhaling a deep breath through her nose and taking in his scent…

He was so warm, and so strong… She could feel the power radiating through his muscles, the pure strength that lay deep within, though his touch was so gentle… almost nurturing.

She, too, recognized that she was feeling something alien, something unusual and new for him. Ever since she had been spending more and more time with him, she had begun having dreams about him -- simple dreams, mainly. Sometimes with Chenoa, sometimes not, most of them wildly different from one another…

All of them had one thing in them that remained constant: they were always together.

Smokey had a similar experience -- dreaming dreams consisting of his small family, mostly Fluttershy and Chenoa. Those two and his animals had become his whole world -- the source of his existence.

In the heat of the moment, he lowered his head, shutting his eyes as he kissed her forehead.

Fluttershy’s eyes snapped wide open at that very instant. Pulling away slightly, but not out of Smokey’s arms entirely, she blinked up at him with a blush and a confused expression.

The scarlet reptilian stared down at her, thinking that he had done something wrong.

“I’m sorry. Was that too… forward?”

“Are you sure you two aren’t together?” Rainbow Dash asked with a sly smirk.

“I… Um… I… I… Eep!” Fluttershy squeaked, her lips tugging into a grin, complete with a squee.

“Oh, you are!” Rarity gasped, elated.

“NO!” Fluttershy nearly shouted, going even redder in the face. “I mean… no. No, we aren’t. We’re friends. Just friends. Only friends.”

“Really good friends,” Smokey added with a nervous toothy smile. In an effort to save them of even more embarrassment, he changed the subject. “Say, where is Spike?”

***

“Raggin-fraggin Princess Twilight,” Spike grumbled, as he finished sweeping up the floor and picked up a few books to re-shelf them. “Spike, stay here and do this, stay behind and do that. Can’t go for the games, can’t go on an adventure, can’t even go to a party! I never get to go anywhere, I never get to do anything, I never get to have any fun!”

***

“He’s just holding down the fort at home,” Twilight Sparkle replied with a smile. “He’s so sweet to do that for me all the time. I really should do something nice for him.”

“Why didn’t you let him come to the party? I bet he would’ve liked that,” Smokey stated, recalling what Spike had told him about staying home nearly all the time and rarely going out with the others. “Why don’t you go get him, Princess Twilight?”

“Well, I do need somepony to stay behind and keep the library open, just in case somepony comes by…” the alicorn said, lifting a hoof to her chin. “Though, I suppose a day off couldn’t hurt! One second!”

Horn illuminating, the winged and horned equine disappeared in a flash.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! I would appreciate it if you guys would take a look at my other fanfiction, Fire and Ice. It is rated Mature, but only for brief violence. :3

Hooray for shameless advertising! :D

PreviousChapters Next