• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 1,810 Views, 24 Comments

Ace Combat: The Changeling War - Lonewolf78



The Crystal Empire has been invaded by the Changeling Kingdom, forcing the military and civillians to evacuate the country. With the help of Equestrian armed forces, will the Empire's remaining forces be able to regroup and take back the countr

  • ...
8
 24
 1,810

Chapter 9: Discovery

Oured AFB
May 18 2023
01:23 hours.

As usual the dream had hit Nightshade again, but this time it would be a little different.

As before, the bomber hit her village, and the planes formed back up. She yelled at Maverick, who replied:

"Nightshade, I had no..." suddenly his plane exploded.

"Maverick?" she said.

"All planes 12 bandits have arrived, break!" All of them did except for Nightshade. Almost instantly Misty and Tornado got hit.

"Misty! Tornado!" She tried to turn around, but she kept heading for her village, which seemed to be staying the same distance from her.

"Nightshade help us!" Surprise yelled.

"I can't shake him!" yelled somepony else.

"Sundance? What are you doing...."

"Nightshade help me!" she replied.

"B-But..." she continued to fly towards the village.

"They got Tempestra! Nightshade hurry up there's only two of us left!" yelled Heart Throb.

"I can't! I've gotta see... Surprise? Sundance?"

The radio was dead.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Your wingponies and friend are dead." said a mysterious voice on the radio.

"Who are you?" Nightshade asked.

"Is this how you want it to end?"

"What end?" she asked.

"What will happen if you continue to let that bomber incident haunt you." Suddenly a giant aircraft appeared next to her. She had never seen it before. It looked like a pair of B-2's connected together in a double wing arrangement. She didn't recognize the paint scheme, but she did recognize the cutie mark on it.

"P-Princess..."

"Luna. Yes it's me," the voice replied.

"H-How did you... what's going on?" stuttered Nightshade.

"I am the princess of the night. Therefore it is my duty to watch over ponies while they sleep, including looking into their dreams. I've seldom had to cover the Crystal Empire, so you may not have been aware of this," she replied.

"Nightshade started crying.

"Please get those memories out of my mind," she said.

"I cannot remove what is in your mind. You must overcome it yourself," replied Luna.

"How?"

"Think about your previous time in the CEAF. Even your time in the LoD. You have the strength to overcome it. Especially if you open up about it to others."

The dream began to disintegrate, and Luna peeled off from her.

"You can do it. Your wingmates, friend, and village are depending on it!" was Luna's last words before she woke up. She sat up in bed quickly, and looked at the time. It was a little after 7AM. She got up and headed to the mess hall. She found the others already there.

"How was your sleep?" Surprise asked. Nightshade sighed and sat down.

"Care to share your dream with us?" asked Maverick. Her eyes got big.

"How did you know?" she asked him.

"Who do you think got Luna to pay you a visit? And I knew it had to be something to do with that incident," he replied. She bowed her head.

"I'll tell you," she replied. And she spent breakfast talking to them about it.

"So why didn't you have those flashbacks while you were with the LoD?" Tornado asked.

"I don't know. After the first time I met Maverick again I did have a couple, and it happened a few other times while living in the village, but it wasn't until I got back in the saddle again they started hitting me hard," she replied."

"You put everything with the LoD behind you. You can do it for that also," Maverick said.

"I'll... try," she replied.


-----------------------------------

Oured AFB
08:00 hours.

The squadrons had settled in for the mission briefing.

"OK folks. This is a repeat of yesterday, though half of you Garuda will be assisting in the bombing of ground targets. You'll be loaded with 500 pound GBU's and Sidewinders. The burst missiles are again a threat, and you are to shoot down any drones on sight."

"Now speaking of the missiles and drones: We have secured the wreckage of some, and with help from the Equestria Intelligence Agency are examining them." Slugger's tone of voice changed.

"But that's not the biggest thing: We have found the source of the missiles, and it's a doozy."

The crowd stirred a bit over the news.

"To help me explain it, we've brought in the member of the EIA who has been assigned to this development. Moonstone." and the rainbow maned unicorn walked in, much to Maverick's surprise.

"Hey," was all he could say.

"Hi Mav'!. Looks like I'll be giving you intel again," she replied as she got set up

"You know her?" asked Nightshade.

"Yep. She was the head of the NLR intel agency. She gave all of our briefings during the war," he replied.

Moonstone began.

"During your raids yesterday, one of our satellites was over this area of the Empire..." She pointed to the area on the map with a laser pointer. "when we noticed something just East of Prairie City. We determined the missiles were coming from this area, but.didn't see anything until this image was captured," and she brought up the photo.

"The missiles seem to be coming out of nowhere, but look closer at the ground. You can see five triangle shadows directly underneath the missiles. The one in the middle is three times as large as the others. We couldn't figure it out until we caught a missile launch." She brought up the next photo and everyone gasped. The image showed part of what looked like a giant stingray shaped airship.

"We have our agents working overtime to get more info on whatever this is. All we know is it's an airship that launches missiles, and has a cloaking device. Plus it's escorted by four smaller ships."

The crowd stirred again.

"Their Changelings are starving, yet the have the money for that?" snapped Diamondback Two.

Slugger spoke again.

"As soon as we get enough info on it, we'll plan an attack. By capturing the Manechester air base, we'll have a better hoof in the door for the attack. We'll keep you informed."

As the squadron left the briefing, they talked about the development.

"Think of how much food the bits spent on those could've bought?" Surprise said.

"I'm pretty sure they had it finished before that incident. You can't make something like that overnight," replied Maverick.

"So how do you shoot something you can't see?" Stormy asked.

"It doesn't matter how much cloaking and stealth you have, you're still going to have radar and heat signatures. Especially on something that big," replied Maverick.

"That would be a huge blow to those cockroaches," added Nightshade.


-------------------------

Near Manechester
10:41 hours.

"All planes, begin operation."

The aircraft split apart and headed for their target areas. Maverick would lead Tornado, Kiwi, and Stormy in the ground attacks along with Diamondback and Tornado Squadrons. Nightshade would lead the other three in the air defense along with the CEAF Redler and Sunfire squadrons.

"Sky Eye to all planes: eight bandits 50 miles East and closing."

"Roger. Keep them off us Venom," Maverick said.

"My pleasure," she replied.

Maverick and the others began orbiting over the land battle, using their paveways, clusters, mavericks, and guns on bunkers and tanks around the city.

"I'm enjoying this," Stormy said.

"More than shooting down fighters?" Kiwi inquired.

"What if I said yes?" he replied.

"Then you're in the wrong wing," Tornado replied.

"Hey. Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history!" a member of Tornado squadron said.

"Come on guys focus," Maverick announced.

Meanwhile Nightshade and the others plus Redler squadron had engaged the bandits. More SU-27's.

"I'm on their lead," Nightshade announced.

"I've got your back," replied Black Widow. At 8 to 14 the odds were obviously in their favor.

"OK everypony, pair up and swat em'," Nightshade said. Widow paired up with her while Heart Throb went with Surprise.

Heart Throb drew first blood with a gun kill. Then Redler Five got one. Nightshade was about to get a lock on one when it pulled an air brake stop. She overshot, but Widow was there with a Sidewinder for him.

"Sorry Venom, it was wide open" she said.

"No problem. I'm not a bandit hog," she replied.

Just as Redler Seven downed the last bandit, Sky Eye came on.

"All planes: 8 bandits inbound at high speed from the East at 100 miles. Flight profile suggests missiles."

"I haven't seen any drones," Tornado said.

"Me neither," replied Redler One.

"Ice what level are they at?" Maverick asked.

"6200 like most of you," he replied.

"All planes get above eleven thousand," he announced. And they started climbing.

"Wait a minute:" Sky Eye said. "The missiles are climbing too!"

"What?" Maverick said. Everyone began looking for drones.

"I don't see anything," announced Nightshade.

"Split up to two levels!" yelled Maverick. They did, and the missiles split up too.

"This is bullshit!" yelled Ice.

About that time Black Widow looked up, and saw a faint glint high above them. She suddenly remembered something.

"Tempestra to all planes with litening pods. Invert," she announced.

"What?" Tornado replied.

"Do it!"

The four members of Garuda who were bombing did, and something odd happened.

"My Paveway just locked onto something up there! How?" yelled a stunned Tornado. Widow hit the afterburners and headed almost straight up.

"Everyone follow her, it's the drones!" yelled Maverick.

"How the hell did you know that?" Heart Throb asked Widow.

"I remember during training we were bombing ground targets illuminated by a pony with a laser on the ground. One was pointed at me by accident and my bomb picked it up," she replied.

"Who'd have thunk it?" replied Surprise.

"So they're aiming lasers at us to get target info for the missiles. That's new," commented Diamondback Two.

"63 miles and closing!" announced Ice.

Soon they were within visual range.

"There's five of them. They're different from the last ones," commented Nightshade.

"High altitude ones no doubt. Take em' out!" replied Maverick.

As soon as whoever was operating them saw they were spotted they tried evading, but there wasn't much they could do with the lumbering drones. Heart Throb got the first. Followed by Maverick, then Stormy and Nightshade. Black Widow got the last one.

"Sky Eye what's the missile status?" Maverick asked.

"They're between 18 and 24 34 miles out," he replied.

"To the deck everypony!" yelled Maverick, and everyone began diving for safety. This time the missiles stayed on the same level. The last plane of Tornado squadron got clear just as the missiles arrived and exploded.

"Damn that was close," Heart Throb said.

"Are we clear Sky Eye?" Maverick asked.

"For now. Get back into it!" he replied.

"We're on the way," he replied. And they were back in the fight.

Not long after Maverick dropped his last bomb, the group got some news.

"All planes: 14 bandits from the East. Flight profile suggests bombers escorted by fighters," announced Ice.

"Roger we're on the way," replied Maverick.

"We're getting low on fuel so it's up to you guys," Redler One said.

"Roger. Catch you later," replied Maverick. They sped off, and a few minutes later they were within radar range.

"Split up and let's try a vertical pincher on them," Maverick announced. The move partially worked, though the changeling fighters saw it and reacted accordingly.

"Six TU-160's escorted by J-10's" Maverick announced.

Nightshade started the battle with a head on encounter with a J-10, firing her missile at almost the same time he fired one at her. His missed, her's didn't. Maverick got the next one by diving on it and getting a gun kill.

With it now six to eight, it was time to go after the bombers.

"Nightshade, Widow, get after them," Maverick said.

"Consider it done," replied Nightshade. They streaked off and soon caught up with the bombers, which were now flying in a line. Nightshade fired a heat seeker at the first, hitting it in the right engines and sending it down. Then one split off and Black Widow went after it, leaving her to get the next one with an AMRAAM. Widow fired one at hers, but it only damaged one engine. The bomber began a roll and headed for the ground, and a farm.

"Quick finish it off Widow!" yelled Nightshade. Before she could, a J-10 got behind her and locked her up.

"DAMN!" She broke off with the bandit behind her. Tornado dropped behind them and gave chase, leaving Nightshade to handle it.

"Suddenly the flashback hit again. Instead of a farm, the bomber was once again heading for her village.

"NO! Not this time!" She gunned it, got a lock, and fired her last two Sidewinders and an AMRAAM. The heat seekers finished off the engines, and the radar guided hit dead center. The bomber blew apart less than a mile from the farm, and she barely dodged the debris cloud.

"Yeah! Take that you piece of shit!" she yelled.

"You OK Venom?" Maverick asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she replied.

Meanwhile Tornado had shot down the bandit that got on Widow's tail, and Kiwi got a 4th bomber. Then Maverick took out their squadron leader. The last Two fighters got close to the battle, but were intercepted by the Diamondbacks, who were still hanging around.

The four remaining J-10's tried to make a run for it.

"You're not getting away!" yelled Heart Throb, and one by one they fell from the sky. Heart Throb got the first, followed by Stormy, Surprise, and finally Maverick.

"Sky Eye to all planes: scope is clear."

"Garuda One to Sky Eye: We're almost bingo fuel and ammo. OK to leave station?," Maverick announced.

"Affirmative, you can return to base. The ground forces have captured Manechester. Great job!" And there were cheers.

"One step closer,"Tornado said.

"Now we need to take care of those airships," added Heart Throb.

"Well hopefully that will be the next mission," replied Maverick.

"Hey DJ Mystery is on," announced Surprise. And they tuned in.

"... That's right folks. Manechester is back under Crystal Empire control! All thanks to our armed forces and allies! And while I'm on I've gotta' give a shoutout to the CEAF pilot Nightshade. Nice job with Krunky last night!"

"Well imagine that," Nightshade said, blushing a little.

"Hey you're famous," replied Maverick. And the squadron returned home.