• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 1,809 Views, 24 Comments

Ace Combat: The Changeling War - Lonewolf78



The Crystal Empire has been invaded by the Changeling Kingdom, forcing the military and civillians to evacuate the country. With the help of Equestrian armed forces, will the Empire's remaining forces be able to regroup and take back the countr

  • ...
8
 24
 1,809

Chapter 2: Torn Apart

Stalliongrad AFB
Equestria
May 9 2023 13:22 hours.

"Well there it is. Our new home," Maverick said as the base came into view.

"I just can't believe all of this. Forced from our own country," Heart Throb said.

"I just want to get back in there and kick flank," Black Widow exclaimed, hitting her hoof on the canopy.

"Just be patient," Maverick replied. "We need to get reorganized and figure out where our forces stand before we go back in. I'm sure we'll have help from Equestria also.

They were now flying over the base. Maverick looked down and could see planes in both Solar Empire and New Lunar Republic colors.

"The last time I looked down on this airbase I was dropping bombs," he said as he lowered his landing gear.

"Oh they're gonna' love you then," Tornado replied sarcastically.

"I figured all of the planes would be one color now," Kiwi asked.

"Even though the two sides are together, the militaries are still separate entities. Except they have the United Equestria symbol on the tail now," replied Maverick.


The remnants of the Diamondback and Drakee squadrons landed first, followed by Maverick's.

"All planes head to the tarmac where you see the transport," the tower operator announced. Ground crewponies guided them to their spots, and the group shut down their planes and got out. The squadron walked over to a nearby hangar where several ponies were waiting along with the other squadrons. A bright green earth mare stepped forward to greet them.

"Welcome to Stalliongrad Air Force Base. I'm Colonel Citrina the base commander."

"Brigadier General Maverick. Commander of Crystal Empire fighter squadron 12," he replied as he shook her hoof.

"Hey you're the one who ended the last war!" Citrina yelled.

"Well it wasn't just me," he replied.

"He also bombed your base in that war," Surprise yelled, earning Maverick some shocked looks from the ponies from the base, and making his face turn red.

"Surprise how could you?" Kiwi replied.

"Doesn't surprise me. A couple of the pilots here did also," Citrina replied. The rest of the squadron introduced themselves. She seemed to be a little intimidated by Tempestra.

"What's your name?" Citrina asked.

"Staff sergeant Black Widow. Callsign Tempestra," she replied.

"How did you get a spider web cutie mark?" she asked . . Her horn started glowing, and she shot a beam at Tornado. In seconds he was wrapped up in spider web silk.

"Why me?" He asked as some of the others giggled.

"Because I like you," she replied. Another blast freed him.

"Oh, ok. Well if you'll follow me to our conference room we'll fill you in on how things go around here, and what yours and our commanders are planning," Citrina said as she turned around.

"Sounds good," replied Maverick, and they walked off.


--------------------------------


Southern outskirts of Gracemareia
14:12 hours.

With Changeling forces closing in from the North an East, hundreds of ponies began fleeing the city on a road that headed Southwest. The railroad bridge over the river on the South side had been destroyed, so the residents were heading to the road bridge which was still intact. From there they would head to the tracks to catch a train that would take them to a refugee camp that had been set up in Equestria near the border.

Among them was Moondancer who, like other ponies, had gathered up what personal belongings she could in a suitcase and some saddlebags. As she neared the bridge she could see smoke and a couple of APC's. A soldier was standing on top of one yelling at the citizens.

"Speed it up ponies! We've gotta blow this bridge so the enemy can't come further South!"

She then saw where the smoke was coming from. The wreckage of a plane was near the bridge. She recognized it as an F-15S. A bolt of fear went through her as she approached it. Her fears were confirmed. On the right side of the nose was her husband's cutie mark.

"No...No.... I...It can't...." She collapsed and started crying.She had lost her daughter, and her husband.

After a short time one of the soldiers came over.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

She looked at the nose of the plane, and then started crying again.

"It..It..."

"Don't say anymore," he said. "Come on we've gotta' go," and he helped her up and across the bridge.

Several minutes later she was at the tracks with the other ponies. As they waited to board the train, they heard some jets approaching from the Southeast. Many began to panic, but a soldier told them not to worry. The sound turned into a formation of Typhoons in the colors of the former Solar Empire. They screamed overhead and continued Northwest.

"That's right folks. Equestria already has our back in this matter," the soldier said. A few ponies gave up a cheer before getting on the train. Soon they were on their way to Equestria. On the way to the border they passed two more trains waiting on side tracks to go North. Both were being escorted by apache gunships painted for the New Lunar Republic Army, and occasionally more jets could be heard overhead.

They finally crossed the border, and a few minutes later had arrived at the camp. Moondancer stepped off and looked around. There were already several large tents up, and more being assembled. Red Cross ponies were setting up a food line, and the United Equestria Army had a medical detachment there.She then headed for the registration tent.

After registering her name was put on a large bulletin board with others who were there. She looked, but didn't see any names she recognized yet. More would be coming in though.

"Guess I'll explore my new home," Moondancer thought to herself.


---------------------------------------------


Canterlot Castle
Equestria
16:30 hours.

Members of the armed forces and the joint chiefs of staff had gathered in the castle's chambers with both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Soon Cadence, Shining Armor, and the others who fled walked in. They were immediately greeted by a purple alicorn.

"Big brother!" she yelled.

"Twiley!" Armor replied, and they hugged.

"Don't forget about me."

"Cadence!" Twilight ran over and they did the usual dance before hugging also.

"I'm so glad you made it out of there," Twilight said.

"I have to thank our Air Force for that," Armor replied.

"Are you ready for this?" she asked Cadence.

"Yes. Let's do it," she replied, and they sat down at the table. Celestia was the first to speak.

"We have gathered here to discuss the sudden, and unwarranted invasion of the Crystal Empire by the Changeling Kingdom, and our plans to address it.

First off: Cadence. What is the status of the crystal heart?"

"We were forced to leave it. We couldn't risk disturbing the magic there and here," she replied.

"But that could give the Changelings a huge amount of power. What if they take it back to their kingdom?" A white unicorn asked.

"Don't worry Rarity. It won't work outside of the castle," Twilight replied.

"Plus it would rob the Changelings of what they want," added Luna.

"We did engage the castle's steel doors and locks, so it will take them awhile to get in," Armor said.

"So how are you going to help us?" another member of the Crystal Empire government asked.

"You have been a loyal friend since even before the takeover by Discord. We are neutral to the Changelings so we will offer our full support in defending the remaining portion of the country under your control, and retaking it," Celestia replied.

Luna spoke up.

"Right now our military can't do much because we're still mobilizing. Your remaining air and ground forces have retreated to Sibley, plus more of your air forces are now at our Marestrom and Stalliongrad air bases. Our aircraft are providing cover over Sibley as we speak with more on the way. In addition two of our carriers and other ships will meet up with your navy there soon and launch more patrols and cruise missile attacks."

"Do you know the status of Gracemareia?" Armor asked.

"Not yet. The Changelings have already moved in a sizable amount of anti aircraft weapons, plus there's still the threat of those burst missiles. Once our Arkbird is over the area again we can get some images, which should be in the next 20 hours," Twilight replied.

"Yeah how did they get those burst missiles?" snapped the commander of the CEAF.

"Obviously there's been some espionage on their part. We are looking into it," replied Luna. The burst missiles were invented by the New Lunar Republic shortly before the last war, and up until now were exclusive to Equestria.

"What will happen once all of the forces are mobilized?" another member of the Empire government asked.

"In a bit we will give Chrysalis an ultimatum to get out, or we will help you push her out. If she hasn't begun to pull out by that time, which should be around two PM tomorrow, we will start," replied Celestia.

"Do not worry Cadence. We will get your country back," replied Luna.

"We will be in debt to you forever," Cadence said.

"Celestia smiled. "It's nothing. Go ahead and get some rest."


---------------------------------

Village of Kurain
Southwest of Los Alicones, Crystal Empire
17:02 hours.


The normally peacefull village hidden in the woods was being rattled by the sounds of gunfire and explosions. A detachment of the Changeling Army was approaching the village from the East, though they were being held off by a few citizens, and members of a small militia that lived in and near it.

"Dammit there's too many of them!" a unicorn yelled.

"Keep at it or the village is doomed!" yelled another as he fired his M-16.

Suddenly a grenade landed near them. They tried to run but it was too late.

"We've got two down!," an earth pony shouted to the leader.

"DAMMIT," the purple pegasus cursed. "Split up and keep attacking. I'm gonna' evacuate the village to the safe haven!"

"OK. In case we don't make it, it's been a nice one," he replied.

"Don't say that." And she ran off to the village. Her friend and other villagers were waiting.

"We've gotta' go to the cave now!" She yelled.

"I thought you were holding them off?" a stallion asked.

"We were, but they keep coming. We're outnumbered," she replied. "Now let's go!" And the villagers began running out of the village to a secluded cave only they knew about.

Her friend was the last to leave.

"Let's go!" the white earth pony said.

They started to run, but when she turned around, she saw the Changelings had entered the village, and one spotted them.

"Run Sundance!"

"No Nightshade! Come with us!" she replied.

"I can't they saw us! I've gotta lead them away! Now Go!" she yelled. And the Sundance ran off.

Nightshade threw a grenade at a couple of approaching changelings, killing both. She ran to the West, and as planned the others chased after her.

Knowing the area like the back of her hoof, she would stop at various spots where she could throw a grenade or shoot before running again. Soon she was out of grenades and low on ammo. Unbeknownst to her a changeling was flying above her above the tree canopy. When she entered a small clearing the changeling dived and tackled her. Within seconds the rest had caught up, and she was caught.

The squad leader stepped forward.

"Well. You and your rebel fffffriends put up a commendable fffffinght, but it's over now," he said.

"Go ahead and kill me because I'm not doing shit for you," she spat back.

"I would, but we're under orders to to capture assssss many ponies alive as posssssssible."

"The village is empty," another changeling said to him.

"Noble move, but we'll fffffind them ssssssooner or later," he said as they hauled her off.

They loaded her and one more pony in a truck and took them to Prairie City. There they were loaded on a train and taken to a prison camp that had been set up, at Gracemareia Air Force Base.

"Well imagine that. Never thought I'd step foot in this place again," she thought to herself as her and the other prisoners were marched to a hangar that was now a holding cell. The base was familliar to her because she had been there during her stint in the Legion of Discord Air Force. And before that, her time in the Garuda squadron. She knew all of the ins and outs of the base. And if she was lucky, it would aid her in her escape.


-------------------------------------


Stalliongrad AFB
20:15 hours.

Maverick and the others were watching news coverage of the event on the Equestria News Network when Citrina showed up.

"Well Equestria is about to give Chrysalis the ultimatum, so I hope you ponies will be ready for your first sortie," she said.

"I'm ready now," Black Widow replied.

"What are we doing?" Maverick asked.

"Nothing for a couple of days as we still need to regroup," she replied.

"God dammit," snapped Black Widow.

"Calm down," replied Maverick.

"There will be a briefing at 0700 tomorrow on what we are planning to do", Citrina said to them.

"Well we better get some sleep then," Maverick replied.

"See you tomorrow", replied Citrina, and she left.

Tomorrow would be the beginning of the liberation of the Empire.