• Published 29th Jan 2012
  • 911 Views, 8 Comments

Subject #126 - Neon Venue



Equestria needs a P.M.D., and Test Tube is the one to create it. But can he hurt a sentient weapon?

  • ...
 8
 911

Celestia's Notice

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." -Edgar Allan Poe

>+++<

Test Tube flopped onto his bed, still wearing his full clothing. It had been a long, long day, filled with many experiments. All of which failed. Miserably. Test sighed to himself. Three thousand, two hundred and fifty tests to supervise in one day. It can really take its toll sometimes. There were nights where Test didn't want to sleep, as he knew he would only be greeted by horrific nightmares. The dreams that plagued him each and every night, taunting his failures by forcing gruesome images into his head. Images of all the lives he had ended in the name of "science". Images of mutated test subjects who would never see the light of day again, forever cursed to be abandoned into the Pit. Images of the subjects who didn't make it through, their twisted bodies peering into him, eyes glazed over and pleading for mercy...

Test flopped himself onto his bed, and nuzzled the covers. He didn't want to see the nightmares, but he needed some sort of rest and he couldn't keep siphoning sedatives from the medical supply. The scientist closed his eyes and drifted into sleep, his mind wandering. Tonight would be just like the others.

>+++<

Upkeep sighed as he trotted along, heading towards his last task of the night. This was the only part of the job he had problems with. It always managed to shake him up, no matter how much he tried to make some sort of entertainment out of it.

The Pit. A giant room connected throughout the back of the levels, mutated test subjects would be herded into the Pit and left there. And at the end of the day, it was Upkeep who had to approach the Pit and begin the incineration process. He was the one that had to put the poor beings out of their misery. He was the one that seared their flesh, rendering them unrecognizable. He disintegrated them. He charred their bones. He killed them. But it wasn't his fault. It was just his job.

Upkeep stepped up to the control console and peered inside the Pit through the observation window. All of the mutant ponies stared back at him, waiting expectantly for him to release them. They crowded around the window, shuffling against each other. There was always a rumble of moans emanating from the Pit, as if the gaping maw was in tangible pain, crying out with the voices of a thousand ponies. Tears came to Upkeep's eyes as he stared into the eyes of one of the mutants. It's left eye was completely white, the iris completely gone. But other than that, it seemed fine. I thought only mutated ponies got sent here! She looks fine! It spoke, it's voice distinctly female.

"...Why...do you...do this t-to us...?"

Upkeep blinked back tears. "I-It isn't me... I'm just hear to clean up after them. I'm sorry..."

The mutant mare attempted to speak, but Upkeep shut the observation window. He took a deep breath before taking out his keys and finding the one marked 'PIT'. He entered it into it's slot on the console, turned it, and prepared to push the button. Is...is this right? Should we be able to trick ponies into giving up their lives? Upkeep shook the thoughts out of his head. The division always told him these thoughts were what lead to death. The only way you left C.U.R.F.E.W. was if you had a family. If not, you met the same fate as the mutants, once your time came. Upkeep sighed and pushed the button, igniting the incinerator. He could hear the mutant mare over the roar of the inferno.

Her screams sounded louder than the others.

>+++<

Test sat up. He trotted around the lab, observing all of the ongoing experiments. Noticing the notes strewn around the floor, he picked up a paper. It had to do with cloning. Why am I researching cloning? We finished that project, but found no application in pony society. Test set down the paper when something glinted in the corner of his eye. He turned and saw a machine he thought he recognized. But somepony was inside. They were glowing rainbow colors, the light reflecting off their coat. The pony was beautiful, and Test took a step towards the machine, trying to-

>+++<

"W-Wha..."

Lights were flashing all around Test as he rose, taking in his surroundings. He was still in his room, and the floor was emitting a hum. "I apologize for the inconvenience, my liege, but the Director has called an emergency meeting for all C.U.R.F.E.W. employees. Please report to the assembly hall." Symmetry blatantly stated. Test sighed, getting out of bed and readjusting his goggles and lab coat. He made his way to the assembly hall, meeting up with Upkeep on the way there. "Hey, Upkeep. How's it goin'." Test said nonchalantly, rubbing the lenses of his goggles.

"Fine..." Upkeep replied, looking at the ground.

"...Upkeep, I can tell something happened."

Upkeep turned and stared blankly at Test. "...Just a little shaken up...I'll be fine." Upkeep threw in a fake little smile to convince his friend. It appeared to work.

"Alright, well just let me know how I can help."

"Can do."

The two of them found their way into the assembly hall, brushing against their fellow employees to get a good view. Test thought back to his dream. I wonder what that was all about. What was that machine called again? The lights in the room dimmed, allowing a spotlight to shine on the podium. A blue stallion with a navy-blue mane walked into the light. His cutie mark depicted two crescent moons.

"Good evening, C.U.R.F.E.W. employees. I am the director of the Canterlot Underground Research Facility, Moonlight Sparkle. I bet you're all wondering why I called this meeting. I've recieved a troubling letter from the princess recently, and I will now read it aloud."

Moonlight produced a roll of paper from the podium. It was simple parchment, like most letters, and was stamped with the royal seal.


"Director Moonlight,

I am contacting you today regarding the testing at the Canterlot Underground Research Facility. It has been three years since I've gotten a report from you regarding any progress. I have also checked with my supervisors and have found that the number of deceased test subjects has sky-rocketed over the past three years. I am sorry to inform you that I will be cutting your supply of test ponies. Unless you plan on showing progress, I will have to shut down the research facility due to high maintenance costs. I look forward to your next report.

Signed,

Princess Celestia."

There were several gasps around the room, but for the most part everypony was in stunned silence. An orange pony in the back stood up, shouting his question to the director. "W-What will happen to us?"

Moonlight sighed and looked straight into the eyes of the pony. "If the facility dies...you will die with it."

Now there were several shouts, and massive murmurs amongst the crowd. "Now wait everypony!" Moonlight attempted to get a reign on the crowd. "This isn't the end yet! We can still fix this!"

"How can we test without test subjects?"

"You're going to kill all of us?"

"I say you die with us!"

The crowd was in an uproar now. Test ran the situation through his head, going over thousands of scenarios at once. How could he keep his life? Could he really fix this when Celestia has condemned them so easily? He went over every memory, every detail. Then suddenly he had the answer. It was the machine from his dream.

Test slowly stood up and raised his hoof. The crowd immediately went quiet as one of their brightest brains stood still. "Yes, Dr. Test Tube?"

"Sir, I do not understand what the problem is. We have the means to overcome this. If Celestia won't supply us with test subjects, why can't we manufacture our own?"

Moonlight pondered this a moment before answering. "That would be a great idea, but we are attempting to infuse ponies with concentrated rainbow. How can we be sure the manufactured subjects' DNA won't immediately reject the serum?"

"Simple. We can code the rainbow into the subject's DNA, so when the subject is created it will already be infused with rainbow."

"And what can we use to code and manufacture the new test subjects?" Moonlight questioned, frowning at Test.

Test grinned. "The GZPC-X4 Mach II Integrator."

>+++<

A/N: Whelp, if you're reading this, good. It's been two chapters, and I'm glad you like it enough to continue reading. Drop a comment or two in case you spot mistakes, as I still haven't gotten a pre-reader. I plan on finishing this fic, but I'm still open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks again for reading, and have a wonderful time.

~Neon