• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 1,241 Views, 6 Comments

Twilight's Dismay - Ractrin



Twilight's mourning the loss of her friends, and it seems to be taking a mental toll. Celestia is thinking of taking action in order to save her young pupil's mind

  • ...
1
 6
 1,241

The Graveyard

“I was afraid…that I’d out live you.” Spike said, as he looked over Twilight’s shoulder.
“I know, but I never imagined that I would out live my friends” she said through tears. It had been one hundred and fifty years since the grave stones in front of her had been erected in Canterlot Castle’s courtyard. the one Twilight sat before read “Apple Jack, Element of Honesty”. with a slight flap of her wings, Twilight lifted herself up and turned to leave. Before she could take to many steps away from the now fully grown dragon, she stopped in front of a partially broken stone. On it rested a lighting bolt cutie mark under which said “Rainbow Dash, Element of Loyalty”. she placed a hoof on the stone and a tear ran down her cheek. A short moment passed when a large scaly wing was felt draping itself over her back. She opened her eyes and looked over to see Spike standing there. Twilight let out a subtle smile as they turned to leave the circular courtyard.

“She misses them sister” Luna said as she watched the two friends leave the graveyard. Celestia watched the scene from standing next to her younger sibling.
“Yes she does.” the ruler of day responded with slight sympathy hinted in her tone.
“Maybe it was unwise of us to allow her to gain such power?” Celestia let out a low sigh, and appeared to be pondering her sister’s query. Luna watched her sister’s expression as Celestia dug deep in her mind for the correct answer.
“It is who she is Luna. Twilight Sparkle is more than just the Element of Magic. She is also a being of magic. To hinder her prowess would have been more unfair than letting her grow to her full potential.”
“Even at the cost of her friends?” Luna looked down at the lifeless courtyard, her vision falling on each and every stone.
“How many friends, lovers, and company have we ourselves outlived sister?” Celestia’s question fell heavy on Luna as she remembered her first crush from the time before she had become Nightmare Moon. While they had dated the entirety of his life, they had never wed due to her parents not allowing it. They had said that she was not to become a widow because of nature. The day of his passing, she lived those words.

“Twilight, are you going to be okay?” Spike asked as they walked along the corridors of Canterlot Castle.
“I will be fine, Spike.” she said as they meandered to the Starswirled the bearded wing. “I may have lost my first friends, but their children have become my friends. And their children. And their children.” She stopped outside the doors and looked up at the green and purple reptile. “And I still have you, my longest friend.”
“Yep! I’ll always be by your side Twilight!” she smiled at his comment as she pushed through the doors. Inside, atop the crystal hour glass sat Sky Blitz, Rainbow Dash’s 5th generation grand daughter. She was reading an old book of Daring Do. The white furred, cyan manned pegasus reminded Twilight of how many times she had walked into this room to see Rainbow Dash doing that very same thing.
“How are you today Sky?” Twilight shouted up as she walked by, flapping a wing to readjust it on her back.
“I’m doing fine!” the Pegasus shouted back without looking up. It then donned on her that Twilight was back and she looked up from her reading with a jerk. “Hey Twilight!” she called after the violet mare as she sat the book down and hopped off the hour glass.
“Yes?” when she had stopped to look at Sky, she noticed that Spike had not followed her into the room. Sky Blitz landed next to her and grinned with excitement. All she did was stand there, starring at Twilight with her held grin. “Yes?” Twilight repeated after a moment of silence between the two.
“My mane! Do you notice anything about it?!” Twilight looked up at the young mare’s hair and noticed a familiar design.
“It…looks like…”
“Gammy Rainbow Dash’s!” she started dancing all four hooves in excitement. “Now you won’t have to miss her so much!” without saying anything she leaned forward and hugged her friend.
“Thank you, Sky Blitz…but please, let your mane out.”
“Does it bother you?” Sky asked stepping back from the hug. Unsure how to answer Twilight just looked unsurely into Sky’s glistening yellow orbs.
“I…Uh…no Sky. It doesn’t bother me. I just want you to be your own individual.”
“I am! But Gammy Dash was the most awesome flyer in Equestria! I want to be JUST like her!”
“That’s not wanting to be your own individual…” Twilight stated as she turned down one of the aisles. Sky followed closely behind her.
“Okay maybe not JUST like her…after all I don’t secretly have a crush on you.” Twilight stopped in her steps as her wings popped open uncontrollably. Her face burned with embarrassment. “So it was true! Mom told me a story of how Gammy Dash dated a few guys, and even managed to get knocked up by one, but she secretly always wanted to be with you.” Twilight looked to the floor, tears starting to stream from her eyes.

“Yes Sky, Rainbow Dash and I…were close. It may have never seemed like it because of how often Pinkie Pie and her ‘hung out’, but she started coming over for regular sessions of Reading the Daring Do novels. Then when we ran out of those we moved on to another series and then another. I offered for her to just move in one day, half serious and half joking. Much to my shock she agreed. However, the week she was going to move in, she ran into a pegasus while clearing the sky. Literally they ran into one another.” Sky giggled at this, slightly interrupting Twilight’s concentration. With a subtle cough she continued. “They had dinner that night, kind of an apology from him for spraining her wing. And to my dismay, they fell in love.” Twilight let a small frown cross her lips. After a moment of thinking she looked back at the perpetually interested Sky Blitz. “I’ve…I’ve never told anypony this…but I loved her…like I should have loved a stallion.”
“Mom said that Gammy Dash loved you too, but uh…Lightning Thunder stole her heart.”
Twilight looked away from the white mare, fighting back a tear.
“I don’t wanna talk abut it, Sky. I’ve been hurting all day.” Twilight flapped her wings once to readjust them on her back and then walked away. When she was a few meters away she stopped and looked over her shoulder. “Your mane, does in fact look good like that by the way.” with that she continued out of the aisle and around the corner.

“I think we need to do something for Twilight.” Spike said looking up the throne’s stairs to Celestia and Luna. “I don’t think it’s healthy for her to go on like this.”
“I had hoped, that you, and the decedents of her friends could keep her sanity, but the bond she had formed in Ponyville so long ago was strong and hard to break. That was why I had her friends buried here.” Celestia said. “But it would seem the right course of action would be for her to forget her friends, so that she may allow herself to move on.”
“That will be hard, Tia.” Luna said. “She lost more than just her friends…her parents, her brother…”
“I am aware, Luna. However we must do what we can for Twilight to remain cohesive. Should she become rampant, we would be forced to destroy her, or worse, encase her in stone as we had done to Discord for a some time.”
“Then what are we to do?” Luna asked.
Looking Spike in the eyes, Celestia spoke, “We must remove everything from her that would remind her of her friends.”
“Even Sky Blitz?” Spike asked, assuming the statement had been directed at him.
“Even Sky Blitz”